Remember that poll you had Bioware?

Holocron

That one where you ask what players wanted the most? Story won out, but what you should have told the players, is that you would only be developing that content at expense of everything else! All the players with rational thinking skills assumed you meant story would be the focus, but that you would still be developing all of the standard mmo content. Boy did you get your laugh, Bioware..

Since you all show the inability to truly understand your customers genuine concerns with the game, now I fear the new expansion will swing the "extremes" pendulum too far other way. Your track record has been nothing but horrible extremes with no middle ground. Extremes that get swept under the rug to boot, and especially when they aren't well recieved. Your customers just sort of scratch their heads wondering wth you were thinking.

Why can't we have story, ops, pvp, fp's, GSF, new content, mini games, and more, developed regularly like a real mmo? You need to strike a good developing balance between all aspects of the game for all the players types.

I understand that some design teams can't cross pollinate between projects, but you seriously need to revise your management and development teams so that this game can get back on track, and be better than just slightly profitable.

Edited by Holocron

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Story people are probably more likely to also partake in character customization and buy cartel packs. I suspect that bioware has discovered this and is trying to milk it's more lucrative demographic before the servers are sold to TERA. Just look at the posts in these forums now. People gasming over the story and talking about how they bought 400 packs for a mount. At this point, just enjoy the ride and if you want raid content Legion is dropping in under 2 weeks.

All the players with rational thinking skills assumed you meant story would be the focus, but that you would still be developing all of the standard mmo content.

That is what happened. In KotFE, the focus is story, and they also developed and released a FP, a WZ, an Arena and the new Brawler's Guild analog. In KotET the focus will likely be story and they are also developing and planning to release new PVE group content (maybe Ops and FPs, maybe something different).

Edited by DarthDymond

I would love for them to return to a traditional expansion. Everybody gets a little bit of something, and the most hardcore players have something to work towards for a few months.

I'd be fine if they continued the story block release expansions assuming in the initial release that they added at least 1 warzone map, 1 op, 1 flashpoint.

If that's not possible due to budget constraints, then alternating releases would probably draw up considerable hype, i.e., releasing wz/op/fp/planet expansion, while teasing upcoming kotfe-like story expansion later down the road. Then releasing that kotfe-like story expansion, while teasing the next traditional wz/op/fp/planet expansion, etc.

Going ~2 years at a time without even any mention of new warzone maps/operations is rough though.

Why can't we have story, ops, pvp, fp's, GSF, new content, mini games, and more, developed regularly like a real mmo? You need to strike a good developing balance between all aspects of the game for all the players types.

They just need a bigger team and a way bigger budget.

That is what happened. In KotFE, the focus is story, and they also developed and released a FP, a WZ, an Arena and the new Brawler's Guild analog. In KotET the focus will likely be story and they are also developing and planning to release new PVE group content (maybe Ops and FPs, maybe something different).

Yes, they did give us a new warzone (which I actually like quite a bit) and a new arena (which is universally despised as being terribly designed considering the camera system in this game).

But no, they did NOT give us a new FP. Star Fortresses have been soloable since day 1 on the group version. They are about the same difficulty as a heroic quest, if that. Just look at how narrow the hallways are and how low the ceiling is in that entire instance. It was not designed with the intention of groups of 4 being in there.

Also, the Brawler's Guild has 28 bosses which generally takes players weeks, if not months to clear. Many players just hit a wall and don't finish. Conversely, the Eternal Championship has 10 bosses that are horribly undertuned to the point where they are little more than elite mobs. Additionally, it takes LESS THAN 15 MINUTES to finish.

I'm not a big WoW fan, but consider this:

Swtor announces a new expansion...They say they are working on group content, but not what in any specifics. They don't say anything about raids, flashpoints, abilities, classes, levels, questing zones. There's no in-game trailer, no CGI trailer.

Meanwhile, Wow announces a new expansion. We get an in-game trailer, a CGI trailer, a web comic, and a book. They explain the new raids, new flashpoints, new abilities, new levels, new questing areas. They release a brand new class. They have a pre-launch patch, with an entire story-driven invasion happening all over the game world.

Now, they have another trailer for a post-expansion content patch containing yet another flashpoint with nine bosses in it.

When people talk on these forums about more group content, THIS is what they are talking about. Not an instanced mission that is soloable the second the expansion is released.

Just my 2 credits.

I'd be fine if they continued the story block release expansions assuming in the initial release that they added at least 1 warzone map, 1 op, 1 flashpoint.

If that's not possible due to budget constraints, then alternating releases would probably draw up considerable hype, i.e., releasing wz/op/fp/planet expansion, while teasing upcoming kotfe-like story expansion later down the road. Then releasing that kotfe-like story expansion, while teasing the next traditional wz/op/fp/planet expansion, etc.

Going ~2 years at a time without even any mention of new warzone maps/operations is rough though.

I don't think its a lack of budget, i think it is a lack of a work force to achieve these things. KOTFE can be completed at a casual pace in less than ten hours, and even significantly less time with no distractions and taking it head on. It's alarming that they just stretched that for 3/4 of a year with zero new ops or flashpoints for fillers, just the EC. A large portion of KOTFE is cut scenes and endless mobs of skytroopers. I understand MMO's have to be profitable but this is blatant maximizing profits with minimal effort. I don't mean to be a "the end is near" type guy, but the game is 5 years old, the engine is dated, Star Wars itself has changed ownership in this game's life, and the content rate of this game is low.

I feel outnumbered here by the number of players who are group oriented. I am not, I prefer solo play, although I do participate in the occasional group mission. That being said, I tend to agree with the majority of players in that I would like to see all aspects of the game developed, not just the story, although the story is the primary reason I play. It is foolish to focus only on one aspect. It alienates the players, and drives away those that want a bigger group setting. There should be options. And any new Flashpoints, or Ops missions should be tied drectly into the existing story, much like Oricon and Ilum. I love this game, it truly has become an addiction for me, and I would hate to see it go by the wayside due to a lack of fore site.

That one where you ask what players wanted the most? Story won out, but what you should have told the players, is that you would only be developing that content at expense of everything else! All the players with rational thinking skills assumed you meant story would be the focus, but that you would still be developing all of the standard mmo content. Boy did you get your laugh, Bioware..

Since you all show the inability to truly understand your customers genuine concerns with the game, now I fear the new expansion will swing the "extremes" pendulum too far other way. Your track record has been nothing but horrible extremes with no middle ground. Extremes that get swept under the rug to boot, and especially when they aren't well recieved. Your customers just sort of scratch their heads wondering wth you were thinking.

I understand that some design teams can't cross pollinate between projects, but you seriously need to revise your management and development teams so that this game can get back on track, and be better than just slightly profitable.

You can have all that, as soon as you send them the what, 80mil, too much? 70mil? to fund all the crap you are asking for.

The only thing I agree with you on here is BW really has no middle ground. On that I agree, So that's two of us.

OH BTW, your "Your customers" really means you! There's a thread somewhere about players talking for the whole of this games customers! Perfect example right here.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

You can have all that, as soon as you send them the what, 80mil, too much? 70mil? to fund all the crap you are asking for.

The only thing I agree with you on here is BW really has no middle ground. On that I agree, So that's two of us.

OH BTW, your "Your customers" really means you! There's a thread somewhere about players talking for the whole of this games customers! Perfect example right here.

Stop being dense. If we got a traditional, according-to-Hoyle expansion, Story players would have received Story, PVP'ers would have received PVP, GSF would have got GSF, Raiders would have got Raiding and so forth. Everybody wins there. Instead, what we got was a chopped up, semi-decent designed story because there is only like 10 people that ACTIVELY work on this game with a yearly budget of a Large Pizza and pitcher of beer at Pizza Hut. And it costs squat to pay the 1 guy re-coloring and re-skinning crap for the CM. THAT is why we are at this point in the game.

If BW would have expanded upon that poll with an option like "Focus on story to the exclusion of everything else" the poll results would have been dramatically different as evidenced by all the dead server/merger posts we've seen over the last 6 months or so, despite KOTFE's steady monthly release.

Sarcasm aside, Bioware makes as much, if not a lot more in revenue than it did at launch thanks to the CM. So to say that we need to throw more money at them is absurd. Basically EA is siphoning all of the liquidity out, and that is why we can't get any decent development done.

PS - Yes I can make general statements like us, we, them, customers etc. It is a figure of speech that is just snapshoting general sentiment of payers lately, and only a moron truly assumes that these types of inclusion terms really mean we are representing every customer. Also, if I'm so wrong, then this must be a AAA mmo leading the industry for success.

Edited by Holocron

Instead, what we got was a chopped up, semi-decent designed story because there is only like 10 people that ACTIVELY work on this game with a yearly budget of a Large Pizza and pitcher of beer at Pizza Hut.

1. It's your opinion that it's a semi-decent designed story, I think it's awesome.

2. Haven't you seen the end credits? There are many people working on the project and the budget must be quite high, because VA is very expensive in itself, and there are MANY dialogues in Kotfe.

Stop stating BS as facts, at least put a "in my opinion" there.

1. It's your opinion that it's a semi-decent designed story, I think it's awesome.

2. Haven't you seen the end credits? There are many people working on the project and the budget must be quite high, because VA is very expensive in itself, and there are MANY dialogues in Kotfe.

The entirety of the forums is "in my opinion", and it really surprises me that people would think otherwise. There shouldn't be a need state it. But on that same token it only takes a little bit of common sense to see this game's glaring issues. Only people lying to themselves would believe otherwise.

If they told me I could only have one part of the game updated, I would choose story every time. The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

I would, however, like to have story that is not exactly the same for all 8 classes. That's the biggest failure of KotFE. While I would prefer to have 8 different stories, I'd also be perfectly happy to have something half the size of KotFE, but which has different stories either by faction or by force/non-force users.

The poll I remember wasn't a BW poll, it was a player generated one (using tech on these boards that wasn't common knowledge). The winner was CLASS stories. BW's slimey answer to that was to say "everyone's the new Outlander class! New class stories are coming!" After some of the first announcements of KOTFE some people were wondering if the Outlander was a new Hero class (ala Death Knight). More world stories wasn't on the poll, no one asked for them.

The poll I remember wasn't a BW poll, it was a player generated one (using tech on these boards that wasn't common knowledge). The winner was CLASS stories. BW's slimey answer to that was to say "everyone's the new Outlander class! New class stories are coming!" After some of the first announcements of KOTFE some people were wondering if the Outlander was a new Hero class (ala Death Knight). More world stories wasn't on the poll, no one asked for them.

There was an official Bioware poll prior to kotfe, where the devs were asking what kind of content that players wanted most next. Story just edged out ops and pvp.

Stop stating BS as facts? ROFL Telling someone to stop stating BS as facts when you are stating BS as facts.

There are many people working on the project and the budget must be quite high, because VA is very expensive in itself, and there are MANY dialogues in Kotfe.

Dev have state before VA isn't expensive.

Stop stating BS as facts? ROFL Telling someone to stop stating BS as facts when you are stating BS as facts.

Dev have state before VA isn't expensive.

In fact the devs said VA is normally the cheapest expense in their designing.

There was an official Bioware poll prior to kotfe, where the devs were asking what kind of content that players wanted most next. Story just edged out ops and pvp.

I do not recall this either. Can you link it?

When I first read your post I thought you were being sarcastic about the poll, but it appears you are serious.

And the community made it abundantly clear they wanted class story content. Not the generic story they gave us.

Edited by rklontz

I do not recall this either. Can you link it?

When I first read your post I thought you were being sarcastic about the poll, but it appears you are serious.

I'm not sure the poll is still up but I'll see if I can find the link when I get home. Everyone was excited that they were eliciting feedback.

Edited by Holocron

I'm not sure the poll is still up but I'll see if I can find the link when I get home. Everyone was excited that they were eliciting feedback.

It was a post here on the forums? I definitely do not remember that.

Regardless, if it wasn't emailed to every account holder it would be meaningless and valueless.

But I am curious, and just did a quick dev tracker sift and don't see anything.