Is this lack of communication normal?

DarthWoad

as far as im concerned, kotfe was a waste of resources. They focused entirely on single player story and we can see what affect that had on the game population. If they toook a different approach, maybe adding new raids or flashpoints, things could be different.

You could also bring up the point that in general people don''t like raiding or multiplayer content anymore looking at metrics (or maybe those people are bored with the current raids/content and don't play it as much because there hasn't been any additional content for multiplayer).

Biggest problem imo with KotFE or SWTOR in general this past year is that Bioware focused too much on one aspect. They should make sure they have enough resources to develop content for whole game, not just sp story.

Guild I was in did all kinds of stuff together for several years. Mostly ops but still pretty much everything. We had few progression groups, did pvp, events and all kinds of ingame stuff. When KotFE came and people saw there was nothing new other than episodic story, pretty much everyone quit. I used to play several hours at time, few days a week. Now I might log in once in a few weeks for maybe 5-10 minutes. There just isn't anything to do other than check GTN. Just saying this because this is the impact my gaming experience had because of this focus on sp story.

And as for the ops metrics, lots of old time raiders are just fed up on running same ops for years and if KotET just bumps level cap and brings those same ops to new level cap without bringing new operation, metrics will show even less participation in ops.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still disagree with your position and still have the same perception of you

You are happy with where the game is for you. Perhaps you've not played for that long yet, perhaps you progress through the game very slowly, but you've got no grounds for telling others they are entitled or demanding after paying and waiting for over 2 years. There is no apparent logic in your views other than "I'm fine, so the rest needs to shut up". Cause that's what you sound like to me.

Yes i have every ground to do so its my opinion.... Also if a day one person were to have the same opinion ...they would have every right and grounds to have that opinion as well

People who make statements like yours and think they are more important the longer they are here just appear more in a negative sense to me

but just to humor you ....I'm close to 900 days by now if not more which is close 2.5 years i'm legacy level 50 which i achieved without doing group content . basically you safely could say I done everything i want to do multiple times ....and now i starting over and doing it again.

literally i started a new knight just recently at level one ...not for the DLV ..just because i wanted to ....and I am doing all the planet story and class missions. Why because its fun :)

but its amusing how some people say ...you happy with this game ...you MUST be new or dont play alot because no one could be happy just doing the same stuff over again" - there are so many negative adjectives i could use to describe that outlook.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

Yes i have every ground to do so its my opinion.... Also if a day one person were to have the same opinion ...they would have every right and grounds to have that opinion as well

People who make statements like yours and think they are more important the longer they are here just appear more in a negative sense to me

but just to humor you ....I'm close to 900 days by now if not more which is close 2.5 years i'm legacy level 50 which i achieved without doing group content . basically you safely could say I done everything i want to do multiple times ....and now i starting over and doing it again.

literally i started a new knight just recently at level one ...not for the DLV ..just because i wanted to ....and I am doing all the planet story and class missions. Why because its fun :)

but its amusing how some people say ...you happy with this game ...you MUST be new or dont play alot because no one could be happy just doing the same stuff over again" - there are so many negative adjectives i could use to describe that outlook.

Obviously you have a minority opinion here, and you may love what Bioware is doing atm, but the majority don't like where it's headed and so a lot of people disargee with you. It obviously annoys some (understandably) when people say everythings fine and nothing needs changing, it annoys some when you tell them they're entitled and demanding, that's just a hostile thing to say to someone just because you don't agree with them.

These people are paying customers and they are allowed to demand (or suggest) things and be entitled to things. Tsillah is 100% correct about this.

This is an MMO you see, and people want MMO content.

Edited by DarthWoad

Obviously you have a minority opinion here, and you may love what Bioware is doing atm, but the majority don't like where it's headed and so a lot of people disargee with you. It obviously annoys some (understandably) when people say everythings fine and nothing needs changing.

wow...one good response then this.... **facepalm** I think you are the one that needs to open their eyes.

where exactly are you getting these statistics to base that statement on?

MMO does NOT mean must have raids pvp and other group activities ...again you can have a completely solo play game and it would still be a mmo

the Core of Swtor is a story based RPG MMO with optional group activities not a

"group oriented MMO" with some solo activities.

It is also a fact that raids pvp and other group activities are played by a "niche" group of players not the general population.

if you want actual stats even in 1.2 only 38% OF ALL LEVEL 50 players of the population had played in a op

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/

I would suspect that its even lower now I think bioware is showing great sense to renew their focus on story and solo game play ...basically that where the metric tell them the money is .

You can think i am the minority but again and this is just my opinion ...that is just you and everyone that believes that is in a sever case of self delusion,

This forum is no metric to what the general population wants .. I suspect the forum is populated by a miniscule fraction of the actual player base and most of them turn this place into a negative cese pool. So yes you may have the vocal minority on your side when it comes to the forum but in no way do i think your side is the majority.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

wow...one good response then this.... **facepalm** I think you are the one that needs to open their eyes.

Alrighty then.

where exactly are you getting these statistics to base that statement on?

The fact this is an MMO and players want MMO content. I'm pretty sure the majority of players in this MMO want MMO content.

the Core of Swtor is a story based RPG MMO not a

"group oriented mined MMO"

It is also a fact that raids pvp and other group activities are played by a "niche" group of players not the general population.

Yes, stlil an MMO. The "group" comes with the "MMO".

if you want actual stats even in 1.2 only 38% OF ALL LEVEL 50 players of the population had played in a op

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/

I would suspect that its even lower now I think bioware is showing great sense to renew their focus on story and solo game play ...basically that where the metric tell them the money is .

Statistics from 2012....awesome. Does that include alts as well? Was this before or after the game went free to play due to there being barely any end game multiplayer content? (because the players wanted end game multiplayer content, so they left the game and it went f2p)

And really? "great sense"? Worked out well for them didn't it with all these dead servers, dead/dying guilds, numerous threads asking for more group content, bug fixes, pvp content etc :rolleyes:

You can think i am the minority but again and this is just my opinion ...that is just you and everyone that believes self delusion,

I can safetly say that you are in the absolute minority. The majority of players want MMO group content. And we're getting down to insults now, really? Just because you're wrong doesn't mean you have to insult people.

This forum is no metric to what the general population wants .. I suspect the forum is populated by a miniscule fraction of the actual player base and most of them turn this place into a negative cese pool. So yes you may have the vocal minority on your side when it comes to the forum but in no way do i think your side is the majority.

I agree, the forum is only a minority.

But we can see that servers are dying and guilds are disbanding. Why? Because there isnt enough group content updates to keep them playing. Instead Bioware focuses on single player story content.

It's not the same as chapter 1-3. Back then you can level up doing your class mission SOLO whilst also doing group content on the sides, such as heroics and flashpoints. KOTFE introduced none of that. It was only SOLO content.

You can refuse to accept the truth. I'm not forcing you. Believe what you want. But try to open your mind and see other points of view.

Can you honestly sit there and tell me that the majority of players in this game want to see more and more solo content?

Edited by DarthWoad

It's a mutual feeling. Your condescending nature is clear and not against the law of course.

It is your opinion as mine is my opinion. Yet you feel that your opinion is better than mine but I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are, so forgive me if I don't fall for your double standard.

It's unwise to generalise. I may be negative about certain aspects but you either read poorly or purposefully twist my words to suit your delusion. I never said that I am more important because I've been here longer. What I was pointing out is that when you've played this game a lot over a longer period of time, the lack of new content is more of an issue than if you haven't. The rest is your invention.

I probably was legacy 50 before you started playing but that was not my point. You missed it by a mile and I explained it directly above. And you may have done things multiple times but I would wager a safe bet if I said I've probably done it many more times than you have.

I did that many times. I enjoy most of the classes and levelel 3-6 of each and all in current raid gear and augmented. You want to make this a contest about who could pee the furthest that's fine but I'll probably win and yet, that wasn't even my point. The point is simply that if you've played a long time and many hours then you may get a different perspective on the current content. A perspective that, with all respect, you have not achieved.

Well, funny that you write MUST in capitals, because I never said that. I was indicating however that chances where you had played a lot less than I have and that much has been clarified now at least.

But I made no such conclusions. I assume that there are people who played more hours than I have and repeated things even more than I have and still enjoy the game. But that doesn't help me, because I am bored with the game now and I think that I am not extreme to want more of the content I enjoy after waiting for 2 years.

So you see. It's all in your mind. I do not have the intentions or opinions you blame me for. Yes I am negative about certain things but that doesn't mean you get to just make up what I say. I have explained why your "conclusions" are wrong.

It's clear that you just want to be right and contentious because you cannot handle people being negative. Did you think that by trying to provoke me with condescension and false accusations that it would improve the tone here?

Very funny.

No, I am very well aware that there are people who played less and more than I have with different experiences. I also feel that BW could've communicated more and better than they have. And I think they could've handled a lot of things better. That remains my opinion, also because you have not said anything that would give me something worth considering on this topic.

So tell me, do you wish to continue discussing my critical attitude or did you want to go back on topic? For me, this is the last effort I will spend on you. As soon as people start making things up about what I supposedly said but clearly didn't, there is no point to continue. If you want to continue bickering, you may do that without me from now on.

But we can see that servers are dying and guilds are disbanding. Why? Because there isnt enough group content updates to keep them playing. Instead Bioware focuses on single player story content.

To be fair i doubt it has anything to do with "not enough group content" the servers are dying since launch, the game was overhyped like hell and failed to deliver thus the mass exodus it suffered in its first ~8 month's.

Should there be new group stuff for those who rely on such a thing to play together? Sure as frozen icecream there should be, but it is not really surprising that they focus on casual's who are by far the vast majority in any MMO out there......just like they focus on the cash shop.

Yes, stlil an MMO. The "group" comes with the "MMO".

Your factually wrong stopped reading. A mmo is nothing more than an a environment that multiple people can connect to and interact with in real time .

if you are of the mind that MMO =group activities at its core

Then we have a complete difference of opinion and There is no point in continuing this conversation if that is your view point .

I see you skipped over this part

MMO does NOT mean must have raids pvp and other group activities ...again you can have a completely solo play game and it would still be a mmo

the Core of Swtor is a story based RPG MMO with optional group activities not a

"group oriented MMO" with some solo activities.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

The plus side is that people can decide "when" they want to start world pvp

I see this as a plus, too.

Gankers often argued they attacked low-levels to make them cry and summon the cavalry.

Now, people can consciously decide to do OWPVP. People can even plan these "mini-events" with each other through people being on both sides or through the forum. It's a conscious decision now.

To be fair i doubt it has anything to do with "not enough group content" the servers are dying since launch, the game was overhyped like hell and failed to deliver thus the mass exodus it suffered in its first ~8 month's.

Should there be new group stuff for those who rely on such a thing to play together? Sure as frozen icecream there should be, but it is not really surprising that they focus on casual's who are by far the vast majority in any MMO out there......just like they focus on the cash shop.

Well it's all about the balance of things I guess. Any expansion in any game will cause players to leave and it will cause players to come back or start new. How many of each is the question.

There are a LOT fewer servers than there were at the start. No one can deny that the game has shrunk quite a bit. By itself not surprising because that's how things tend to go. Of course, I do have to wonder whether it's just the fickleness of players or if it also has to do with game developers not delivering.

I don't understand why games come out new with bare bones when it comes to the UI, guild options, etc. I've said it before but we still don't have credit storage for our legacy after 5 years. It just seems to me that if you want people to try another game you should give it a robust feeling in those areas, not the usual "we just launched but we can add more features later". People often come from other games, used to certain amenities. It never made much sense to me that new games often don't set the bar high enough. In the whole of the MMO genre I think SWTOR hasn't done too badly and it's hanging in there pretty decently.

I guess I just see that so many opportunities have been missed from the start and it does leave the game wanting in certain areas. I really hope they are going to surprise us with KotET, but I'm not holding my breath. October 7th is a week or two away. Then I'll know whether to leave this game behind or reignite my interest.

That question has been there since 4.0 was announced and people were like, hmmm, dunno about this. I was actually defending the point that the game really did need an overhaul and it did. But I was also expecting more content to come out before 5.0 and that's where my already extended patience gave out. I don't hate the game but I hate not knowing what BW are planning for over a year now and not having new content to liven things up.

I still do not believe that is unreasonable of me.

Yep, keep up the condescension in every single reply post. In game while you avoid people, I help. On forums you request for them to change an event so you can get the reward without doing group activities and a big portion of the game - so yes I'll stand by my opinion that you want the choice to only play solo.

It's basically the direct opposite of people wanting solo offline RPGs as MMORPGs.

Yes, they do / did exist.

Look, you seem a little... uh... lost, on the principles of game design which you pretend to know but never learned.

Everything you do, you do for a reason. Without incentive, a game dies, because the playerbase feels no reason to keep playing. League of Legends, Call of Duty, CS:GO, SWTOR... what do all these titles have in common?

They are not offline games. Funny that you speak of "game design", but you totally leave out everything offline.

First, this is not "proposal" I'm actually seriously worried that you think this is a marriage between players and SWTOR, talking about how players shouldn't feel pressured to choose a certain system to enjoy because of extra incentives, how they should make their choice of their own free will. This topic does not concern two lovers, as ridiculously comical as that notion is. This topic concerns consumers and the product they consume. The relationship, despite what you seem to think, is rather different.

Which is why Microsoft outright said that they won't support a certain offline copy protection in current and future OSses. Which means nothing but this : "We don't care about games. They are just one-hit wonders to throw away afterwards". The "XP Mode" in Win7 was originally designed for BUSINESS SOFTWARE - guess what ? THAT'S where the REAL money and REAL influence lies in ! Not some small "customers" !

If you want to refute proven research with broken English,

Try to refute proven research in broken Dutch, please. Or in any other "broken" language.

If it's the same for everyone, are you saying that everyone likes having things easy?

Bioware basically says so. And because of that, they changed so much.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

It's a mutual feeling. Your condescending nature is clear and not against the law of course.

It is your opinion as mine is my opinion. Yet you feel that your opinion is better than mine but I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are, so forgive me if I don't fall for your double standard.

It's unwise to generalise. I may be negative about certain aspects but you either read poorly or purposefully twist my words to suit your delusion. I never said that I am more important because I've been here longer. What I was pointing out is that when you've played this game a lot over a longer period of time, the lack of new content is more of an issue than if you haven't. The rest is your invention.

I probably was legacy 50 before you started playing but that was not my point. You missed it by a mile and I explained it directly above. And you may have done things multiple times but I would wager a safe bet if I said I've probably done it many more times than you have.

I did that many times. I enjoy most of the classes and levelel 3-6 of each and all in current raid gear and augmented. You want to make this a contest about who could pee the furthest that's fine but I'll probably win and yet, that wasn't even my point. The point is simply that if you've played a long time and many hours then you may get a different perspective on the current content. A perspective that, with all respect, you have not achieved.

Well, funny that you write MUST in capitals, because I never said that. I was indicating however that chances where you had played a lot less than I have and that much has been clarified now at least.

But I made no such conclusions. I assume that there are people who played more hours than I have and repeated things even more than I have and still enjoy the game. But that doesn't help me, because I am bored with the game now and I think that I am not extreme to want more of the content I enjoy after waiting for 2 years.

So you see. It's all in your mind. I do not have the intentions or opinions you blame me for. Yes I am negative about certain things but that doesn't mean you get to just make up what I say. I have explained why your "conclusions" are wrong.

It's clear that you just want to be right and contentious because you cannot handle people being negative. Did you think that by trying to provoke me with condescension and false accusations that it would improve the tone here?

Very funny.

No, I am very well aware that there are people who played less and more than I have with different experiences. I also feel that BW could've communicated more and better than they have. And I think they could've handled a lot of things better. That remains my opinion, also because you have not said anything that would give me something worth considering on this topic.

So tell me, do you wish to continue discussing my critical attitude or did you want to go back on topic? For me, this is the last effort I will spend on you. As soon as people start making things up about what I supposedly said but clearly didn't, there is no point to continue. If you want to continue bickering, you may do that without me from now on.

@Tsillah well honestly i feel you are in a situation of pot calling kettle ..... with that response ...i will again say neither of our opinion are worth more than the other just as a day one person can have any opinion they wish and still have "grounds " for it

I replied to the appearance of statements you made. I feel you have twisted my response in the same context you seem to think i twisted yours.

which is why i reply the way I did . I dont think we have anything further to discuss

Edited by _NovaBlast_

Your factually wrong stopped reading. A mmo is nothing more than an a environment that multiple people can connect to and interact with in real time .

Yes, which means multiplayer, which means grouping, which means interacting with people. I'm glad that you can agree with the fact that MMOs are mainly for multiplayer, grouping, and interacting with other people. ;)

if you are of the mind that MMO =group activities at its core

Then we have a complete difference of opinion and There is no point in continuing this conversation if that is your view point .

Are you saying that MMO's are single player at it's core? If not, then they are group activities at it's core.

Why are you so in denail about this? Honest question: Do you know what grouping, MMO and multiplayer mean?

A completley solo game isn't an MMO. It's a single player game. An MMO is a game primariily focused on group content, multiplayer content and interacting with other players. It's entirely your choice not to interact with any other players though to make your experience seem more "solo".

Edited by DarthWoad

These people are paying customers and they are allowed to demand (or suggest) things and be entitled to things. Tsillah is 100% correct about this.

This is imho typical Corporate Capitalistic U.S.thinking.

In other countries - at least this was so a few decades ago here in Germany, until it got "americanized", too - this materialistic thinking just wasn't there. The Kaufmann was a honest person, meant to please the people - this is highly exaggerated, but in its core, this was how the people felt. It was more about "making people happy" than about "people demanding things".

What people began to "demand" was a healthy nature. People began protesting about corporations letting their chemical plants flood the river Rhgine with any waste they had. ANY. According to documentaries, the river STANK. Fish was inedible.

Thanks to this DEMAND, fish from this river can now be eaten. The river(s) don't stink anymore.

What I tried to say (but probably failed) was that thre are very different cultures out there regarding business. The U.S. business culture is by far the most materialistic one I know of.

Are you saying that MMO's are single player at it's core? If not, then they are group activities at it's core.

Why are you so in denail about this? Honest question: Do you know what grouping, MMO and multiplayer mean?

A completley solo game isn't an MMO. It's a single player game. An MMO is a game primariily focused on group content, multiplayer content and interacting with other players. It's entirely your choice not to interact with any other players though to make your experience seem more "solo".

Why did I see people wanting ( not demanding :p ) offline solo RPGs getting turned into MMO games, then ?

wow your so blinded by your own self interest i'm sure that if i told you a fact like the sky is blue you would disagree and find some sort of explanation that it is red.

This is my last response to you these are not opinion this is an actual fact.

Yes, which means multiplayer, which means grouping, which means interacting with people. I'm glad that you can agree with the fact that MMOs are mainly for multiplayer, grouping, and interacting with other people. ;).

Your completely and utterly factually wrong again. raids pvp are only one option a mmo has its not the core.

When you log in are there others on the server with you ?

that qualifies as multiplayer even if you never talk to them

grouping -

this is not a requirement to be a mmo by literal definition but guild and other social meeting groups could be considered grouping

intraction

-does not mean raids and pvp "endgame" also does not mean raids and pvp.

- it could mean a role play guild that just sit in a bar and rp

- just talking to people in general chat

- buying and selling things in the market.

- helping someone with a quest

-grouping with others to explore / level

Endgame - could be leveling up all your alliance - reputation , other stuff - its not limited to raids and pvp

How much of swtor story based content can you do as a single player ....last i check you can go from chapter 1 of the class story though all the planets after that and then on to chapter 1- 16 of Kofe as a single player ...... seem to be enough to qualify as the "core " of the game to me

It depends on the MMO

Swtor / STO / WOW/ GW2 / TSW / etc all Single player RPG type mmo at their core

LOL DOTA cod etc - group mmo of the MOBA/FPS type at their core

the question is do you ...look up MMO Definition on google.

MMO is a type of environment - not a type of game there are lots of differnt types of "MMO" ( RPG FPS MOBA etc etc)

A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG or MMO) is an online game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously in the same instance (or world). MMOs usually feature a huge, persistent open world, although some games differ.

A completely solo game isn't an MMO. It's a single player game. An MMO is a game primarily focused on group content, multiplayer content and interacting with other players. It's entirely your choice not to interact with any other players though to make your experience seem more "solo"

Again you are completely factually wrong As long as multiple people can interact with the same environment at the same time it is classified as a mmo.

So yes if you take all ops fp wz out of swtor it is still a by definition a mmo

what i have present is not an opinion but actual fact based on the definition of MMO so yes ....i can safely say your definition of what a MMO is is completely wrong.

Raids /op /fp / pvp are all aspects of a MMO but they are not required to be a MMO classification

Edited by _NovaBlast_

Let me preface my question with the statement that I'm not trying to be hostile. I'm genuinely curious.

But what do you get out of an MMO that you wouldn't get out of a really good single player RPG?

I've been playing single player RPGs for years, and I really really enjoy them. But SWTOR is my first MMO. And I remember how awkward it was running around Tyhon watching these little myopic groups of Flesh Raiders doing nothing while their friends get murdered just 25m away. At first blush, my impression was "this is the worst AI I've ever seen"

Or the first time I had to "wait in line" for a quest object to spawn, because another player had taken it.

Or how the the worlds never ever change. Had SWTOR been a single player game, you could return to Tython after the SoR prelude and see the aftermath of the attack. But here? It's like you're jumping back and forth in time.

Etc.

That said, I'm personally happy to overlook those flaws. All those weird MMO tropes that get in the way of a good story. Simply because of what this game offers me personally, which is other people to enjoy it with.

So what is it that an MMO brings YOU if it isn't other people to play with? What do you get out of this game that wouldn't be improved in a single player offline RPG?

Edited by Khevar

Multiplayer does NOT mean grouping.

Anyone who thinks it does should suspend their subscription for a month and use the money to buy a dictionary.

All The Best

I don't think it helps to fling dictionaries around in this case. Sure, MMO doesn't per definition mean group content, but it's a game type that has always had a lot of group content. The intent surely was to bring thousands of people together on a server and give them things to do.

Now the definition may not be that it requires group content, but it certainly is the best format for group content and this has always been a part of MMOs.

So it is normal that people expect group content in an MMO. Whether the dictionary sets that as a requirement or not is not the point. People expect group content, because why else make it an MMO?

Now, that is an interesting question by itself and I do not mean it as a rethorical question. But why have persistant worlds where hardly anyone ever talks to each other and have guilds to do nothing with than just chat a bit? And then pay for that monthly?

You know, I do get the RP community in that. But then RP is a more creative way of doing group content. It makes actual sense to me.

Also doing things together with other players in general seemed to always be the main idea behind an MMO. You level through a story to do the RPG part of the game and then you have endgame, which means mostly grouping up to do things together.

Now, I am not saying that just because that mold was made once that it has to stay that way, but it does mean that it is the general expectation in an MMO.

Also, if you decide to break that mold and do something else...well then please actually do something else. A single story is not new in MMOs. That's part of pretty much every MMORPG as part of the total picture. I do not think KotFE is enough of a story to warrant pay 13 bucks a month for a year till 5.0

I mean why pay 150 bucks for something you can get for 40 bucks in a single player game and then you actually get a lot more to be honest. There has to be something more to the game than that, for such a price. I've said before that I can live without raids if that is their decision, but there has to be something instead of it I can do outside the story. As a long time player, I've pretty much run out of things to do by now. I haven't done everything but I've done everything I wanted to do and that's a lot of things, multiple times. After two years of nothing, for me it's time that BW answer the question: what do we get instead of raids and fp's?

A one size doesn't quite fit all story, doesn't answer that question.