Stark -

Soulchilde

LoS while usable is something that gamers came up with to cheat the game mechanics. While it is viable and not against the rules this is truly not how the encounter was designed and or tested for I can assure you that.

You should be able to beat him with out LoS just have to know what your doing and your class and skills and make sure you are gear correctly.

LoS has been built into every MMO game since Ultima Online. Its not a cheat, its an actual mechanic of games dating back to the arcades in the early 80's.

Gamers didn't just come up with it, developers programmed it into games!

Don't dissuade people from actually playing the game the way its meant to be played. LoS is an important part of gaming and learning what it is and how and when to use it is just as important as learning the abilities your class is given.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoS has been built into every MMO game since Ultima Online. Its not a cheat, its an actual mechanic of games dating back to the arcades in the early 80's.

Gamers didn't just come up with it, developers programmed it into games!

Don't dissuade people from actually playing the game the way its meant to be played. LoS is an important part of gaming and learning what it is and how and when to use it is just as important as learning the abilities your class is given.

if they didn't want you to use los they would have put you into an empty room not one with lots of two columns....

if you are struggling with stark though you are going to have lots of fun with the final boss and his/her insta kill abilities....

The problem with the LoS argument is that if you use it properly then you can avoid every damage attack used by the boss (Stark)...that just can't be as intended. I think solo-able by good use of interrupts, and the LoS tactic is probably an exploit/bug that Bioware will eventually patch.

I did this at level 41, but I used Qyzen. I did try with Nadia first, but I couldn't keep her healed. Qyzen was quite geared and it was rather easy for me once I settled on him. I am a full Seer Sage.

That said, to one of the above posters, what a good idea to keep Nadia on passive until the boss was locked on you - much, much easier not to worry about healing the companion and then clicking back on the boss to interrupt. Wish I had tried that, as I would have liked to keep Nadia out for that fight. :cool:

The problem with the LoS argument is that if you use it properly then you can avoid every damage attack used by the boss (Stark)...that just can't be as intended. I think solo-able by good use of interrupts, and the LoS tactic is probably an exploit/bug that Bioware will eventually patch.

Yeh because no one ever ducked behind something in the movies to avoid damage. This is totally intended and iconic.

Wish I had thought of it though when I fought him, had to pull out Theran as a Shadow tank and just slog it out. Wanted Nadia out for it to make sense.

Long story short, you will never be able to avoid every attack he makes via LoS. Just like you can never interrupt every attack he makes. Go and try, its not possible.

Thinking you can actually avoid every attack he makes via LoS is impossible. You will never damage him because he chain casts. You will certainly eat a lot of damage even using both interrupts and LoS, he simply casts too often no to. Moreover you will always eat damage on his AoE and Project Storm, because he starts channelling these before you can LoS.

IF the fight is meant to be done with Nadia, then there is no possible way to win the fight with interrupts alone. There will always be a 10-15 second period where all of your interrupts are on cooldown and he can simply chain cast at you or heal himself. You either save your interrupts for Project Storm and his heal and eat everything else or you lose.

Or you summon Theran.

Did this at level 40. Took me 20 minutes, but i got him down relatively easy.

Im a shadow tank so i had an easier time taking his beating and i was deked out in max gear for my level (full level 40 pvp defense set, with some mods)

LoS is extremely important.

55555If this is the room: I...........

555555555555555555555.IX.........

555555555555555555 _ _ IOO.......

555555555555555555OOX OO........

555555555555555555.....OOO........

_______________________ Doorway

X is hide spot

O are boxes.

I pulled out my healer and as soon as he did the big cast i ran to 1 of the 2 Xs to avoid his massive ball of hurt.

When you hide at one of the X's he will walk around the corner making the other X your LoS spot again.

I kept him targetted all the time and use stun, interrupt and knockback only to interrupt his heals.

Kept dancing and using project to dmg him. I felt this fight was more about stopping him from healing and dodging dmg then pure dps.

PS theran helps alot. i always let his hyptonize stay at max lenght so my interrupts could get of cooldown :) This is probably helpfull as any dps spec.

But yea i can imagine this fight being a pain if you dont really know LoS. But for all the MMO beginners here. if he cant see you, he cant hit you with channeled casts optimize this!

For only melee bosses i just giggle and kite them with slow, hypnotize, stun and knock back :)

Edited by Mekkanon
5's are blank space

The consular story bosses are ridiculous compared to the Trooper ones. They're either designed for a very specific spec + companion combination, or theyre just way overtuned. I enjoy the challenge, but yeah, Stark was tough. I interrupted his benevolence with a force wave because my interrupt and stun were both on CD, and he just started casting it a second time.

I wish I had known I could ditch Nadia; she didn't seem to really dish out very much more damage than my "tank" companions, and she folded like a wet peice of paper.

I had to give up and switch Nadia for Tharan. I was lvl 42-Kinetics so I had spinning kick as an additional interrupt. I probably could have done it with Nadia, but my lag is entirely too high for this (800+). Can't wait to get back home to my sub 80ms connection!

I'm a pure dps shadow and this was the toughest boss fight I've had.

Nadia went down fast every time.

Qyzen is my regular, and I got close to winning using him....

Finally I tried Tharan (whom I never use) on the suggestions in this thread. And won!!

I was seriously impressed with Tharan's healing and interrupts.

it is rather silly that no one is trying to think outside the box. you can easily defeat Stark with lvl 40 even with no companion out regardless of spec.

when you enter the room, there is a big container to the right. go around and jump on top of it. pull Stark, play with LOS. show urself, he starts casting, use your ranged attacks to chunk off his hp, break LOS. rinse and repeat. interrupt heal. profit in case he heals when your interrupt is on cd, jump down, force wave/low slash/spnning kick, back on top of container.

i did annihilator droid where he was 5 lvls higher. took almost 20 mins of huggin pillar, but it is still doable

• 2 weeks later...
I had to give up and switch Nadia for Tharan. I was lvl 42-Kinetics so I had spinning kick (emphasis added) as an additional interrupt. I probably could have done it with Nadia, but my lag is entirely too high for this (800+). Can't wait to get back home to my sub 80ms connection!

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned this. It's not a "secret weapon" or anything. It's just one more attack you can use to interrupt -- that has only a 30 sec cooldown. It increases the frequency and tempo of interrupting attacks once you unlock it to where it does not require stealth. And its extremely useful in the rest of the game.

Is there anything more fun than kicking some gargantuan creature to the ground? No, I don't think so.

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned this. It's not a "secret weapon" or anything. It's just one more attack you can use to interrupt -- that has only a 30 sec cooldown. It increases the frequency and tempo of interrupting attacks once you unlock it to where it does not require stealth. And its extremely useful in the rest of the game.

Is there anything more fun than kicking some gargantuan creature to the ground? No, I don't think so.

Yes, kicking it again after it's down. I aint sayin nothin.....just sayin..

BW, this is utterly ridiculous.

It is a story line quest and therefore a blocking point in the story progression.

Yet it is almost impossible to complete it with the equipment given by the game.

Nadia is "underdressed" and the guy is seriously OP, even for characters at the recommended level.

Most people who have done it say to come back at a later level.

Come on... with all this blabbing about "providing the best customer experience" "heroic combat" and whatnot, and then you throw in such a big pile of s**t.

Yes players should learn how to LOS, yes it should be a challenge, and YES it should be a challenge CONSISTENT with the experience sofar.

This isn't. It's totally out of line regarding the previous experiences.

If you want to teach players how to LOS, then do it in a flashpoint or sideline mission, but NOT in a Main Story Arc Mission.

And for Christs sake, provide the tools for the job.

Am I one of the only few who had no problem with this fight?

I'm a shadow tank, I actually upgrade my gear, and I got to this fight at level 43 (don't skip side quests people).

You have an interrupt, a knock back that will interrupt, and a stun that will interrupt, if you're a tank you have a yank that will interrupt. I did it with Nadia, who I hadn't upgraded yet (but btw, you can before doing this fight!) no sweat.

Just use your rotations properly, use your cooldowns properly, use medpacs if you need them... this guy isn't tough. There is absolutely zero need to change him.

If you're struggling that bad, take someone to help you. Otherwise, enjoy the struggle and take pride in the fact that you overcame something you found difficult. That is the number one missing component in today's MMO's... pride in beating something difficult.

Edited by Vydar

Im almost quitting playing sage because of this boss.

Im 43 healer, and I just tried everything and seems like does not work.

My interrupt miss like 50%. LoS doesnt balance, cos he heals himself.

I tried like 30 times, changing companions and strategy. Screw this.

Below is the video I've thrown together that might be of some use to those of you having troubles with this boss! Like most people I'd primarily used Qyzen up to that point. Tharan was very undergeared, but I tried him and some other strats and he worked like a charm!

I also found this difficult but I did manage to complete it using Nadia and as a level 43 sage seer. Here is how I did it:

Put Nadia on passive, and I disabled her offensive stances (she would steal aggro before the end with them activated)

I used weaken mind on Stark to pull him out of the room to the door bulkhead on the left. I went back and forth between each side to LoS his casts casting weaken mind on him on each pass and healing myself as necessary. Nadia takes little damage during this phase and maybe one or two casts of rejuvanate will take care of her. I do this until he is all the way down to 60% (this takes maybe 5 minutes).

At below 60% he will start healing. I continues to switch sides of the bulk head watching for his heal casts and used force stun, mind snap, and force wave to interrupt him.

When he got to around 50% I had Nadia engage and I continued to kite him with weaken mind, heals, and interrupts. Nadia didn't steal aggro. He may get a heal off due to cool downs or lag, but he went from 50% down in about a minute.

The fight was quite difficult but I'm glad I managed to do it as a seer (27/7/0) and an un-upgraded Nadia. It took about a dozen tries or so but it's do-able. The nice thing about being a healer in this fight is there is no need to die. If Nadia goes down or some such you can always disengage, use force armor and rejuvenate as you run for the enterance resetting the fight. Saved me a huge repair bill in the end.

Good luck!

Did at 44 in full Inf spec (up to lvl gear, so he wasn't much of a challange :p) with Nadia, had no problems, interrupted allmost everything he cast, didn't even pop cooldowns, but i wonder how do you get to lvl 40 not knowing how healing spells on your targets look like?

Im almost quitting playing sage because of this boss.

Im 43 healer, and I just tried everything and seems like does not work.

My interrupt miss like 50%. LoS doesnt balance, cos he heals himself.

I tried like 30 times, changing companions and strategy. Screw this.

I did it with Nadia at 43 (I think) as a seer sage also. I didn't use LoS. The real breakthrough for me was not trying to slog through the battle and outheal. He heals faster than Nadia can DPS. So you have to put in a lot of damage yourself too.

Obviously start the fight with force bubbles on you and your companion, then initiate the attacks yourself. If you get a big white empire symbol below you, move off that spot. Since companions just stand there and get pummeled, you're probably better off with the aggro. Once his health gets low enough that he starts trying to heal (green icon), then you have to interrupt all of the heals. You can interrupt with force stun, mind snap, and even force wave. Hit him hard when you're not interrupting (e.g., use a medpac instead of taking the time to heal), and he should die fairly quickly. Although I didn't use it (it was on cooldown from my first attempt) the Heroic Moment skill would probably really help for the healing and extra interrupt.

Edited by MongooseEpsilon

This is the second story mission boss as a Balance Shadow I am having a real issue defeating. I've wasted over 20K is repair cost trying to beat this story guy. Suggestion.? I can't seem to figure out when he is going to self heal

Btw, Bioware story bosses should not be this difficult

Cause learning to interrupt a mob healing is hard? ya no, working as intended...

Some things you have to THINK and not just faceroll...

Below is the video I've thrown together that might be of some use to those of you having troubles with this boss! Like most people I'd primarily used Qyzen up to that point. Tharan was very undergeared, but I tried him and some other strats and he worked like a charm!

no wonder, weak dmg, clicker, no concept of whats going on...

ontop of under level...

Ya dont be this guy...

Edited by mordredz

Cause learning to interrupt a mob healing is hard? ya no, working as intended...

Some things you have to THINK and not just faceroll...

Yep, exactly.

I think I was level 42 when I did this. Maybe 43. Either way, I was *slightly* underlevel, but I'm not one to back down from a challenge.

Used my interrupts, and had no real problem taking him down with Nadia.

'Course, I use my 20min ability for boss fights + medpacs + adrenals. I don't hold back, especially when I don't have Theran out.

Balance Shadow spec btw, in combat technique.

For *any* boss mob, it's all about the interrupts. Simple as that.

Don't let them cast their big nukes.

And keep in mind your 20min ability resets your Force Stun. Use that wisely and you can easily have enough interrupts for the first minute or 2.

Yep, exactly.

I think I was level 42 when I did this. Maybe 43. Either way, I was *slightly* underlevel, but I'm not one to back down from a challenge.

Used my interrupts, and had no real problem taking him down with Nadia.

'Course, I use my 20min ability for boss fights + medpacs + adrenals. I don't hold back, especially when I don't have Theran out.

Balance Shadow spec btw, in combat technique.

For *any* boss mob, it's all about the interrupts. Simple as that.

Don't let them cast their big nukes.

And keep in mind your 20min ability resets your Force Stun. Use that wisely and you can easily have enough interrupts for the first minute or 2.

Yep, and so many ppl QQ cause they dont understand the concept of INTERRUPT...