Eric musco: 5.0 update freak out solution

NakodaTheJedi

Honestly, it wouldn't help. People find something to pick apart and even draw their own conclusions, usually assuming the worst. For instance, they say new group content is coming. They list it, and people go, so no group content is coming.

Then maybe they should wonder why this happens. After years of dissapointments, dissillusions, and plain and simple lies, maybe that's the reason people only see, or imagine, the worst possible outcomes when they change stuff in the game.

Then maybe they should wonder why this happens. After years of dissapointments, dissillusions, and plain and simple lies, maybe that's the reason people only see, or imagine, the worst possible outcomes when they change stuff in the game.

please name 3 lies they've told

hint: better than cross server isn't one, they released that in the form of pve./pvp instances

Explaining their vision would go a long way. Mentioning that they have one isn't enough, not when they know they have so many upset old players.

***I had to remove the stuff I was about to say since it got pretty vicious within the first two paragraphs, and I'm tired of seeing myself whine***

How about a bit of a road map?

How about proper clarity in the statements?

How about some simple Yes/No answers to the most pressing questions people are asking?

***Removed more stuff because it was getting vicious and whiny again***

Explaining their vision would go a long way. Mentioning that they have one isn't enough, not when they know they have so many upset old players.

How about a bit of a road map?

How about proper clarity in the statements?

How about some simple Yes/No answers to the most pressing questions people are asking?

First, cred on removing stuff getting vicious. :)

Second, I think this is a good idea. Roadmaps and communication are inherently good things for a multiplayer game. Warframe has had a great way of doing things in my opinion.

I think the biggest reason this isn't so when it comes to SWTOR (and a lot of other games) is that many companies work with iterations. That is, you test out and idea and then you make changes to it as you go. These changes may be everything from small tweaks to scrapping the idea all together. Working with iterations makes it hard to talk to the community since some things might change drastically from one build to the next. With communities taking things as 'promises' when they are 'maybes', and with limited time and possibility (30min vids, blog posts) to communicate the vision as a whole, that kind of transparency -can- do more harm than good.

If a community was more benevolent and willing to -not- take everything shown for granted (or believe every little thing would end the game) I think developers (in general) would be willing to increase communication and transparency.

That said I, personally, believe that SWTOR would benefit from a longer. more relaxed, hangout kind of monthly stream (much like Warframe) where they have time to give a outline of the current vision and how the iterations change (or don't). That way they could be clear on -what- they're working on, how, why and -if- they are features that are to be implemented, experimental or subject to drastic change.

Lastly, I have no idea if that made sense or was incoherent nonsense. I haven't slept for 32 hours and I have to much blood in my caffeine circulatory system. Apologies if it was a pointless, messy, rant.

Edited by Darcor

hint: better than cross server isn't one, they released that in the form of pve./pvp instances

I don't think the pvp/pve instances had anything to do with "better than cross-sever" since they do absolutely nothing to reduce que times.

I really wonder where they get the idea that they need to make it easier for new players. Do they really have the data to support that approach to that extent (since 3.0)?

For me, part of the fun as a new player is exploring a game, the mechanics, the possibilities etc. When I see that everything is straight-, flat- and streamlined, that there's nothing to discover beyond what's obvious right off the start, I'm quickly bored.

Well, the mobile market is likely bigger than your average behemoth of an MMO these days. And they make bank on mobile games by nickle and diming people.

So you put two and two together. Profit as bottom line + wanting profits of mobile market = simplification.

Those of us who have been playing games from a young age, in particular MMOs, are increasingly becoming the fringe "hardcore" market that developers most often listen to feedback from, but ultimately aren't supposed to make games for. Gaming is more mainstream now, so it's made fun of less, but it's also simplified more for people who are small in experience, but may have big wallets.

That said, I'm oversimplifying the whole conversation a lot. One of the things that I've seen happen is that as technology got more advanced and game design became more prolific, developers started making games increasingly complicated, stuffed with so many features that basic functionality became unclear in the process.

I mean, if I look back at a classic title like Ocarina of Time... there was a LOT to do outside of the main story experience, but ultimately, the gameplay itself was incredibly simple and straightforward. Move character around, hack things with sword, solve puzzles. Or another of my favorites, Goldeneye: Shoot things with gun, try not to die.

Now shooters are like, "Well, here you have your basic rifle. This has a medium zoom. Then you have your pistol for close-range, your sniper rifle for long-range, your grenades, rocket launcher, helicopter, tank," and on and on.

But then again, were MMOs ever simple at their core? MUDs were the predecessor and they came in part from D&D. I've never played D&D, but I've heard it can have a lot of different rules.

No one bringing up Makeb being a free update from the start yet? (Linking on my phone is a pain but there's a video)

- Truth be told I don't begrudge them for changing their tentative plans as circumstances change, but while I'm not grabbing any pitchforks any time soon it is worth remembering what their track record is like - the good and the bad.

Edited by DarthDymond

Does this count too?

Hey folks,

We know that there have been many questions about the Contraband Slot Machine and its intent. Here are a few notes on it:

• The Contraband Slot Machine is not bugged.
  • It is 100% not an exploit to use the Slot Machine.
  • If you feel the desire to sell access to your Stronghold, that’s totally up to you. As a reminder, do not scam people as that is against ToS.
  • We added the Slot Machine as a fun idea based on the positive feedback from the Nightlife event, so spend those credits to your heart’s content!

With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly. I will let you know once I know more. In the meantime, have fun! :rak_03:

-eric

Well, the mobile market is likely bigger than your average behemoth of an MMO these days. And they make bank on mobile games by nickle and diming people.

So you put two and two together. Profit as bottom line + wanting profits of mobile market = simplification.

Those of us who have been playing games from a young age, in particular MMOs, are increasingly becoming the fringe "hardcore" market that developers most often listen to feedback from, but ultimately aren't supposed to make games for. Gaming is more mainstream now, so it's made fun of less, but it's also simplified more for people who are small in experience, but may have big wallets.

That said, I'm oversimplifying the whole conversation a lot. One of the things that I've seen happen is that as technology got more advanced and game design became more prolific, developers started making games increasingly complicated, stuffed with so many features that basic functionality became unclear in the process.

I mean, if I look back at a classic title like Ocarina of Time... there was a LOT to do outside of the main story experience, but ultimately, the gameplay itself was incredibly simple and straightforward. Move character around, hack things with sword, solve puzzles. Or another of my favorites, Goldeneye: Shoot things with gun, try not to die.

Now shooters are like, "Well, here you have your basic rifle. This has a medium zoom. Then you have your pistol for close-range, your sniper rifle for long-range, your grenades, rocket launcher, helicopter, tank," and on and on.

But then again, were MMOs ever simple at their core? MUDs were the predecessor and they came in part from D&D. I've never played D&D, but I've heard it can have a lot of different rules.

Ok, if I understand you correctly, they want to cash in on a highly fluctuating short-attention-span, instant-gratification-seeking player base, and they have to make significant changes within a short time to give them a reason to sub for a month or two again before they run off to the next game that is new or has been updated?

I wonder if that's what they've seen in their data after 3.0 and 4.0? Because if there has been a spike in player numbers after those game updates, it certainly feels like they failed to retain them.

Maybe... if the game stops being the game I want, maybe it's time to become the player the game wants and only sub for a month or two per year. My wallet certainly won't complain, and neither will my Japanese teacher if I have more time to study kanji. :rak_03:

Edited by KyaniteD

Just for the sport of it, some of my favs

1. Canderous Ordo is a target server (was switched to origin on a less-than-24-hours notice after being listed as target server for more than two months)
  2. Nothing will be taken away from our characters/we won't lose anything (they removed our crafting schematics, not just for armorings and enhancements, but also barrels, which didn't even get switched to another crew skill)
  3. They won't remove anything without prior notice (they removed planetary armor/weapons vendors without prior notice)

Just for the sport of it, some of my favs

1. Canderous Ordo is a target server (was switched to origin on a less-than-24-hours notice after being listed as target server for more than two months)
  2. Nothing will be taken away from our characters/we won't lose anything (they removed our crafting schematics, not just for armorings and enhancements, but also barrels, which didn't even get switched to another crew skill)
  3. They won't remove anything without prior notice (they removed planetary armor/weapons vendors without prior notice)

Don't forget they also said they would return LIs with Season 2 and it's looking like they're not.

Jesus... page 4 of this thread though... you got a lot more than you bargained for...

Another one is how they will be more open with communication in the community from years ago, and updating swtor.spy.net.

Player complaints in tickets and in the forums.

If player complaints in the forums were key 5.0 would have been scrapped by now with the volume of community uproar. With all of these changes to make classes brainless I'm fearful that 6.0 will remove all choices and armor so we're exactly like our companions - just choose the healer\DPS\Tank button and the game outfits you with the appropriate gear and abilities with no research or learning necessary!

^^ I think you'll find that's known as trolling/sarcasm

Well I know people that have asked it legitimately too. Myself I thought they could have made it as a fun option for system to system travel (and somewhat more realistic) but seems they abandoned this to the past.

Maybe it's the games incredibly easy baby mode difficulty that's the reason of it you know? Instead of nerfing everything so people can complete, why not slowly teach the player how to deal with these situations slowly. TEC was a step in the right direction, but its buried all the way in the back of the game, and by then you will have likely struggled through several flashpoints by then.

It's like swimming you know, you learn by wading through the baby pool, then into the big kids pool, wade around where your feet no longer touch the water, the deep end, etc. etc. If your thrown in the middle of the ocean of course you're going to drown, you need to slowly work your way up there, and yes, that includes the baby pool if required!

^^ This.

Swtor was my first MMO which I played after it went F2P because of KOTOR.

Levelling my first toon was a challenge for me and I died (a lot). I actually gave up when I got to Alderaan, deleted it and made a new toon because I was dying to trash mobs (I was under-levelled and both myself and my companion were under-geared). The story taught you how to play the game, for example using interrupts, because on some fights, if you didn't use your interrupt, you'd die.

I got to max level on my first toon and I did quite a few HM Flashpoints (I'd done story flashpoints whilst levelling). I then joined a guild and started doing some SM raids with them; I then progressed to HM and then NiM.

Levelling now is just a joke in terms of difficulty - my companion could probably do all the combat in the game for me, or if I set them to heal, its pretty much impossible to die. Even the end of chapter bosses are so easy that they die in a handful of GCDs.

I don't think the pvp/pve instances had anything to do with "better than cross-sever" since they do absolutely nothing to reduce que times.

"Better than cross-server" was mentioned at the Galactic Command focus test closing Q&A, the look on Eric's face when it was mentioned...

Edited by Houzukimaru

Honestly, it wouldn't help. People find something to pick apart and even draw their own conclusions, usually assuming the worst. For instance, they say new group content is coming. They list it, and people go, so no group content is coming.

Someone said it well though. If you're talking about comms and crystal changes, it's probably to prevent people from suiting up in full armor on the first day. This is also why they're doing RNG. Say you group up and do 2-3 hrs worth of stuff. You'll get up to 9 RNG boxes. 9! If they were all different then you'd have nearly your full set in 3 hrs.

The point of RNG is that someone WILL get 9 different pieces and be nearly fully geared, just like someone wins that mega-million lottery.

Edited by CorellianWannabe