Mercenaries are extremely over-performing, and pvp is broken..

alienwareguy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100k heal to full? No problem, just cc them for 12 seconds every 40-50 seconds, it's not like you're ever going to have no other targets available.

:rak_03:

If the group is on point with CC, it's more like every 25-30s, but I agree with the point you are making.

Less QQ and more learning on how to pew pew. I know smashing buttons is all the rave but....learn to play. If a merc self heals for 100k off his CD it isn't biowares fault. It's your fault! After a week of seeing this most players aren't falling for it anymore and things are closer to even keel then they were in 4.0. The problem is experienced mercs are used to being tunneled and now they have a far easier time. Much to the dismay of classes used to auto targeting mercs.

• 3 weeks later...

As a Mercenary main, I feel bad playing in PvP now. The shield and kolto defensive combo is ridiculous and I was able to hold out 1v4 against four Knights on the Alderaan Civil War turret node Warzone with only 100 health in their ship left and we had all three turrets, not to mention how you can spec yourself to have a flameshield, punishing opponents even further for even looking in your general direction.

Sin and Shadow are ridiculous of course, and have no direct counter besides Merc. The Juggernaut used to be able to counter the Assassin with their slows, but now the Assassin is so durable and hits so hard they basically ignore all armor. It's rare when you actually see an Assassin tank, but that's slightly less broken than the Deception Assassin.

It's as if they took the ludicrous defenses of the Marauder and added it to a ranged class, with the combination of the Electro Net a Tanking Juggernaut cannot even touch the Mercenary.

As someone who's been a Mercenary main since 2012 I've been craving well deserved buffs, but there's such a thing as overbuffed.

Bioware either needs to nerf Mercenary/Commando, Assassin/Shadow and Marauder/Sentinel, or buff every other subclass to make them up to par with the current meta.

Remember when Juggernaut and Sorcerer were considered Overpowered and highest in power? Now they're garbage tier right now... no offense to my fellow Juggernaut/Guardian and the Sorcerer/Sage players.

:rak_mad:

EDIT: Mercenary also has the Stealth Scan that makes Operatives and Assassins null and void. I have literally killed an Assassin in Deception with his shield on in four seconds, and an Operative with his evasion and shield in less than four. When you can melt down the former OP subclass with relatively no effort, you know you've got somethin' broken.

What Mercenary needed was better 1v1, not being a better Tank than the Juggernaut. It's like pre-SoR where the Marauder and Sentinel could solo-tank Dreadtooth if they had a healer. EIther lessen the kolto overload so people can actually kill the Mercenary or make the new shield weaker. Also, DPS that can shield healers is absolute bullcrap and should be removed ASAP.

Edited by ksobenes

EDIT: Mercenary also has the Stealth Scan that makes Operatives and Assassins null and void. I have literally killed an Assassin in Deception with his shield on in four seconds, and an Operative with his evasion and shield in less than four. When you can melt down the former OP subclass with relatively no effort, you know you've got somethin' broken.

What Mercenary needed was better 1v1, not being a better Tank than the Juggernaut. It's like pre-SoR where the Marauder and Sentinel could solo-tank Dreadtooth if they had a healer. EIther lessen the kolto overload so people can actually kill the Mercenary or make the new shield weaker. Also, DPS that can shield healers is absolute bullcrap and should be removed ASAP.

The merc/mando stealth scan has changed very little, if at all, in 5 years. You can, now, pick up an ability that gives you a damage buff but to get it you have to give up Thrill of the Hunt or, possibly, Trauma Regulators. So, it's kind of hard to take you seriously when you say it makes them null and void when it hasn't done that in the past.

Secondly, you have not killed either of those two classes in the time given unless they were already near death. Even then if they have their DCDs up I highly doubt it. Remember, the global cool down pretty much prevents what you are saying.

Also, with the other classes, you are assuming a level of competency that the player may, or may not, have. Hell, I've see sins/shadows running to cap a node and never bothering to stealth.

It's as if they took the ludicrous defenses of the Marauder and added it to a ranged class, with the combination of the Electro Net a Tanking Juggernaut cannot even touch the Mercenary.

As someone who's been a Mercenary main since 2012 I've been craving well deserved buffs, but there's such a thing as overbuffed.

Bioware either needs to nerf Mercenary/Commando, Assassin/Shadow and Marauder/Sentinel, or buff every other subclass to make them up to par with the current meta.

Remember when Juggernaut and Sorcerer were considered Overpowered and highest in power? Now they're garbage tier right now... no offense to my fellow Juggernaut/Guardian and the Sorcerer/Sage players.

:rak_mad:

How the hell do we Maras (and Sentinels) have ludicrous defences? We are pretty much a pure DPS class with frell all self heals and whatever damage we can do is highly dependent on being able to sustain it. I'm still the proverbial glass cannon who sacrifices DPS for survivability at times. The only idiots I've killed who I shouldn't have been able to are people who don't know their classes- if you can't kill a Marauder or Sentinel on other classes that aren't healers- you have a serious L2P problem. There's a reason we get tunnelled in Arenas and warzones and no, the fact we have defensives and stop you killing us in under ten seconds... stunlock fest to hell.

A lot of my higher kill count at the moment is completely cheap because we have so many non PvP players headed into warzones, and you either get cheap wins if they crowd the other team or a steamrolled, if they are on yours. Things haven't changed with players who know what they're doing.

Also if a frellwit DPS wants to guard a healer, blast the frell out of the healer and then switch to them when they're near death because they can't take the hits.

How the hell do we Maras (and Sentinels) have ludicrous defences? We are pretty much a pure DPS class with frell all self heals and whatever damage we can do is highly dependent on being able to sustain it. I'm still the proverbial glass cannon who sacrifices DPS for survivability at times. The only idiots I've killed who I shouldn't have been able to are people who don't know their classes- if you can't kill a Marauder or Sentinel on other classes that aren't healers- you have a serious L2P problem. There's a reason we get tunnelled in Arenas and warzones and no, the fact we have defensives and stop you killing us in under ten seconds... stunlock fest to hell.

A lot of my higher kill count at the moment is completely cheap because we have so many non PvP players headed into warzones, and you either get cheap wins if they crowd the other team or a steamrolled, if they are on yours. Things haven't changed with players who know what they're doing.

Also if a frellwit DPS wants to guard a healer, blast the frell out of the healer and then switch to them when they're near death because they can't take the hits.

On note with Marauder, I have yet to see any teammates of mine in Warzones able to 1v1 a Marauder, which is ridiculous. Although I do agree that stunlocking completely nulls the Marauder, they are far superior to the Juggernaut right now, even with the Immortal Juggernaut's various stuns and slows due to their massive DPS and their capabilities to survive long enough to outlast the Juggernaut and Sin shields that gets them through the hardest hitting attacks every other Melee class gives them. On my ignorance with Marauder (since I've yet to do a full playthrough as one), I've seen most of my attacks deal either no damage or I get completely punished for attacking the Marauder while they just heal up instantly.

However, Assassin still beats Marauder by miles due to their ludicrous Stunlock + 10000 damage in two seconds combo .

On par with DPS guarding Healers, the simple rule follows to either melt the Healer as fast as possible or stun lock them and kill the DPS. Same goes for Tanks and Healers except they can go 2v6 since literally every team I've seen can't stun a Heal to save their life.

Edited by ksobenes

The merc/mando stealth scan has changed very little, if at all, in 5 years. You can, now, pick up an ability that gives you a damage buff but to get it you have to give up Thrill of the Hunt or, possibly, Trauma Regulators. So, it's kind of hard to take you seriously when you say it makes them null and void when it hasn't done that in the past.

Secondly, you have not killed either of those two classes in the time given unless they were already near death. Even then if they have their DCDs up I highly doubt it. Remember, the global cool down pretty much prevents what you are saying.

The stealth scan hasn't been changed in five years, true, and being able to detect a stealth class gives a massive advantage, but before the massive buffs the average Sin could use force speed if the Merc didn't use Electro Net and the average Operative would just have to use exfiltrate. The current Merc/Mando can just back up 20 meters and pop the Hydraulic Overrides to avoid all slows and an electro-net to avoid melee damage, even if an Operative does Exfiltrate or Holotraverse. Although before the buffs the Mercenary was made of glass and had to be played carefully, now you can just get in the middle of everything without a single care in the world going 1v4 until you get backup or something.

Yes, I have killed both classes when they were at full health in an extremely short time. Critical hits are a jerk to handle, are they not? A simple electro-net, tracer missile, stun, priming shot, tracer missile, heatseeker missile and a final blazing bolts melts them easily, even without crits.

The stealth scan hasn't been changed in five years, true, and being able to detect a stealth class gives a massive advantage, but before the massive buffs the average Sin could use force speed if the Merc didn't use Electro Net and the average Operative would just have to use exfiltrate. The current Merc/Mando can just back up 20 meters and pop the Hydraulic Overrides to avoid all slows and an electro-net to avoid melee damage, even if an Operative does Exfiltrate or Holotraverse. Although before the buffs the Mercenary was made of glass and had to be played carefully, now you can just get in the middle of everything without a single care in the world going 1v4 until you get backup or something.

Yes, I have killed both classes when they were at full health in an extremely short time. Critical hits are a jerk to handle, are they not? A simple electro-net, tracer missile, stun, priming shot, tracer missile, heatseeker missile and a final blazing bolts melts them easily, even without crits.

Mercenary's damage is fine. They're the ranged nuke-y class now. The issue people have is that it can take an absurd amount of time to even get them near death WHILE they're able to freely **** all over you at 30m range.

Their kiting potential and survivability is too high for the damage output.

It's an advantage if you can place it in just the right spot at just the right time. If you don't or the stealther sees it, then it's just a pretty green circle on the ground.

Well then, that not the literal 4 seconds or shorter that you claimed now is it?

What? LOL

My reaction... I'm also trying to remember the last 'good' Immortal spec I 1v1-ed or saw a fellow Mara or Sent do the same. You know what classes we can 1v1 reliably... bad players. It's not our job to be the politically correct free food for all warzones and bad players- more than we already are for people who know we are squishy with few defensives and no significant self-heals. Most people I've 1v1 lately on classes I shouldn't have been able to haven't been so easily because of defensives but because the other player was downright terrible.

I'm going to stick with this is a learn-to-play issue... especially since I can squish Marauders/Sentinels on my Immortal Juggernaut, can just giggle and trick them into my teammates' sharp embrace on my Sawbones Scoundrel because there's always one who doesn't get healers can more than heal themselves.

My reaction... I'm also trying to remember the last 'good' Immortal spec I 1v1-ed or saw a fellow Mara or Sent do the same. You know what classes we can 1v1 reliably... bad players. It's not our job to be the politically correct free food for all warzones and bad players- more than we already are for people who know we are squishy with few defensives and no significant self-heals. Most people I've 1v1 lately on classes I shouldn't have been able to haven't been so easily because of defensives but because the other player was downright terrible.

I'm going to stick with this is a learn-to-play issue... especially since I can squish Marauders/Sentinels on my Immortal Juggernaut, can just giggle and trick them into my teammates' sharp embrace on my Sawbones Scoundrel because there's always one who doesn't get healers can more than heal themselves.

I personally easily melt Marauders and Sentinels, but mostly everyone else I've seen... Hnnnghh. I haven't fought enough of them to give a fair judgement, however, so take my opinion on Mar/Sent with a pinch of salt.

Mercenary's damage is fine. They're the ranged nuke-y class now. The issue people have is that it can take an absurd amount of time to even get them near death WHILE they're able to freely **** all over you at 30m range.

Their kiting potential and survivability is too high for the damage output.

I agree. As I said in an earlier post, the damage with survivability and kiting capabilities means a very long but extremely one-sided 1v1 or ridiculous tanking capabilities going 1v5 but being able to melt one person and damage one other, and with Thrill of the Hunt, you can just constantly kite without having to tank much, if at all. Combined with Pyroshield, the Merc gives unfair punishment to anyone even considering to even existing in their general direction.

The Merc needed either more survivability or more kiting capabilities without being constantly countered/having all efforts to escape be null and void without hydraulic overrides, not being able to become Death, destroyer of all while also being tanking extraordinaire at the same time.

Edited by ksobenes

You are complaining about a class being OP that has been **** on in pvp since launch. I have mained a merc healer since 1.2 and it finally feels good to play the class i love without getting blown up in 4v4's. I am willing to bet that most of the complaining is coming from sorcs, who have been OP since God Bubble came out. It is your turn to get the bottom end of class balance. let us mercs enjoy our one patch to be useful.

Fully agree. What is also funny is, the "OP" merc abilites, require the enemy to attack the merc for them to heal. Only 1 heals without being attacked, the reflect shield only heals when being attacked, same with the regular shield with the heal passive.

So in short, the ones complaining are too daft to notice that if they dont hit a merc when their DcDs are up, they die much easier (lift/incapacitate/stun while active if wanted).

Adding to this, when people complained that Sorcs/Ops were OP, they were told to "git gud". Now those same people complaing that mercs are OP, when their self heals are easily prevented by not attacking them? Unlike sorcs who had guaranteed invulnerability/heals with their annoying *** crutch barrier.

Edited by Ahbal

Fully agree. What is also funny is, the "OP" merc abilites, require the enemy to attack the merc for them to heal. Only 1 heals without being attacked, the reflect shield only heals when being attacked, same with the regular shield with the heal passive.

So in short, the ones complaining are too daft to notice that if they dont hit a merc when their DcDs are up, they die much easier (lift/incapacitate/stun while active if wanted).

I have to make this point again, since it seems mercs are prone to forgetting it. How often can you pop your energy shield? Every 35 seconds or so. How long is it up? 12 second.

What you're suggesting is to simply not hit a merc for 1/3 of the time. So easy, right? Let the ranged nuke freecast, or you'll heal him.

And for the record, I don't think many people are complaining about Responsive Safeguards. It's Trauma Regulators + Energy Rebounder that make for a combination hard to beat. Which would be fine if mercs couldn't also wreck from range.

I play a Combat Sentinel on Harbinger and have taken down plenty of Mercs already...Just have to know when to Stun and when to cloak out for a health node and go back after the DCD is burnt...

I don't try to hang with any class on my Sent that has strong DCDs I come in and out until they burn them and then drop my ridiculous burst on them......

On my Shadow I sweat Mercs even less....I use the same strategy but have an easier time since shadow has so much more control....

People need to stop trying to in your face kill Mercs while their DCDs are up....use some strategy now that they are no longer push overs......

Agreed on all of the above. I play a shadow, when i 1v1 a merc on say a pylon or node, i keep an eye out for their dcds, when i see them, i either force cloak or stun/root and run off to burn the time off. Once they are gone, they die just as well, if not easier than anyone else.

I have to make this point again, since it seems mercs are prone to forgetting it. How often can you pop your energy shield? Every 35 seconds or so. How long is it up? 12 second.

What you're suggesting is to simply not hit a merc for 1/3 of the time. So easy, right? Let the ranged nuke freecast, or you'll heal him.

And for the record, I don't think many people are complaining about Responsive Safeguards. It's Trauma Regulators + Energy Rebounder that make for a combination hard to beat. Which would be fine if mercs couldn't also wreck from range.

People also seem to forget that 90% of pvp is regs. Pugs will not be smart enough to "not attack the merc" when his dcds are up. It's the same reason why juggs are so good in regs, but not OP in ranked.

Hell, I can hardly get people to listen when I tell people "1 inc <node>, I got it" or, "DO NOT ATTACK THE STEALTHER, JUST CC HIM" when someone's delaying the node...

Adding to this, when people complained that Sorcs/Ops were OP, they were told to "git gud". Now those same people complaing that mercs are OP, when their self heals are easily prevented by not attacking them? Unlike sorcs who had guaranteed invulnerability/heals with their annoying *** crutch barrier.

I stand corrected in every point of "Merc needs rebalance/Everyone else should be buffed" argument I had. I forgot the nightmare that was 2014 God Bubble sorcs and egotistical Operatives. After looking over the classes again there are plenty of stuns, slows and Crowd Control abilities to take care of Merc while their defenses are up.

After playing a good amount of PvP as Mercenary and against Mercenaries, I now believe it is just incompetence of teammates, especially since every PvP game I've been in, I'm the only one killing the Mercenary and carefully timing my stuns to their defenses.

Real issue is that PvP is broken. No one even has the competence or attention span to pay attention to Mercenaries everywhere and their abilities to heal instantly if you let them, similar to the Juggernaut. Just pop defenses after popping your stuns, maybe stealth out of combat after placing a DoT on the Merc so they can't Reload, then come back in to kill them.

Edited by ksobenes