KOTET Livestream - 11/23

EricMusco

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Charles has said that there will be no new returning companions with 5.0. Alliance alerts proved to be a failure because of the lack of voice-over, and the companion recruitment chapters 10-14 were disliked by the players because they distracted from the overall story.

So the devs do want to bring back the companions but in a better way than during KotFE. For 6.0, I'd expect that any returning companions will be deeply connected into the story, like the main characters (Lana, Theron, Koth, T7), and they won't just be side-missions. Charles has stressed how important it is for him to have the companions returning, so you just need to be patient. :)

I admit that I smirked. It's ironic that the people (not all, of course) requesting back their beloved companions were at the same time complaining about the recruiting chapters and alerts. Their complaints have been heard. As a result they don't get their beloved companions back for a very long time. Less complaining, more chilling next time. (Call me white knight. :p)

Ah okay, thanks for the response! However, the NiM crystals only require the Tier 2 material (Dark Matter Catalyst), not the Tier 1 material. :( Will the Tier 2 material also be sold on the Jawa vendors?

AHA now I get the interest in NiM crystals, you want to go do NiMs on day one with crystals and 224 gear for CXP right? :)

I admit that I smirked. It's ironic that the people (not all, of course) requesting back their beloved companions were at the same time complaining about the recruiting chapters and alerts. Their complaints have been heard. As a result they don't get their beloved companions back for a very long time. Less complaining, more chilling next time. (Call me white knight. :p)

Its actually mostly BS. Some people always complain, but the vast majority liked the return of important story companions in a main chapter. It made sense to have romance options/key companions return as a main story character, more involved than just a few non-voice over lines, and the rest like they do now. Sticking it to skadge was probably a pleasure for many BH :p.

They just didnt want to bother, and they broke promises they had done a few months ago doing so.

I'm pretty sure they took a few lessons from a few political parties on this one. Sure feels like someone backing off a "promise".

Edited by verfallen

All of this progression relies on you and your group beating bosses though if all you like to do is raid ( that's me in a nut shell and story which won't give me CXP as I ideally won't be 70 by then if I jump straight in )and I also do GTN stuffs ).

Do you really think that just by running operations I am going to get gear in a better or even similar speed or fashion to pre 4.0?

That's the crux of it for me. I don't want to do the other ****, I did it for DvL and I couldn't even bring myself to finish that. I am not doing it again.

The CXP rewards of HM relies on you actually beating bosses - so did drops in the old system but the gear you could get on day 1 from the old system was a massive improvement on what you can get in 5.0.

The funny thing here is I'm not even taking into consideration the RNG - this is purely to get to a tier where I start getting gear designed to help me beat the content I want to do.

The old system was fine. They could have nerfed the drops on EV/KP to a tier below if that was such an issue. Yes outrage but not as much as removing drops altogether. They could have added their innovation ... buy why at the expense of an entire type of player?

Totally understandable. I've never been a pure ops players; sure operations are my favorite activity but outside of raid night, I also enjoy the other parts of the game. We have some players in our guild who only log in for the raid, but the others do PvP or flashpoints in the off-time. Those players that don't have time for anything outside of raids will lack behind in gear, so we'll either have to carry them or get them crafted gear. I don't want to kick them because they've been reliable players for 2+ years and I don't think we'll find replacements, so we have to deal with it. It's not the end of the world for us and we deal with it like we have always done.

AHA now I get the interest in NiM crystals, you want to go do NiMs on day one with crystals and 224 gear for CXP right? :)

No, but we have stored up materials worth around 600 million credits just so we can craft NiM crystals if we choose to do so. We already got rid of the DMCs a couple weeks ago but now I guess it would have been better to keep them. At least we still have the flagship plans.

But to be honest, I'm not even sure if we are going to use the NiM crystals, we may just end up selling the materials.

Edited by Jerba

No, Charles has said that there will be no new returning companions with 5.0. Alliance alerts proved to be a failure because of the lack of voice-over, and the companion recruitment chapters 10-14 were disliked by the players because they distracted from the overall story.

So the devs do want to bring back the companions but in a better way than during KotFE. For 6.0, I'd expect that any returning companions will be deeply connected into the story, like the main characters (Lana, Theron, Koth, T7), and they won't just be side-missions. Charles has stressed how important it is for him to have the companions returning, so you just need to be patient. :)

That's the shame of it. While I agree that the alerts were a failure, they could have been a lot of fun if they had invested that little bit extra to have them fully voiced. It should'nt have surprised anyone that they went over like a lead balloon. Apparently I'm in the minority in thinking chapters 11, 13 & 14 were the only fun ones. The rest were pretty damn boring, and yay, KotET will only focus on the boring parts!

And speaking of companions, when you have no good choice, that isn't the kind of choice that I want to matter. I detest "damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios." That doesn't make the story any more meaningfully or exciting to me, it just pisses me off!

Edited by Damask_Rose

• A CXP boost is not just another XP boost and it is borderline pay-to-win, if not already pay-to-win depending on the definition.

I completely agree. PLEASE don't do this. Please. I'm sure you can see the amount of players who are extremely disappointed that you would even consider doing something like this.

I completely agree. PLEASE don't do this. Please. I'm sure you can see the amount of players who are extremely disappointed that you would even consider doing something like this.

I like it, I don't have 30 hours a day to do mindless grind and if this will cost me my monthly CC reward I can live with that.

You do realize that the people aking for the love interests to return are not the same people who didn't enjoy the few that have? Two completely different groups of players?

Would you find it ironic if Bioware declares the DvL bosses to be the 8-16 man content they have been talking about and then raiders complain? They are, after all 8-16 man content. Just what they asked for! Right? :rolleyes:

The crafting of the Crystal of Nightmare Fury is unchanged! You can get the Tier 1 Exotic material from the Jawa Scrap Vendors.

Also, to answer a question from the stream. Alliance Supply Crates will still come from Heroic Missions as they do now.

-eric

I think the question was in relation to the value of command crates, will command rank have any effect on the game. At the moment it seems fairly pointless with a minor bufff at level 10 in star fortresses. Currently turning in enough will get you some gifts, orange junk gear and some crystals. Clearly crystals are no more and gifts can be purchased with credits so are supply crates and command rank going to be ignored like so many other aspects of the game?

Apologies if this question has already been answered, in the livestream someone commented that they would post the answer, either yesterday or today, but I have been unable to find it.

I'm wondering if we will be able to remove the armoring from the gear. If not what happens to all of the older legacy gear? This will be basically useless if we have no armor to put in it.

Apologies if this question has already been answered, in the livestream someone commented that they would post the answer, either yesterday or today, but I have been unable to find it.

I'm wondering if we will be able to remove the armoring from the gear. If not what happens to all of the older legacy gear? This will be basically useless if we have no armor to put in it.

You mean currently? Like your legacy 224s BiS? You can you still remove and move around armorings, mods and enhancements. I think what your more asking for is the new gear we are getting from the command crates? To my knowledge of whats happening is the gear that drops, even if it is not a set bonus, will still have armorings, mods and enhancements in it. People (even me) have seen greens and blues and even purples have no armorings, mods and enhancements in them for 5 years, so when everyone heard "Green gear drops in the command crates!" everyone freaked. Now I'm not 100% sure, and we most likely need to wait till 5.0, (lame and wish we got a 100% confirmed official answer) but I think the greens, blues and purple gear that will drop with the command crates will have armorings, mods and enhancements in them for you to rip out. And because they are a higher rating and level 70, greens will be better rating then our current gear tier, (though I'm thinking with number people, this will be debatable and I will yield to them as they know numbers a heck of a lot more then me) but for set bonues, as you want to hang onto those even if they are 204 pvp ones, because its going to be a LONG time till you get the new set bonuses, but you can still switch out the new tier of mods and enhancements.

Hope that somewhat answers the question, and sorry I couldn't give a 100% clear one. Sadly.....that seems to be par for the course with this xpac.....mostly not 100% clear answers. *sigh* :(

Armorings will work as they do now.

I just confirmed with the team that you can move armorings as you can the other mods. It works like it does in KOTFE in that they can be moved between similar pieces of gear.

-eric

I know Charles doesn't read these forums, but if someone could make him aware, that the chapters felt dull and like filler chapters Not because of the introduction of companions but because the stories were often meaningless and the companions we got back where hardly the most popular ones.

Chapter 10 - Kaliyo Djannis and anarchist who had been partnered with the Agent which if played straight mostly gets disapproves from her and of all the companions with perhaps the exception of Scorpio fits least well into an imperial strike team. And her chapter following her around to find out she is going to blow up some stuff, has a bunch of kids following her and is now betraying her employer (oh betrayal what a shock). It then culminates in a choice that undoes most of the explosives.

Chapter 11 - Aric Jorgan a more fitting trooper companion but sadly one that isn't utilized to the full and in the orginial game quickly replaced by the healer companion Elara Dorne who is also more interesting given her back story and still the model of efficiency. Here the real kicker though is you follow Aric around being dictated to by him of what you can do. Any pragmatic choice of the mission coming first (something Aric used to be for) is dismissed and in fact wrong as you clearly do have time to walk around saving non mission critical targets.

Now Chapter 12 comes along - No companions to recruit and your about the mount an offensive and the traitor Lana Baniko spies a way to sabotage and tells you to go play with yourself in the woods. Like a chump you do it get ambushed, and then spend the rest of the time learning about a new way to use the force which is it turns out a lie. However because your not there, the people you spend the last 2 months recruiting fail miserably and surprise surprise dictate to you what they will do if they don't like your choices.

So this was 3 months of story content to get no where. 3 Months of story to not advance the story in the slightest let along to achieve anything in respect to the Alliance. Populated mostly by skytroopers falling from the sky.

The we have a bank heist in which the wealth is spent on one bottle of brandy? We never see it again.

We have a planet assault where we get a droid which spends its entire time deactivated and then is used in an obvious plot to betray us.

Finally we get attacked at our super secret base and only win because someone who wants us dead and has an entire fleet at her command is defeated by our plot armor and picks that moment to upload code to her fleet to give them free will. Surely the time to do that was 10 mins later after they invaded and destroyed the alliance. Oh and not forgetting 2 attempts to (Arcann dies) results in him living.

To blame companions for this is a disingenuous comment and seems more like an excuse to justify them not coming back than a reason.

TL;DR

You know well that this is a game, meant to make profit. When they run out of ideas they have to bring something that will keep the people playing/paying. Thats what KOTFE/KOTET is, just a way to keep the players subbed, to keep the money coming in.

The question is if you like it or not. I like other things in the game, not the story, i love the SW story, not this story which is taking place way before and has no real meaning. They can write what ever they want and they will be extending the story as long as people will pay.

I know Charles doesn't read these forums, but if someone could make him aware, that the chapters felt dull and like filler chapters Not because of the introduction of companions but because the stories were often meaningless and the companions we got back where hardly the most popular ones.

Chapter 10 - Kaliyo Djannis and anarchist who had been partnered with the Agent which if played straight mostly gets disapproves from her and of all the companions with perhaps the exception of Scorpio fits least well into an imperial strike team. And her chapter following her around to find out she is going to blow up some stuff, has a bunch of kids following her and is now betraying her employer (oh betrayal what a shock). It then culminates in a choice that undoes most of the explosives.

Chapter 11 - Aric Jorgan a more fitting trooper companion but sadly one that isn't utilized to the full and in the orginial game quickly replaced by the healer companion Elara Dorne who is also more interesting given her back story and still the model of efficiency. Here the real kicker though is you follow Aric around being dictated to by him of what you can do. Any pragmatic choice of the mission coming first (something Aric used to be for) is dismissed and in fact wrong as you clearly do have time to walk around saving non mission critical targets.

Now Chapter 12 comes along - No companions to recruit and your about the mount an offensive and the traitor Lana Baniko spies a way to sabotage and tells you to go play with yourself in the woods. Like a chump you do it get ambushed, and then spend the rest of the time learning about a new way to use the force which is it turns out a lie. However because your not there, the people you spend the last 2 months recruiting fail miserably and surprise surprise dictate to you what they will do if they don't like your choices.

So this was 3 months of story content to get no where. 3 Months of story to not advance the story in the slightest let along to achieve anything in respect to the Alliance. Populated mostly by skytroopers falling from the sky.

The we have a bank heist in which the wealth is spent on one bottle of brandy? We never see it again.

We have a planet assault where we get a droid which spends its entire time deactivated and then is used in an obvious plot to betray us.

Finally we get attacked at our super secret base and only win because someone who wants us dead and has an entire fleet at her command is defeated by our plot armor and picks that moment to upload code to her fleet to give them free will. Surely the time to do that was 10 mins later after they invaded and destroyed the alliance. Oh and not forgetting 2 attempts to (Arcann dies) results in him living.

To blame companions for this is a disingenuous comment and seems more like an excuse to justify them not coming back than a reason.

I'd just like to add that the Dark Side choice in Aric's chapter is sort of a poster-moment for the whole problem with KotFE's story. (I paraphrase because it's been ages since I could force myself to replay KotFE story, but still:)

The Dark Side choice is to tell him to forget about the civilians and get on with important things.

No matter who and what you are, he tells you to sod off and that he'll do what he wants. And you don't get a choice. You can't even tell him a lame (gray side choice?) to sort it out and look you up if he survives. No. You have to do as he wants.

The chapter's plot worked well for light side characters - again. And Aric's voice actor did such a fantastic job that I almost feel as if I want to roll a new female trooper just so I can romance him again and experience those few extra lines he says that made me tear up. ....but back on point.

One of the biggest issues with most of KotFE's story is that if you play a Dark Side character, you're left feeling stupid, unreasonable and petty most of the time. The "correct" choice is always the Light Side choice, even if that choice is logically the worst choice possible.

Hope you will finally answer my questions. :)

• A reassurance that GC has nothing to do with the Cartel Market, that you will not sell any CXP boosts on the CM and that you still don't want the game to go P2W.
  • An explanation why repair costs are being quadrupled in endgame PvE, and how do you think it is justified to tax only endgame raiders and not e.g. PvP players who aren't interested in buying decorations.
  • A statement regarding unassembled tokens. Will they be converted or be scrapped?
  • A fulfillment of your promise to get the answer to the Crystal of Nightmare Fury crafting materials. What are your plans for it come 5.0?
  • An explanation how we can get 4.0 crafting materials come 5.0.

If you can do this, I'm impressed, then you would truly follow WoW's example in how a Q&A should look like. I don't care if these questions are super-specific, for all I care you can do a 1-hour rapid fire session where you go through the questions one after another. The normal questions (when is the expansion coming out, how does GC/DvL work, or the above questions by JediAkemi) we already know the answers to, you don't need to cover those.

Today is Wednesday, not Thursday. Unless you want to do it on Thanksgiving after all. :D

No self respecting nightmare guild would ever use those crystals, they cheapen nightmare to the point that its not worth doing. As has been said many times those crystals should be removed form the game

tl;dr

Dmn! After Chapters 1-9 I unsubbed and didn't come back until I could pick up 10-16 in one go, and I thought it was pretty bad writing and pacing. I can't begin to imagine the iron will (or stomach) required to play it one agonizing chapter a month for seven months.

And instead of learning from their lessons, BW response was, "They *think* that was bad? We'll show them what *really* bad is in 5.0."