Gearing Changes in Eternal Throne

EricMusco

Personally speaking, the more RNG involved in a game, the greater the sense of agitation I feel while playing it. People with good rng will be happy, people with bad rng will be unhappy, neither of them at the system itself but the results of the system.

Of course I understand why games do this, because psychologically a player will grind for longer for RNG rather than a guaranteed reward with a longer path. It doesn't mean I enjoy or like it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly this RNG Crates for max gear is a real flashback to the 1.0 PVP Boxes. I'm really unhappy if this will continue, cause in the past i was unlucky with those drops as hell and never got full geared till the removal of the RNG. Actually it will also remove some fun and possibilitys from the game. Up till now you can swap your stats in a blink of an eye...but what happens with KOTET? Really, i have to grind and hope for the optimal pieces for an alternate pvp set?

Holy heck -- drops are completely random?

That's great.

I mean, it was already frustrating enough trying to win need rolls or wait my turn to get a certain piece, like an earpiece or relic, but now I have to pray to RNGesus that he gives me a certain item before I can gear up further? Hahaha...

galactic command ....

its not legacy or account wide, its character only

Yep, we can make 50 characters on a server but the game is focusing more and more to discouraging making alts.

It's gonna be great.

Raid leader: we have a healer short and a dps too many. Can someone switch to a healer alt?

Raid members: erm we haven't been able to gear up our alts yet. Sorry.

Raid leader: ok, ops is cancelled, let's grind something to gear up our alts except in the content we wanted to do.

Sounds brilliant.

Your decision to prevent Preferred players from gearing up through GC will hurt a lot of raid teams. Even just with my own guilds 7 raid teams I know several of them will lose people. Please don't do this.

The lack of new raid content was already a major slap to raiders and now you tell them you are going to stop their friends playing with them unless they re-sub.

Second question: what will happen to current commendation vendors? Gear vendors? Decoration vendors? How will we be able to acquire decorations sold for PvE commendations or Warzone commendations presently?

This is also a question I'd like answered - if your removing commendations & crystal's... what will happen to all the leveling gear that you can get via crystals as you level?

I ask as currently leveling I get green crystals from questing, which I use to buy green gear-upgrades from vendors on fleet every ~4 level's or so. My only other option to get these upgrades is to buy off the GTN or make them myself, assuming I have the correct crew skill to make what I need.

Will we still be getting green crystals as we level up, and thus only the blue data crystals will be gone? Or are new players, or those leveling characters be reliant on GTN and/or crew-skills to gear up as they level?

And yes, I'm sure ppl will scoff and go "no new player's"... but I do see them around. I'd also include myself... Been around since the original open beta, but haven't played much and thus don't have millions/villions in credits or all relevant crew skills.

Also I know this thread is about the "Level 70" endgame stuff, but if they are getting rid of all PvE/PvP commendations and crystals... that WILL effect under-70 characters if they remove the green crystal's... as well as the decorations & other stuff as pointed out by the poster I quoted.

Does this mean that, for people who use ops passes and gear unlocks to raid with their team as a Preferred status player, that ops passes are useless and that one, essentially, must be subscribed to perform at the highest level?

Yes, this is exactly what it means... no one will take F2P/Preferred players along anymore on OP runs, or even HM FPs, since they'll be seriously undergeared if all OP and FP content gets scaled up to level 70 BiS gear.

Does this mean that, for people who use ops passes and gear unlocks to raid with their team as a Preferred status player, that ops passes are useless and that one, essentially, must be subscribed to perform at the highest level?

Yes, you can be preferred with a hundred op passes saved up. But, the best gear that you will ever get will be what your guild mates craft for you.

Sadly this RNG Crates for max gear is a real flashback to the 1.0 PVP Boxes. I'm really unhappy if this will continue, cause in the past i was unlucky with those drops as hell and never got full geared till the removal of the RNG. Actually it will also remove some fun and possibilitys from the game. Up till now you can swap your stats in a blink of an eye...but what happens with KOTET? Really, i have to grind and hope for the optimal pieces for an alternate pvp set?

is no one there from when they changed from that model because PEOPLE HATED IT?

Yep, we can make 50 characters on a server but the game is focusing more and more to discouraging making alts.

It's gonna be great.

Raid leader: we have a healer short and a dps too many. Can someone switch to a healer alt?

Raid members: erm we haven't been able to gear up our alts yet. Sorry.

Raid leader: ok, ops is cancelled, let's grind something to gear up our alts except in the content we wanted to do.

Sounds brilliant.

i totally agree, i think at this point, i see too much EA in this game....

Eric,

I don't know how these crates will work exactly but it sounds like RNG and I fear that it if you're unlucky you may take a while to get a complete set of gear together before being able to run HM ops for example. So you get left behind while other guildies who were more lucky are able to do HM content while I sit grinding whatever.

Can you say something about being able to reliably get a set of gear together that allows you to do HM content or will we get people shut out because they have bad luck?

This is basically what tore our 4 guild raid teams apart at launch and left us with 1 team. At launch, the drops were class specific and whatever your bosses rolled might have been worthless to much of the group if the few players suitable to the drop already had it. This led to resentment by the players that were getting nothing while other "lucky" players had little choice but to vendor trash the excess pieces that duplicated what they already had won previously (pre-legacy transfer systems).

I guess at least this system guarantees everyone that put in equal effort an individual roll. However, given the absurd rarity of current things like flashpoint decoration drops or anything on the high end of packs (be it DvL or otherwise), call me extremely skeptical of the chances for an actual BIS roll result even from the highest tiers/ranks until they clearly demonstrate otherwise.

Hey folks,

One of the things we talked a bit about on the stream is that there are gearing changes happening with Knights of the Eternal Throne. This thread is meant to give you a few more details on some of the things that will be happening in KOTET, along with being a place that I can address questions or concerns you have with these changes. First, here are the details on how gearing will work at level 70:

• Once you hit level 70, the source of end-game gear will be Command Crates from Galactic Command.
  • Most activities in the game will earn Command Experience Points (CXP), which will earn you Command Ranks. Each time your Command Rank increases, you earn a Command Crate.
  • The higher your Command Rank, the better gear that will drop from your Command Crates.
  • The highest difficulty Operations and Uprisings, along with Ranked Warzones are intended to be the fastest ways to earn CXP. This means they are the fastest way to get the best gear.
  • Both PvP and PvE gear will come from Command Crates. Their gear is now shared as Expertise is being removed (head to this thread to discuss PvP/PvE itemization specifically).
  • Gear will no longer drop from bosses as all gear will come from Command Crates. All cosmetic/unique drops will still remain on those bosses (Stronghold Decorations, Wings of the Architect, etc.).
  • Players will be able to craft comparable item level gear without set bonuses.

That should cover most of the basic changes coming to itemization in KOTET. I know this is a lot to take in, so please ask any questions you may have in this thread and I will work to answer what I can!

-eric

I'm not gonna flip out and rant and rave, but I have to say as a progression raider this is immensely disappointing. The Operation/Raiding scene has already been do demoralized over the last two years that so many people have left the game over it. You really can't keep spurning the hand that feeds you. No new Ops is bad enough, but now you wanna make it so people don't even need to do operations to get the best gear in the game at all?

The best gear in the game should come from the hardest content in the game.

This isn't about elitism, I'm not one of the progression raiders that think it should only come from NiM, but it should at very least come from HM operations. It makes it hard enough for many to make it challenging but not so hard that the more rank and file raiders have to resign to never getting the best gear.

There is plently of HM operation content that is still giving many raiders a challenge [Revan HM, Master/Blaster, etc].

I could begrudgingly except the Hightlight Operation dropping SOME of the best gear, my only objection was that EV and KP were too easy and should not have been included in the Highlighted Operations rotation, it's not on the same level as some of the other actual HM Operations, but, I could accept.

But this? I hate to say it, but, I think this might be the proverbial nail in the coffin. There is not gonna be one progression raider who is gonna be okay with this. It doesn't matter that doing Operations will be the fastest way to get the gear because raiders are doing Operations even when they can no longer get anything they need so they'd be doing it anyway.

A happy medium would be if the gear you get from doing non-operation content was the same exact stats as you'd get from raiding gear except it doesn't have a set bonus. People who aren't doing raiding don't need set bonus' anyways and it would give the raiders something they could still call their own and make them feel that the efforts put into progressive raiding still have some merit. - That's what raiding is about.

I'm not saying I'm gonna leave the game over it, at least not yet, but this is gonna hit the raiding community like a blind siding. It's just too much now. It's an extremely bad move and it's going to cause a tremendous uproar from raiders.

Other people will have opinions and that is right and proper and behove no one their right to reason, this is simply mine. This is going to turn out badly and I take no pleasure in saying that.

Good gear should be accessible to all players at all skill levels, but, the very best gear should only be obtainable in Operations [raids]. As so many have pointed out in the past, the top end gear is really only needed[ or useful] doing the hardest content. No one needs BIS gear at the highest rating for any story content, any FP or even any sm Operation. Keeping the top end gear dropping from the hardest content [or at least HM operations] doesn't hurt the player base that doesn't engage in HM/NIM Operations and it gives raiders something to work towards.

If you think that anyone is going to be doing raids now to get the best gear, that would be a foolish conclusion. By doing this, you are, in effect ensuring the raiding scene is going to become a ghost town, which is perhaps what you want because than no one will care about new raids. The raiding community was already small enough, this is the worst thing you could have done for that raiding community. I've never talked doom and gloom before despite not being happy about the lack of new Operations, but baring something or aspect of this I am unaware of or hasn't been released yet, as is, I'm pretty sure to the raiding community this is going to be the final straw. There were many in the raiding community that were unhappy with the highlight operations dropping the best gear from operations that were far too easy and were being ritually farmed by those players who did no other operations but EV/KP HM for the ease of those operations. This is even worse than that, a lot worse. Now people don't even need to do operations at all.

You asked for feedback, for myself I can only say, this is a terrible move and I think you're going to lose a lot of players over this, being that 95 percent of raiders are subscribers, I'm sure you can do the math.

Eric, I know it's not your call and I don't blame you. I very often feel a great deal of empathy for you because you are the lightning rod that's constantly getting hit by those who are disgruntled when it actuality your essentially just the mouth piece for "the power that be" . I do not envy your position. - With this announcement, If i were you, I'd take sick leave for the next two months heh.

Anyways, that's my for what it's worth.

if they implement a system where you can choose if the gear is tank/heal or dps; and also implement a way to ensure that you dont get the same item more than twice for a given tier of gear, this might work. it is possible that gear will change based on your spec, where the set bonus changes when you are in pvp or pve, or if you are in heal or dps spec. even better, loot drops from the crate can check you bag/equiped items to see what it should drop.

i would like to point out that random could mean out of the pieces you dont have etc., otherwise people will be qq'ing when they get 4 earpieces in a row for a dps only spec.

Edited by dipstik

Serious question here. Are you increasing the level of operations or are you down scaling players to level 65 and max stating the gear line that you get from the crates? What about PvP if your removing expertise from gear are you down scaling players with max level gear in war zones? I would definitely like to know this and asking on behalf of my current raid team as well.

• Yup, the drops will be random. The item type is determined by your Advanced Class and the item rating is determined by your Command Rank (higher rank = higher item rating). Keep in mind that you can always earn more Crates and that you can disintegrate any duplicate or unwanted items into CXP to get your next Crate faster.
  • Yes. All end-game gear (level 70+) can be earned by doing almost any activity. However, someone doing Nightmare (Master) level Operations, as an example, will get there substantially faster than someone doing easy/solo content.

Will gear still be in the form of unassembleds to be traded in, or will the "assembled" items drop from these crates?

If the latter, how will you deal with the fact advanced class specs have a really bad habit of getting gear with the wrong stats? Pretty much all the gear that drops for me that isn't unassembled is Tank gear, as a Shadow, when I play Infilitration (DPS).

~ Eudoxia

Not many but there will be some yes. But even if it's HM ops or FPs. There will be a gear requirement for that content but it it's RNG dependent now if you will be able to participate with your guildies or if they will have to wait for you to gear up.

Also it's bad for alts so it will be harder to switch roles when needed. That could be a bad thing for group content of that level.

Not only that...But I fear any new group content they add will be less important...unless they make the new group content really hard, why should we repeat it? On the plus side, we could be seeing a new diffcullity in new ops (master)

if they implement a system where you can choose if the gear is tank/heal or dps; and also implement a way to ensure that you dont get the same item more than twice for a given tier of gear, this might work. it is possible that gear will change based on your spec, where the set bonus changes when you are in pvp or pve, or if you are in heal or dps spec. even better, loot drops from the crate can check you bag/equiped items to see what it should drop.

sorry to say, but dont suggest anything at this point. we have a suggestion forum here and they never looked at it.

feel like these devs are only talking to new, or noob players.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.