Steam Overlay - Working on win7

renegadelink

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mods deleted my other thread.

But, I've done some more digging and found the reason the Steam Overlay isn't working. It's a very small bug that I'm trying to get either bioware or valve to fix.

Without going into the details, there is basically a string compare that is failing, which causes the steam overlay to not hook the swtor's client when it's launched.

Edited by renegadelink

Thank you SO much for this! I've been limiting my TOR playtime because without Steam working I have to be antisocial... it's easier just to play another game than to repeatedly explain to all of my friends why I'm going to be ignoring them now. This worked perfectly and now I can chat and play. :) Thank you again!

I don't understand the purpose of this thing.

Steam overlay allows us to chat with friends on other servers, playing different games, or just on their computer with Steam open. It's a communication tool.

Hitting F12 also allows me to take a screenshot and then I can upload it to my Steam profile for my friends to see.

I can also bring up the Steam browser to look something up, or click on a link sent to me via Steam's chat and have it open in its browser. Try typing a long URL given to you in the SWTOR chat, and you will want to use Steam's functions as well.

Lastly, having one location to bring up most of my games is a huge plus to me. I normally have Steam open, and being able to click in there to bring up the SWTOR launcher is nice. Cuts down on shortcuts, and wondering where the shortcut for a game is located in any given directory.

I using your VB workaround for over a month already. Works like a charm.

Guess the main thing is you need to launch a steam in administrator mode. This though bring a problem of needed to type an admin password every time I want to open any steam window (I use a user account for everyday usage).

So it seems anyone with the game installed on another drive (Typically D:\) are having serious problems, myself included. I have the .vbs in the same location as the launcher.

Target: "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "D:\Program Files\Star Wars - The Old Republic\steamswtor.vbs"

Start in: "C:\Windows\System32"

it launches a cmd prompt window for a split second and then it goes away.

Steam says I'm in game for a second or two and drops.

Any ideas?

Also My steam runs as admin for some other various reasons.

any help would be appreciated.

Could the .vbs you had us make be in need of some changing for a different directory other than the default C:\ one? :sul_confused:

For anyone having trouble with it, double check your game path to be "Star Wars-The Old Republic" and not "Star Wars - The Old Republic"

I just copied the path from the forum, because I was lazy and it took me jolly 5 minutes or so before I realized that there is no space between :p

Edited by Arcanz

For anyone having trouble with it, double check your game path to be "Star Wars-The Old Republic" and not "Star Wars - The Old Republic"

I just copied the path from the forum, because I was lazy and it took me jolly 5 minutes or so before I realized that there is no space between :p

the spaces are there in a default installation. the takeaway message from this though is to make sure you're using the correct path for you.

also, you need to run steam as admin. also, this should imo, be added to the required steps in the first post.

Edited by wonderburger