Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please Fix Powertech / Vanguard Survivability! [Developers]

Nezyrworks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO..what should be done is take kolto and kolto surge from mercs..make it PT exclusive..this will fix 2 classes in 1 go..

mercs can keep trauma there reflect dcd..it's kolto and kolto surge that break the class..give it to the PT and that will balance them off perfectly..also bring merc into line with other classes..so bioware dont give mercs a harsh nerf..

Yep. That would secure merc not becoming overnerfed.

I quote myself out of another Vanguard/PT survivability thread, to share my idea to this problem.

Here's my proposal:

Take Adrenal Surge/Kolto Surge and Traume Stabilizers/Trauma Regulators from Commandos/Mercenaries and give them to Vanguards/Powertechs, BUT make them no utilities, but integrate them to the two DD specs of Vanguards/Powertechs exclusively, so they cannot be taken both and they don't affect the tank tree.

Combine Adrenal Surge/Kolto Surge with the talent Adrenaline Fueled/Automated Defenses. In that way the Dot specs get a proper defensive ability on a fair CD, since you have a nice synergy with the CD reduction, when taking damage.

Do the same with Traume Stabilizers/Trauma Regulators. Combine them with the Reflexive Shield/Energy Rebounder talent. Nerf the CD reduction when taking damage from 3 to 2 seconds, to ensure a fair, not too short CD.

Survivability for both Vanguard/Powertech damage specs is fixed that way and commandos/mercenaries are finally back in line.

Why that change? From what i can remember, all what commandos/mercenaries were really complaining about, was one specific point.

And I'm talking about the good commandos/mercenaries with knowledge and skill of the class, not the guys, who are like: "HURR DURR I BE OP LOL, ME GLOBAL YOU, OH YOU DARE TO STRIKE BACK, OK I POP ONE OF MY SHIELDS AND BACKPADDEL WITH S BUTTON BUT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE CUS I NEED NO SKILL WITH OVAPOWERED DEFS LUL".

And that point was, that they just don't have a proper, useful anti focus ability. Damage was never the problem and neither were it possibilities to kite. Just an additional "Oh ****"-Button.

Echoing Deterrence/Responsive Safeguard is the proper answer. It's usable while cc'ed, it has a fair cooldown and it's possible to counter it (Dots, AOE, CC, LoS), therefore it's not overpowered.

But that must be enough. The rest of the survival of this class must be made out of player skill. Kiting i.e. root, snare, knockback, LoS, insta mezz, E-Net, POSITIONING (Yes, maybe some people can remember this "skill". You are not ment to be on the frontline, even though you can afford it now), offheals, "minor" defensive abilities like shield and the aggro reduce.

PT is seriously in a bad spot right now. I support any buffs for them. The buffs that went to merc honestly should've went to PT, a 10m range class should have reflect not a merc, herp derp BW lergic

PT had its time to shine during 4.0. Had insanely good burst and could survive a lot. They didn't make PT weaker they just buffed Mercs to an equal playing field with the other classes.

So now you have trouble with Mercs b/c you can't just DPS them all down. Some of the good players that understand kiting and understand distance is key to beating a PT means that now all PT players have to adapt and change their play style to become viable again.

They have heavy armor, don't see the problem.

PvE forums are right there -------->

On another note, unless we are balancing the game around yolo que a buff to PT survivability will not make them any better. If you are playing a balanced game (meaning there are healers and tanks of equal skill on both team) and you have problem surviving as AP or tank, the problem is not the class.

I can not understand the massive up of the merc. It was one of the most OP class at 4.0.

Now it has the strongest DPS in game, one of the best burst.

Moreover, it has the best survivability ever, if it could taunt, the merc will be the best tank.

It can also offheal, merc are undying and the strongest DPS.

Probably the son of Mr.Musco is playing merc, but what is the purpose of making a cheated class and let the melee class such as PT or jugg with so less survivability ?

this is the huge gap between regs and ranked arenas.

BW is driven to balance an arena system which i am sure 80% of PvPers just don't give a sh** ! and they always failed to do it.

so they buffed merc already Op in 4.0 in regs, for their ridiculous arenas, and now they are super OP in regs.

i think it's time to think about those ranked arenas, where only 2-3 classes each season can be good.

seriously how many players really care about actual ranked ? and about arenas? in regs at least 50% of players just quit when they tag an arena.

stupid system ...

Edited by Thaladan

• 4 weeks later...
I've been playing this game since launch and vanguard has been my main from the get go. It just seems that BW is just trying to suck everything fun and effective out of the class nowadays. For years I've watched the class lose abilities only to be replaced with less effective ones. It's gotten to the point where I just don't even want to log in anymore. At this point the class feels like it's just shooting Nerf darts and it practically has the range of a Nerf gun anyway. Which is also ridiculous, why does a class that uses a rifle have to be within 10M to do anything? You're restricting what has always been a ranged class down to an idiotic melee class that can't even survive all that long being that close.

because Mercs do not need 3 heals.

Ok, give us the ability to remove all dots, or resist all tech / all ranged attacks for a time, or stealth, or teleport, or a bubble like sorc, and we can talk. Until then, stop trying to turn us back into the punching bag for another 4 years.

VG need a better self heal than their shoulder cannon, and maybe give them the ability to heal to 70% just like mercs, but they both NEED to be something you have to spend a utlity point on. Just like we do.

I was a PT before 4.0 and they have a special place in my heart, so i would like them to get the reflective shield. It fits the class more anyway, lore and vibe wise.

Mercs still get to not be so easy to kill with the epic kolto + we would cut the fotm herd a bit. Not that i am complaining, i imagine every time some1 doesn't attack it( the shield) and they end up dead, the fotmers are like ''what just happened?''

Edited by Kaedusz

Ok, give us the ability to remove all dots, or resist all tech / all ranged attacks for a time, or stealth, or teleport, or a bubble like sorc, and we can talk. Until then, stop trying to turn us back into the punching bag for another 4 years.

VG need a better self heal than their shoulder cannon, and maybe give them the ability to heal to 70% just like mercs, but they both NEED to be something you have to spend a utlity point on. Just like we do.

Mercs/mandos have extremely simple and forgiving rotations, ez energy management, strong single target and good aoe, burst and sustain

Why does the class deserve dcd's as strong as melee classes after everything they already had going for it

And no they were not "punching bags" in 4.0

I was a PT before 4.0 and they have a special place in my heart, so i would like them to get the reflective shield. It fits the class more anyway, lore and vibe wise.

Mercs still get to not be so easy to kill with the epic kolto + we would cut the fotm herd a bit. Not that i am complaining, i imagine every time some1 doesn't attack it( the shield) and they end up dead, the fotmers are like ''what just happened?''

I'd actually play my PT if they took TR or KS from Merc/Mando and gave it to, you know, the tank class.

Lots of people suggested that, it would kill two birds with one stone.

I'd actually play my PT if they took TR or KS from Merc/Mando and gave it to, you know, the tank class.

Lots of people suggested that, it would kill two birds with one stone.

I think it needs to go a bit further than that

Some abilities like rail shot should get their 30m range back

Tank spec needs to have dcd's on par with other tanks

And additionally for a spec that's supposed to be about burst why do we have a worse uptime on burst than other classes due to the long CDs of explosive fuel?

I never played pt but atm i see how weak they are. Killing them fast isn't a problem and their dps is same as for sentinel or juggernaut but sent and jugger have good defensive cds... I think pt dps spec needs a slight buff to defense but not big enough so they become fotm as dumb bw team did to mercs

Mercs/mandos have extremely simple and forgiving rotations, ez energy management, strong single target and good aoe, burst and sustain

Why does the class deserve dcd's as strong as melee classes after everything they already had going for it

And no they were not "punching bags" in 4.0

I wouldn't say that i.o mercs have a simple and forgiving rotations nor is it's heat management easy.

I wouldn't say that i.o mercs have a simple and forgiving rotations nor is it's heat management easy.

I relatively sure that ANYONE who refers to mercs and mandos in any negative connotation are referring to arsenal and gunnery specs

Post 5.0 I have never encountered a merc/mando who is not those specs

PTs are too squishy, and their legendary utilities are garbage, but I hope bioware has noticed that the defensive cool down arms race is quickly getting out of control. Mercs, snipers, and marauders to a lesser degree are all too hard to kill.

I really, really hope the strategy going forward is not to just buff the defensive capabilities of every class with issues staying alive to god tier levels like we have with mercs and snipers. There are already too many scenarios where getting kills can be obnoxiously hard; the last thing we need is even more classes contributing to that problem.

I suspect if mercs and snipers are toned down PTs won't need much to be more competitive.

P.S. It gives me no pleasure to bring up mercs --and consequently summon the mercenary defense forces constantly lurking this board-- but I think it's too relevant not to mention.

Edited by yellow_

I relatively sure that ANYONE who refers to mercs and mandos in any negative connotation are referring to arsenal and gunnery specs

Post 5.0 I have never encountered a merc/mando who is not those specs

I play IO sometimes and also seen a few others, it's obviously harder than arsenal but it actually has pretty darn good burst but you just can't mash random buttons like in arsenal and expect to perform well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.