Suspending Game Logins

EricMusco

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

Quick update, the servers aren't going to be up quite as quick as I said before. New ETA is another 30 minutes from right now, apologies for the delay.

-eric

Don't apologise, just add your two "shutdowns" in two days, and more I can remember, to the time we, as customers, paid, that's a fair deal.

Edited by Fresita

Alright friends, let's talk about why we had the emergency maintenance. There was an issue that when someone in certain zones completed a Mission and hit the accept button to complete it, they would receive the rewards but the Mission wouldn't actually complete. This meant someone could infinitely hit the accept button over and over again and reap those rewards.

This created a bad situation for two reasons. First, it was extremely exploitable. Two, someone could get stuck where they couldn't progress because of their Mission not completing. For this reason we brought the servers down and started exploring if we could fix it live, without a patch (we can!).

We believe we can get this issue resolved and get the servers back online within about 45 minutes from the time of my post (hopefully sooner!). I will continue to pass on updates as I have them, thanks everyone.

-eric

Thank you for posting quickly and keeping us updated. We appreciate(at least I do, cant speak for everyone) you taking the time to keep us informed. While I tend to be a little harsh towards BW lately, this is the type of interaction that will make the swtor community a more upbeat and pleasant place to be. Bugs like this happen and you taking care of this one quickly and openly is a very nice thing. Thank you and the hidden programming staff for a quick resolution.

Heh, someone on Dromand Kaas was reporting this exact issue in gen chat, I had a strong suspicion that this was the issue.

I had this happen to me with companion missions, while in my DK SH. I had to leave the SH in order to complete them, however, as another person pointed out, hitting accept on the pending missions repeatedly gave you duplicate crafting items, and definitely could be exploitable so long as you remained in the DK SH. I didn't try to exploit it myself once I figured out what was going on, but I'm sure others definitely did.

Glad to hear they're trying to fix the issue.

Edited by YukariOro
more information

Hey folks,

Quick update, the servers aren't going to be up quite as quick as I said before. New ETA is another 30 minutes from right now, apologies for the delay.

-eric

Come on Eric, you can do it... resuscitate those hamsters! :D

Thank you for keeping us posted! It's always a bit concerning when you login to the launcher and get to an offline server screen and it isn't patch day.

So *high five* for communications today. :)

Hey folks,

We are temporarily suspending logins on all SWTOR servers as we investigate an issue. During this period the Shadowlands will be unavailable. I will share more details and timing as I have them.

-eric

Are the devs serious, taking us offline during the weekend?

Rewarding the 'snitches'. Ok, fine you guys run the game. But, how about the paid subscribers that will be further hindered from playing the game, not to mention the fact that never in the time of the game have the subscribers been reimbursed or credited for the numerous hours 'fixing' the glitches and exploits in the game?

Come on people, you turn the exploiters in to make the game more enjoyable and fair to all, not for person gain.

I BOUGHT 90 DAYS SUB, a month ago

IF THEY FREEZED THE SUB TIMER EVERY TIME THEY GO INTO MAINTENANCE,

I WOULD HAVE STILL 90 DAYS SUB.

And yet, somehow, I find your math flawed.

Just because you didn't play when it was up, doesn't mean it didn't count.

At most, you'd have lost 5-7 days. Assuming outages last all day, which they don't.

A week ago you wrote that there will be no consequences for the players exploiting that one uprising boss and now you expect us to believe you actively think about rewarding players for revealing exploits to you? You probably dont realize how hypocritical you sound.

Once you do the dishes there is a small chance for a bonus boss in the bedroom. Sometimes spawns on the couch too.

I'm sure their policies and procedures give them leeway in regards to how they handle exploits at their discretion (hope that makes sense). Not to mention that the Uprisings boss is a different topic--and unlike this, that wouldn't affect the in-game economy.

I don't think they'll incentivize exploit reports, but as Andryah said, keep it informal; something like this should remain at their discretion.

As someone in the thread mentioned earlier, the main reward should be that you are being a good, fair and honest customer. I can agree with that assessment as well.

Edited by Talon_strikes

Please hurry, my wife has started talking to me..

My condolence. I don't know how that must feel though. :p

Just came back from the groceries, checked the dev tracker and now I feel updated as if I would have a live newsticker available. Nice one.

I know I dropped this somewhere on Twitter... but for the all rage and ranting about refunds and compensation...

Even if you pay monthly and don't take advantage of the annual discount rate, you're paying about $0.02 an hour.

2 cents... I doubt they're cutting you a check for the what, $0.06 this cost you of your monthly sub.

I don't like it anymore than you do, but stuff happens, and this wasn't little stuff. Major exploiting took place and needed addressed immediately and the best resolution in that type of scenario is immediate shut down to stop future exploitation until it can be patched.

Sit back, watch some netflix, play another game, go play in that big golden thing in the sky for a bit (...I think nongamers call it "sun"), and come back for some womwom & pewpew in a bit.

Ok I thankyou for actually posting and keeping us informed however it seems that you managed to fix the exploit without bringing the game down wich is great but now you are brining the game down to find the people that exploited it ? Hay I am happy that you will find the people that exploited as you should but is it really relevant to bring the servers down now so that subs are actually paying for you to find them im sure this could have been done during weekly maintenece or is it something else just trying to find out what is acctuaally going on.

Yeah, and a bullseye above their heads too? God no, no titles...nobody wants to be the snitch...snitches get stitches...

I don't know. Honestly I have to say when someone has wronged me, or did something that would negatively impact me, I love getting that, I don't know, Thrill of the Snitch.

:rak_03:

Just LoS and heal to full, you'll do fine.

aint that easy.. LoS can be glitchy since the wifeboss have a way to exploit the LoS..

to use /kick or /slap to interupt her is realy a bad idea.. so gona have to spend alot of credits on companiongifts in an attempt to increase the global cooldown on her main ability "Wifeagro"

the blasted server must come online nooooow :(

Edited by mazterman

aint that easy.. LoS can be glitchy since the wifeboss have a way to exploit the LoS..

to use /kick or /slap to interupt her is realy a bad idea.. so gona have to spend alot of credits on companiongifts in an attempt to increase the channeltime + global cooldown on her main ability "Wifeagro"

the blasted server must come online nooooow :(

Need to distract the boss with something shiny, then LoS and mount your speeder and make a quick escape.

Today , 04:47 PM | #44 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next

REPORT POST QUOTE

Alright friends, let's talk about why we had the emergency maintenance. There was an issue that when someone in certain zones completed a Mission and hit the accept button to complete it, they would receive the rewards but the Mission wouldn't actually complete. This meant someone could infinitely hit the accept button over and over again and reap those rewards.

This created a bad situation for two reasons. First, it was extremely exploitable. Two, someone could get stuck where they couldn't progress because of their Mission not completing. For this reason we brought the servers down and started exploring if we could fix it live, without a patch (we can!).

We believe we can get this issue resolved and get the servers back online within about 45 minutes from the time of my post (hopefully sooner!). I will continue to pass on updates as I have them, thanks everyone.

He already was 33% worng of ETA. (1H instead of 45 mins)

Bioware, you f-d up my friday evening (GMT+3) - and this very disappointing