Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

First off, I am not an avid gamer, nor do I have the experience most of you have when it comes to the high-end PVP or raid button-smashing techniques. I also apologize if I lack the experience or the right to post in this thread due to that.

Additionally, I am quite confused by the "focus" specific references.

However, I will give my personal opinion and what I have issues with.

The lack of macro functions is both a blessing and a hindrance from what I see.

Cons:

- I play a casual healer, I am a 50 commando and being that I have significant difficulties targeting group members in both PVE and PVP settings, I cannot bring myself to do the 8+ man raids or PVP (I can keep a group with a main tank alive just fine in PVE, but scattered damage across a group of more than 4 is incredibly difficult for me). Mouse-over hotkey/macro functionality could be a nice implementation. A map indicator for target location would be nice here as well or a distance meter and arrow pointing in target direction.

- I also play a 33 guardian. I can only speculate the benefits of having a target macro for Guardian Leap later, but using skills like Guard mid-combat is quite difficult without the ability to target quickly or swap back to previous target, so mouse-over functionality would help me out.

Pros:

- I played SWG for a short time and I am very pleased to see the absence of the macro system they had... AFK players, I have a problem with.

- I dont like seeing macros that are 1-click and that does everything for you, this type of macroing is demoralizing to me and I am pleased that it doesnt appear to be in game.

Although my experiences with both macroing and high-end game mechanics is limited, I still feel that there is not enough in-game direction on the various uses of the current system in place.

Someone stated in an earlier post that we have target-of-target functionality and we have some other options that I have either, not seen, or am oblivious to. Only through the 1.2 patch videos have a seen a rough reference to this.

That being said, I also play a 42 sniper and with skill macros... I could make some rotations that would be almost like cheating to be honest and I do not like that idea.

There comes a point where macroing really doesn't matter in my opinion considering I have seen mice and keyboards that record and play key sequences. Trying to control automated game play seems to be becoming a thing of the past anyway.

I have a 5 button mouse with variable DPI control. I am a digital modeler and sculptor/animator and I will not invest another huge chunk of change into a 20 button mouse just to play on the same level as others. I pay to play this game for relief and to relax, not to compete and ultimately lose against "hardcore" players. I'd advise that those that are so bothered by the same instances that I am to avoid those game elements rather than complain about them, and enjoy the portions of the game that they do progress in.

Sorry if this is not quite what was implied by the original post, but I feel that either guidance or some type of additional targeting functionality could help alleviate a lot of frustration I experience in SWTOR.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of like gear? Progression shouldn't be allowed either, amirite?

OT: I'd really love mouse-over functionality.

I'd also love a non-awful UI, but at least they're working on that.

gear is part of progression for the game, macros are not progression they are to make difficult things simpler.

the people who complain about not having macros think that they should be just as good as the people who dont use them and still kick their ***. you want a non level playing field that u can show people and tell them how level it is.

if you cant keybind your abilities and use them intelligently you deserve to lose, you dont deserve to have the game start playing for you.

to the person who said that they have so many abilites that they cant pay attention to the action cuz they are always looking at their bars:

ITS NOT THE GAMES FAULT YOU CANT LEARN YOUR OWN KEYBINDS.

i have a multiple level 50 toons, being not stupid i set up their keybinds exactly the same and then put like abilities in the corresponding keybind. ie. i use the letter R for snare, irregardless of toon R is always snare so i dont have to hunt for my snare.

people who want macros need to use their brains a little more and their mouths (typing fingers) less.

this whole issue is a L2P one

There are things in this game that were purposely done that I am very happy with. Please keep in mind I am only talking about pvp as I could care less about pve. Targeting macros (focus too), and mouseovers are one of them. To make the statement do not use them if you don't like them is absurd. Of course I like them and of course I would use them. They make things a lot easier for me.

For instance, if I am healing I have a keybind for 'Target nearest friend (or enemy)' then I have a shift same keybind 'target next friend (enemy)'. This makes me really pay attention to what is happening on the battlefield and it can be really difficult to manage this and also pay attention to the enemies to use my nonhealing abilities. If I could simply click on a picture to right click, shift right click, etc to cast different spells it makes my life so much easier. I argue this actually takes away from the gaming experience. Now I am watching meters and pictures of health bars instead of the action on the battlefield.

Now I have to pay attention to the guy I am fighting and the 3 others doing stuff to interrupt. Sometimes it is impractical to manage this but that is a good thing. There was a great pvp game called shadowbane that allowed you to /target people. So you would be in vent and someone would say the first 3 letters of the targets name and all would type

/tar EMO for example. This is how targeting would work. It made it nice and easy to focus a target. Well in this game it actually takes time to focus in a heap of people. And I say this is a good thing. Make it more difficult. That is what keeps it fun. Please do not add these types of things into the game.

gear is part of progression for the game, macros are not progression they are to make difficult things simpler.

the people who complain about not having macros think that they should be just as good as the people who dont use them and still kick their ***. you want a non level playing field that u can show people and tell them how level it is.

if you cant keybind your abilities and use them intelligently you deserve to lose, you dont deserve to have the game start playing for you.

to the person who said that they have so many abilites that they cant pay attention to the action cuz they are always looking at their bars:

ITS NOT THE GAMES FAULT YOU CANT LEARN YOUR OWN KEYBINDS.

i have a multiple level 50 toons, being not stupid i set up their keybinds exactly the same and then put like abilities in the corresponding keybind. ie. i use the letter R for snare, irregardless of toon R is always snare so i dont have to hunt for my snare.

people who want macros need to use their brains a little more and their mouths (typing fingers) less.

this whole issue is a L2P one

exactly

Here's a condensed version/TL;DR for everyone unwilling to devote the time to read everything said above:

-The lack of Macro and Focus functionality/support within the game inhibits the play experience. Particularly for those coming from other games (WoW being the most prevalent) that are used to the increased effectiveness macro use facilitates.

-Macros and Focus are vital elements in a truly competitive PvP/PvE scene, the development of which can ONLY benefit the Game as a whole.

-Not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people I know personally within the game) is silly.

-Macro use, particularly in tandem with focus, is not "skill-less" but the converse. It adds complexity to the game.

-Discuss!

1) Yup, it's not like WoW, so people who love WoW won't like it.

2) Target macros make things less tedious, but I think "vital" may be too strong of word.

3) Macros do detract from the game by creating a higher barrier to entry.

4) I agree in this way: Game knowledge, coordination, awareness, and creativity should separate players, not their ability to overcome a cumbersome UI.

I have a bum finger on my left hand. I manage to be competitive w/o macros.

Just because you come from that other game that has made everything easymode doesn't mean it's "mandatory" "essential" or "gamebreaking" like many are complaining here.

L2P has never been more applicable than it is to this conversation...

I'm against it until it will be integrated in a fashion that allows ALL players to understand and take advantage of it. This will probably not be the case though which ultimately gives the group that is familiar with the concept or willing to learn it an advantage.

Having played wow for over 6 years and being glad season 3 and 5, all macros do is just make your life easier. They would destroy the feel of this game to be honest. And it's amazing that you are even using the fact that you need macros and comparing it arenas, when there are no arenas in this game anyways lol. As much as I liked macros in wow, they became needed for high level play because EVERYONE was using them which basically gave them an edge and if you didn't have them then you had no chance. Right now everyone is on a level playing field. You are either good at your class/game or you are not. What macros would you even need in this game anyway for Rated WZ's.

TL;DR

anyways long story short. people who complain about macros just want the game easier for them. but it doesnt really matter since bioware has stated they are coming. Just giving some feedback from someone who has actually used them for years.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey.

The macros are already used by many people in SWTOR, my friend has a Razer mouse, which can make Macros.

I tried playing with macros in SWTOR with his Razer mouse, but it just kill the fun of SWTOR.

If BW implements macro system in SWTOR, it would just kill the fun, you wouldn't need any skills, you just press 1 button and the game does everything for you.

I personally would just never played the PVP again, or even quit SWTOR, if they implement macro in SWTOR, cause everyone would just do the same thing.

You would just press the "x" button and the system does all the moves for you, it would be Macro+EQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Skills+EQ

(while > is how big would be the advantage).

In my opinion BW shouldn't implement Macro into SWTOR.

Having played wow for over 6 years and being glad season 3 and 5, all macros do is just make your life easier. They would destroy the feel of this game to be honest. And it's amazing that you are even using the fact that you need macros and comparing it arenas, when there are no arenas in this game anyways lol. As much as I liked macros in wow, they became needed for high level play because EVERYONE was using them which basically gave them an edge and if you didn't have them then you had no chance. Right now everyone is on a level playing field. You are either good at your class/game or you are not. What macros would you even need in this game anyway for Rated WZ's.

TL;DR

anyways long story short. people who complain about macros just want the game easier for them. but it doesnt really matter since bioware has stated they are coming. Just giving some feedback from someone who has actually used them for years.

What the hell, are you talking about?

"The people who complain about macros just want the game easier for them"!!!

It's other way around, the people who wants the macros wants the game easier for them because

they lack skills to play without them ( they became to much addicted to them) / or they are just lazy (mostly the 1st one)

You know, if BW going to make a macros, there will be 1/3 of SWTOR population would quit, cause it's theirs 1st MMO.

Believe me that will happen, if macro will be implemented. The most people on my server I know (I know almost all people on my server. Rep side, around 100 out of 160.), they didn't play the games like WoW or any other MMO before.

I personally too I didn't play WoW long, it totaly sucks for me.

I didn't liked it, I won't ever like it, it feels total grind for me.

THE MACRO WILL SUCK A BUNCH!!!

honestly i dont think macros is a good idea. at the moment even the most micro heavy class (re individual abilities) is completely manageable. Often better players stand apart with the ability to manage their skills better than others.

Macros would detract from this hugely. I pray bioware never introduce this

stop it!!! macros make everything easier. anyone that has half a brain knows this. the ones that say other wise are FULL OF _____!!!!

spoiled little WoW players not getting what they want!!! GO BACK TO WoW and your PANDAS!!!!

macros are also bad to have it alows trolls to spam general/trade. bots to spam selling items. telling you i hated that in WoW and glad i dont have to see that spam BS in this game. if you don't like not having macros then go paly WoW or something else.

macros cover your lack of skill

Edited by stinkybird

The macros would also suck, because in SWTOR you can't evade things.

I mean like for example, if someone would shoot a bullet in you, but then you move left to evade it, it still gets you.

The Macro would be drastic BOOST to Ranged DPS and the Healers, well macro already works in SWTOR with the Razor mouse.

I already expirienced it myself, when a ranged DPS use macro, he just click 1 button, and the computer do all the rest, doing his full rotation, so quick that the melee, wasn't even able to come closer to the ranged.

Also for healing, the Healer would be super boosted, and if healers is boosted, then the whole team is boosted, cause in PVP the battle is all about the speed you do your rotation. So the healer wouldn't need to pay attention to his healing, but he could just run away from the people who are attacking him, while the macro would heal him and his teammates.

That would just kill the PVP!

Aside from the Maurader/Sentinel perhaps with the many commands to choose from. If you need a macro to heal or DPS in this game, you really should consider learning how to breathe thru your nose.

• 1 month later...
ok i def need macros, im just years used to it, so i found a way not sure if anyone already posted this, but what i did is went to key bind for quick bar #2, and hit CTRL 1-9 , this way if like my main atk is in bar 1 spot 1, i can put like a stun at bar 2 spot 1 as CTRL+1, this is how im used to setting my macros n stuff on wow, i love CTRL as my 2nd set of atks in my 1-9, anyways im out peace

Has anyone pointed out that there is a focus modifier you can hold down to cast at your focus target?

Has anyone pointed out that "Cast on Mouseover" support is coming Soon as stated at the Guild Meeting IIRC.

ok i def need macros, im just years used to it, so i found a way not sure if anyone already posted this, but what i did is went to key bind for quick bar #2, and hit CTRL 1-9 , this way if like my main atk is in bar 1 spot 1, i can put like a stun at bar 2 spot 1 as CTRL+1, this is how im used to setting my macros n stuff on wow, i love CTRL as my 2nd set of atks in my 1-9, anyways im out peace

You can change keybindings under preferences.

Immediately upon logging into the game initially during early access, I set my keybinds, and then typed "/m" into the chatbox, intending to get a feel for macro function within the game. I was surprised, as were many of my friends, guild mates and others that I've spoken to, when nothing was forthcoming. I went straight to google, and my query was "SWTOR macro support?". My jaw literally dropped as, on the first link I followed, I read that there would be no macro support at launch.

The lack of macro support in tandem with focus functionality initially inhibited me, and many others I've spoken with, from playing as effectively as we feel that we are capable of, and by extension, decreased the amount of enjoyment we were able to derive from PvPing in this game.

Here's why: No one can deny, a large portion of SWTOR players are going to be coming either directly from WoW, or will at least be players with prior experience with that particularly behemoth. If you ask any competitive PvP player in WoW, focus and macro functionality are absolutely vital to maximize efficiency. In addition, many healers will find their ability to effectively heal a large group impacted by a lack of mouse-over macros, another staple of the competitive WoW PvP and PvE communities.

Before you point out "this is not WoW", we're all aware it isn't, obviously. But not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people I know personally within the game) is silly.

Many aspects of this game and the systems within it are derived indirectly from other MMOs, WoW included and probably the most prevalent due to it's size and popularity. Macros and focus are a staple within WoW particularly at end-game and proliferate even more at higher levels of competition, both within the PvP and PvE communities. I'm positive that competitive PvE and PvP scenes are something that Bioware wants to cultivate and foster within TOR - the development of these scenes would benefit the game hugely. It is within the best interests of the games success and the developers to attract as many players as possible and to facilitate truly competitive gameplay. I believe that Macro and Focus support are vital to the realization of this eventuality, and that is the bottom line imo.

There is nothing about macro and focus use that suggests "skill-less". Ask yourself, what is easier to manage? A single target, or multiple targets, each of which could be casting spells or performing abilities that you need to maintain awareness of at all times? The only people who dislike macros in this context either were unable to use them properly, or were unwilling to even try using them initially.

Bottom line, macros, particularly in a PvP scenario and particularly in concert with focus, should be supported and available to those who wish to utilize them.

Finally, please, please discuss this. Opinions from every perspective are valid, and I know there are players who both vehemently support and oppose the advent of macros within TOR.

If you agree that macros do belong in the game, why?

If you believe the implementation of macros would harm the game, why?

EDIT FOR BREVITY!

Here's a condensed version/TL;DR for everyone unwilling to devote the time to read everything said above:

-The lack of Macro and Focus functionality/support within the game inhibits the play experience. Particularly for those coming from other games (WoW being the most prevalent) that are used to the increased effectiveness macro use facilitates.

-Macros and Focus are vital elements in a truly competitive PvP/PvE scene, the development of which can ONLY benefit the Game as a whole.

-Not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people I know personally within the game) is silly.

-Macro use, particularly in tandem with focus, is not "skill-less" but the converse. It adds complexity to the game.

-Discuss!

IMPORTANT: I am NOT necessarily asking for support for completely customizable macros, but support for what I believe are two functions VITAL to competitive and satisfying gameplay:

-Focus Macro Support

and

-Mouseover Macro support

MACROS ARE NOT ADDONS. Here's the disparity, and it's a fundamental one. Addons are pieces of coding written by 3rd parties which alter the User interface, primarily. Macros are lines of text written WITHIN THE GAME, that do not alter the UI, change any frames, or give you information you wouldn't otherwise have access to. What I am asking for is NOT an IWIN single button spam for multiple abilities.

"Macros are a pretty broad term for certain convenience and advanced user functions at this time. Some of those features are present as possible key binds in the game, others are not.

We’re not opposed to macros, we don’t hate them, in fact we will probably add them, but probably not for launch."

-Georg Zoeller

WHAT I AM ACTUALLY ASKING FOR SUPPORT FOR:

Focus macro functionality to use with the focus frames that are already within the game. Such a macro would look like this:

/cast [target=focus] "abilityname"

Here's a mouseover macro -

/cast [target=mouseover] "abilityname"

Devilishly complicated, right?

Macros are useful for guild advertisements, sales via chat, and raid warnings. If you need anything beyond that from macros then Learn-To-Play.

i wouldnt mind macros for ingame chat + random generated emotes or something to spam after i just killed somebody or scored a goal but like the poster above, but this game is very very easy, if you need macros to pvp efficiently then you are struggling and should just go back to that other game.

Aside from the Maurader/Sentinel perhaps with the many commands to choose from. If you need a macro to heal or DPS in this game, you really should consider learning how to breathe thru your nose.

mahahahahahahah ahahahahhaha oohhhh ahahahahahah *crying*

ok seriously. that made me LOL at work. everyone looked at me strangely.

Trying to be constructive. Macros in wow were a joke. stance swapping just to play warrior. Mouse over macro's which were the OP's whole point(see his 2nd post) are rediculously foolish in a keybind ability game.

no macros please. one button to do multiple things = easy mode. the game is just fine the way it is concerning macros.

it isn't fine because mara/sents are ridiculously OP but that is another thread. i love it how they stand in the fire pit and never take any damage. WTG BW.