Will SWTOR work on a new laptop?

KaoRocket

I'm really not an expert. On my old computer SWTOR should work but it doesn't :(. So I'm going to buy a new laptop: Lenovo Y700-15ISK (Windows 10, Intel Core i7 6700HQ 2,6 - 3,5 GHz, RAM 16 GB, HDD 1000 GB, SSD 128 GB, nVidia GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB + Intel HD Graphics 530, code: 80NV00P8PB). Is it good choice? Will SWTOR work?

I'm really not an expert. On my old computer SWTOR should work but it doesn't :(. So I'm going to buy a new laptop: Lenovo Y700-15ISK (Windows 10, Intel Core i7 6700HQ 2,6 - 3,5 GHz, RAM 16 GB, HDD 1000 GB, SSD 128 GB, nVidia GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB + Intel HD Graphics 530, code: 80NV00P8PB). Is it good choice? Will SWTOR work?

It should be ok. Remember, SWTOR is CPU super intensive so your lap top will heat up rapidly - but frankly it seems like a ton of cash when you could find something better on Ebuyer or Scan for the same money. I would shop around and NEVER buy anything from PC World/Currys

Im playing on a similar laptop for almost 2 years and its fine.

This is true. I too have played swtor on multiple laptops for the last few years and there have been no issues. Also make sure that you are using the performace battery settings, that way it won't throttle things down and relegate you to the Intel graphics chip.

I'm running it with almost max setings on Lenovo Y580. Win7, i5-3210, 8GB RAM, GeForce 660M

It runs smoothly.

The only game so far it hasn't manage is Witcher 3.

Since you have all specs better than my laptop -you should run SWTOR with no problems.

Thank you very much for your replies :). I have one more question. Do old games work on new computers? I really would like to play The Force Unleashed, KOTOR and Jedi Knight series, also I've found some cheap racing games (everything requires Steam) :rolleyes:.

Thank you very much for your replies :). I have one more question. Do old games work on new computers? I really would like to play The Force Unleashed, KOTOR and Jedi Knight series, also I've found some cheap racing games (everything requires Steam) :rolleyes:.

Most shoudl work fine, especially through Steam or GoG

That would run SWToR however you would want to run an airflow pad under your laptop to prevent overheating issues.

Edited by Soljin

That would run SWToR however you would want to run an airflow pad under your laptop to prevent overheating issues.

I'm pretty sure SWTOR contributed to my Lenovo Y-series dying of overheat. I'm now using an Alienware with a forced-air cooling pad underneath.

I'm pretty sure SWTOR contributed to my Lenovo Y-series dying of overheat. I'm now using an Alienware with a forced-air cooling pad underneath.

Maybe I'm biased since I've only used gaming laptops for swtor, but I've never had an overheating issue.

Maybe I'm biased since I've only used gaming laptops for swtor, but I've never had an overheating issue.

This particular model had a problem with CPU overheat in general; which didn't come to light until after I had bought mine. I can't PROVE that's what happened; but it's a likely story.

I got this Surface pro 3 on December 2015. The new expansion better not destroy it. Otherwise, it's been a huge waste of money. And I would pray that this game get condemned to death if this were the case. :jawa_mad:

I've played swtor on a windows 10 modded chromebook, and it has survived so far, so I would assume your pro 3 will be okay.

I got this Surface pro 3 on December 2015. The new expansion better not destroy it. Otherwise, it's been a huge waste of money. And I would pray that this game get condemned to death if this were the case. :jawa_mad:

I run it on a Surface Pro 4 - it does well enough; but the performance is pretty poor, even at lowest settings. Admittedly, that's because I'm running at full resolution for the game. It gets hot, but not unexpectedly so. The thinner machines might do better because there's less between the CPU/GPU and the open air. The SP4 is actively cooled, I don't know about the SP3

I run on a laptop rig almost exactly the same specs (mine is a Gigabyte P57 17") except I have a 970M. When I read up on laptop GPUs the 970M (and if you can afford it 980M) is a good bit better than the 960M.

For SWTOR I max it out and barely even kicks the fan on. Now when I play The Division, DAI, FO4, R6 Seige, or BF4 the fan is kickin'. Far Cry Primal, Assassins Creed IV Black Flag, Wolfenstein TNO, and TESO play well and only kick the fan on slightly more than SWTOR. I just got my Laptop a few months ago so that is all the graphically intensive games I have tried so far. I monitor the heat and no even remotely dangerous levels are reached. In the last couple of years gaming laptops have progressed a good bit and are much better at handling heat and such.

But I got a bit off track there. Even with the 960M you should run SWTOR not sweat probably on max.:rak_03:

Edited by Derfburger

My laptop is nearly 3 yrs old and SWTOR runs ok. Although my graphics is at it's max when there's a lot of bad guys attacking or those damn glass floors in gemini deception. :p I'm thinking about switching to the desktop. My computer gets warm but is in no danger of overheating. It does get super hot when playing the Sims though!

My husband has a new surface laptop and SWTOR runs perfectly fine on it.

@OP...

Your laptop should be more than CAPABLE to run SWTOR just fine. I recently upgraded to a new rig / tower myself, after rockin' this game on a sub-par lap-top over the last few years.

Anyhow, my Gateway lap-top was only 1.9 GHz, 6 GB RAM and the game-play was serviceable. I definitely needed to turn down the settings quite a bit, but she managed.

With your specs, the game should run much better.;)

Edited by lymphangioma