Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

Mouseover and focus macros are made for people who are too slow and never learned to target fast and accurately. That is mostly due to their inability to multitask and/or their horrible hand-eye coordination. Those two macros DO make the game easier, do not lie to yourself. That being said, due to the fact that a lot of people come from that other game I wouldn't mind too much if those two options were implemented, even though it would simplify an already simple system. In case they do not implement it I suggest working on your hand-eye coordination, multitasking, accurate and fast targeting, anticipating damage and prehealing.

Sigh...

Edit - Want an example? Especially in PVE macros only allow players to manipulate the fight more to their advantage, a player using macros to sway a fight in his advantage deserves the right to be able to do so. Its not a matter of not having the skill to do something, its a matter of having the skill to further perform in the game.

Edited by Xerks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mouseover and focus macros are made for people who are too slow and never learned to target fast and accurately. That is mostly due to their inability to multitask and/or their horrible hand-eye coordination. Those two macros DO make the game easier, do not lie to yourself. That being said, due to the fact that a lot of people come from that other game I wouldn't mind too much if those two options were implemented, even though it would simplify an already simple system. In case they do not implement it I suggest working on your hand-eye coordination, multitasking, accurate and fast targeting, anticipating damage and prehealing.

It is literally an impossibility to even begin to manage multiple targets effectively without focus functionality. Even more so, due to SWTOR's relatively small hit boxes, trying to watch a healer on the screen, while managing your current target, seeing the physical healing animation, targeting said healer who is casting a 1.5/2 second cast, using your interrupt, and then retargeting your primary target is not an issue of quick reflexes or reaction time. It is not even an impracticality, it is in many cases impossible.

Edited by _compton_

This is mostly because you used the words: wow2.

Thats not a reference. iIts an assumption.

Yes the OP made lots of comments about wow. But you somehow are under the impression that it macros make a huge difference. If you believe that beating someone who uses macros or beating someone that doesnt use them makes any difference. You are wrong.

He kept asking for it to be WoW and I said he was looking for WoW2 not SWTOR, makes perfect sense to me.

Macros make the game easier for you that is an undeniable fact, your second paragraph amounts to "U R WRONG!". Why should somebody with good co-ordination have to be on the level with someone who has a system that does it for them? they shouldn't.

In this game the UI is clunky so mouse over macros would be good and really help the poor healers.

A focus target is needed imo, this really helps co-oridante group attacks rather than trying to read name plates in pvp / pve all the time.

As the OP has stated many times, it is not about chain skill macros for a one button I WIN, I would not want these implemented. What it is about is making pvp / pve grouping more user friendly by helping with mouse over / focus target.

Great reply sir, lots of arguments. Go on tell me again how those macros don't make the game easier.

Your argument is despotic and only addresses one facet of the subject.

Macros do not make the game easier - they open new avenues and add complexity and depth.

There is nothing unreasonable in allowing a player to attain a modicum of effectiveness while facing multiple targets, particularly a damage dealer and a healer.

Edited by _compton_

Your argument is despotic and only addresses one facet of the subject.

Macros do not make the game easier - they open new avenues and add complexity and depth.

I was not replying to you, read the quote from my post. And saying it adds depth and complexity just shows how much in denial you are.

It is literally an impossibility to even begin to manage multiple targets effectively without focus functionality. Even more so, due to SWTOR's relatively small hit boxes, trying to watch a healer on the screen, while managing your current target, seeing the physical healing animation, targeting said healer who is casting a 1.5/2 second cast, using your interrupt, and then retargeting your primary target is not an issue of quick reflexes or reaction time. It is not even an impracticality, it is in many cases impossible.

No, do not state things YOU can not do as facts. It is not only possible, but not that hard to do either.

Edited by bobaTBS

As the OP has stated many times, it is not about chain skill macros for a one button I WIN, I would not want these implemented. What it is about is making pvp / pve grouping more user friendly by helping with mouse over / focus target.

You don't need macros for that. If the developers add mouse over healing then your problem is solved. Everything else can be solved by good co-ordination.

I was not replying to you, read the quote from my post.

No, do not state things YOU can not do as facts. It is not only possible, but not that hard to do either.

When you take into consideration server latency, the ability queue, ideal conditions, and IDEAL, PROVEN human reaction times, my statement is not conjecture or speculation.

It is still implausible for a player to manage more than a single opposing player effectively taking these variables into account.

As to your first response, I find that those in opposition to macro implementation are not responding to, or as there responses evince, taking into account many of the statements I've made. ("Dodging", if you will).

Merely the act of having to drop your current target, use an interrupt, and retarget your previous target will completely inhibit your ability to manage such a scenario in a reasonable manner.

I will, again, reiterate. I am advocating for two functions, primarily. Mouseover support (to increase the feasibility of healing a large group of players effectively while maintaing some enjoyment) and Focus macros (to allow a player to be effective against two players, particularly a damage dealer and a healer, even remotely possible).

Edited by _compton_

A focus target is needed imo, this really helps co-oridante group attacks rather than trying to read name plates in pvp / pve all the time.

No, no and no. Use Teamspeak to focus targets, not ingame macros. Would you prefer in UT or CS players to auto-focus as well?

What you macro people dont understand is that we dont want a dumbed down game where the edge is on "who got the more efficient macros" and even clumsy and unskilled teams can "lol killled!" a targets in seconds just because they set macro to attack whoever their leader choses.

There has been a lot of fuss regarding no auto attacks etc.

If macro's were added to the game then you could just create your own autoattack completely negating the reasoning and effort BW put into explain why there is no autoattack.

Now... programmable companions like dragon age?

yes please.

Sigh...

Edit - Want an example? Especially in PVE macros only allow players to manipulate the fight more to their advantage, a player using macros to sway a fight in his advantage deserves the right to be able to do so. Its not a matter of not having the skill to do something, its a matter of having the skill to further perform in the game.

How does this even make sense in your head? "macros only allow players to manipulate the fight more to their advantage" exactly, makes the fight easier. "a player using macros to sway a fight in his advantage deserves the right to be able to do so." ok for this I only have WAT?.

I don't need to dictate, there are no macros at the moment and that is perfect.

I don't need to tell you how to play either, you struggling without your macros against someone with a good set of keybinds doesn't effect me at all it just means more misery for you.

Like I said I'm not an elitist, I just rely on my own skill even if I lose.

And I am glad for you, you and many others don't use macros but there are many that would LOVE macros for many reasons, you also have to take in to consideration that some people are handicap, a good example is my long time guild friend plays with 1 arm because he has nerve damage to his left hand, in WoW macros helped him raid, I myself used macros to help free up action bars and it helped me a ton, sure there are many skilled players out there that use no macros, also if they are so skilled but don't support macros this only shows me that maybe they are a bit worried about losing there advantage to someone that uses macros?

If you feel that you are more skilled then someone that uses macros there shouldn't be any concern to then right? if anything a skilled players should encourage macros so they have more players on there skill level for competitive PvP & PvE action.

People need to stop being jerks and just mind there own dang business, after all allot of those so called non macro uses use programmable keyboards and mice with macros so they are just posing like they are skilled.

If you want no macros then BAN programmable keyboards & mice like the "Razer Nagas".

Yeah, except thats DIFFERENT avenues of complexity and depth. Its like removing driver skill from equation in races and outcome being dependent on on fine tuning of engine, the tires you use, planning of the refuelling, aerodinamics e.t.c It requires lots of work and is really compelex and interesting too - but it does little to do with actual "driving"

When you take into consideration server latency, the ability queue, ideal conditions, and IDEAL, PROVEN human reaction times, my statement is not conjecture or speculation.

It is still implausible for a player to manage more than a single opposing player effectively taking these variables into account.

As to your first response, I find that those in opposition to macro implementation are not responding to, or as there responses evince, taking into account many of the statements I've made. ("Dodging", if you will).

Merely the act of having to drop your current target, use an interrupt, and retarget your previous target will completely inhibit your ability to manage such a scenario in a reasonable manner.

Why should macros put you on the level of two players? you are not two players you are one player and therefore should be at a disadvantage.

Also don't talk about proven anything you are just talking rubbish, there are players out there who have the co-ordination to effectively deal with more than enemy by reaction alone, I'll admit it's not common but acting like it's an impossibility is ridiculous.

Yeah, except thats DIFFERENT avenues of complexity and depth. Its like removing driver skill from equation in races and outcome being dependent on on fine tuning of engine, the tires you use, planning of the refuelling, aerodinamics e.t.c It requires lots of work and is really compelex and interesting too - but it does little to do with actual "driving"

This is a valid point. It eventually boils down to this: Should a player be able to function against two opposing players, particularly a healer and a damage dealer, without the outcome being the single player dying with having made any impact at all?

Is catering to a large portion of the player base and adding a feature that will enhance gameplay, be available to everyone equally, and not detract anything benefit the game?

Should a team with one or two healers be victorious the vast majority of the time over a team without, assuming relatively equal skill levels?

First of all since you are so caught on interrupt, interrupt is instant, there is no queue. You interrupt instantly even if you are performing another action, the animation comes later. Taking that into consideration along with latency and reaction times it is really not that hard to target someone, interrupt, and retarget your original target.

PVE players/clickers hate macros. Who cares.

Swtor badly needs macros.

That's pretty funny bro cause the guy about a page back said the alternative to not using macros was clicking.

Make no mistake, people who play without macros are better than you.

Edited by Highfives

Your analogy insists that macros give the player a PASSIVE advantage, as would a faster car in a nascar race. Macros, in fact, give the player anything but a passive advantage, as they require player reaction and thought process (skill) to use correctly.

Edited by Xerks

PVE players/clickers hate macros. Who cares.

Swtor badly needs macros.

Quite the opposite. Unskilled lazy people crying they need macros to be on par with not phisically and mentally handicapped people.

Its like WoW crowd whining in AoC " why the hell should i click 5 buttons in combo to activate an attack? i should only be needing to click 1! when combo system was the greatest part of the game...

You know, i would like Starcraft 2 to have a build in full functional scripting language. It would make playing it so much easyer and of course, it would only raise the competitiveness bar!

Edited by Sireene
use of retarded - due to age of post, no action