2nd 1000 profit

3rd 1000 profit

4th 500 loss

5th 1000 loss

6th even

7th even

8th 500 loss

9th 2000 loss

I won't even try missions now, I just slice farm when I see them on the map, while questing.

QFT.

...I wonder if I can get my own personal Chinese farmer to farm credits for me daily...like a companion...that would be awesome. (just being facetious - before someone takes me seriously)

So, do you want to have them remove the entire companion mission system? Because other professions can send their companions out for goods which both support craft OR are worth raw credits if sold. Wow that's actually more versatile and OP than slicing. Nerf it.

Who cares if it's a cool or innovative system that makes this a more fun and interesting game.

QFT.

...I wonder if I can get my own personal Chinese farmer to farm credits for me daily...like a companion...that would be awesome. (just being facetious - before someone takes me seriously)

I'm seriously wondering why no MMO has already done this, I mean they already hate the gold farmers so why not make a mount in their honor or something.

Get it? Players "riding" the gold farmers, huh? HUH? =p

Just had to throw my support behind this. Slicing, which by definition was a "money" making skill is needed and should be brought back to the way it was...or at least better than what they've done to it now.

I've given up a needed "craft" skill for slicing for that sole purpose. I'm sorry if people who chose to not do this complain that I get money for using slicing...tough. They can do the same. That's what having choices is for. You much sacrifice to gain...I thought that's what this game was doing by giving so many choices and making the player make those tough choices.

Now I see as some here have posted that this is going to turn to the typical MMO response where the largest whiners get their way.

As it is now...I've only lvl'd slicing to 165 and I was never seeing these incredible credits that folks where talking about, but I was at least making some return on investment...now I'm lucky if I get back what I spent. Not to mention the time that my companion is away.

All this will do is make all those folks who actually devoted time and energy into leveling up Slicing to give it up as a wasted skill....

I know it sounds like I'm whining and in a way I am, but I just wish that the change wasn't so drastic. oh well.

So, do you want to have them remove the entire companion mission system? Because other professions can send their companions out for goods which both support craft OR are worth raw credits if sold. Wow that's actually more versatile and OP than slicing. Nerf it.

Who cares if it's a cool or innovative system that makes this a more fun and interesting game.

Dude, you obviously don't understand or misread my post.

I'm seriously wondering why no MMO has already done this, I mean they already hate the gold farmers so why not make a mount in their honor or something.

Get it? Players "riding" the gold farmers, huh? HUH? =p

oohhhhhh I like that...clever indeed! LOL

Edited by Thanatosx

Just had to throw my support behind this. Slicing, which by definition was a "money" making skill is needed and should be brought back to the way it was...or at least better than what they've done to it now.

I've given up a needed "craft" skill for slicing for that sole purpose. I'm sorry if people who chose to not do this complain that I get money for using slicing...tough. They can do the same. That's what having choices is for. You much sacrifice to gain...I thought that's what this game was doing by giving so many choices and making the player make those tough choices.

Now I see as some here have posted that this is going to turn to the typical MMO response where the largest whiners get their way.

As it is now...I've only lvl'd slicing to 165 and I was never seeing these incredible credits that folks where talking about, but I was at least making some return on investment...now I'm lucky if I get back what I spent. Not to mention the time that my companion is away.

All this will do is make all those folks who actually devoted time and energy into leveling up Slicing to give it up as a wasted skill....

I know it sounds like I'm whining and in a way I am, but I just wish that the change wasn't so drastic. oh well.

The "incredible" credits come at level 175, with the mission "The automated saboteur"

Indeed, but the problem is that grinding is about as much fun as a head-swap operation.

Was gonna play SWTOR earlier, but then thought "no, there's some paint drying in the next room, i'll watch that for a bit instead".

Lol, tell that to our Chinese Credit Farming overlords.

Yeah. Speaking as an economist, inflation is good for everyone but late joining players. Your VIP pass still costs $1 million either way (to name a single credit sink), the only difference, as a non-slicer, is if you will sell a mat for $500 credits, or $1000.

Now, inflation is legitimately terrible for new players in old games, but it is also completely unavoidable unless the devs constantly add new credit sinks (which can often be unfun depending on what they are). If you've ever played on an old, high pop WOW server in recent days, you'll know the AH is basically worthless to buy from, you can only sell to it, because everything is priced for the 50,000 gold warlock's alts.

If you're an economist, then I'm the president of Antarctica.

Inflation has zero impact on late-joining players. In fact, it makes their lives a lot easier because they can get increased value for their gathered/harvested materials. Which means they can afford those NPC money-sinks like speeders / skills / repairs a lot easier.

Nobody forces them to buy gear off the AH/GTN. In fact, any player who is having money troubles should *stop* buying gear off of the market and simply rely on quest rewards. Nothing on the GTN is required in order to level to 50 - it's only the "want it now" crowd who think that they have to be wearing purples in every slot at level 20 who complain about GTN prices. Items sold on the GTN are a luxury unless you are into competitive raiding.

The stupidity on Bioware's part is that they allowed you to level a crew skill to 400 without having to be at some minimum level (like 35 or 40). So you rolled up a bunch of alts, got their companion, went and trained the Slicing skill, then just ran Slicing missions all day.

What's with everyone's obsession these days with calling people trolls and fanboys ? If you say something negative you're a troll. If you say something positive you're a fanboy. Just because someone has a different opinion then you doesn't make them retarded or up to mischief. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, get use it and learn to respect differences, people!!! :mad:

Welcome to the forums! :rolleyes:

I do NOT like the tie crafting to leveling. I hate that in other MMO's too. Why do I have to be a level 50 warrior so I can make armor. The one thing I liked about the SW mmo's is you could be a crafter that's it if you wanted to.

I do think the should increase the time of the missions and increase the pay out. That would give a profit and help limit the farming. The problem is no matter what you do you can not and will never stop gold farmers. So why ruin it for everyone else. This change just makes gold farmers more likely to be used.

Bioware you really over reacted and made it worse not better.

+1 My thoughts exactly...

I mean this is where the money that crafters make is coming from. HOW do I buy crafted items if there is NO MONEY!?

Exactly, all credits are system generated in some way. By having them generated by companion lockbox missions it simulates the economic activity of a much larger server without overcrowding issues. And again, slicing for credits is less versatile than mission running for materials which could be used OR sold for credits as well.

@Thanatosx - Sorry, missed that last bit.

Keep in mind that gathering skills do more than make money. If you want to get a shortcut directly to bosses in the flashpoints you can slice elevators to bypass 10+ minutes of trash clearing. I have personally used archaeology to bypass trash, and a friend of mine used scavenging to do the same. The gathering skills do much more than people realize and are only in it for the money. I was on the slicing band wagon myself but I decided to go back to treasure hunting so that I can make my own Artifice blues and purples and sell extra stuff on the GTN.

At first, I really didn't want to come to the official forums... I mean, I really don't think the the majority, and my posts always get trashed for the most part. But this latest "Fix" leaves me no alternatives.

Now I did read thru some of them and even stumbled on spreadsheets proving what took me hours to test out thouroughly. I will have to side with the people that are pointing out the nerf bat has hit too hard.

I used the skill from 10pm-4am yesterday, with two companions, while aiding my friend catching-up to me. In all that time, my displayed money (inventory tab) went from 44.000 to 50'000. That's 6k profit total, for two companions, for nearly 6 hours; or 500cr/hour per companion.

My Slicing Skill is a bit over 300, for the curious ones.

- - - - -

Why I took Slicing? easy.

Sometimes I like to stop levelling, and make money to gear myself. Maybe i'm just waiting for friends to catch-up to me, maybe my gear just suck and I want to get better without havnig to run flashpoints over and over (limited playtime over here).

I've always love that of the other online games, be it FF11, WoW, or others. Now I read post with ppl saying "Go level, you'll make money" , yeah but that's not how I like playing all the time... Like I said, I like something to do oither than levelling.

My thoughts on the nerf :

- While profit margins might have been too much before (and I'm not qualified to know if it really was, thats for Bioware and nobody elses to decide), I do feel like it's way too low now. Still possible to make money, my test has shown it; but woudn't 5k/hour, per companion be better ?

- If you only dont want level 15's doing high profits (and I think that's more the source of the problem you had), then just put back slicing to some(if not all) of it's former glory, but limit missions you can run by character levels. I was surprised as a level 16 that I could run level 30+ missions.

Thank You.

Hey, here's a secret to all you whiners, and hopefully to BioWare to keep it as this is already...

Do Rich/Bountiful missions ONLY. From lvl 0-60~ this might pose a problem, but afterwards at 200+ it's just fine.

At Grade 4 with only moderate, and can only do Grade 3 Rich, and have NO Bountifuls on Grade 3, downgrade to Grade 2...

Hey, profits all around. Now can we stop complaining?

Why not simply make it so that higher level missions have less chance of being successful if you are a lower level than the mission? That would solve all the gripes about people rolling in credits at level 1 because they pick slicing.

Because I just want it as a way to make money just like any other profession, I don't need to be filthy rich at a level where I can't even spend my cash.

the only thing they should of nerfed is the level required to run the missions. level your toon to fit the level. everything else should of stayed put. you should be able to gain the skill to 400 however it should of been required you be at the level to run that mission, nothing higher.

Remember Highlights (kid's magazine)?

Gallant goes to his job where he's a middle management wage slave and pulls in an okay salary. He pays his bills on time and has money left over to buy things he wants. He'd really like a new electric guitar.

Goofus makes electric guitars, but spends his rent money on expensive tutorials on how to make mandolins and banjos and sitars that no one will ever play. Goofus makes all of these things and then promptly smashes them up a la Pete Townsend because it makes him feel like a rockstar. He could take these things down and sell them at the pawnshop where he'd be losing money but still have some, or even look up Gallant and many other people who would pay very good money for the nice electric guitars that Goofus can make... If he did, he could actually wind up making much more money than Gallant could ever dream of, because Gallant is on a set salary. But smashing them is more fun.

Goofus hasn't payed his rent in two months and is about to get evicted.

The obvious solution?

Burn down Gallant's office because that mother(shut yo mouth!) obviously makes way too much money and it's all his fault.

Exactly, all credits are system generated in some way. By having them generated by companion lockbox missions it simulates the economic activity of a much larger server without overcrowding issues. And again, slicing for credits is less versatile than mission running for materials which could be used OR sold for credits as well.

@Thanatosx - Sorry, missed that last bit.

No problem.

I'm with you though. I think they over-nerfed slicing between raising the cost of the missions and then cutting the return of the missions. I think the companion crafting system is unique and awesome and that this basically cut it off at the knees for slicers whose main purpose in the game was to pump money into the economy through (mainly) direct credit influx and indirect (mission reward items) credit influx.

A nerf, sure...but maybe half of what it's currently nerfed it, which some people report is around 71%.

As someone who was an enchanter and tailor in wow...I immediately fell in love with the system...I dread the thought it's basically going to become another form of crafting I have to grind through.

It's definitely less versatile than crafting and likely not nearly the money-maker crafting will be end game, but it is/was a cool way to give people not-so interested in crafting a way to contribute to building the economy.

Loses money? Well what's the problem, it's like the other crafts... oh wait, you still make money? In my book that makes it better than pretty much any craft in the game. People barely buy anything of AH to begin with. I don't blame them because money is a problem at lower levels.

But yeah, kinda figures why i sold so nicely before the patch and then took a dive after... slicing. What's the point of crafting/trying to sell on the AH when people can't even afford/willing to pay you at "suggested" or lower pricing?