Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Sniper/Slinger in 5.0

Technohic

Loving it. Running Eng, the new EMP discharge seems a lot better. Having mobility and root/snare breaker together on counter measures adds something I found lacking. Healing on covered escape added another. And an extra 2 seconds on evasion is quite useful.

Not sure where we are in pecking order yet but the class is playing well. If only they didn't do the crappy RNG gear change.

MM changes on their own are not so spectacular. Maybe it's because nobody is in full gear yet, but the burst isn't as good as it used to be. That being said, the survivability boost more than makes up for it IMHO, this was something much needed for our class.

MM changes on their own are not so spectacular. Maybe it's because nobody is in full gear yet, but the burst isn't as good as it used to be. That being said, the survivability boost more than makes up for it IMHO, this was something much needed for our class.

Agreed. I think the survivability boost is better for Marksmanship sniper. Currently running a full Defense/heal setup with Stroke of Genius, Vital Regulators, Counteroffensive Safeguards & Reinforcing Retreat. I just dont see Executioner being worth it considering Marksman has OK burst already. Granted its still early days. Anyone else agree?

Edited by Gees

Agreed. I think the survivability boost is better for Marksmanship sniper. Currently running a full Defense/heal setup with Stroke of Genius, Vital Regulators, Counteroffensive Safeguards & Reinforcing Retreat. I just dont see Executioner being worth it considering Marksman has OK burst already. Granted its still early days. Anyone else agree?
Executioner would be good for PvE. In PvP with smart opponents who can control the healer, survivability is so much more priority, since a dead sniper does no DPS.

I didn't get Stroke of Genius though. I opt to go Seek Cover + Re-establish Range.

Doubt I'll ever step foot in a warzone again and won't do any pve other than the story on a couple of toons....but straight away within 10 mins of the first chapter....I found myself wanting to use shiv. One of the worst things they could have done was to get rid of it. That so called buff to countermeasures....

Sorry but they can keep it. Not impressed.

Doubt I'll ever step foot in a warzone again and won't do any pve other than the story on a couple of toons....but straight away within 10 mins of the first chapter....I found myself wanting to use shiv. One of the worst things they could have done was to get rid of it. That so called buff to countermeasures....

Sorry but they can keep it. Not impressed.

As a primarily MM sniper, I still haven't gotten used to lack of Shiv and Overload Shot as my go to instants. I don't care about Re-establish Range / Countermeasures, it's kinda nice, but not having those instants kinda hurts.

Have only done one wz at 70, but did a bunch levelling. SS is feeling pretty lack luster. A bit more durable, but am wondering why I'm not playing merc/mando for ranged tbh.

I did 4.5k dps and was the highest damage, but it didn't feel at all bursty, rather it felt like a sustained spec. A big aimed shot crit seems to be about 20% of the health pool opposed to about 25% in 4.x, trickshot hits like a wet noodle too.

Never realised how often I used quick shot when moving either...

Played sab briefly, and it just didn't feel right, not sure why. Might give it another go though.

Edited by THobbsy

I run eng as well. What utilities did you pick up?

I cannot remember off hand. Was a busy day yesterday so didn't even get to think about logging in. I do know I took the countermeasures utility though that people seem luke warm on. And on the legendary I took the 10% heal on roll that give 2 extra seconds on evasion as well and I can't remember the other one but other than that, mostly the same as I had before.

I don't know that the new utilities I took are the best bang for my buck but just a little self healing and mobility that doesn't require me to be in someones face or to waste entrench are both things I have wanted for a long time. That reminds me. I took the coverpulse defense utility that also gives and instant snipe. Gives me some fire on the move ability. Cover pulse to get some room and start running> Dart>probe>EP >snipe>discharge>nade

Hows Virulence? Anyone run it? I might run it a bit tonight or tomorrow as I generally switch between it and Eng pretty often.

Edited by Technohic

I've used virulence so far in 5.0. It is really strong and the new utilities help give it much need mobility and slightly better defensive abilities (for PVE). The only difficult thing is that overload shot is now gone, so you don't have a energy free ability. This means you will probably have to use rifle shot more than in 4.0, especially if you are dealing with fights with lots of adds.

This is the build I am currently using, although I'm still not completely sure if this is the best way to go or not :phttp://dulfy.net/2014/10/13/swtor-disciplines-calculator-swtor_miner/?link=dGEBAABGAQECGgECBQYSDxUX

Edited by cooperjf

The only difficult thing is that overload shot is now gone, so you don't have a energy free ability. This means you will probably have to use rifle shot more than in 4.0, especially if you are dealing with fights with lots of adds.

As a primarily MM sniper, I still haven't gotten used to lack of Shiv and Overload Shot as my go to instants. I don't care about Re-establish Range / Countermeasures, it's kinda nice, but not having those instants kinda hurts.

You can still use the Calculated Pursuit utility. Leaving cover makes the next 4 'Snipe' skills usable on the move. Not exactly an instant cast, but definitely an improvement that you're able to usa a rotational skill.

Thanks to the Muzzle Fluting passive (lvl 48), it's possible for a Marksmanship Sniper to iterate through a 'Snipe > Snipe > Followthrough' sequence for quite some time (you can also 'waste' Sniper Volley for the additional energy just like you would do it while spamming Suppressive Fire). Virulence has the benefit that Lethal Shot deals poison damage, triggering Weakening Blast as well and therefore getting energy reduction in case of a crit.

Edited by Lillythiel

The changes were really positive, on the whole. The kind of significant, yet carefully measured buffs that mercs should have got instead of 3 separate godmodes.

I shouldn't really complain after saying that, but these are the forums, so: changing the hardstun to weapon damage triggers me SO hard. It was infinitely better as a 4m tech damage ability.

edit: I'm 90% sure the snipe while moving utility is pretty garbage, at least in ranked. Maybe Virulence could scrape some value out if it.

Edited by BadKiteFly

edit: I'm 90% sure the snipe while moving utility is pretty garbage, at least in ranked. Maybe Virulence could scrape some value out if it.

definitly fun utility to play/test in regs for MM (combined with seek cover/roll), but not in ranked.

Edited by Thaladan

If a player was using Overload Shot before and miss it now, he probably did something wrong. The utility is mainly for PvE content, if you want to keep your rotation going even if you have to move. But yes, this ability could have at least grant immunity to interrupts.

• 4 weeks later...
Have only done one wz at 70, but did a bunch levelling. SS is feeling pretty lack luster. A bit more durable, but am wondering why I'm not playing merc/mando for ranged tbh.

I did 4.5k dps and was the highest damage, but it didn't feel at all bursty, rather it felt like a sustained spec. A big aimed shot crit seems to be about 20% of the health pool opposed to about 25% in 4.x, trickshot hits like a wet noodle too.

Never realised how often I used quick shot when moving either...

Played sab briefly, and it just didn't feel right, not sure why. Might give it another go though.

Merc/mandos gonna nerfed to oblivion that for sure.

On the other hand i was always against "fashion" so i have my mando and merc on dust cause of all those playing out there.

That been said, i feel my sling/snipe more fun to play than mando/merc cause of the effort you have to put in fight to make things happened.

Mostly for pvp i like to play sab. All those roots making my enemies to lose patience and start making huge mistakes. Not care for the dmg numvers at the end of the match. I like its mobility a lot and all that can give to my team...

Edited by Sotmax

I agree.

in the actual PvP, there are less (but less) roots, few examples :

- no more madness sorcs (or few..)

- sorc bump+root utility in the wrong tier (better to chose)

- saccage root utility, useless choice for maras and only for one jugg spec.

so roots playing sabo/engi is quite effective because players use less anti root utilities too. ;)

Edited by Thaladan

I agree.

in the actual PvP, there are less (but less) roots, few examples :

- no more madness sorcs (or few..)

- sorc bump+root utility in the wrong tier (better to chose)

- saccage root utility, useless choice for maras and only for one jugg spec.

so roots playing sabo/engi is quite effective because players use less anti root utilities too. ;)

Apart from that, applying a leg shot and start grenade the enemy is the only way to stay alive in many situations.

Especially with all those mercs out there, i can root them down(in case they re out of hydralics) and move myself some meters away to get outof range.

I also absolutely love the mobility of sab as if you re on chase/kite, you only have to stop for speed shot and nothing more ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.