3.3 and why it was patched in (Devs and Musco should read since they forgot)

Lhancelot

I don't know. Yes, James was responsible directly for a lot of the problems in the 1.x era when he was producer and creative director on the title. However, he has moved up the chain and while SWTOR is still under him, he has a lot of other responsibilities as well.

I personally believe this is Ben's direct baby. When he wrote that letter about all the exciting things coming, blah, blah, blah, that was him talking. I think he had a vision for what he thought would make this MMO great again (a return to solo story). The timing of the change in focus is too coincidental to not think he was involved.

Now that the subs started to crash, he was probably getting heat from the upper echelon at EA and came out with this desperate method (GC system) of trying to retain subs.

The issue is, he was completely wrong. I mean, after all, it is the first video game he has worked on and the first title he has ever been in charge of. I think, because of intense internal pressure, in all honesty, he is not thinking clearly (or the better way to say this is he doesn't have enough experience to know what to do). So he goes forward with this half-baked system in desperation and, in an effort for him to save face with the company, he is going to destroy a good product in the process.

Won't be the first guy in this industry to take a title down with them in flames.

you put my thoughts into writing very well. :) Hence why I say Ben needs to go. Nothing personal against him, but he's in over his head and has proven to be incompetent. In business, you go at that point. If he goes quick and someone starts listening they might save things. If he drags this out for months, the game may hang around a while but it will never recover even to what it has for players today.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this all cant only be bens failure or be put on the devs shoulders. even eric ( even if we draw him through the cocoa :p time by time ) isnt the problem. we all know whom to aim at. but all our hopes wont change anything.

i think if they could get the time and budget they need, they would transform this game into a jewel. but they simply cant.

their hands are bound to €A and their decisions.

€A dont give a shyt about customers. didnt we learned this lesson already with

sims, simcity, fifa, nfs and a lot more games from them. :o

and with ea forcing us to play half stupid games, dumped down in dlcs/seasonpass/micromanagment soaked BS, we wont get anything valuable games. heading on $$ and only mainstream wont change it. with this mentality we cant expect any good things from this company...the only solution is to boycott their games. wich i already do since years. never played any new game from them since swtor was bought.

do me a favor mates. google pogo. u kill urself through laughing. charging for this kinda crap a monthly sub for 10 bucks is incredible and questionable.

and if u do more researching it get even more wicked

and no i'm not a influencer. that kinda companys promote their dumb assets alone without my help

this trend started by ea long time ago early 2k, changed their games in to BS games. my opinion.

Edited by ShinDoRai

Well, people make interesting points and have interesting theories on why the devs put in 5.0 and 5.1 which totally destroyed all of the dev work they did in 3.3.

3.3 made gear grinding for pvp gears much more palatable and they even explained why, if you check out the 3.3 patch notes I posted in the original post here.

What kind of logic is it, where 2 years ago it was understood PVP and grinding for the entry gear sets doesn't work and only discourages people more?

2 years ago they understood it made better sense to make it so entry level gear sets were more easily gained that way those newly entering PVP were on a more even ground with those sporting top tier gear sets.

They also made it so you could transfer currency used to buy PVP gears, mods, heal packs, adrenals, etc. between your different characters which meant we had more freedom to play more characters. That was good.

Less flexibility and less options is BAD.

Lengthy gear grinding for entry gear sets with bonuses on them is BAD.

Weaker bolster making the disparity between gears even more pronounced is BAD.

Making RNG the primary method to obtain gears is BAD.

Fixing things that aint broke is BAD.

5.0 and 5.1 added nothing but frustration and ruination to a perfectly fine working gearing system. End of story.

Edited by Lhancelot

Lengthy gear grinding for entry gear sets with bonuses on them is BAD.

Weaker bolster making the disparity between gears even more pronounced is BAD.

Making RNG the primary method to obtain gears is BAD.

Fixing things that aint broke is BAD.

5.0 and 5.1 added nothing but frustration and ruination to a perfectly fine working gearing system. End of story.

Well said.

Surprised the forum Knights haven't chimed in yet to defend their precious EAWare and slander the OP.

They'd only be making Bioware look worse trying to defend the current system when Bioware themselves said in 3.3 that a system like this one doesn't work.

I'd like to see them make a logical and rational argument around that.

I don't even see Bioware answering this because the current system totally contradicts everything they've said in the past. This topic is radioactive for Bioware to even attempt to justify it. But I would be insterested to see them try. I just hope Eric is wearing a radiation suite and taking iodine tablets before he does. I feel sorry for him if they ask him to reply to this by him self

Can any of you imagine what they are saying internally about this thread? Probably along the lines of "ol'sh*t" they remember and have proof, now what do we say or do? "I know, let's just ignore it like it never happened"..

They'd only be making Bioware look worse trying to defend the current system when Bioware themselves said in 3.3 that a system like this one doesn't work.

I don't even see Bioware answering this because the current system totally contradicts everything they've said in the past. This topic is radioactive for Bioware to even attempt to justify it. But I would be insterested to see them try. I just hope Eric is wearing a radiation suite and taking iodine tablets before he does. I feel sorry for him if they ask him to reply to this by him self

Can any of you imagine what they are saying internally about this thread? Probably along the lines of "ol'sh*t" they remember and have proof, now what do we say or do? "I know, let's just ignore it like it never happened"..

I doubt they'll respond. They'll just either delete the thread or movie it to Off Topic to die, like all the other critical threads that provide evidence and logic.

You're right about that. I would love to see these dudes try to defend this ****.

I doubt they'll respond. They'll just either delete the thread or movie it to Off Topic to die, like all the other critical threads that provide evidence and logic.

Yeah, if the thread stays live and active for too long it may all of a sudden disappear. But if they move it to off topic then we need to get Eric to move it back because it's not off topic.

If they delete it then it just proves their guilt. It's a no win situation for them on this one.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Yeah, if the thread stays live and active for too long it may all of a sudden disappear. But if they move it to off topic then we need to get Eric to move it back because it's not off topic.

If they delete it then it just proves their guilt. It's a no win situation for them on this one.

They have zero qualms about moving threads to Off Topic even when they're on topic. That's what happens to any critical thread that gets too many posts/views (like the thread about SWTOR winning the Worst MMO Business Model 'award' on a website last year). And again, that's when they're not outright deleting them without a word.

Edited by AscendingSky

They have zero qualms about moving threads to Off Topic even when they're on topic. That's what happens to any critical thread that gets too many posts/views (like the thread about SWTOR winning the Worst MMO Business Model 'award' on a website last year). And again, that's when they're not outright deleting them without a word.

I noticed my thread I created the other day asking people who are unsubbing to post how long they've been subbed for.

We started getting a fair amount of responses which is why I think they moved it. They didn't want people to see how many people were unsubbing, especially how many of the long term players leaving.

Yeah I saw the worst MMO model moved too. You think anything to do with the game would be in general, while other things like "what game should I play next" should go to off topic. But off topic is usually used to hide things from most of the community.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Speaking of 'why it was patched' ...

in 1.1 they got rid of RNG battlemaster tokens that dropped in battlemaster bags in PVP, replacing them with commodations to purchase the gear.

in 1.2 they removed the "pre-destined loot" system from Story difficulty (used to be random assignment of gear pieces in story mode ops based on base class).

Stepping on the same rake, anyone?

i have a thread going on in the german forum.

"swtor and the future" it have over 45k hits. but less here in english. but on the german side i pull it every time back after a new DLC :rolleyes:

just to remember what they did over the last year.. but the german sections is already flat out and nobody realy care there anything at all, guess why :cool:

SWTOR history is full of BW making mistakes and/or devs changing their minds.

Making a mistake and learning from it is okay, I know they're only humans after all. But when you start to repeat your mistakes, something is going wrong.

Never forget to look the past to prepare the future, they seem to don't know about that. :rolleyes:

Edited by RswanBing

Making a mistake and learning from it is okay, I know they're only humans after all. But when you start to repeat your mistakes, something is going wrong.

Never forget to look the past to prepare the future, they seem to don't know about that. :rolleyes:

I wonder if at this point, new ways to develop the game are included in old choices, and BW chooses how to move forward with development with past choices and new options via RNG.

:rak_04:

Edited by Talon_strikes

I wonder if at this point, new ways to develop the game are included in old choices, and BW chooses how to move forward with development with past choices and new options via RNG.

:rak_04:

I'm not really sure they move forward anything. It's just my opinion but seems to me they don't have a real, gobal direction at all. It's what a producer is supposed to give, but I really don't think they really know where they're going at all.

Looking back on constant direction changes since KOTFE, I see them as a pack of panicked animals, running in every direction to find an issue, without no real idea of what to do. :D

How is the current system a repeat of their old mistakes? From BW's perspective the old system did not encourage or reward long term play and that cost them users in the long run. The RNG bags from release got a lot of criticisms but the fact is that the first PVPers in this game were the most dedicated and the most loyal players: before the first merges, when almost every server was at low pop with only a few dozen people on fleet at any given time, both Fatman and Jung Ma (east coast pvp servers) were often hitting "full" and "heavy".

the devs couldnt develop much here, cos they were entangled for "star wars the force awakens".

they told disney, that rehasing is what the comunnity loves. s

and knowing from here how great the story is, they gave their support to the filmcrew of JarrJarr Abrahams team :p

thats why we got so much content the past 2 years :rolleyes:

How is the current system a repeat of their old mistakes? From BW's perspective the old system did not encourage or reward long term play and that cost them users in the long run. The RNG bags from release got a lot of criticisms but the fact is that the first PVPers in this game were the most dedicated and the most loyal players: before the first merges, when almost every server was at low pop with only a few dozen people on fleet at any given time, both Fatman and Jung Ma (east coast pvp servers) were often hitting "full" and "heavy".

LOL. At the time you are talking about the game was all but dead. The mistakes: Random gear, limited end game content, all story, poor planning, poor communication, failing to listen to feedback.

Sound familiar?