The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

What makes you think it'll be fixed? Has Bioware said something about this I should be aware of?

Are you serious right now? Do you people not read replies?

Weekly Patch Notes Update: December 27th, 2011

Fixed a bug that could cause the global cooldown to display incorrectly in the UI.

They're obviously aware of the issue if the first fix in the entire patch has to do with the UI, displaying incorrectly and global cooldowns. They're not oblivious to what's going on in the game nor the feedback in the forums.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it wore off, but I calculate the amount of time it took for them to close the gap and or strike as a good indicator. It's just how I adapt and perceive things and keep the amount of elapsed time in my head. But if you want a way to leave the stun at the EXACT moment 100% of the time then I don't know what to tell ya.

I'm not button mashing, I merely stated that I tapped the jump button on occasion to make sure that my hunch when the time elapsed was right or not, though usually it is.

Anyway, how about you play the game and try it instead of complaining about it all day. Take the advice of someone who DOESN'T have your problem, not people who do.

1) you specifically said you mash the button.

2) If 2 melee are beating on me, and I am stunned, Why would i not want to cast force wave immediately after the stun ends? it is the difference between living and dying.

Your advice sounds to me like ' don't be competitive , just enjoy the game and don't worry about winning'

Well I am already doing that, i quit doing PVP and warzones and i won't be doing them again until this is fixed.

And if i get to lvl 50 and this crap is not fixed and i have to be frustrated the entire time i try to raid by unresponsive controls, then i will quit PVE too.

And if i quit PVP and PVE i sure as hell am not staying subb'd to craft and chat.

Someone please explain why this even matters. Half of the time you're resource capped/limited.

Awesome you just chained 2 abilities in a row back to back - now you have no rage for 5-10 seconds. What did you accomplish?

It matters for Knights/Warriors because they may exhaust their resources, but they can still use every single GCD to get it back with Strike.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/ew0HZzW

Are you serious right now? Do you people not read replies?

Weekly Patch Notes Update: December 27th, 2011

Fixed a bug that could cause the global cooldown to display incorrectly in the UI.

They're obviously aware of the issue if the first fix in the entire patch has to do with the UI, displaying incorrectly and global cooldowns. They're not oblivious to what's going on in the game nor the feedback in the forums.

That's not the same issue at all.

We're talking about a core coding problem where abilities wait for animations, the display of the GCD has nothing to do with any of this.

I remember a massive list of bugs from WoW, but I'll take any number of minor and inconvenient bugs over a broken combat system.

Broken? Hyperbole again.

The fact that the anmation first starts when the ability starts on the server means that SWtoR shows the real thing instead of animation padding on the client when actually nothing is going on on the server. The problem is of course that the GCD client side seems to just be client side and hence that it is the animation you should look at as a player and not your interface (same with the cast bar).

I agree that BW should tweak this but in the mean time it is fairly straight forward. Look at your animations since they are in synch with the server and use a small queue time for your next ability in your options. Many have said it - it works.

And YOU said

You were implying it is normal/acceptable/predictable for an MMO to be unresponsive on day one.

I was calling you out on your bull$hit

context is everything pal

Let me recap.

I said it's normal for a newly launched MMO to have bugs and be unresponsive.

You said WOW WAS SMOOTH ON DAY 1

I pointed out proof that WOW was not smooth on day 1

You told me to stop talking about WOW

I told you, you brought up WOW

You tell me you're calling me on my ********.

We're going in circles here.

New MMO's have bugs in them.

They're not smooth.

Expect things to not be responsive all the time.

If you don't understand this, then just leave and come back in 7 years when everything is smooth. I don't know what to tell you man, that's how the industry works. They spend millions of dollars and years creating this ****. If it was easy to launch a smooth responsive MMO on day 1, everyone would do it. Get it?

I am a healer and I have NO such problems. I anticipate when the health drops with careful planning and strategy instead of panic healing and etc. None of my companions or party mates ever fall below half-health(unless their getting swarmed, but I always anticipate it before it happens and give them a complimentary heal then another one directly after anticipating that their health will fall fast aggroing two-three strong/elite enemies).

maybe you can see in the future ... but im not ...

If you talk about mob that coul be right .... but whent you fight a player its not so easy to anticipate the heal...

I know that swtor have the worste pvp ever, but its have it..

After that its just nosense having of gcd skill ecc.. i dont thing that is really intended ...but after all funboy are funboy

Edited by Lionerd

Broken? Hyperbole again.

The fact that the anmation first starts when the ability starts on the server means that SWtoR shows the real thing instead of animation padding on the client when actually nothing is going on on the server. The problem is of course that the GCD client side seems to just be client side and hence that it is the animation you should look at as a player and not your interface (same with the cast bar).

I agree that BW should tweak this but in the mean time it is fairly straight forward. Look at your animations since they are in synch with the server and use a small queue time for your next ability in your options. Many have said it - it works.

this would explain a lot because that's how i play and i've never had this issue personally. not the stuttering at least. the whole game feels a bit off though. definitely room for improvement.

Someone please explain why this even matters. Half of the time you're resource capped/limited.

Awesome you just chained 2 abilities in a row back to back - now you have no rage for 5-10 seconds. What did you accomplish?

If you can't manage your class resource it's not my problem. It IS however my problem that the combat is unresponsive.

The worst offender is "Reposte" which is off the GCD. I often hit it and my character makes the animation but deals no damage. Sometimes it doesn't even bother doing the animation at all.

Noticed the same thing with Quell (BH interrupt). Off the GCD, but half the time it doesn't interrupt the cast because of another skill's ongoing animation.

Noticed the same thing with Quell (BH interrupt). Off the GCD, but half the time it doesn't interrupt the cast because of another skill's ongoing animation.

Which is horrible in PvP when you miss interrupting an enemies spell or heal.

We all need to take a lesson from Mace though and analyze every ability to see when the animation ends so we can time our abilities ahead of time and watch every animation in the heat of warzone combat so we can interrupt even though our UI says we should be able to.

Edited by HoneyBoy

Bioware, you've already taken DOZEN UPON DOZENS of pages from WoW's book...

whats one more? Just make the damn animation cancel if you press another ability. The way it stands, its an annoyance and FAR REMOVED from the grandiose claims that were made about "fluidity in combat".

In WoW, people would take this system as a "fact", and then work around it to maximize their characters dps.

In SWTOR, people complain and want it to be like it was in WoW.

How about you just work within the system the way it is built like you had done for x years with WoW?

In an MMO everything is flavor of the month anyways. Learn to play like this now, if it gets changed later then learn to play the new way. Boofreakinghoo.

Broken? Hyperbole again.

Let me make this very simple for you:

I have an ability that is an instant cast interrupt. This ability is off of the GCD. I should be able to tap this hotkey and it apply its effect instantly no matter what else my character is currently doing.

When I use my saber attack that has a 1 second animation I can't use my interrupt while my character is swinging her saber.

This is not working as intentional. This is a massive issue that is the difference between winning and losing in competitive warzones or other PvP environments.

This is a broken combat system.

Bioware, you've already taken DOZEN UPON DOZENS of pages from WoW's book...

whats one more? Just make the damn animation cancel if you press another ability. The way it stands, its an annoyance and FAR REMOVED from the grandiose claims that were made about "fluidity in combat".

I've noticed they like to study the pages, take the pages, rework the pages for themselves, but then when you come over, they kick the source material under the bed and then pretend they wrote the report with no outside research.

Here are the REAL two sides.

1)OMG IT DOESN'T INSTA-CAST LIKE WOW, WHAT DO WE DO?! THE GAME IS OVER IT'S DEAD UNLESS YOU FIXZ NAO. DO IT RIGHT NOW!

2)We have not experienced this problem because we found that if you do "this, this and then that" we have also found that it must be the mechanics of the game in which BioWare mapped out and one we have adapted to.

This is like saying you took an arrow to the knee and adapted by not adventuring anymore.

So what? If the combat is slow unresponsive and clunky why would people not complain until it gets fixed?

The fact that we are still playing means we adapted to it, you don't have to keep telling us to adapt.

This will not make or break SWTOR, that is subjective and you are wrong.

I cancled my sub a few hours after making it over this issue, before reading anything about it on the forums. I also cancled my rift sub within a month over, again, this very same issue.

You can say I am only 1, but I don't think after reading a few hundred pages of people posting on this topic, that I am the only one.

PS: What state is rift in atm?

I learned to adapt. You can too. It takes time, I know, but it's well worth it.

Funny thing is, I don't really like healing, but it seems I'm a natural at it.

Go figure.

hah. funny thing is, the sarcasm completely escaped you. you see, this was an instance of, what you said wasn't really worth 1) defending 2) explaining or 3) wasting breath/finger energy on.

now, i'll briefly explain and waste that breath/finger energy.

i'm a bloody good healer, found that out years ago. 1) i know my spells, their cast times, and their cds, including gcd, intimately. i don't rely on watching my bar to know when something's up, i KNOW when it's up and safe to use 2) i learn battles very quickly -- helps because i also tank. so i know, after the first time running something, what's going to happen where, and how to anticipate and avoid it 3) you completely forget human nature, which dictates that no matter how well you plan, SOMETHING is going to come along and fubar the entire encounter. yeah, you do your best to prepare for it, but ... well, ok, it's like coding. i designed databases and their gui for years. and you would be SIMPLY amazed at some of the "mistakes" people can do, and the completely random things they can cause to happen.

one can do everything possible to anticipate and head off as much as they can envision, but SOMEONE somewhere's gonna come along who makes you say, "oh, wow, never seen THAT before."

having a casting system that doesn't rely on animation completion to continue will be a huge asset in these circumstances. having a raid ui that accurately depicts players' health will also be a huge asset -- if i'm watching my tank's health, and he's not moving, then he's lying on the ground dead, there's a problem. there's no ability to operate with that. but this post isn't about the broken ui, it's about the broken cast-timer/animation "feature." and while, again, my hat's off to you for being such a superior and glorious exemplifaction of the healing arts, i submit that you're going to hit that brick wall sooner or later, and all your planning and anticipating isn't going to be worth anything.

course, at that point, you will refuse to acknowledge that having casts that worked appropriately mighta headed off a bad situation, and probably fall back on the old standard of blaming the other person. *shrugs* enjoy.

This is something I notice as well. I do love the leveling/story, but think the issue will make it difficult to get into any sort of endgame. I would still be content with an virtually never ending KOTOR/ME style game, but would probably unsub between expansions if the issue doesn't improve.

Wow, 54 pages of utter ********.

Stop staring at the GCD and get into the animation flow.

Yes, the current client/server ability synch is a little off, but I'm sure it'll be tweaked and in the meantime its not that big of a deal. If you REALLY think it's a big deal, don't play. Seriously. 54 pages? Jesus.

A bigger worry is that some animations are longer than the GCD...lol...bad Bioware!

Again, this will be fixed.

Go outside.