The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bolster?

kissingaiur

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolster isn't bugged - read patch notes. If you are referring to the nerf that is?

It's not the reduction in the gear cap for Bolster. It's the fact that it no longer calculates properly. Best guess is when they reduced the gear cap they messed up the calculations or just did a percentage decrease. This has messed up Bolster for lower gear.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

This doesn't affect my main too badly but it definitely affects my alts. It's probably the single biggest way they could have made PvP more alt-unfriendly.

Ironic that 5.1 --the "alt friendly" patch-- ended up having the opposite effect for PVP because the old bolster was vastly more helpful for playing alts than this gearing system is.

At least I already mentally prepared myself to expect to only PVP on a few classes, rather than all of them, before 5.0 came out, r-right?

Edited by yellow_

For whom ?

For those that go to the trouble of getting better gear and feel they should have an advantage accordingly.

I don't even disagree with them - if the gearing system is what is in place then yes they should have an advantage.

However I think the gearing system for PVP should just be scrapped altogether though and everyone should be on the same page and have it all come down to skill and of course ping.

On one hand I'm inclined to think this would either be a bug or they are trying to "fix" bolster before they re-release it. on the other hand if this is the case, at least the gear will mean something and when people get to around t2-t3 it will be pretty decent balance.

So we played in 4.0 skill against skill, now in 5.1 we are going to be playing gear against gear. Tell me how does that improve our gameplay? I would be willing to suck it up and play matches but only if 6-8 wins would mean a new piece of equipment. but this? ridiculous, not to mention the bolster taken down a notch, that was a fantastic development, thanks devs. Im outta. Thanks very much it was a pleasure, but im cancelling my sub.

Edited by cybearr

240 mods (etc) are expensive. Very expensive. I'm currently in mix 216/220 gear. So in other words, I'll be a doormat to anyone with gear better than 232 (assuming we are both good players) correct?

Man. I dont have the time to grind out gear all night for weeks. Not to mention I'd probably end up throwing this computer across the room.

There's got to be a better way to get gear in a timely manner? I don't mind working for gear, of course. But it sounds like the grind lasts months?

Edited by cagthehack

So we played in 4.0 skill against skill, now in 5.1 we are going to be playing gear against gear. Tell me how does that improve our gameplay? I would be willing to suck it up and play matches but only if 6-8 wins would mean a new piece of equipment. but this? ridiculous, not to mention the bolster taken down a notch, that was a fantastic development, thanks devs. Im outta. Thanks very much it was a pleasure, but im cancelling my sub.

Gear was a thing in 4.0 as well, bolster went to 200, top gear was 208. Bolster now is 232 top gear is 242.

240 mods (etc) are expensive. Very expensive. I'm currently in mix 216/220 gear. So in other words, I'll be a doormat to anyone with gear better than 232 (assuming we are both good players) correct?

Man. I dont have the time to grind out gear all night for weeks. Not to mention I'd probably end up throwing this computer across the room.

There's got to be a better way to get gear in a timely manner? I don't mind working for gear, of course. But it sounds like the grind lasts months?

you'll be bolstered up to 232 which against people in full 240's is only 8 point difference, similar to those bolstered to 200 against people in 208's. I realize the gear grind is rather long right now and I am definitely an advocate of speeding it up a bit, but people are greatly over-exaggerating the effect of bolster here.

Edited by jedcjedcjedc

Gear was a thing in 4.0 as well, bolster went to 200, top gear was 208. Bolster now is 232 top gear is 242.

you'll be bolstered up to 232 which against people in full 240's is only 8 point difference, similar to those bolstered to 200 against people in 208's. I realize the gear grind is rather long right now and I am definitely an advocate of speeding it up a bit, but people are greatly over-exaggerating the effect of bolster here.

Also, in reg's no one fights alone. So there is that. I mean, as a jugg, guarding, my job is to stay alive long enough until help arrives. So many this change isn't that big of a deal.

Wow....you might actually be the biggest fanboy in swtor history...wow! Congratulations!

Edited by DarthRaika

I realize the gear grind is rather long right now and I am definitely an advocate of speeding it up a bit, but people are greatly over-exaggerating the effect of bolster here.

I don't think enough time as elapsed for any of us to tell exactly what the ramifications are regarding bolster and how it will affect PVP now.

Maybe you are underestimating the disparity between the gears?

I understand you are emotional over this, but you got to try to be objective here and stop telling everyone they are wrong in what they think or feel when you know no better.

Wow....you might actually be the biggest fanboy in swtor history...wow! Congratulations!

because I explain things with a calm mind and a discerning rationale? why thank you.

I don't think enough time as elapsed for any of us to tell exactly what the ramifications are regarding bolster and how it will affect PVP now.

Maybe you are underestimating the disparity between the gears?

I understand you are emotional over this, but you got to try to be objective here and stop telling everyone they are wrong in what they think or feel when you know no better.

I'm not underestimating anything, and I'm certainly not emotional over it. The gear rating is right there for you to see. It's not something that can be changed to fit an opinion. as for your first point I agree, not much time has passed at all, yet quite a lot of you are touting to know exactly what and how bad the ramifications are and/or will be. I am merely trying to explain to the people who have not decided to take whatever they hear on a whim to heart what the changes are and how they can best approach the situation.

Edited by jedcjedcjedc

because I explain things with a calm mind and a discerning rationale? why thank you.

I'm not underestimating anything, and I'm certainly not emotional over it. The gear rating is right there for you to see. It's not something that can be changed to fit an opinion. as for your first point I agree, not much time has passed at all, yet quite a lot of you are touting to know exactly what and how bad the ramifications are and/or will be. I am merely trying to explain to the people who have not decided to take whatever they hear on a whim to heart what the changes are and how they can best approach the situation.

is only 8 point difference

That is probably the point of contention as it implies it's no big deal.

I'm not one to say if it is or isn't as I've certainly not run any sort of numbers in terms of hps, dps etc. but if you have those to demonstrate that it's not a big deal that would go a long way to possibly calming people down?

That assuming you were implying it's not that big of a deal anyway.

That is probably the point of contention as it implies it's no big deal.

I'm not one to say if it is or isn't as I've certainly not run any sort of numbers in terms of hps, dps etc. but if you have those to demonstrate that it's not a big deal that would go a long way to possibly calming people down?

That assuming you were implying it's not that big of a deal anyway.

The best example I could find (not comparing a tank to a healer for example) was this. Both Mercs, I have above bolster gear, he has all below bolster gear. He is also missing some augments which makes the small gap even smaller.

http://imgur.com/DPtY1by

http://imgur.com/kGI8IxX

Edited by jedcjedcjedc