Weapon Tunings

Exactly. Unfortunately people have become accustomed to BW screwing them over with the arbiters saber that they're just rolling over on this. Couldn't imagine how people would have responded if they had made dye modules ultra rare at the beginning.

They did though, with the ones players really wanted. B/B, W/W, and B/W were ultra rare. They just released more options at once than they are with weapon tuning because there is obviously more work going into creating a tuning than a different colored dye.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up six hypercrates and got one Weapon Tuning (in the first crate, in fact), so the drop rate is indeed pretty low. I did finally get an Arbiter's Unstable Lightsabre though, so that was a nice surprise :)

I don't mind the low drop rate, rare things are good to have in a game, would have been nice for the tunings to be part of the collection system though, with them being as rare as they are. (Yes, I knew in advance they weren't, just would have been nice)

Oh well, hopefully can sell the pack fillers for enough to pick up another Tuning so I can at least dual wield them :)

They did though, with the ones players really wanted. B/B, W/W, and B/W were ultra rare. They just released more options at once than they are with weapon tuning because there is obviously more work going into creating a tuning than a different colored dye.

They made 3 dyes rare, but there was a plethora of other dyes available. And there was a separate dye pack available as well, that guaranteed you got a dye. This is a completely different situation with the tunings. They announce this new feature, and then make it so rare only the hardcore players and the extremely lucky will be able to have it. They want to make certain ones rare, fine. But they should have launched this with ones that weren't as well, just like they did with dyes.

This was my first thought as well. I'm sure if EA/BW wanted to devise the "Red-Light Brown Dye Module" comparable for a Tuning (perhaps a polka-dot effect?), such Tuning would have a more frequent drop rate. But all they have now is the Lightning Tuning, which I assume will be quite popular ... just like the super-rare dyes.

The biggest difference between the arbiters and the tunings is the way they were promoted. Arbiters were promoted as rare cartel items, the tunings were promoted as a new way to customzie your characters. If they were going to have an abysmally low drop rate, they should have promoted them as rare items instead of this cool new feature for people.

Nope, they never stated it was a rare cartel item. It was just a new item featured in the packs.

They promoted it just like this. Same thing.

In short, it's typical BW move. They hype it up, people have to have it, people buy it, not in it repeat...Some get mad, but they still buy it. Won't stop doing that because it's working for them.

Patience.

They have already stated that more tunings are coming, and from differing sources in game.

Just because the very first one comes as a super rare in a new pack is no reason to melt down about it.

Trust me.. just like Walker Mounts, and jetpacks.. these will start out super rare and expensive, and later on there will be many sources and much lower cost to acquire.

The more important thing in the long run is seeing many many modable weapons indeed have the tuning slot in them.

I completely agree that they will be more plentiful as time goes on.

But I see it sort of like the armor dyes. When those were introduced, they were easy to get. Everyone knew they were coming, the gear suddenly had an empty slot to fill, and there was no problem accessing this new feature.

Tunings are basically like dyes. They don't do anything except make a thing that already exists look a little cooler. Why make such a big deal about it and then make it so hard to get?

Maybe they'll sell a bunch of packs... but they will turn off a lot of people along the way. They need to introduce them into crafting or mob drops or better % in packs like next month.

Once again, the only cool thing in the new packs have an abysmal drop rate. Several guildies have bought hypercrates and didn't get a single one and one guy on fleet opened up 5 hypercrates and only got 1.

Bioware, if you're going to promote things like these weapons tunings, you have to actually make it so they're available to players, not people with 30+mil sitting to burn on cosmetic stuff. Please fix this.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm guessing they will have the weapon tunings in every pack so that over time the price will drop slowly with a stable supply with each new pack that comes out.

The OP is over the top and out of line. BioWare stated that weapon tuning will be available through a multitude of avenues over time. This is the very first item and it's only accessible via the CM. You were foolish to ever believe a brand new cosmetic item would ever be common or cheap. BioWare knows this will be popular and they will charge an arm and a leg to folks who want the new shiny now.

For the rest of us who have more patience or simply don't care, weapon tuning will become more numerous, abundant, and accessible in the future. It's the first day and people are already complaining... You are lucky you can even log into the game. Half of us can't. Be thankful.

Edited by Aowin

what's really ****** is the randomy of the pack himself, you have no garentie to have what you wish for.

if at least there was a numero amount of token you can exange for stuff of pack, like cartel certificate, but no, they were trashed and the only thing we get is more randomy and more ****** things.

getting worst and worst...

Edited by KaellSolaris

I hate to admit it, but it's true.

Several previous packs also have ultra-rare items that you aren't guaranteed to get even if you buy a hypercrate. It's a shame, because I imagine they would sell more hypercrates if spending $40+ would guarantee one of the super cool items.

They'd make even more money just allowing us to buy the individual items we wanted, rather than gambling for a chance to get nothing I want.

All The Best

WTS: 50 x Marshwood Vorantikus (or whatever it's called)

WTS: 2000 decorations

And 25 x 5 cargos of whatever I harvested until I stopped playing half a year ago.

Notion I had when I came back: Prices on GTN are mad. Funny how BW is working to keep it that way. Everything is priced ridiculously and casual players are forced to grind almost endlessly or to purchase stuff from CM to sell on GTN. Bloodsuckers everywhere. I might be the worst one but I am still not on BW level. :D

Could someone confirm if these bloody rare things can be added to collections or not? :rak_02:

Edited by Ruskaeth

WTS: 50 x Marshwood Vorantikus (or whatever it's called)

WTS: 2000 decorations

And 25 x 5 cargos of whatever I harvested until I stopped playing half a year ago.

Notion I had when I came back: Prices on GTN are mad. Funny how BW is working to keep it that way. Everything is priced ridiculously and casual players are forced to grind almost endlessly or to purchase stuff from CM to sell on GTN. Bloodsuckers everywhere. I might be the worst one but I am still not on BW level. :D

Could someone confirm if these bloody rare things can be added to collections or not? :rak_02:

Of course not. They function like dyes. If you want more than one, you'll need to get more. This is a cash cow and BioWare knows it. They wouldn't ruin that by putting this on collections.

just a money hungry greedy company at this point .. seriously .. way to take a great ip and run it directly into the ground

and that not only goes for these weapon tunings , it goes for every other bs aspect they said would be different before all these gambling boxes came around

They'd make even more money just allowing us to buy the individual items we wanted, rather than gambling for a chance to get nothing I want.
I sort of agree. :o

Direct purchase is certainly the method I prefer. As much as I enjoy a long weekend in Vegas, I'd rather not spin the Wheel-O-Random when buying dinner (I might end up getting eggplant! :eek:). When it comes to stuff, I like to know what I'm buying. That lack of certainty certainly has a chilling effect on my desire to purchase SWTOR packs. I tend to buy what I want off the GTN ... which means SWTOR has gotten someone to pay real cash money for said item. As an aside, for any boycott to work, we must all pledge, not only to stop buying packs, but also to stop buying items from packs on the GTN. Back on topic: Were SWTOR to offer direct purchase of CM items, I would definitely purchase more CM to spend on said items, as I have more real-world wealth than I do play-time wealth.

The question becomes whether SWTOR would profit to the same extent as with the status quo. Right now, someone buys a pack for the price of a pack and sells individual items on the GTN. If I only want one item from said Pack, I'm probably not willing to pay the price of a whole pack. The per-transaction revenue would, almost necessarily, drop. Which means SWTOR must churn more volume of individual item sales for CCs to make up that difference. So, how confident are we that players who do not buy packs and do not purchase pack items off the GTN would suddenly start making item purchases with CC under a new system? Because that is the segment of the player population that must pick up most of the slack.

Like I said ... I sort of agree with you. I'm just not entirely convinced that SWTOR would profit to the same extent as they do now. And I feel safe in assuming that, if a change to the status quo doesn't result in more ducats added to the pile upon which SWTOR reclines luxuriously like Smaug in his lair, then the change ain't likely to happen.

I sort of agree. :o

Direct purchase is certainly the method I prefer. As much as I enjoy a long weekend in Vegas, I'd rather not spin the Wheel-O-Random when buying dinner (I might end up getting eggplant! :eek:). When it comes to stuff, I like to know what I'm buying. That lack of certainty certainly has a chilling effect on my desire to purchase SWTOR packs. I tend to buy what I want off the GTN ... which means SWTOR has gotten someone to pay real cash money for said item. As an aside, for any boycott to work, we must all pledge, not only to stop buying packs, but also to stop buying items from packs on the GTN. Back on topic: Were SWTOR to offer direct purchase of CM items, I would definitely purchase more CM to spend on said items, as I have more real-world wealth than I do play-time wealth.

The question becomes whether SWTOR would profit to the same extent as with the status quo. Right now, someone buys a pack for the price of a pack and sells individual items on the GTN. If I only want one item from said Pack, I'm probably not willing to pay the price of a whole pack. The per-transaction revenue would, almost necessarily, drop. Which means SWTOR must churn more volume of individual item sales for CCs to make up that difference. So, how confident are we that players who do not buy packs and do not purchase pack items off the GTN would suddenly start making item purchases with CC under a new system? Because that is the segment of the player population that must pick up most of the slack.

Like I said ... I sort of agree with you. I'm just not entirely convinced that SWTOR would profit to the same extent as they do now. And I feel safe in assuming that, if a change to the status quo doesn't result in more ducats added to the pile upon which SWTOR reclines luxuriously like Smaug in his lair, then the change ain't likely to happen.

I have to assume they did a financial analysis to determine the best course of action with these. The number of hypercrates they sell while people try and obtain the items is most likely higher than the amount of purchases they would have direct from the cartel market. At least for now. In the future, when they are available through other methods, they can bring in the audience they missed who don't have 30 million credits and don't want to gamble on packs.

Once again, the only cool thing in the new packs have an abysmal drop rate. Several guildies have bought hypercrates and didn't get a single one and one guy on fleet opened up 5 hypercrates and only got 1.

Bioware, if you're going to promote things like these weapons tunings, you have to actually make it so they're available to players, not people with 30+mil sitting to burn on cosmetic stuff. Please fix this.

Same thing for me and another person on JC fleet: 1 weapon tuning in 5 hypercrates. Oh well, guess I'm adding it to my Ziost Guardian Lightsaber, because you can never have enough lightning :)

Any idea why GREE and Kingpin legacy weapons dont have tuning while Rakghoul, Bounty and even Odesen legacy weapons do? I cant find any common sense in that.

I really would like to know how you select which weapon should have tunning and which not.

Edited by ShawDou

They kicked off their "may the 4th be with you" with a cool new item, and the drop rate is beyond stupid. just as bad or worst than those light sabers.

Direct purchase would be a smart way to go at least for a week or something to make up for the lack of drops for this "holiday" they so ruined in so many different ways other than just the terrible drop rate...

I agree. In part.

I actually have no problem with a low drop rate on the item. However, they went and promoted it as some great new feature. Anything like that should be widely accessible.

If the drop rate is going to be low, just casually mention this new thing in the patch notes.

Of course BW does seem to be terrible at knowing what and how to promote with this game.

if it was something you could unlock in your collections, maybe. a 1 use item? not a chance. this was a waste of development resources if it is supposed to be that rare. at least with the arbiters sabers you could unlock it.