Megaservers

Joesixxpack

Looks like you are right. Here is a topic on Reddit

Look at the picture - on the mini-map at the lower right corner. You can see a PvE/PvP switch.

Yeah, there's three ways to flip. Right click your portrait and toggle, like the old pvp flag. The toggle at the bottom of the minimap, works the same way, and you can switch on the world map to the PVP instance

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to so far. Whenever I log out PVE, I log back in PVE. If I log out PVP, I log back in PVP.

I wonder if that info's saved server-side, or client-side (like UI arrangements, keybinds, contact lists, and some other character settings)? I really hope it's not client-side...

Edited by sentientomega

Yeah, this change didn't exactly require alot of dev work, dude. It's basically just turning on both rulesets for the server, and then adding some glue to switch between them. It's a nice little QoL feature. However, everyone is down on it because of the rampant speculation, followed by the disappointment that they made a mistake.

Here's what's not a speculation: if this launches without megaservers, it's only gonna make the uneven population and queue issue worse. Not on handful of the biggest servers but everywhere else yep. WIth all servers becoming essentially the same, population will be the only relevant factor in chosing, Even more people will move to servers that are simply most popular.

If megaservers are not coming, then with this "little QOL change", as nice as it will, will actively making the problem of uneven server populations and queue times even worse. Not working on solution to solve the issues, not even trying to keep it from getting worse, they're literally gonna make it even worse by themselves.

Seriously... :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by Pietrastor

Sure it does. Once or twice a year. In the grand scheme of things, where does accidental PVP flagging rank on list of pressing important issues? Especially compared to queue times?

Depends on who you ask. I've not been in a queue in at least a year, I have had to avoid PvP griefers multiple times during that same span. Therefore, preventing PvP griefing is higher priority in my estimation than shortening queue times.

Here's what's not a speculation: if this launches without megaservers, it's only gonna make the uneven population and queue issue worse. Not on handful of the biggest servers but everywhere else yep. WIth all servers becoming essentially the same, population will be the only relevant factor in chosing, Even more people will move to servers that are simply most popular.

Honestly, with the spaces in names coming at the same time, I don't see a problem with that. That will help resolve the biggest impediment to server moves, as you'll have a much better chance to keep your name.

Now, with that being said, this could easily be groundwork for a cross-realm play down the road, but it's such a simple change and does have QoL implications, that there's not really any point in holding out on it's release until everything else might be ready to go.

Believe, I would LOVE for cross realm play to become reality, and I suspect it will. At the same time, not going to ***** about good changes.

Edited by DayneDrak

Sure it does. Once or twice a year. In the grand scheme of things, where does accidental PVP flagging rank on list of pressing important issues? Especially compared to queue times?

Depends on where you play. When I que with my boyfriend we don't have that long to wait. I do know friends that hate pvp and never ever flag and have been killing mobs when a someone stealths into their mobs and kills them because of that. And it is not accidental that is done by a pvp player purposedly because they want to act like jerks.

My boyfriend loves to pvp yet he never acts like this but unfortunately there will always be jerks (on either side) and if this will eliminate some of it then good.

I do not have ANY characters on PVP servers. I will be starting new legacies on each PVP server when they are converted. i can't speak for others, but I can say that I expect I will not be the only one.

I do not expect you will see former PVP servers die...instead I expect you will likely see an influx of new players...perhaps not engaging in PVP, but a higher population none the less.

It would only work if character limits are removed. If a player has 24 characters on server a , server b, and 8 on server c for a total of 56 characters and then you mash them all together on a server that player would have 56 characters there and you would be shafting said customer if he has to delete or make any of them inactive.

when they merged servers before I ended up with 32 characters on a server. I couldnt make any new characters and if I deleted 1 the slot went away but they were not inactive

I do not have ANY characters on PVP servers. I will be starting new legacies on each PVP server when they are converted. i can't speak for others, but I can say that I expect I will not be the only one.

I do not expect you will see former PVP servers die...instead I expect you will likely see an influx of new players...perhaps not engaging in PVP, but a higher population none the less.

that should help the gtn on those servers become more useful

I will say one of the things I liked about The Secret World was its "single server" technology. It had different worlds that were your characters' home worlds, but you could join friends on other worlds by meeting up with them at any time. It was nice because if I had different friends who played on different worlds, we could all get together and do something like dungeon runs or raiding.

I'm not sure how they'd be able to apply that to something like SWTOR with PvP and PVE servers unless they made separate ones for those players and kept them from interacting.

For 180cc you can move to another server on your continent and back :p

Correction: for 90CC and I need to wait another 72 hours before I can transfer back. Another correction: I will lose everything in my outfit designer. My guild membership, guild, guild strongholds and flagship wont come with me. Neither will my legacy.

Correction: for 90CC and I need to wait another 72 hours before I can transfer back. Another correction: I will lose everything in my outfit designer. My guild membership, guild, guild strongholds and flagship wont come with me. Neither will my legacy.

Correction: Legacy does go with you - I transferred several characters to an RP server and they have the full legacy and achievements they had, including the Legendary status and datacrons, when they left the old server. It took a couple of days for the "mount while running" to work, but it's all there.

Clarification: He said 180cc because it will 90cc to transfer and 90cc to transfer back

Correction: Legacy does go with you - I transferred several characters to an RP server and they have the full legacy and achievements they had, including the Legendary status and datacrons, when they left the old server. It took a couple of days for the "mount while running" to work, but it's all there.

Clarification: He said 180cc because it will 90cc to transfer and 90cc to transfer back

Correction: Not if you already have a legacy on the said server. Transfering to servers is not like buying plane tickets. It does not include a "return" part.

Correction: Not if you already have a legacy on the said server. Transfering to servers is not like buying plane tickets. It does not include a "return" part.

Correction: You didn't mention anything about having a Legacy on the server, you stated that the Legacy doesn't come with you, when it fact it does. If you transfer to server with a legacy on it, the higher Legacy will "win" (if you have a level 50 Legacy and transfer to a server where you had a level 10 Legacy, you will have level 50). All unlocks will be combined (if you had Jetpack on the server you're leaving and quick travel cooldown on the server you transfer to, you will have both).

People who give wrong information should be jettisoned out the airlock.

Correction: No one said anything about a "return" part, the guy (or gal, I don't know) who posted said it would cost 180cc to go to another server and come back - 90cc for each transfer would give a total bill of 180cc.

Edited by CrazyCT

I would be really surprised to see players transfer to PvP servers after the 4.3 changes. PvP servers are currently the lowest populated in the game.

Question: Are we able to temporarily visit other servers like you can in for example Guild Wars 2?

As a sub, I get a free Level 60 on each server. If that's the case for everyone, then that would be a good way to roll and check things out without burning any CC.

I would be really surprised to see players transfer to PvP servers after the 4.3 changes. PvP servers are currently the lowest populated in the game.

Something to add to the "adding a pve only instance to pvp servers" bonus, people who -dont- like being social and just want to be wandering around by themselves in their own KOTOR 3 can achieve this on low pop pvp servers. If its already low pop as it is, the pve instances should be -real- empty.

Thats actually part of what keeps me on jung ma, very rarely run into derps, especially if I avoid the fleet. Now i can probably have the entire sw universe to myself in the pve instance :D

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric

Running around the open world can be as much or as little of a pain in the neck as we want it, then.

It does make datacrons less crazy on PvP servers, because soon everyone can go to PvE instances and not have to sit near whatever uberslow transport for 30 minutes worrying about other-faction showing up.

And it doesn't help queue times or matchmaking for weird-hours PvP or PvE group finders.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.