Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

First things first, i said some of my attacks not all of them, there is a reason for that.

"I want this because of reasons."

Care to explain what those reasons might be? It doesn't really matter because of a point I will make later, but I'm curious.

Second, skill is about to know what to use and how to use in the right time not over clicking but hey, thats skill for me.

That is one element of the skill required to play an MMO, it is not the only element. Either way, binding 2 attacks to 1 key removes the part about knowing what to use because with this macro, the script does that part for you. The macro would essentially decide "he's attacking this target and I have the rage/proc to use Retaliation so now is a good time to use it." Without the player's direct input.

Currently its annoying to have to click on an ally use intercede guard him and then taunt his attacker.

Yeah, pressing buttons to do what you want to do in a video game sure is annoying...

If you feel you are in a disadvantage cuz you dont know how to script i can tell you that most games that allow macros usually have a post on their forums (stickied) with the most common and usefull macros.

I know how to script and could write an AutoHotkey script to do the things you want to do...were I so inclined.

However I am not so inclined, as I enjoy pressing the buttons for the skills I want to use, when I want to use them.

And now for the point I promised to make earlier:

2 of the 3 features you have requested are clear violations of the ToS set forth by EA/BW. Their policy on macros/scripts, whether they are software or hardware based is this: 1 button for 1 action.

1 button to use Vicious Slash (or whatever) followed by Retaliation would be 1 button for 2 actions.

1 button to guard your ally and taunt his attacker would be 1 button for 2 actions.

Mouseover macros are the third, and the only one I'd be ok with them adding.

Edited by matslarson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the problem. This isnt WoW. As much as people say they are not comparing it to WoW, they always seem to refer back to it a whole lot.

As for macros, lets all become less lazy. I understand it would improve gameplay, but I like the fact that the game can get as intense as a console game, much more challenging:)

Guess we should throw out action bars, unit frames, floating combat text, combat logging, vanity pets, mounts, character customization, levels, warzones, flashpoints, operations, guilds, parties, etc because they were all in WoW.

"This isn't WoW" isn't a valid argument for not including features. I'm not asking for omgwtfpwn macros, all I want is the ability to not have 3-4 full action bars on my screen.

Guess we should throw out action bars, unit frames, floating combat text, combat logging, vanity pets, mounts, character customization, levels, warzones, flashpoints, operations, guilds, parties, etc because they were all in WoW.

"This isn't WoW" isn't a valid argument for not including features. I'm not asking for omgwtfpwn macros, all I want is the ability to not have 3-4 full action bars on my screen.

If you don't want to see the abilities, just keybind the abilities and hide the bars.

"I want this because of reasons."

Care to explain what those reasons might be? It doesn't really matter because of a point I will make later, but I'm curious.

Assault and Sundering assault, mostly because i spam those in pve and i dont use them as much in pvp, if every attack would have retaliation i would loose burst in pvp. still my problem is that i spam 3 buttons all the time aside from my rotation and as i said i have way too many binds and i would like to take retaliation from the "spameable" position it is now.

That is one element of the skill required to play an MMO, it is not the only element. Either way, binding 2 attacks to 1 key removes the part about knowing what to use because with this macro, the script does that part for you. The macro would essentially decide "he's attacking this target and I have the rage/proc to use Retaliation so now is a good time to use it." Without the player's direct input.

First the macro would not decide to use it or not, the macro would tell the game to use it nothing more nothing less. If you play a tank you would know that its up all the time so you basically use it as soon as its off cooldown having it macroed would free me the slot.

Yeah, pressing buttons to do what you want to do in a video game sure is annoying....

It is when you are spaming them, if it would be up to me i rather much have a less spammy rotation.

I know how to script and could write an AutoHotkey script to do the things you want to do...were I so inclined.

However I am not so inclined, as I enjoy pressing the buttons for the skills I want to use, when I want to use them.

And now for the point I promised to make earlier:

2 of the 3 features you have requested are clear violations of the ToS set forth by EA/BW. Their policy on macros/scripts, whether they are software or hardware based is this: 1 button for 1 action.

1 button to use Vicious Slash (or whatever) followed by Retaliation would be 1 button for 2 actions.

1 button to guard your ally and taunt his attacker would be 1 button for 2 actions.

Mouseover macros are the third, and the only one I'd be ok with them adding.

Nice but thats in there so that ppl dont take advantage of 3rd party programs or keyboards with macroing capabilities ( wich i never used in a game ) I play by the rules that the game sets. Still i would like to have macros they do really make up for things that devs usually dont see, they even help to raise the skill cap because ppl start using things that they would normally wont use because its "too complicated" if you make things more accesible ppl will use them more. If you want examples you should see how many juggs use Intercede to actually help a player rather than simply moving themselfs, if you provide them with a intercede target of target or a intercede mouseover macro they will use it more.

Macros are there to help you respond more effectibly to what you see, skill on this games is based on reading information and reacting to it, if you think that clicking faster than someone or performing a sequense of commmands in a certain order than another person is skill you should go play dance dance revolution or a FPS.

Edit: the only things i want to macro in the likes of two abilities in one button are retaliation ( off gcd ) and taunt ( off gcd ) i am not in favor of skill sequences nor priority based macros.

Edited by beliglath

• 4 weeks later...
With out macros I feel all these Legacy emotes are completely useless, pointless and just plain inconvenient. I'm not gonna waste finger stride just to emote my class legacy. So all those emotes go unused and unappreciated... Until macros come into play atleast.

With out macros I feel all these Legacy emotes are completely useless, pointless and just plain inconvenient. I'm not gonna waste finger stride just to emote my class legacy. So all those emotes go unused and unappreciated... Until macros come into play atleast.

stop being such a PoS typist, using an emote should take a competent keyboard user under 1 second.

• 3 weeks later...

Unlike the last poster who clearly like to type a lot. I totally agree with you. The only reason i found this thread was that i have come back to the game after 4 months off and found i have a load of legacy stuff. So i look at the emotes and think ok i macro these in like i would of in Star wars galaxies and bamb no functionallity currently in game. It very sad to see so much effort put into the voice acting but so little effort put into the actual programming of the game. I completed all the end game instance when they first came out with out any addons or macros but realy Bio ware if you dont want macros in the game at least make the emotes an ability and give them a button to drag onto one of our many empty tool bars you have given us.

I started playing when it launched, i stopped a week later and went back to playing wow, why?

NO MACROS!

I'm pretty sure this is why so many other players have left the game. BIOWARE, don't go F2P, give the casual players (the good ol' 90% of us) what we want, MACROS and ADDONS, and give the hard-core kids the ones that actually want to make ADDONS & even have wiki's with copy & paste-able MACROS, for the rest of us who just wanna hop on and kill **** for an hour or 12.

I started playing when it launched, i stopped a week later and went back to playing wow, why?

NO MACROS!

I'm pretty sure this is why so many other players have left the game. BIOWARE, don't go F2P, give the casual players (the good ol' 90% of us) what we want, MACROS and ADDONS, and give the hard-core kids the ones that actually want to make ADDONS & even have wiki's with copy & paste-able MACROS, for the rest of us who just wanna hop on and kill **** for an hour or 12.

sorry I guess im one of the 10% of non casual (even thou I would consider myself casual) that dont think macro's and addons are more helpful than harmful. I see them as catering to the lazy generation, if you cant take the time to push the buton yourself when it's time then you are playing then I feel for you, and not sure why you are attracted to mmo's in the first place.

I remember macros back in swg. I would type /farm and goto sleep and come back in the morning with a full invetory of crafting stuff. Ya that was waaaaaaaaaaay fun. (sarcasim) I prefer the games that dont have macro's or addons because they actually require you to fully play the game instead of just type a command and have more than 1 thing done.

• 3 months later...

Well, I like the idea of macros for repetitive PVE tasks, like my rotation. But I'm still a bit fuzzy on what is allowed and what is not.

For instance, activation ques and cooldowns get in the way of running macros for sets of rotations, so does that mean, because you would have to enter pauses to wait out the activation ques the macros would be forbidden?

Any input would be appreciated.

Essentially what you want is this:

One button that does all the work for you.

Get some skill and you won't need macros. GG

Im with ^ ^ ^

Baring physical disabilities, anyone wanting macros is looking for an LOL iWin button. There is no 'NEED' for macros. Its also completely skill-less

Also, I see now this thread was a MASSSSSSIVE NECRO :eek:

Edited by SOULCASTER

• 4 months later...
Okay, this is the only mmo I play and the only one I'm interested in playing, so someone explain these "macros" to me. From what I've heard, I've gotten the feeling that this would mean that I could make a program that automatically fires followthrough after every snipe, ambush and series of shots on my sniper, so please tell me this is not the case. Because it sounds that this would just make it too easy.

Okay, this is the only mmo I play and the only one I'm interested in playing, so someone explain these "macros" to me. From what I've heard, I've gotten the feeling that this would mean that I could make a program that automatically fires followthrough after every snipe, ambush and series of shots on my sniper, so please tell me this is not the case. Because it sounds that this would just make it too easy.

More or less that is what it is. It's putting multiple abilities on one button.

I know this thread is ancient, but w/e

In simple terms, a macro is a command to perform an action or a series of actions that you write out, save, and bind to a key. In some games, like Rift, you can macro entire chains of abilities, called a cast sequence. For example, you can do somethingnlike:

/cast [target=focus] ability, pause=2, second ability etc... (I know this is a rough example)

Doing this would give you the ability to cast multiple abilities off of hitting a single keybind. Thus, the "iwin" button.

In wow, you can do this to an extent, but the developers made it so you can't chain everything to try to prevent iwin buttons. You can, however, cast or use multiple things that are off the global cooldown all at once.

What the original poster was requesting is not an iwin button. He was asking for targeting macros. You still would need to cast all your abilities like normal, but you macro target switching so you wouldn't have to hunt down the enemy in the playing field and click on it or tab till you find. Something like:

/target focus or /target focustarget (excuse my lines. It's been a long time :)

Edited by Kindralla