Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Just reached L70 - Where to gear up?.

Dreez

Started playing last monday and it's been a blast sofar, just started with my proffesion and sending my

companion on her missions when i am not engaged into quests. But i've been running Heroics and story-missions

now for 2 days, picked up a few Command boxes that didn't drop anything for my class.

So where does a player go at 70 to gear up for both PvP and PvE ?.

And no... i don't have millions to spend on the market, or intend on buying any Cartel money.

I've done a few Flashpoints that has yielded zero upgrades for me, which is very strange since my current

gear is from the last set of Heroic boxrewards that i got before they turned weekly.

The guild is about to start doing Ops, but i feel that with my current gear, i'd be a waste of space.

I don't mind grinding for the gear, but i HATE lockout timers on content that is suppose to give me stuff,

and i also don't appreciate content where the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

So ... are there anyway to get gear in this game without spending hours and hours for peanuts ?.

The primary way to gear up at level 70 is through the Galactic Command system. It is meant to be a unified way for everyone to get end game gear while doing the activities that they want to do. At level 70 you will start gaining command xp similar to how you'd gain normal xp while leveling. Each command level you gain gives a command crate with gear and other items. The default key is Ctrl+G to open the command window.

Here's an overview:

http://dulfy.net/2016/10/17/swtor-galactic-command-overview/

And here's a more in-depth guide:

http://dulfy.net/2016/11/29/swtor-galactic-command-guide/

Edited by Anduhar

Started playing last monday and it's been a blast sofar, just started with my proffesion and sending my

companion on her missions when i am not engaged into quests. But i've been running Heroics and story-missions

now for 2 days, picked up a few Command boxes that didn't drop anything for my class.

So where does a player go at 70 to gear up for both PvP and PvE ?.

And no... i don't have millions to spend on the market, or intend on buying any Cartel money.

I've done a few Flashpoints that has yielded zero upgrades for me, which is very strange since my current

gear is from the last set of Heroic boxrewards that i got before they turned weekly.

The guild is about to start doing Ops, but i feel that with my current gear, i'd be a waste of space.

I don't mind grinding for the gear, but i HATE lockout timers on content that is suppose to give me stuff,

and i also don't appreciate content where the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

So ... are there anyway to get gear in this game without spending hours and hours for peanuts ?.

I think your terminology may be off. The crates you get from heroic missions (level 60 and above) are not the same as Galactic Command Crates.

Galactic command crates, awarded each time you gain a command rank, will always drop at least one piece of gear with stats optimized for your current discipline. You're never going to get the wrong gear for your class. You may also get an empty orange cosmetic customizable shell. The piece of statted gear may not be the highest quality of piece for a particular gear slot (you might get premium green 228, blue prototype 230, or purple artifact 230 with a set bonus), but it will always be stats for your current discipline, and therefore, your class.

The alliance supply crates, which are rewards for the heroic specifically, do not drop any statted gear at all, i think the only gear they drop is cosmetic orange customizable shells that are bound to legacy

If you gear up you will do it through the amazingly bad RNG crates that are obtained by leveling galactic command.

If you don't have millions to buy crafted things, you can hope to do conquest or some OPS to get some or all of the mats to get (or make yourself should you get the pattern and have someone that can learn it) some generic and badly itemized crafted gear which has no modding slots. (Meaning you cannot change armorings,mods or enhancements)

So, You will get no other gear worth anything other than buying crafted for millions, trying to craft yourself or RNG crates (which you might not get much or anything of value gear wise given gamers experience with RNG crates)

It's some very bad times in SWTOR for gearing.

When you're do heroics and the like, hit Ctrl+G and select planetary missions. That way you'll be getting 450 cxp for every set you complete.

PVP has bolster so you don't have to worry too much about having terrible gear(it also rewards lots of cxp).

Edited by Vandicus

You also might want to look for crafted armor rated 228, or maybe some 228 gear mods. If you only have one character, you can level up one crafting skill to get started. Other mods/ gear pieces can be bought on the GTN. You could also ask for help from your guildmates to set you up.

Other than that, each time you earn a Command level you get a Command crate -- and a chance at getting top level gear.

Galactic command crates, awarded each time you gain a command rank, will always drop at least one piece of gear with stats optimized for your current discipline.

This is false... I have gotten several crates with an orange empty shell, a companion gift, and jawa scraps/rep items... No gear at all...

Story Mode ops are bolstered, so gear doesn't really matter that much. You don't even have to be level 70 (can run ops starting at level 50), so that should give you an idea of how little gear matters for that.

The real question you should be asking is "how do I get my set bonus?" The answer is that you can't, not really. You can get set bonus drops from Galactic Command crates, but they are quite uncommon. You can thank BioWare for making a dumb game in which there is no guaranteed path to endgame gearing. Those of us who still have 208 (pvp) and 216-224 (pve) set bonus armorings from 4.0 are keeping those and only upgrading our mods, enhancements, and augments, mostly via purchasing crafting ones since Galactic Command is too random and unreliable.

This is false... I have gotten several crates with an orange empty shell, a companion gift, and jawa scraps/rep items... No gear at all...

Next time that happens, close the command window and then re-open the command stash. It should appear. It's a known bug.

Edited by teclado

Galactic command crates, awarded each time you gain a command rank, will always drop at least one piece of gear with stats optimized for your current discipline.

I wish this were true, but it's not. Most of the crates will not have gear at all. (Empty shells don't count as gear) Your endgame gearing is the horrible RNG gearing system they have implemented with 5.0. Good luck. With just over 60 total Command levels between 3 characters, I finally got my second set piece, on an alt that was just filling in as a tank and won't get played enough to ever have a chance at getting geared.

Personally I'm handling the situation by playing a different game. The RNG gearing is just too frustrating for me to want ot deal with anymore.

I wish this were true, but it's not. Most of the crates will not have gear at all. (Empty shells don't count as gear) Your endgame gearing is the horrible RNG gearing system they have implemented with 5.0. Good luck. With just over 60 total Command levels between 3 characters, I finally got my second set piece, on an alt that was just filling in as a tank and won't get played enough to ever have a chance at getting geared.

Personally I'm handling the situation by playing a different game. The RNG gearing is just too frustrating for me to want ot deal with anymore.

Especially considering there isn't even any worthwhile new content to do with it even if you do manage to get it. Going through all of this crap just to keep doing the same things we were doing two years ago at level sixty and even earlier.

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

I'm a little confused about what you are saying. Every crate does drop gear related to your spec. It's just usually not an upgrade. The 230 blue enhancements are just as good as the 230 purple ones. So they are an upgrade even if you have 224 purples. The 230 blue mods are not optimized, and are therefore often not an upgrade if you have 220/224 purples. The armorings of course are not an upgrade (no set bonus). The 230 blue hilts / barrels also have the same stats as the 230 purple ones, so those are an upgrade as well. The 230 blue pieces are fairly common drops from command crates. So most crates you will get some sort of upgrade, even if it's just an enhancement...at least in your earlier command levels. Once you get to about command level 50 or so, you will start disintegrating everything that is not purple set bonus (which of course is somewhere around 1/25 or so drop chance).

Edited by teclado

I'm a little confused about what you are saying. Every crate does drop gear related to your spec.

I'm not sure how you're confused. Every crate does not contain gear. They contain companion gifts, Jawa junk, orange shells, reputation trophies, etc. They do not always contain gear but almost all contain Jawa junk.

I'm wondering if some people are blindly disintegrating everything "orange" without realizing that the rightside MK-2 (blue mods) is coloured orange, too.

Nope, sometimes you get those along with the orange shells. And if I didn't have 220 and 224 4. gear I'd keep more of them, but the blue mod and enhancement stat mix isn't what I want, so they usually go, too. But they are not included in every crate.

Im assuming that if your a pref player as i will be when my sub runs out in a month, im going to have an utter **** trying to be geared and relevant even if im level 70

No gear for preferred, no end-game content, either. So, I'm playing another game 4 or 5 nights a week and just logging in toe raid with my raid group until my sub runs out early next month. Barring something spectacular in 5.1 and something spectacular in the stream on the 26th, I'm not paying BW another dime until they get around to actually making a fun game again or go out of business.

I'm not sure how you're confused. Every crate does not contain gear. They contain companion gifts, Jawa junk, orange shells, reputation trophies, etc. They do not always contain gear but almost all contain Jawa junk.

Yes, every crate does contain a piece of gear. Look at the mods / enhancements before you disintegrate. Every single crate that I have ever opened (somewhere around 100 crates) had a piece of gear, aside from the known bug which requires you to close the window and then re-open the command stash to see it. The gear piece may be green (and not an upgrade), but it is a gear piece nonetheless.

And yes, the stats on the 230 blue enhancements / hilts / barrels are exactly the same as the 230 purples across the board. Compare this with this. No differences whatsoever, other than the color.

Regarding pvp bolster, read Hotties thread here. She says, and I quote, "230 Enhancements purples/blues are the same." Regarding hilts and barrels, check the stats. Quoting Hottie again: "BIS Barrels/Hilt for t1: Blue/purple 230 (same stats) Every higher armor rating for barrel/hilt is always going to be better because it a static increase to your tech power/force power."

Edited by teclado

Yes, every crate does contain a piece of gear. Look at the mods / enhancements before you disintegrate. Every single crate that I have ever opened (somewhere around 100 crates) had a piece of gear, aside from the known bug which requires you to close the window and then re-open the command stash to see it. The gear piece may be green (and not an upgrade), but it is a gear piece nonetheless.

No, they don't all have gear. And yes I look at each one before I disintegrate it. I have had Orange Shell, Jawa Junk and rep token, I have had Orange shell, jawa junk and companion gift, etc. Yes, those are empty shells. The gear drops are not every time, they aren't even most of the time.

No, they don't all have gear. And yes I look at each one before I disintegrate it. I have had Orange Shell, Jawa Junk and rep token, I have had Orange shell, jawa junk and companion gift, etc. Yes, those are empty shells. The gear drops are not every time, they aren't even most of the time.

All crates drop

1. a gear piece
  2. a cosmetic item
  3. jawa junk, rep token, companion gift or pet (it's possible I forgot something here)

and some crates drop an additional schematic.

Either you are bugged to hell, misremembering things or making stuff up.

I think your terminology may be off. The crates you get from heroic missions (level 60 and above) are not the same as Galactic Command Crates.

Galactic command crates, awarded each time you gain a command rank, will always drop at least one piece of gear with stats optimized for your current discipline. You're never going to get the wrong gear for your class. You may also get an empty orange cosmetic customizable shell. The piece of statted gear may not be the highest quality of piece for a particular gear slot (you might get premium green 228, blue prototype 230, or purple artifact 230 with a set bonus), but it will always be stats for your current discipline, and therefore, your class.

This isn't entirely true. Before I gave up and stopped trying to earn cxp I had opened four crates on my Shadowtank.. Two crates gave zero gear pieces and the other two gave offensive stats. NOTHING for a tank spec. Considering how mediocre the game has become I decided it was not worth trying to grind this horrible system.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.