Is HM Raiding Viable Any More?

RobertFKennedyUS

First question: how long does it take to get 240 Best In Slot gear?

* The average cxp required per level is 4,500

* With RNG gear you get full BIS at Command Level 320

* A fairly serious HM raider grinds 4,500 cxp per day

Therefore it takes that person roughly 300 days to get 240 BIS gear, or 10 months.

By that time, Bioware is about 2 months away from 6.0 and resetting his gear back to zero. If you say that he was raiding the whole year, then maybe he has 3-4 months when his gear was really good to be pulling on HM Revan. Given that it takes months to learn to do that fight and it could take a while for a team to get together and all have decent gear, is it even possible for non-Revanchists to even beat Revan HM any more?

Am I missing something with my math? Have you roughly lost 2/3 of the year to beat Revan and Ravagers by the time you have gear to do it? Does that put those raids out of reach for all but the best raid teams now?

You can't do the math because it's random. There is little telling when you'll be in full set bonus gear. Someone I spoke to today already had 4 pieces of set bonus gear though they lost some in rollback

That would be really frustrating. He/She should get in contact with CM.

The moment gold mobs got nerfed, Operations made no sense for viable gearing through the rng lockbox as it would take your lifetime to get anything meaningful if your lucky enough at all. the problem is how to get that 230+ armour set and additionals with full augment set and be ready for HM raids. you could be ready quicker than you think or you may never be ready because your missing pieces of gear.

First question: how long does it take to get 240 Best In Slot gear

If you want to gain it with the boxes...

First open 180 boxes and disinte"great" them.

Then... It is like this ... all nummbers are fictional I dont know them...

It is random... So I made a script to test some things.

If the chance to get the desired item quality is 5%

test (for 1 item) imagine a dice roll

1. 72 tries

2. 4 tries

3. 7 tries

4. 30 tries

5. 15 tries

6. 18 tries

7. 2 tries

8. 23 tries

9. 5 tries

10. 41 tries

11. 6 tries

12. 3 tries

13. 12 tries

14. 3 tries

Total 241 (after the starting 180) ... --> 421...

mean 17

For 14 items without taking into account the diminishing return because you need only some items later...

Second test

Total 337 (517)

mean 24

Third test

Total 426 (606)

mean 30

Forth

Total 239

mean 17

This is not an actual representation... It is only to illustrate how rng works...

Best regards

Edited by Artowa

Yes the situation is very very bad for raiders as currently you can either farm mobs or do ranked. Otherwise you can also stick to doing other things, but it not that fast. Still its just one toon, not even mentioning alts.

Anyway having said that, here are a couple of mistakes:

1. You dont need 242 gear to beat HM or NiM opses, its doable with 224 set bonus and some 240 crafted mods and enhancements, people already got them by farming some bosses in NiM which can be defeated in full 224 (there are many).

2. You will start to get 242 at rank 180 so its not a grind to 300 actually

3. Most of the people that raid already did all the bosses in the game 2 years ago :)

Yes the situation is very very bad for raiders as currently you can either farm mobs or do ranked. Otherwise you can also stick to doing other things, but it not that fast. Still its just one toon, not even mentioning alts.

Anyway having said that, here are a couple of mistakes:

1. You dont need 242 gear to beat HM or NiM opses, its doable with 224 set bonus and some 240 crafted mods and enhancements, people already got them by farming some bosses in NiM which can be defeated in full 224 (there are many).

2. You will start to get 242 at rank 180 so its not a grind to 300 actually

3. Most of the people that raid already did all the bosses in the game 2 years ago :)

this is true but we are talking about experienced groups. From people who, at worst, did the NiMs when they were easier in 3.0 and learned the mechanics already to people who did everything on level when it was new and can now probably sleepwalk through some if not most of the NiM bosses (Master, whatever).

If new raiders should start now in teams with few to no veterans, they'll probably need a little more help from their gear while they figure out the best way to execute whatever strategy works best for their group. And, well, the system absolutely doesn't work in their favour. At the very least they'll be stuck farming some bosses longer than it's fun or would have been necessary in the past.

Unless player is willing to spend 4-6 hours non-stop grinding boxes/cxp for the next 2-3 months at least, HM/NiM raiding is out of the question in the next year.

This is especially true for the people who enjoy playing different classes.

Unless player is willing to spend 4-6 hours non-stop grinding boxes/cxp for the next 2-3 months at least, HM/NiM raiding is out of the question in the next year.

It's bad, but not for that reasons. See that thread to see that some players killed most of the nim bosses in the first week of 5.0.

some players killed most of the nim bosses in the first week of 5.0.

This further proves the point actually. Since most players are not cream of the crop which made TOR their 2nd job, they need the gear to progress/repeat runs. And by cxp grind they are locked from this for at least half-a-year on the average.

This further proves the point actually. Since most players are not cream of the crop which made TOR their 2nd job, they need the gear to progress/repeat runs. And by cxp grind they are locked from this for at least half-a-year on the average.

All fair points. However in the thread i quoted, they specifically explained how they geared. Run the easier bosses, get schematics for 240 gear and craft whatever they can except the armorings i guess.

well, i'm pretty sure my friends are already killing HM and some first bosses on NiM in their 224s haha. it really all depends on skill. cause it's not like a boss is gonna grow a brain and start changing mechanics. after 2+years of doing the same things :D:D:D:D:D

All fair points. However in the thread i quoted, they specifically explained how they geared. Run the easier bosses, get schematics for 240 gear and craft whatever they can except the armorings i guess.

sounds good on paper, but getting those mats in that amount will either a) take a LOT of time or b) a LOT of $$ :D:D:D

Edited by Hichitsuki-hime

Plenty have answered your time frame and CXP question so I'll answer your question on is raiding viable question.

Personally, I do NOT think it is unless you have a really solid team that can get it done with no wipes.

Any wipe or AFK or slow down is CXP that you are not getting and could be getting elsewhere in a more reliable way.

OPS comes with the risk of wiping and losing time, which makes you lose CXP.

The real kicker is you could take the risk but for what? The same chance at gear as if you have AFK'ed though a few pvp matches (which you get points win or loss and a lot of points at that in a short time).

You could do heroics, solo or in a group of 4 and never wipe. Getting just as many points in probably less time than to clear an ops.

You get it by this point. The risk vs the getting the same RNG crate just isn't worth it. Sure, you can still go do them if you want but in the end you have to make sure to limit your risk and loss of time vs other things. Decide if you want to chance it.

Edited by Quraswren

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.