Changes Coming to Packs with 4.1

EricMusco

Hey folks,

Is it possible that I can get two Grand Chance Cubes in one pack (meaning no new items)?

Yes, this is possible. Just as with previous packs, it is possible to get two Bronze drops together, and in this case that means two Grand Chance Cubes. Keep in mind that you can get a new item from a Grand Chance Cube. It is even possible to get a full lootboxed version of one of the new Gold Armor Sets.

-eric

Hahaha u can even get double junk if ur not lucky without any new item at all. Gladly iam not that idiot who buys these packs for real money, only sometimes for my 500 subscriber cc. Won't even think about spending real money for this crap

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get what the debate is over. You don't have to actually see these packs work to know they are a bad idea.

The old packs worked because they gave you a relatively small list of items that you had a chance to get. With that small list, you felt like you had a real possibility at getting something you liked.

Not only that, but that short list of items was a list of NEW items, bar a couple of repeats like color crystals (which can be forgiven).

However, any pack that forgoes the small list of new items in favor of a large list of old items is already a bad idea. Your chances of getting something that you want are so slim that people will think twice about buying the packs.

And this is for two simple reason:

-They aren't getting the new items they are excited for.

-They keep getting old items that they have no more interest in.

This isn't a "wait and see" matter. It's basic probability. They are adding a pool of old items into the vastly smaller pool of new items.

If I want an old item, I'd look around for old packs or look for the item directly on the GTN. Because the value of those items goes up the longer they stay out of the cartel market. It encourages player trading and circulation of credits.

Bring back the old pack and embargo system. And merely bring out these Gold/Silver grand packs as temporary CM events.

You confusing with what you want from packs to what you think everyone wants.

This thread is relatively small for a change that some players think is definitely going to fail. It's even smaller when you consider many of the posts are by the same posters such as myself and Xo-Lara's tennis match.

Compare that to an issue that the majority had issue with namely say companion nerf and it seems this is just an issue that the minority of purchasers who DO want new items only have a problem with, clearly not everyone or this thread would be much more filled with vitriol directed at Austin as was the case over the highly unpopular nerf.

The wait and see concept comes from the fact you have no clue of the market and what it wants ... neither do i. We can guess and try support our arguments with the best anecdotal evidence we can but that's about it. We wait and see to see if sales will go up or down but again we won't know that so all we can really wait and see for is if they keep this in place or change it again.

If you want an old item and you're any player not super game rich odds are you going to have trouble finding or affording it. Especially if they were rarely brought back. This change helps this and as you yourself said it will encourage trade and the circulation of credits ... more supply = better prices = more trade.

They have their target. It's new players. For people who have been playing for a couple of years the idea of getting bunch of old junk they already have is understandably not exciting. But for new players ? They'll love it, or won't mind it. And for BW it's perfect. They do very little and they sell old stuff as new.

4.0 seems to be almost exclusively aimed for new players. They found themselves with a bunch of stuff to do. Bunch of operations that are "current", several rep grinds, events that have increased their occurrance, etc.

Veterans are welcome to stick around of course. But that's about it.

I think you're on the money here ... almost everything does indeed to be targeted at new players or existing players who felt older content was too difficult to access like operations etc.

I still personally don't see why they are embargoing the old pack each time a new pack comes out to only have 1 pack available. It reduces variety and thus must surely reduce purchases "hmmm nah I don't like the items in this pack but I liked the ones in the previous back but missed out ... guess I won't buy any CC then and just save my credits in game I'm earning to buy it on the GTN from someone who did get it from the previous pack".

Blame boredom and the slowness of the Strongholds board. I'd actually much rather be on those threads developing idea for future stronghold content, but those threads don't really update frequently. However, I do watch these kinds of threads because they concern me.

There is the frequent changing up of things in addition to how many senior positions are open at Bioware combined with frequent controversy on the player front. I am concerned that something at the company itself is very out of whack. I don't mean bad decision making but rather it looks like there is a power vacuum, power struggle, or some kind of struggle or shortfall going on in the background, and it's spilling out enough to where it affects how we can play the game.

Though not every recent issue is one that affects me personally, I do take note of how it affects other players. Hopefully, this is just a transition phase and it will even out eventually, but at the moment it doesn't look that way.

I ironically agree with most of what you've said there. This is one of the few changes ( and the crafting changes coming up ) that I actually think are positive. Otherwise I find myself almost always taking an anti Austin and their decision making process stance. I guess looking at it I'm not bias in my opinions though and will call each issue as I see it as opposed to being completely anti everything Austin does as you see the occasional poster be like.

I ironically agree with most of what you've said there. This is one of the few changes ( and the crafting changes coming up ) that I actually think are positive. Otherwise I find myself almost always taking an anti Austin and their decision making process stance. I guess looking at it I'm not bias in my opinions though and will call each issue as I see it as opposed to being completely anti everything Austin does as you see the occasional poster be like.

Honestly when it comes down to it If we take away what I want or what you want or even what anyone wants the biggest problem I have with this personally is that a simple solution to all of this could be made. New packs have two items plus a chance for an additional drop that is a cube. Or perhaps this would bring the value of the pack out of balance... I would even be fine with one new item and the second item either being a new item or a cube. This covers everyone people who want new items, people who want old items, and people like me who want both. Rarely do you have a chance to please everyone and the opportunity is right in front of them.

You confusing with what you want from packs to what you think everyone wants.

This thread is relatively small for a change that some players think is definitely going to fail. It's even smaller when you consider many of the posts are by the same posters such as myself and Xo-Lara's tennis match.

Compare that to an issue that the majority had issue with namely say companion nerf and it seems this is just an issue that the minority of purchasers who DO want new items only have a problem with, clearly not everyone or this thread would be much more filled with vitriol directed at Austin as was the case over the highly unpopular nerf.

The wait and see concept comes from the fact you have no clue of the market and what it wants ... neither do i. We can guess and try support our arguments with the best anecdotal evidence we can but that's about it. We wait and see to see if sales will go up or down but again we won't know that so all we can really wait and see for is if they keep this in place or change it again.

If you want an old item and you're any player not super game rich odds are you going to have trouble finding or affording it. Especially if they were rarely brought back. This change helps this and as you yourself said it will encourage trade and the circulation of credits ... more supply = better prices = more trade.

Sorry this is what I intended to quote

Honestly when it comes down to it If we take away what I want or what you want or even what anyone wants the biggest problem I have with this personally is that a simple solution to all of this could be made. New packs have two items plus a chance for an additional drop that is a cube. Or perhaps this would bring the value of the pack out of balance... I would even be fine with one new item and the second item either being a new item or a cube. This covers everyone people who want new items, people who want old items, and people like me who want both. Rarely do you have a chance to please everyone and the opportunity is right in front of them.

Yup and I'm happy for all sorts of compromise. What I've been arguing though is this change is better than what we currently have where you can only buy one pack from the market and it's only got specific items in it from that specific pack and that's it leaving very little variety.

Even rare items under this system suffer for a value based buyer such as myself ... rarely can you open a hypercrate and have the contents be anywhere near the value the crates are selling for ( around say 5 mill on Harb though lately closer to 6 ) - you'd be lucky to make half back. This is way out of proportion to how packs used to work where a crate would usually come in around the price you paid.

I think a good compromise would indeed be guaranteeing one new item meaning you're guaranteed at least one new item per pack.

Why present an argument then? If you didn't like what someone posted just don't reply to counter it ... the minute you do you've entered an argument willingly. Unless you think you get to post what you want and people shouldn't counter it as they see fit? ;)

Sometime I bother to explain why I say something when someone asks, but when it's clear the other person has a vested interest in not seeing my point of view, whether they agree or not, I stop bothering. Waste your time countering as you see fit, but no one owes you continuing to argue and you certainly will not be wasting my time on an endless argument.

No one even owes you personally a well reasoned argument because you can't actually affect implementation one way or another. At a minimum, all anyone needs to do is state the relevant information to the devs. The relevant information is: I'm not going to buy and this is why. Someone could say "I'm not going to buy because there are no dancing pineapples orbiting the moon." Whether or not there is something the devs can do to adjust, they need to know beforehand that people are not inclined to buy the packs.

You don't think people are posting in this thread to get your approval do you?

Yeah, I had the same impression. Adding it as an extra or limiting it to just one of the drops seemed like such a simple solution, and yet there seems to be resistance to simply making that change and moving on to other things. :confused:

Edited by Xo-Lara

Sometime I bother to explain why I say something when someone asks, but when it's clear the other person has a vested interest in not seeing my point of view, whether they agree or not, I stop bothering. Waste your time countering as you see fit, but no one owes you continuing to argue and you certainly will not be wasting my time on an endless argument.

No you don't owe it, you keep saying you won't do it yet here you are continuing it still ... secretly you love it. ;)

No one even owes you personally a well reasoned argument because you can't actually affect implementation one way or another

Nope not owed a thing but to avoid looking stupid and ignorant it pays to at least endeavor to do so. You don't seem to be interested in even trying to so a rather self explanatory conclusion can be formed there. ;)

At a minimum, all anyone needs to do is state the relevant information to the devs. The relevant information is: I'm not going to buy and this is why. Someone could say "I'm not going to buy because there are no dancing pineapples orbiting the moon." Whether or not there is something the devs can do to adjust, they need to know beforehand that people are not inclined to buy the packs.

I'm not going to buy this for a reason that is the opposite to what is actually occurring ... I would have thought if you actually wanted them to listen to you then you'd at least want to relate to there sense of logic.

You don't think people are posting in this thread to get your approval do you?

Why would I? I'm just agreeing/disagreeing with points made as I see fit. Your points were weakly made and I pointed out why, you've yet to make them any clearer or concise to they are more or less moot now.

No you don't owe it, you keep saying you won't do it yet here you are continuing it still ... secretly you love it. ;)

Ah, and now we get to the core of the issue... You can't tell the difference between a statement for its own sake and and an actual debate. :D Ah, well... one day, you may learn the difference between a statement and debate. You may even learn how to understand examples given to you.

But have fun winning "debates" that you are the only one debating. XD Since you missed the basic premise there's no point in bothering to write the treatise you must need to explain the example; you've already missed the point.

Ah, and now we get to the core of the issue... You can't tell the difference between a statement for its own sake and and an actual debate. :D Ah, well... one day, you may learn the difference between a statement and debate. You may even learn how to understand examples given to you.

I understand perfectly well ... you keep responding trying to justify your position thus you continue this debate. You may not think it's a debate but then you think a lot of things that are blatantly wrong as evidenced by this thread and this "debate".

But have fun winning "debates" that you are the only one debating. XD Since you missed the basic premise there's no point in bothering to write the treatise you must need to explain the example; you've already missed the point.

Yes ok ... I'm the only one debating which is why you keep replying ... nice logic. ;)

I get it, you want the last word, that's cool but I find it too funny watching you dig yourself in deeper and deeper to allow it to occur at this stage. ;)

I understand perfectly well ... you keep responding trying to justify your position thus you continue this debate. You may not think it's a debate but then you think a lot of things that are blatantly wrong as evidenced by this thread and this "debate".

Such as what? :)

I'm more surprised at you feel the need to offer up social commentary rather than be able to defend your own points that get shot down ... :rolleyes:

"Offering up social commentary" is much more enjoyable than trying to have a debate with someone who is obstinate in their approach to a "discussion", when their intent is clear for everyone to see as to not to have a "discussion" but to simply annoy other people posting.

I've yet to see any sensible form of cognitive reasoning within your posting, I've also yet to see you concede that your view is the only view or opinion that is the one that counts. In that scenario there is very little point into entering a discussion with you over any point made on these forums (either good or bad).

You're perfectly entitled to your own opinion, however you are not entitled to disrespect other players on these forums. None of us are. I've attempted to have a reasonable discussion with you in the past, hence why I don't bother to do so, as I already know how you approach a "discussion".

Anyway. That's off-topic.

Back onto the topic at hand, your perspective on this change is one you are perfectly entitled to. Same as everyone else is entitled to their own opinion on this change, as well as informing BioWare that they don't agree with the changes, contrary to your own belief.

I really don't get what Devs are doing to packs and swtors cartel market....

I find it a real shame and IMO a 'VERY' bad game model, that the casual player doesn't have any way to progress reputation from older packs except, if lucky can source some very expensive packs from GTN?

To close off not only items from players new and old in game (because no way to realistically raise rep now) but to deny the grind and access to how you obtain them.... To me is plain madness :mad:

I really don't get it... I use to spend money on packs now and again but no longer buy 'any' cartel coins to spend on packs due to the state of cartel packs...

At least make an in game or cartel method to obtain all rep or remove rep restrictions on items,,,,

:d_confused:

Edited by StarWarsOR

"Offering up social commentary" is much more enjoyable than trying to have a debate with someone who is obstinate in their approach to a "discussion", when their intent is clear for everyone to see as to not to have a "discussion" but to simply annoy other people posting.

Refer the last post I quoted you in this thread in regards to your view on these changes.

"I suspect that the chance to gain Silver / Gold items from the "Grand Chance Cube" will be along the lines of the mount drop rate from the Contraband Slot Machine (which is even less, something like 99999:1). "

I replied to you with anecdotal evidence and experience to how you are most likely wrong in your over inflated guesstimates on drop rates. Being wrong may indeed "annoy" you but that's not my problem.

I've yet to see any sensible form of cognitive reasoning within your posting, I've also yet to see you concede that your view is the only view or opinion that is the one that counts. In that scenario there is very little point into entering a discussion with you over any point made on these forums (either good or bad).

Ok well I'll quote the whole reply for you ...

Well being that they said they are giving it better drop rates for SG items and I actually have experience with opening literally 100's of bronze/grand packs thus I have a decent feel for the drop rates ( more like 1 in 20-30 for gold and 1 in 5-10 ) I would suspect you're figures figures are pulled from your head with no experience on the BSG-Grand drop rates that so ever. 1 in 99999 ... lol. Scare mongering much.

Evidence from experience vs your numbers pulled out of thin air yet I'm the one lacking cognitive reasoning ... right ...

Also I've agreed with many opinions in this thread ... like having a set new item per pack, having this as a bonus item instead of replacing bronze, reverting to the old system ... all other peoples opinions I agreed with so I guess you're wrong again ... does that annoy you?

You're perfectly entitled to your own opinion, however you are not entitled to disrespect other players on these forums. None of us are. I've attempted to have a reasonable discussion with you in the past, hence why I don't bother to do so, as I already know how you approach a "discussion".

Don't scare monger with outlandish, unsupported statements and I won't call it as I see it.

While I'm sure for old players who have bought all the packs, this change sucks. It seems to be directed more at newer or returning players. The grand chance cube can contain any of the old item, so it may be the only chance for players who missed them to get them.

Though, I admit, there's better ways to do it. A guaranteed buy would be best (I tell you right now, there's several items I'd buy right off the market if they were available, like the Monocycle and a few other cool mounts) and the grandmaster packs were nice, if a bit pricey (I did make 20 million credits off a mount I got, so I won't complain too much).

While I'm sure for old players who have bought all the packs, this change sucks. It seems to be directed more at newer or returning players. The grand chance cube can contain any of the old item, so it may be the only chance for players who missed them to get them.

Though, I admit, there's better ways to do it. A guaranteed buy would be best (I tell you right now, there's several items I'd buy right off the market if they were available, like the Monocycle and a few other cool mounts) and the grandmaster packs were nice, if a bit pricey (I did make 20 million credits off a mount I got, so I won't complain too much).

This form of "gambling" will always make them more money due to the nature of people buying more packs to try get what they want as opposed to 1 time direct purchases. I don't see them changing this any time soon though at least they've started to vary the short term direct purchases ... still not many each week though.