Steam Overlay - Working on win7

renegadelink

Anyone with the game installed on Drive D get this to work?

I really think the code needs to be changed somehow but I don't know anything about it.

:jawa_frown:

I did have to change it a bit since I have it installed on the D: drive, but this was because it launched the wrong game. xD Turns out Need for Speed Hot Pursuit's main .exe is called 'launcher.exe' too, so I added the full patch to SWtOR's launcher.

So lines 6 through 8 look like this now:

'run the launcher
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute "D:\Games\Star Wars The Old Republic\launcher.exe", "", swtorHome

Also, if you don't save the .vbs file as what is stated in the OP, you need to change the name of the .tmp file that's created as well, as it would seem.

Thanks a heap for this OP, I missed having overlay.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does the Steam overlay do and why would I want it while playing SWTOR?

It's basically so you can chat with the people on your steam friends list while playing without having to minimize the game.

You can also browse the internet without having to minimize the game. Admittedly though, the steam browser isn't that great, but it works.

Edited by iResist

I get the console window pop up briefly then close again followed by nothing

double checking that I got this right

Target: "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "E:\Games\Star Wars-The Old Republic\steamswtor.vbs"

Start in: "C:\Windows\System32"

EDIT:

When saving the text file ensure that it's saving under 'all files' instead of as .txt so that the file will actually save as a .vbs file

Edited by SnJester

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/10/steam-hack-in-november-may-still-pose-a-threat.aspx

"Newell went on to say that there hasn't been any concrete evidence that this information is being used for nefarious reasons, but cautioned everyone to keep an eye on their bank accounts for suspicious activity."

Havent seen any update about this, has anyone?

Edited by MaliceX

• 2 weeks later...

Now my M570 button works with my push to talk button for mumble while I'm in TOR! Thank you for all the time you took to troubleshoot this issue and write the script. I simply used it to create a new shortcut and it works like a charm.

KUDOS!

it's working for me now - it started another program first, can't say why. I deinstalled the other program - now the script works for me.

But still I got a popup showing a problem:

http://www.abload.de/img/fehlerdck96.png

Script: C:\Star Wars - The Old Republic\steamswtor.vbsLine: 25Character: 3Error: File not found.Code: 800A0035Source: Runtime error in Microsoft VBScript

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So it opens the launcher for me and works fine, but once i get into the game i still cant open the steam overlay. I followed the instructions and all my settings seem to be correct. I don't get any errors or anything, the overlay just doesnt come up.

So it opens the launcher for me and works fine, but once i get into the game i still cant open the steam overlay. I followed the instructions and all my settings seem to be correct. I don't get any errors or anything, the overlay just doesnt come up.

Same here, everything works, but when in game and I press "shift+tab" to open the overlay nothing happens, but it does say Im playing old republic. Just can't get the in-game overlay to work. I do have 2 admin messages that pop up, one for the vbscript, and one for old republic, which I have to click yes to star wars, and no to the vbscript to work, I wonder if these are the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, to those of you who are having problems, I found the solution. Steam apparently does not remember the full path when initially setting it up. It only gets the first part of the path, to cscript.exe. As a result, once it has been added to your Library list, you need to right click on it, go to Properties, and set the Target to what he gave you. Once you do that, it will work.

And to the OP, a big THANK YOU is in order. This helps in so many ways, both in communicating with people I keep in touch with through Steam and in using its browser to keep information (like the companion gift guide) handy.

Edited by WardenWolf

• 3 weeks later...

Works perfect for me but.. when I launch it from Steam, it opens the launcher - pointlessly, as the game launches a few seconds later and right into the character login screen. Dunno if that's intentional but.. I couldn't see how that could be exploited >_> And I thought the security key was supposed to make us feel safe...

Well, guess it doesn't matter, still get to use the Steam Overlay. :D

How does it just log straight in though.. just opens SWTOR with the last login used?

• 3 weeks later...

Great got it working hope this helps other ppl

if you have downloaded the game via Orging the target should be something like "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\STAR WARS The Old Republic\steamswtor.vbs"

the Start In: is the same and all that should be in it is what is green next to this "C:\Windows\System32"

also i founed i had to set Steam to run as Admin you can do this by doing the following

- go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

- right click on Steam (there is 2 click on the one with capital S the other is just the icon file)

- click Properties

- click Compatibility

- tick the Privilege Level (Run this as an admin)

- click OK

- Close down Steam if it is running

- Launch Steam again

- a pop up box will appear saying something about running steam in Compatibility mode

- Click Cancel on the pop up box

now if steam loads up aromaticity when you tuen your PC on it will work. If you did the admin via a short cut and steam loads up when for example you turn your PC on it would not be set as admin and the steamswtor.vbs would not work

Hope this helps some one

all done

P.S. when you log in and lanuch the game you may get an Error Saying "windows cannot fined 'swtor.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

just leave it the game launches up

Edited by Genuine

UPDATE

' if nothing was passed in, we are starting from scratch, so start the launcher
If WScript.Arguments.length = 0 Then
swtorHome = WScript.ScriptFullName
swtorHome = Left(swtorHome, InStr(swtorHome, WScript.ScriptName)-1)

'run the launcher
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute "launcher.exe", "", swtorHome

' create the file that the elevated script will copy swtor's path and commandline to
set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set tempfolder = fso.GetSpecialFolder(2)
tempname = tempfolder & "\" & "swtorsteam.tmp"
set tempfile = fso.CreateTextFile(tempname)
tempfile.close()

'run this script but signal that it needs to elevate by giving it the tempfile name as an argument
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute "cscript.exe", Chr(34) & WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " " & tempname, "", "runas", 1

WScript.Echo "Waiting for other script to finish..."
' check every second if the temporary file has been updated with the commandline info
Do While True
	'check the filesize of the tempfile
	set tempfile = fso.GetFile(tempname)
	If tempfile.Size > 0 Then Exit Do
	WScript.Sleep 1000
Loop

swtorExecutablePath = swtorHome + "swtor\retailclient"
set tempfile = fso.OpenTextFile(tempname)
swtorCommandLine = tempfile.ReadLine
tempfile.close()

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute "swtor.exe", swtorCommandLine, swtorExecutablePath

fso.DeleteFile tempname
WScript.Quit
Else
' we are elevated now	
WScript.Echo "Waiting for launcher to start swtor..."

'Get Windows Manager object 
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")

' check every second for swtor.exe that was launched by swtor's launcher
While True

'Get info on processes named "swtor.exe"
	Set swtorInstanceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _ 
	("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name =""swtor.exe""")

for Each swtorInstance in swtorInstanceList
		cmdline = swtorInstance.CommandLine

'look for something only our swtor will have in it's commandline arguments
		If InStr(cmdline, "username") > 0 Then
			'we found the swtor.exe we care about
			swtorInstance.Terminate()

'remove the exe path and name from the cmdline
			position = InStr(1, cmdline, """ ") + 1
			cleanCmdLine = Right(cmdline, Len(cmdline) - position)

tempname = WScript.Arguments(0)
			set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
			set tempfile = fso.OpenTextFile(tempname, 2)
			tempfile.WriteLine(cleanCmdLine)
			tempfile.close()

WScript.Quit
		End If
	Next	

WScript.Sleep 1000
Wend
End If

Works perfectly in Windows 7 64-bit with or without compatability mode. {Edits}My only thoughts are, 'is there a way to run the scripting as minimized command windows?"{Edits}

I resized the script windows in the properties and docked them at the lower corner of windows. Same affect.

Edited by Inokis