What is your idea to be 'fair' when your pre-mades are decimating the opposition?

philwil

I love how you're still talking about the scores being not close as us not being challenged. Did you overlook the fact that we lost 3 of the games. How exactly were we not challenged in any of those games if we freaking lost 3 of them?

You didn't indicate which matches specifically were losses.

in 11 games you lost 3 times - it took a team of two groups just to beat you twice

What was the experience like for all the people that lost to you though, as 8 of 11 is approximately 72% of those matches vs. about 27%.

But you're right your original point stands, running a group and getting beat a fraction of the time still means you were able to face competition to challenge you to perform at your best.

Over 70% of the "people" against you could not win in that small sample size.

Months ago, people might have complained or warned people in channel to stay away from the premade. But pops were regular enough and simultaneous matches were common that it didn't merit a thread. More importantly there would likely be several groups going at a given time regardless. (But maybe there have been I didn't look at the forums then). But the queue isn't that lively anymore.

You didn't indicate which matches specifically were losses.

in 11 games you lost 3 times - it took a team of two groups just to beat you twice.

Next time I'll make sure to add My teams scores on the right, I just assumed that's how anyone would read a bunch of scores like that.

Settle......people play their style. They pay their monthly sub fees. We can only ask that they try to help things along in gsf.

I'd like to see new blood...new blood that stays and plays.

Maybe they will take notice of us again. They being the Devs.

There are few good solutions to these issues, and fewer still are realistic and easy to implement.

I regularly solo-queue into awful matches that, from the onset, are clearly destined to be ten to fifteen minutes of misery. This gets to be mentally taxing, and particularly galling when complaints are made that I'm 'in a premade' while I am actively solo-q'ing into said awful matches. Eventually, I need to group for purposes of sanity preservation or alternately quit/switch servers.

On the other hand, I was just recently invited to fly with Drakolich and Verain (and later Xiaoyu joined in). Fully aware that I would be committing the sin of being 'in a premade' and even worse, on voice (since apparently the purest and noblest form of GSFing is solo-queuing blind into a team that makes no effort to coordinate) I proceeded to enjoy socializing and flying a few matches.

Because our 3-man made the mistake of just hitting the 'Group Battle" button to see what would happen, we were placed in a couple matches with another pubside group (with Lucklessa, Meraxus, and MaxmillianPowers who may or may not all have been grouping). This led to an immediate outcry impside from Krixarcs that we were in an '8 man premade' and later that I was now a 'disgrace' in his eyes, essentially for attempting to enjoy the game. Never mind that our group, after two matches of being sorted onto the same team as the other premade, then actively sought to stagger our queues to avoid that. Never mind that our then 4-man premade had some close matches going both ways. The evil deeds were done, we had grouped and won matches, therefore casting us as blights on the game.

There is no way to set up custom matches to ensure fairness, which continues to be maybe the greatest mistake Bioware made in GSF's design. The magical raindance necessary to get premades fighting against each other by timing when they queue is only marginally effective and frustrating to participate in.

The level of miserable bs and grief that veteran pilots receive for trying to extract some tiny measure of fun out of this game is ludicrous and infuriating. The general apathy and indifference of the great majority of new and inexperienced pilots is infuriating. The growing list of trolls who have little interest in anything other than belittling people and being negative jerks in GSF chat (and here on the forum) is infuriating. The entire post-3.0 level of Bioware's negligence towards what had been a much larger segment of their player base is infuriating.

So, I guess it's safe to say I'm furious.

I can see only one route off the fury road, and it requires the following:

1. Coordination on a very large scale by an entity that can control who is flying with who on both factions, along with where and when they are doing it.
  2. Continual active outreach to every single new player seen in matches that points them to all the resources available to help them learn how to play the game
  3. Availability of player-run in-game tutorial resources to supplement the guides, videos, etc.

Wow, that sure sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it? And like the people who put such a far reaching and involved plan into action would probably spend more time managing it than they would enjoying the game itself (what of it there is to enjoy these days, anyway).

Fortunately, this precise plan seems to be in-action, perpetrated by the oft demonized and maligned megaguild SRW... surely for some nefarious scheme to ruin everyone's fun, right? But... wait how can they be ruining fun nobody is having in the first place... well, set aside your cognitive dissonance and let's see what happens.

I'll be running GSFschool sessions on Shadowlands impside next week in support of this effort.

- Despon

This is great news, glad to have you aboard. Lately we've been breaking up teams a lot and sending good players over to imps. I've even found myself on the receiving end of Vexxial's Condor snapshots on multiple occasions.

That was in reference to them being "challenge". I wasn't referring to games being close in general. There are matchups where you know you can lose at any time and matchups where you know you just have to go through the motions and the win is essentially guaranteed.

Well, a 1000-700 game can be challenging for both teams. In the easiest scenario, let's say Team W takes B but Team L takes C & A. The score goes up to around 130-260 (~2m10s) until Team W manages to take C. After that they need to get to 800-600 until one satellite would be enough (~5m40s) to win the game anyway. To fill up the rest of the points it takes ~1m40s. This means from ~9m30s total game time there are ~7m50s where it's not clear who the winner is. One single mistake by Team W or surprise attack by Team L could turn that game around as long as it happens during the first 82% of the duration of the game. This can be very challenging on both sides.

If a game get's in the regions of a 1000-800 it's almost certain that it was a challenging game for the winning side.

A 20-40 match one team clearly won. Just because they didn't hit 50 doesn't suddenly make them both lose as if it was a draw like early warzone end and both points even.

I never said they both lost, but a deathmatch timeout is a sign that both teams weren't far apart in overall strength. Maybe 20-40 is a bit over the top, but for example a 26-38 can be challenging for both sides.

In deathmatch it can be somewhat difficult to tell if a game is challenging, especially because every player on a team can perceive the game completely different. It depends a lot on overall team balance and relative player strength. If a team wins with 10-15 points advantage but 4 out of 8 players on that team don't make a single kill, then the game can be challenging for the other four.

Edited by Danalon

What a great thread. A lot of really good points.

It's really true- the GSF community on the Harbinger is declining noticeably. When I moved my toons over from the Bastion around 8 months ago, it was constant pops all day long, multiple matches going, and SO many more competitive matches than I ever saw on the Bastion.

That's not the case any longer.

I just got out of a dom match that ended 951 -1000 with under thirty seconds left on the clock. THAT was fun, but it's oh so rare. I happened to be solo q'd for that one - no obvious premades on either side.

You can't stop people from grouping for GSF. It's just more fun to fly with a squadron than it is to fly solo - but there are things that bother me. The big problems I see run more along the lines of combat behavior in matches than whether people are grouped or not.

1. When one side is stacked with veterans and the other is full of two-shippers... and all the veterans take out their gunships and mow the newbies down without mercy... I really hate seeing that. Let the new guys dogfight and get a feel for the game. The only thing you learn from being reduced to plasma and debris as soon as you spawn is that GSF is no fun and you have no hope against your enemy.

2. Trip capping newbies who can't even manage to score a kill. I know it happens, and sometimes they're just too inexperienced to even take the sat that you leave undefended for them. But I'm talking about when all three are capped and fortified with two bombers vs. a buncha guys in stock starguards. There really is no reason for those guys to stay in the match at all. Or que up again.

... and other stuff like that. When you're facing a buncha newbies, I don't see any reason to go full bore and squish their guts out. THAT damages the player base, and I think we're seeing the consequences of that to a degree.

I always keep a non-meta ship or two in my lineup for those matches that are hopelessly stacked in my favor. I try to avoid killing starguards with slugs at 14500 meters, unless it's an experienced pilot I'm familiar with. There are things we should do, and attitudes we should adopt to make the game more enjoyable for the learners. Or eventually the harbinger may go the way of the Bastion - no pops, ever, except in prime time, and no good matches at all.

I applaud Despon's efforts to train new pilots. I used to do that on the Bastion quite a lot. I stopped because it's frustrating to put time and energy into someone who ends up quitting a month later anyway. I could never tell which ones would keep playing, and which ones wouldn't... Of the people I taught GSF to, maybe 1 or 2 still play it at all. But... maybe I need to start doing that again. Now that guilds can have 1000 people there's no reason not to sit on the starter worlds and recruit people on day 1 of their game. Find those who love combat flight sims and start strengthening the foundations of GSF on the server. Just a thought. You've inspired me a bit, Despon.

GSF queues seem pretty tightly coupled to server population. Sure, the aces will server hop, because GSF is the game for them, and the rest of the game is a really ornate GSF lobby. But most players are here for a full star wars experience, and of those, a subset are both interested in, and capable of, playing GSF. If their raiding guild moves to FF14 or Wildstar or WoW, then they probably go do those primarily, if their social guild moves to a big SWTOR server than they go along with them and queue GSF there, etc. Basically, we get 1 GSF pilot for every X players gained, and we lose 1 GSF pilot for every Y players lost, where Y is a bit bigger than X, but very very close. The relationship seems pretty linear.

Bastion queues dropped even with a bunch of active veterans- and they dropped when the population tanked during almost-free-transfers that ended up with a bunch of big guilds moving over. I mean, that seemed pretty plain in terms of effect.

What a great thread. A lot of really good points.

It's really true- the GSF community on the Harbinger is declining noticeably. When I moved my toons over from the Bastion around 8 months ago, it was constant pops all day long, multiple matches going, and SO many more competitive matches than I ever saw on the Bastion.

That's not the case any longer.

People seem to have this idea that "close matches" are so rare that matches won with a 300 point lead or 15 kill spread are "competitive".

Here are some matches from today:

994-1000 Loss Relentless 11-6-5 52317 45% 108 15medals

39-38 Win Reiyn... I think screen shot didn't take - just remember the score because I was in shock.

I actually had 5 matches that went down to the wire but since the screens didn't take I can't specify the rest, though I also have scores from other days just going back to march this year

43-48 Loss Reiyn (sage) 17-8-7 53478 61% 0 8medals

32-35 Loss Roland (pub) 5-15-2 53142 45% 0 6medals

1000-943 Win Relentless 12-17-3 57218 42% 251 16medals

50-41 Win Roland(imp) 21-1-4 63325 51% 0 7medals

43-49 Loss Retrocide 17-11-6 98109 60% 0 9medals

49-40 Win Maryss 22-11-4 112140 57% 0 9medals

40-46 Loss Roland(pub) 23-10-4 115127 57% 0 9medals

46-41 Win Roland (pub) 19-12-4 89175 71% 0 10medals

33-38 Loss Relentless 13-11-5 79023 55% 0 9medals

50-45 Win Roland (pub) 22-6-3 97793 53% 0 8medals

46-39 Win Relentless 20-10-2 79755 43% 0 8medals

968-1000 Loss Reiyn(main) 0-1-0 1924 29% 0 0medals

Now a few of those I think the gaps are a little big but then take into consideration how much my score played into the total score.

One match I caught the very end of it backfilling but display it here to emphasize that even without my influence its all very possible for matches to be extremely close.

Now this is me flying solo, notice that there are times where I make up nearly half the team score and one time where I even managed to do more than 50% - and these are just the close matches.

Now, imagine you put several players that can perform at that level on the same side - how much of an impact and just how one-sided are you willing to accept it's gonna get?

32-50 Loss Relentless 20-3-5 77741 57% 0 7medals

35-46 Loss Roland (imp) 19-8-8 77248 62% 0 8medals

10-50 Loss Maryss 4-3-7 22066 45% 0 3medals

23-42 Loss Money 16-1-4 91293 78% 0 7medals

50-10 Win Reiyn (main) 11-7-0 48042 32% 0 8medals

18-50 Loss Reiyn (main) 6-6-2 26229 35%0 6medals

That match with money has 1 person scoring 70% of the team's kills, meaning the remainng 30% was the performance of the rest of the team combined.

What do you think those matchups are like when there's no one capable around of trying to stem the tide? Just tonight someone in channel was expressing desire to give up as the abuse was just too much. Another person asked how to quit the channel outright. One person was totally enraged after a lousy experience in ranked only to get one just as bad coming into gsf.

Everyone wants to have fun - but when the queue is suffering and you maintain the same behavior the rest of us suffer. People try a lot harder when they think they can win - if the loss is guaranteed the match quality drops so far down.

I've seen SeCKSEgai on multiple toons on Harbinger when I visit. Most times you want to put him on ignore so you're not bothered by continuous whining emitted by this pilot on /GSF. Instead of getting a team together and fielding it, he whines. Instead of getting better, he whines. When I see him on my team I don't go "Yea! I can rely on this guy!". It's more like: "At least it's not a total noob".

If he cares about balance and community so much, he should start his own guild/group that he regularly flies with and maybe even get a voice chat. Though I don't think he will have any success with all of his complaints. People tend to group with people who they like. You can't constantly tolerate someone who irritates the hell out of you. After a while you get fed up and you'd rather play with someone else.

So SeCKSEgai should either step up or shut up. Complaining on the forums or in /GSF accomplishes nothing.

That's the kind of attitude in our community. With fewer and fewer of us left - is this the mindset you want to represent?

Edited by SeCKSEgai
adding quote

I don't fly on harbinger all that much, but if your GSF chat is in any way similar to ranked, you have a serious problem... And I don't think it is.

I don't think people enjoy being carried much more than they enjoy being stomped. I know I don't like it. As for the rareness of balanced games... I've gotten into a habit of screenshotting close matches, so I can say exactly how many I've had lately. In the past 3 weeks (playing weekends only), I've had four games I consider close, and only one of them was domination.

Last night I had two: TDM on TRE that we lost 50-49, and the game after we were annihilated. DOM on SL that ended 1000-900something, and honestly didn't have the feeling of a close game. All other games I had were either not close or stomps.

Also, I don't think soloqueueing will improve the chance of a balanced game. In fact, the main reason the 50-49 game went like that was because I was grouped with Myralli. I don't believe we would have done nearly as well without both of us. In fact, I was surprised we did as well as we did...

Edited by Greezt

People seem to have this idea that "close matches" are so rare that matches won with a 300 point lead or 15 kill spread are "competitive".

Even a DOM game that ends 1000-500 can be challenging for both sides. If both teams have roughly the same strength then sometimes the only reason a team wins is, that they managed to get to the satellites faster in the beginning of a match. A game that ends 1000-700 means that satellites changed color during the game and maybe even the lead changed. A game with 1000-800+ most of the time includs satellites staying white or changing color frequently. Those games aren't close, but they can be competitive. And just to clarify, not every 1000-700 game is challenging to play and some 1000-800 games are easy, but a 1000-700 can be challenging and a 1000-700 usually is somewhat stressfull.

Maybe 15 points is a bit too much for deathmatch. However I consider 10 points difference as competitive. I had some games that were close up to around 30 points for both teams and suddenly one team managed to score 5+ kills within seconds, and turn the game into a clear victory with 10+ points advantage because the other team wasn't able to recover from that blow. I had several games where I was going slow because at 10-5 it looked like an easy match only to find that some minutes later we were at 27-31 or something - I lost two or three of such games and ever since then I keep an advantage of 10 points against teams which seem worse than my team before I go afk and let them fight. A 10 point advantage can melt within seconds the same way a close game can suddenly turn into a clear victory.

I want to add, that the final score doesn't tell the story behind it. Even if two games have similar outcomes, one of them might have been a competitive one while the other was an easy win and the loser team just got a relatively high score, because the winning team was going slow and let them get some points.

What do you think those matchups are like when there's no one capable around of trying to stem the tide?

I know that sort of games and a lot of them aren't exactly what I'd call competitive. I remember games where the enemy team was below average and my team was even worse, with me being clearly a superior pilot to all of them. Basically it ends in me trying to farm the enemy team faster than they can farm my team. It's somewhat challenging but as said, I wouldn't call that competitive.

On the other hand, some of those games can be extremely challenging and competitive, depending on the exact strengths of teams and players.

Factors like teamplay have a huge impact on those games. If I'm "alone" on my team and the other team plays together I can't do much, even if I'm clearly better than everyone of them. If everyone of the enemy team "does their own thing" it's usually easy to keep them under control or kill them.

It's hard to tell who has fun in a game. For some people winning is fun. For some people topping the scoreboard is fun. In some of those matches, where basically everyone but one person ends up with the feeling of "being farmed" it's possible no one "had fun".

Edited by Danalon

Here is one for the close game archives.

I didn't know you started streaming Lendul that's awesome!

Really close match looked fun.

If you'd like feedback on your gameplay let me know. You did mention at the end of the video you thought you made too many "mechanical mistakes". If you are looking for feedback maybe toss up what you thought you did wrong so I don't point out stuff you already know and are practicing?

I didn't know you started streaming Lendul that's awesome!

Really close match looked fun.

If you'd like feedback on your gameplay let me know. You did mention at the end of the video you thought you made too many "mechanical mistakes". If you are looking for feedback maybe toss up what you thought you did wrong so I don't point out stuff you already know and are practicing?

Right now the stream is still very much in the Beta phase. Which lead to the two big glaring mistakes which were my self destructs into the mountain by hugging it too tight and strafing into it resulting in two points for the other team. An additional mistake on the strafing was that I took to long to strafe back after firing the rail shot. I also some how ended up tabbed into my chat and was entering commands into guild chat at the end of the game which I also view as a mechanical mistake. There were some times when I had neglected to switch to engine and weapon power at the correct time as well. That is all I remember off the top of my head. Any help is always appreciated. From you or anyone else be it friendly or hostile.

Edited by Lendul

Right now the stream is still very much in the Beta phase. Which lead to the two big glaring mistakes which were my self destructs into the mountain by hugging it too tight and strafing into it resulting in two points for the other team. An additional mistake on the strafing was that I took to long to strafe back after firing the rail shot. I also some how ended up tabbed into my chat and was entering commands into guild chat at the end of the game which I also view as a mechanical mistake. There were some times when I had neglected to switch to engine and weapon power at the correct time as well. That is all I remember off the top of my head. Any help is always appreciated. From you or anyone else be it friendly or hostile.

Ya the strafing mistakes always suck, but those are easy to catch. Your power management issues were more then just a minor thing though, you were actually in the wrong setting I'd say almost 40% of the game, definitely something for you to work on.

I'd recommend using Retro more in those Gunship battles you were having, you can setup right at the end of your range and if he starts charging on you just retro and then right click full stop at the end of the retro and you'll no longer be in his range. If you started charging first you can release your shot and retro right after to fire and dodge his. In the video you use Retro exactly once in the whole match I remember because I had taken a mental note of it to tell you and in the last 10 seconds of the game you retro'd lol.

After 2 or 3 shots you definitely should be getting out of the scope mode just to take a quick look around. I found you were staying zoomed in for far too long, so much so by the time you stopped everyones position had changed so much I had no idea where anyone was while watching the stream.

Next lets talk weapon power management. Your weapon power regenerates at 10/s, however if you have fired or charged a railgun within the last 1.5 seconds it goes down too 4/s. If you're in power to weapons these numbers are 15/s and 6/s. Once you run out of weapon energy it is far more efficient to stop firing and wait until you have almost a full energy bar again before beginning to fire. Obviously if someone is shooting at you, you can't afford to sit around and wait for all of it, but many times I saw you finish a target then swap to the next one and try to fire at him with only 10% of your weapon power left. After you finish a target it's a good time to regenerate some weapon power so you can chain fire at the next one again.

I'd like to touch on deadtime a little, however i think you might have just been distracted by the stream so I don't want to be too harsh. You spent a lot of time getting to a target, it often felt like you were just way out of range doing nothing. If it wasn't just you being distracted maybe just work on getting to a fire position faster.

Well that's about everything I have on the video, other then maybe get more Damage Overcharges! Thanks for posting the video and I hope this stuff helps you out. :)

Since you got one friendly from Drakolich...

As he said, your power management is bad. My understanding that you've been around for a long time. Power management must be on a muscle memory level. If you move - power to engines, if you shoot - power to weapons.

Your using of retrues is almost non-existent. Why do you even have them?

Your understanding of the ship capabilities, positioning and situational awareness can be much much better.

First, you're trying to engage in a direct shootout with T1 gunships while out in the open.

You're at a huge disadvantage just due to your ship. You have 9% less evasion because you don't have the armoring. In other words - all things equal they have 9% more effective accuracy against you. Why do you even try to sit there and shoot at them?

Here is the breakdown:

@ 1:03

You're charging in power to engine mode.

@ 1:21

You're still charging in power to engine mode.

You run our of energy but instead of switching to correct power mode and regenerating it a bit you keep on squeezing the last drops.

@ 1:37

You're hit with ion splash and you don't even react to it. You don't even try to see who shot you.

@1.43

Finally you switch to power to weapons mode!

@ 2:32

It was obvious that there is a gunship closing on you and disappearing at 15 km mark due to sensor dampening. Right there you should have either charged your railgun and waited for them to appear or move to cover. You waited until you got hit with fully charged ion railgun. Instead of retroing right away or boosting to cover under DF or strafing to cover, you just sat there for 15 seconds and waited to be turned to dust.

@3:38

You're charging in power to engines mode again. Took you 8 seconds to realize and correct.

@4:20

Boosting while in power to weapons mode.

@4:51

You got shot directly with ion and you boost in power to weapon mode which basically sucks your engines dry but you still insist on being in power to weapons mode.

@5:27

You wasted your wingman buff. You didn't have anyone of importance targeted, in-range, in line of sight, and you didn't even have your railgun charged. You keep on sitting there and charging, wasting all your weapon bar. Only when your wingman run out you decided to move in.

You got shot, but instead of using retros you used DF and boosted while in power to weapons mode!

@6:24

I'm sure that was something you didn't plan for, so your death wasn't a big deal.

@7:13

Charging while in power to engines mode again.

Kept on charging to 100% while even a 25% charge would have been enough. Waste of time and energy.

3 successive boosts wasting energy. (each activation costs you 5 energy for the total of 15)

@7:33

You could have waited a fraction longer and killed that gunship in one hit.

@8:30

You wasted 50% of your DF.

You didn't have enough energy for the second shot to ensure the kill and your DF run out, but instead of moving back behind the rock you just sat there like a champ and ate those slugs. (That other gunship had DF+Wingman up after you shot him so you should have moved back sooner or used retroes to throw them off a bit.)

You moved too far even though you were already safe and self-destructed.

@9:23

Charging while in power to engines mode again. (Might be a good decision since your engines are drained, but I don't think you did it intentionally). You've wasted your wingman. You didn't have a full charge and it was obvious that you target was moving out of your range.

Still charging in power to engines mode.

You have an opportunity shot that you didn't take and you wasted your entire charge a moment later.

@9:38

Still charging in power to engines mode.

Released partial charge for no reason 2 times and instead of securing a kill you had to run and ended up dead.

@10:30

@11:10

Challenging a T1 gunship to a shooting contest while you don't have any cover.

Instead of using retroes to run (because other gunship had DF+Wingman up) you used DF and tried to boost.

You "unexpectedly" died.

@12:07

Finally some power to weapon mode for a change.

Overcharging instead of taking an opportunity shot. (the guy is almost dead you needed like 30% charge at most)

@12:40

Wow. You challenge a T1 gunship to a shooting contest while you have no DF, no Wingman, your front shields are damages and your hull is damages. (While other gunship was at 100% + LOL Fortress Shield up)

You could have used retroes and LOS him, but you just boosted away. (your luck that someone else shot him and made him move and killed him or you would have died.)

@13:18

No comment about that strike that charged you.

@13:56

Why did you even bother engaging with red hull? You should have run towards your spawn instead of giving away a point. But at least you manage you discover your retroes.

Summary:

Power management: F

Understanding of ship strengths and weaknesses: D

Situational awareness: D

Positioning: C

Piloting: C

@11:10

Challenging a T1 gunship to a shooting contest while you don't have any cover.

Instead of using retroes to run (because other gunship had DF+Wingman up) you used DF and tried to boost.

You "unexpectedly" died.

Just to clarify. I was expecting to die. What was unexpected to me was that it was a self destruct. I do thank you for your thorough break down of the game.

We were pulverizing the Pubs the other night - and several of us started easing up to give them a chance, then

3 of us switched sides to even things up - but it ended up killing the queue 1 or 2 matches later - though it was getting late - Midnight UK and 1am in most of the EU.

Of course if there was a bigger pool of players, there could be some actual matchmaking. - It's a shame that BW abandoned us, and we pretty much all know one another by 1st names now. :(

About the only thing we as players can do is keep flying and teaming up with anyone in GSF queue. - coz eventually the opposition will have IRL things to take them away from the game.....:)

Edited by Storm-Cutter