Is it time for new species?

Tune

Yes, yet another "new species" post. But looks like we not getting enough of those, since we getting no word from Devs about it.

Many of the things we see in-game, only get there because the community spams the forums asking for it, so i say, make more posts, plz.

Togruta been in-game for a while now, almost one year, no? More then enough time to announce the next. New species can be a good motivation for players to start a new char, that will increase the player playing time, plus the cartel coins they cost, makes it more then justified investment.

And so, here is my vote, and will make it only my top 5.

Rodian.

Devaronian.

Nautolan.

Weequay.

Chagrian.

All these are very common in SW and SWTOR in particular, plus i believe they are all very popular also.

Whats your top 5?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not when a couple of the existing species have very few customization options. I'd rather they gave more customization options for the existing species before rolling out new ones on the CM.

If they did roll out new species however, my vote would be for Nautolans and Devaronians. Both are fairly iconic Star Wars species, with the Nautolans being well suited for force users and Devaronians for non force users.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

There were, I think, 2 years between Cathar and Togruta. Cathar didn't sell very well on the CM, based on responses at the Cantina events. I don't know if Togruta sold any better, but I seem to see a lot more of them (could be because they can't hide the head slot though).

Bioware gets a lot of flak for not listening to their players, but one thing they seem to really pay attention to is cartel market feedback (mostly sales, then to a lesser degree forum and cantina feedback). If people bought Togruta in large numbers, we'll see more in time. If they didn't, well that's 0 for 2 for Cartel species. Can't really expect them to do more.

The issue with new species is that most of the ones that are left don't have existing models for both sexes though. Nautolans have both and thus would be a good choice. We don't have female Devaronians, Mon Cal, Trandoshans or Chagrians. That means more work for something that is apparently right on the cusp of being a profitable investment.

There were, I think, 2 years between Cathar and Togruta. Cathar didn't sell very well on the CM, based on responses at the Cantina events. I don't know if Togruta sold any better, but I seem to see a lot more of them (could be because they can't hide the head slot though).

Bioware gets a lot of flak for not listening to their players, but one thing they seem to really pay attention to is cartel market feedback (mostly sales, then to a lesser degree forum and cantina feedback). If people bought Togruta in large numbers, we'll see more in time. If they didn't, well that's 0 for 2 for Cartel species. Can't really expect them to do more.

The issue with new species is that most of the ones that are left don't have existing models for both sexes though.

I think Tortuga sold well I see a lot of them around. Lets just do the maths. If they sell 50,000 of them for $5 each that is $250,000. Now considering the bodies already exist and the heads already existed all they had to do was make the customisation options. Do we really think this would take three programmers an entire year to do? Or more like a very easy job that took probably a month. Therefore I assume it was a massive profit. The people doing this don't even need to know how the game is coded to do this. It seems like an obvious win-win to me.

As for races Rodians! There are already male and female bodies. There is a canon Rodian Jedi Bolla Ropal from the Clone Wars TV series. My favourite race, make it so!

I think Tortuga sold well I see a lot of them around. Lets just do the maths. If they sell 50,000 of them for $5 each that is $250,000. Now considering the bodies already exist and the heads already existed all they had to do was make the customisation options. Do we really think this would take three programmers an entire year to do? Or more like a very easy job that took probably a month. Therefore I assume it was a massive profit. The people doing this don't even need to know how the game is coded to do this. It seems like an obvious win-win to me.

As for races Rodians! There are already male and female bodies. There is a canon Rodian Jedi Bolla Ropal from the Clone Wars TV series. My favourite race, make it so!

Hard to say how long or how much effort it takes to make a new race. Sure the art department might get it done in a month, but they kept pushing Togruta back. What was it, like 8 months? If the profit margins are high though, it might be worth it. Let's hope enough people bought Togruta for that to be the case.

Rodians have the body type so that's a *huge* benefit. Problem is that unlike every other species, their face wouldn't react the same way to emotes. Note that Cathar and Togruta have human eyes, mouths and brows to perform all the facial expressions. Rodians have different eyes, and snouts. Is it an insurmountable problem? Nah, they could do it. Would it be harder? Yes. Sure would be fun though!

Way too many assumptions there.

I can tell your career choice is not in the game industry. Sure, it seems simple but is far more complicated than that. Lets assume, the character design team has absolutely nothing on their plate(unlikely as they are probably already working on things at least 3-6 months down the line), first you have to wait for someone to approve the idea, then the art department comes up with a ridiculous amount of designs, then you wait for the designs to get approval, then you can begin.

But Rodians are already in the game, you say? Sure, generic ones. If you want them as player species, you have to create multiple different facial and species aspects to make them semi unique. Can they use standard complexions/coloring etc from other species? Absolutely, it will save time and money. But you still need designs unique to the species. Hell, Cathar probably took so long due to hair/fur being one of the most difficult things to put into a game.(seriously, it is).

All of this takes time and even though it sounds simple to those with careers outside of the game industry, we're talking months if not longer.

I think the level 60 tokens came not so long after togruta. I bought togruta, but didn't really create one until I was given such a token.

But yeah, a real new Species (not Recolored Species) would be great.

Well, there are many ways to make a "Recolored Species" interesting: tattoos, piercings, hair cuts... I wouldn't close that door so soon. Many of the "original species" are recolored from humans and they work fine.

When I started playing this game in September I was surprised with the lack of zeltrons. They were present in the original KOTORs, but there is not a single one in TOR.

Zeltrons would be much easier than nautolans or kel dor. Don't get me wrong, those would be great, too. But I'm rooting for my pink aliens :cool:

We all can understand, that a new playable species may not be something done in one week, but is only fair to assume that it is not the most complicated thing to do.

Most the species the players ask, are already in-game, so half the work is already done.

Others, like the Devaronian, we dont have female version in-game, or less human faces like Rodian and Nautolan, would require some work with the emotes.

In the case of the Kel Dor, i know many have it as favourite, but i doubt they will give us a specie that always have a mask, at least not as long there are so many others to chose from.

But, when it comes to know if the work on a new specie is worth for the company, we can not only look at the hours spent, and the cartel sales, we should also remember that it can increase the play time of many players, with the creation of new chars. Some people may even become sub if you get them their favourite specie.

My self, my plan was to have (one day) one char of each class (and i mean ADV), and different species, from both factions. That would be a total of 16 chars. Still missing 3 to create, but i got some repeated species, so i would buy pretty much any specie that they put in-game.

Look, the new race would use the voice files that already exist. Much as I'd like a Nautolan, I can't wrap my head around one sounding like the Trooper voice file.

For me, it's the Devaronian. I'd buy the token and start a Devaronian Smuggler in a heartbeat! I can see that toon with that voice file easily...

Look, the new race would use the voice files that already exist. Much as I'd like a Nautolan, I can't wrap my head around one sounding like the Trooper voice file.

For me, it's the Devaronian. I'd buy the token and start a Devaronian Smuggler in a heartbeat! I can see that toon with that voice file easily...

Well, anyone who creates a Natolan trooper does it at their own peril anyway. Same goes for Imperial agent for the exact same reason: They usually carry a long weapon at their back which will clip with the head tails. It's no different with the Twi'lek, it's really painful to look at.

For the Jedi / Sith classes that's only a problem for the first few levels, until you get a lightsaber. That said, if you go into the typical armor for the classes there are more problems. Sith Inquisitor (too high collars, even though Twi'lek is a default species, most higher level armors for Sith Inquisitors do not work for Twi'lek and for Togruate even less so), Bounty Hunter (backpack). Any Armour that comes with a free floating cape is also somewhat less than ideal, but it's not quite as painful to look at. I've once changed the species of my twi'lek trooper to chiss because I couldn't look at the head tail overlapping with the rifle anymore.

However these are only problems that existing species' already have, so it's not really a no-go.

I believe the problem with adding new classes is: The players are painfully aware that it does not make a difference. While the original classes may have one or two dialogues and a handful of lines in dialogues particularly tailored to them. The most intense difference I can think of is with a chiss Imperial Agent on Hoth. Even though they made a mistake at another part of the story: An NPC says "The Rattataki leaves", refering to Kaliyo, even when the player character is a Rattaki themselves. And that is a default species for Imperial Agent.

As soon as you start wearing full armor with helmet it makes no difference at all. I don't know about Togrutas (I think in that case a head piece never shows, because there is none in the game that works for them), but in the case of Twi'lek the head tails are simply cut off.

The game is aware that you're an "alien", particularly when Imperial NPCs refer to you, but certainly not which kind of alien. Other members of the same species hardly ever recognize you as their own, with only a handful of exceptions. (As said, the Imperial Agent on Hoth, twi'lek Jedi in a few missions on Tython.)

It's not only a purely cosmetic difference, the game keeps smacking into your face that it is. With equipment problems on top of it and the constant struggle to find thing that actually work or be barred from cool options (there is an elegant and smooth vibrolance I'd really like to use with my Jedi Shadow, but that would clip witth the head tails).

On top of this there is at least one completely arbitrary restriction: Even near human species which have perfectly normal human hair, if in different colours, you cannot use the additional human hair cuts. You can preview them in customisation interface, but you cannot buy them. There is no reason why cyborgs, chiss, miralan and true sith can't use the additional hair cuts.

And let's not get started on romance options. It would be nice to have Zenith a romance option at least for female twi'lek Jedi Consulars but it isn't. I bet being a Cathar makes no difference in regards of Aric Jorgan in the addtions to the game after cathar was added. With the female options it's a bit better if you see all classes overall, there is Vette (twi'lek), there is Asharra (Togruta). The only thing I know about are that regard are two mini romances in the Imperial Agent Story line, which only work if class, gender and species are correct. (And are mutually exclusive for that reason. In one case you have to be male human, in the other female chiss.)

All of this leads me to being hardly excited to new species anymore. Yes I bought the additions, but I hardly ever use them.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Give us wookies

Wookiees* People never spell that correctly, makes me laugh at the hundreds of guilds that have it spelled wrong.

Its been stated that it will never happen, same with droids. We have ONE, that's a big 1, example of a Wookiee force user in canon, 4 if you count Legends. Bioware's reason, however, is due to romance options.

Edited by Temeluchus