"All gold NPCs now grant 1 Command Experience point (down from 10)."

DakhathKilrathi

This is all smoke and mirrors. People have been going on and on about how terrible the RNG system is for the last couple of months. Bioware needed to do something to distract them.

So they nerfed it to 1 CXP.

Queue rage.

This is what's going to happen:

On Monday, Eric's going to make a post like this, "Hey guys! We know some people are a little upset about the changes we made to the Command XP gains. We would like to talk to you about that <insert a lame excuse here which will vaguely translate into " ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " > But we DO value your feedback. So on this thread please give us your input! We would like to hear from you!"

Queue a 200+ page thread in response.

The following Tuesday 5.0b will be released. It will read: "We listened to your valuable feedback and we have increased CXP gains on gold mobs by 500% (Translation: They'll be worth 5 CXP)! Once again, thank you to everyone for their input!"

And people will be just SO FRIGGIN GLAD that it's not 1 CXP that they will profusely thank Eric and the rest of the Dev team for "Compromising." They will call it "reasonable."

And THEN, if anyone DARES to call BW out on their BS RNG system, those people will be told to shut up because it could be so much worse.

Sounds familiar? It is, because this is EXACTLY what happened with the Companion Nerf. Except THIS time, even most of the White Knighters are against this.

And finally, finally someone gets it. Thank you. That is exactly what is happening each time.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And finally, finally someone gets it. Thank you. That is exactly what is happening each time.

And to top it off, it distracts from the real issue of how very little content we are actually getting. They had all year!!!!! All year, to give us gobs of content, but instead they built a crazy grind framework to buy them at least another year until more content is finally requested by people. EA must have fired everyone but a 3 man dev team, cause this is totally ridiculous at this point.

One day someone should compile a listing of the most stupid decisions taken by the SWTOR devs.

I am sure it'd be 100 pages long and this last "decision" is well positioned near the top.

But then it will get pushed into the "Off Topic" forum., because....feelings

And to top it off, it distracts from the real issue of how very little content we are actually getting. They had all year!!!!! All year, to give us gobs of content, but instead they built a crazy grind framework to buy them at least another year until more content is finally requested by people. EA must have fired everyone but a 3 man dev team, cause this is totally ridiculous at this point.

^ for truth.

Release the IP already. I can dream, I know.

This looks like someone one was looking at the metric and only the metric, Saw that one guy reached cap and freaked out and put in to make this panic change.

This is all smoke and mirrors. People have been going on and on about how terrible the RNG system is for the last couple of months. Bioware needed to do something to distract them.

So they nerfed it to 1 CXP.

Queue rage.

This is what's going to happen:

On Monday, Eric's going to make a post like this, "Hey guys! We know some people are a little upset about the changes we made to the Command XP gains. We would like to talk to you about that <insert a lame excuse here which will vaguely translate into " ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " > But we DO value your feedback. So on this thread please give us your input! We would like to hear from you!"

Queue a 200+ page thread in response.

The following Tuesday 5.0b will be released. It will read: "We listened to your valuable feedback and we have increased CXP gains on gold mobs by 500% (Translation: They'll be worth 5 CXP)! Once again, thank you to everyone for their input!"

And people will be just SO FRIGGIN GLAD that it's not 1 CXP that they will profusely thank Eric and the rest of the Dev team for "Compromising." They will call it "reasonable."

And THEN, if anyone DARES to call BW out on their BS RNG system, those people will be told to shut up because it could be so much worse.

Sounds familiar? It is, because this is EXACTLY what happened with the Companion Nerf. Except THIS time, even most of the White Knighters are against this.

If this is the case thats just awful move by them.

Edited by Applejacxs

You know the worst part about this? They did it on Saturday so there wouldn't be anyone in the office to have to deal with the community over the weekend. They're hoping we'll be over it by Monday.

And the thing is, EVERYONE was all like, "Huh? Update on a Saturday? That's...really super weird and not normal for them."

THIS IS WHY!

And if they think people are going to get over it? THEY'VE LEARNED ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THEIR PLAYERBASE!

Edited by AngFour

I killed the other thread, now time for this thread.

Why would anyone farm gold mobs for CXP when they can just do anything else in the game they enjoy doing for their CXP?

Because nothing else in game could give you 120 cxp every one to two minutes.

Try warzones- they tend to be over quickly and you don't really even have to participate. Just attack a few times to get medals and wait for it to end.

To ruins the whole game for another 7 players?

Really bad advice. You should be ashamed. :rak_01:

Because I don't enjoy the other options and/or I can't do them between GSF pops. The other options are also not NEARLY as efficient. Next stupid question?

Because nothing else in game could give you 120 cxp every one to two minutes.

So you're gonna do content you don't enjoy for CXP and then complain that grinding CXP isn't fun? Yeah that makes sense.

So what's the problem then? If you enjoy grinding mobs then a CXP nerf shouldn't matter.

I'm not getting anything out of it now. I also want to level CXP, because I want gear. Do you really not see why this is a problem or are you being contrary for the sake of being contrary. I was under the impression that the devs (and by extension anyone else) couldn't possibly be dense enough to see things your way, but you're proving that wrong.

I killed the other thread, now time for this thread.

You didn't kill any thread. It's very interesting to read that you feel as if you have to go into every thread, "kill" them with your flawless logic, and then move on to the next, seemingly engaging in a crusade to defend Bioware. Anyway, here goes:

So you're gonna do content you don't enjoy for CXP and then complain that grinding CXP isn't fun?

I enjoy grinding mobs inbetween queue pops. It gave a good amount of GCXP to compliment the warzone/uprisings gain I did from doing that content. The argument that we "complain about doing stuff we don't find enjoyable" is mood, seeing that many people don't mind grinding mobs inbetween.

It is the very idea behind this change that upsets people the most - a few people played this game like a religious crusade and acquired a good level of GCXP. Instead of slashing the golden mob CXP by half (which would mean that you hit the weekly cap by grinding 12 hours for the entire week), Bioware decided to nerf the CXP gain to 1(!). One single XP. I tip waiters 1 cent if the service was bad. Thus, Bioware is effectively punishing everyone who has not made good use of that grind as of yet - the few people who did are now close to tier 3, but the others are still at tier 1.

Even though I do not go for BiS gear that often, I can see why people are reasonably upset by making a system that was incredibly grindy (we're talking about 45 hours of gametime each week for nearly four weeks even with mob grinding) even more grindy. They also killed heroic GCXP gain because the heroics do not give a reasonable amount of GCXP anymore. The mobs were a big contributor that is now all but useless.

So what's the problem then? If you enjoy grinding mobs then a CXP nerf shouldn't matter.

Your argument is invalid because it leaves out an important factor: For doing some of the things people enjoy, they do need gear. Competitive PvP. Raiding. Master Uprisings and Chapters coming in January. These require a good amount of gear. Without gaining a reasonable amount of GCXP, there is no way people can engage in those activities. Ergo, they could not participate in the activities they find fun. That means they are complaining about not being able to gain gear to do the activities they enjoy. And I do not see a logical reason to accept that heroics should be worse than GSF pops or PvP.

If you say everyone should stop complaining and do what they like, the activities should be balanced out to reward good GCXP. That way, everyone can do what he likes, and there is no reason to complain about it. If my playstyle is being nerfed/neglected for no reason, people have all the reason to make their voice heard. It's an unleveled playing field.

Edited by Alssaran

I'm not getting anything out of it now. I also want to level CXP, because I want gear. Do you really not see why this is a problem or are you being contrary for the sake of being contrary. I was under the impression that the devs (and by extension anyone else) couldn't possibly be dense enough to see things your way, but you're proving that wrong.

The devs don't want you to feel you're being forced to do something you don't want to do. And because the players of this game are so obsessed with rewards over fun, they (the players) will do whatever content they don't want to do if it means getting the fastest rewards.

If you aren't having fun farming gold mobs now then you never were having fun farming gold mobs and were only doing it for the rewards. Bioware does not want this.

Edited by Swtorevolution

If you aren't having fun farming gold mobs now then you never were having fun farming gold mobs and were only doing it for the rewards. Bioware does not want this.

What Bioware wants people to feel is irrelevant. People felt that grinding golden mobs was enjoyable due to the good rate of XP. They don't drop that anymore, hence players who do heroics feel neglected. They feel punished for a reason - an activity that was viable before was killed because of 0.01% of the community was using it to reach the weekly cap.

The devs don't want you to feel you're being forced to do something you don't want to do.

And this heroic nerf is doing just that. With heroics and golden mobs dropping very little, and the flashpoint queue being very unreliable and luck based, the only thing I can do with the idea of gaining gear for master mode is doing warzones. Everything else has little return of investment, and it doesn't guarantee that I can have sufficient gear by the time the content I enjoy (master difficulty) is released.

If you want players to do what they want instead of what is efficient you have to even the playing field across all aspects of the game.

Edited by Alssaran

The worst thing about it is that the KotET story (which was just released to everyone yesterday), in and of itself, was actually pretty good (YMMV of course). But instead of people flooding the forums about that, the frickn' STORY, which BW uses as the game's main selling point, is COMPLETELY overshadowed by this asinine move.

I'd say words fail me, but I've been more prolific on these forums over the last few days than I have been in three years for my own personal writing. Too bad this didn't happen in November, because I could have used all the words I've written here for NaNoWriMo.

yup action by reaction they have hired a competent storyteller after KOTFE , they may or may no thire a competent group content designer for next expansion, lets hope this is the case and they don't let them go. man 2.0-2.5 was great in content and story why can't they repeat that?

I'm was Project Manager for a team of three Devs and the sheer amount of content those three developers pushed out in one year, shows how incompetent BW Austin is, and how little they care about this game. One whole year, and this is all they could create. It's like they only have one developer on the entirety of SWTOR, who is spending half their work hours smoking weed and watching Netflix.

What Bioware wants people to feel is irrelevant. People felt that grinding golden mobs was enjoyable due to the good rate of XP. They don't drop that anymore, hence players who do heroics feel neglected. They feel punished for a reason - an activity that was viable before was killed because of 0.01% of the community was using it to reach the weekly cap.

And this heroic nerf is doing just that. With heroics and golden mobs dropping very little, and the flashpoint queue being very unreliable and luck based, the only thing I can do with the idea of gaining gear for master mode is doing warzones. Everything else has little return of investment, and it doesn't guarantee that I can have sufficient gear by the time the content I enjoy (master difficulty) is released.

If you want players to do what they want instead of what is efficient you have to even the playing field across all aspects of the game.

Bioware wants you to enjoy the game, not force you into doing things you don't enjoy. The CXP reward for finishing heroics wasn't nerfed, so you were getting more CXP from gold mobs than what BIoware intended. A nerf in that case is justified, because the previous CXP gains incentivized players to do something they wouldn't normally enjoy doing. If players only enjoy farming mobs for the overtuned rewards, they aren't enjoying the activity, they're just enjoying the rewards.

I usually consider myself a reasonable person... So I was reasonably trying to calm down and enjoy the game for the last several hours... And I can't.

I was keeping away from heroics and just playing the story (which I liked a lot btw. during the last couple of days) and every time I encounter a golden mob and it gives me 1 cxp it feels like a slap on a face.

I'm trying to talk myself in to giving it a chance to be fixed, hoping that we get some announcement that they are rolling back the changes (and yes, I was enjoying a good old "kill mobs for exp" progression) but I just can't stop asking myself if I'm doing the reasonable thing by playing.

While the story was great everything else about this expansion is broken - the DvL is permanently stuck on one pole, and I mean permanently, haven't seen the other side win even once. Which is a design flaw.

The galactic command is not only random to the insane degree, but althou openly hostile to solo play starting today, while still being broken via PvP (how long before it all devolves in to a permanent win trading for cxp? My guess we are talking hours, not even days, it's well on the way)...

It's full of glitches and the servers lag in the most inconvenient way.

Is there anyone in Bioware that actually knows SOMETHING about MMOs? At leas played some at some point? The level of awful design decisions is staggering.

And I really, really wanted to love this expansion... :(