GSF needs love

Greezt

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-Wing Alliance only $10.00 on Steam

You forgot the best part: multiplayer works as long as you have working Win32.

I personally prefer the GOG version of everything. I've got quite a library of boxed retail versions of games (many of them Lucasarts) which won't work with Win10. They liked putting Safedisc on everything, and I'm pretty sure The Force Unleashed II had SecuROM with it.

... and the original XvTIE, XWA, Rogue Squadron disks had 16-bit installers which refuse to run at all 64-bit Windows.

Edited by ALaggyGrunt

Personally I find GSF insanely boring, however I do enjoy the space missions and the challenge they can provide :)

But if I want to actually play a Star Wars space game I'll just go get the old GameCube out and play some Rouge Squadron

Do you find applying make up more challenging or easier with a controller? J/K

On a serious note if you find it boring you should keep an eye out for the "Super Serious" events that happen from time to time. You definitely will not have time to get bored in those.

Not at home to check, but the GSF specific XP boosts used to be dirt cheap back in the day. - And the decos still sell well, easy money since you get lots of comms for participating. -As well as the rewards to time ratio is really good.

Only a shame you can't move your requisition between characters like you can with WZ comms.

I'd love to have more GSF characters - but the thought of grinding req, when my main GSF-ers have 10s of 1000s of req doing nothing makes me kinda sad.

But yeah, more maps, and a boost to get people playing would be appreciated.

Not at home to check, but the GSF specific XP boosts used to be dirt cheap back in the day. - And the decos still sell well, easy money since you get lots of comms for participating. -As well as the rewards to time ratio is really good.

Only a shame you can't move your requisition between characters like you can with WZ comms.

I'd love to have more GSF characters - but the thought of grinding req, when my main GSF-ers have 10s of 1000s of req doing nothing makes me kinda sad.

But yeah, more maps, and a boost to get people playing would be appreciated.

It'd be great to have a token for this. I'm sure it would be easiest thing in the world to implement as well.

In perfect world, our Legacy would have an actual, physical Hangar. One where we can see our ships. Climb inside em, and so on. Only thing where GSF truly failed at is in measures of fluff and cake icing that'd connect it to rest of TOR. GSF in not present enough in game world. Only place that genuinely FEELS like GSF is Interfleet transport area(s) of fleet. Even there, you don't get even smallest measure of functionality. (Pvp terminal..)

Latter, in turn ensured snowball-in-hell effect for any GSF Cartel bling. It'd be easier to care how your ship looks, if you were able to look at it at peace.

Edited by Stradlin

It'd be great to have a token for this. I'm sure it would be easiest thing in the world to implement as well.

In perfect world, our Legacy would have an actual, physical Hangar. One where we can see our ships. Climb inside em, and so on. Only thing where GSF truly failed at is in measures of fluff and cake icing that'd connect it to rest of TOR. GSF in not present enough in game world. Only place that genuinely FEELS like GSF is Interfleet transport area(s) of fleet. Even there, you don't get even smallest measure of functionality. (Pvp terminal..)

Latter, in turn ensured snowball-in-hell effect for any GSF Cartel bling. It'd be easier to care how your ship looks, if you were able to look at it at peace.

Y'know, as easy as this would be to implement, it might well be a wise decision for bioware. My reasoning:

- Bioware like money. EA like money. They only care about anyone having a good gaming experience because that makes them money. It's not a charity.

- GSF is not getting support. It's a reasonable inference that it's not making them money (or not very much).

- A common complaint is no sharing across legacy. This is a regular barrier to play. You make a 'GSF character'. You play GSF on that character. There are exceptions, but that's the norm. This means that when playing on the many alts people have, they don't want to go back to the pain and grind of the dreadfully built starter ships, so they aren't queuing for GSF while going about general every day ground missions.

- One of the biggest things that's hurting GSF is the pain of entry. New players get hammered because there's a regular population of vets and the new ships are ****. People don't re-queue. The matchmaker can't do it's job properly. There's a downward spiral in population.

- This adds to GSFs financial failure.

Synthesis:

- Make the hangar tied to faction. People can queue into any rep toon and have access to all they have earned on repside on GSF and the same for Imp.

- Once one toon gets a foothold, people will fly on all toons more.

- The effective population will increase because people will be queuing while on any toon.

- The matchmaker will be able to make more balanced matches

- The games will be more noob-friendly

- The main objection to GSF will be mitigated.

- The population will increase, as it provides massive XP for any levelling toon and a tidy profit for any maxed toon.

- The market for accouterments, decorations and the like will increase, CC profits go up.

- Incentive for Bioware and EA to generate new content increases, maintaining current user base and drawing in more.

- GSF has new life. New players hit much less of a brick wall, vets have more matches against vets, Bioware and EA make more money.

Failure option:

- Make legacy hanger and GSF continues to be a failed investment.

Very easy, low to no risk fix. Essentially at this point it seems they have nothing to lose by making the hangar shared across all toons of each faction.

Edited by MDVZ

Y'know, as easy as this would be to implement, it might well be a wise decision for bioware. My reasoning:

- Bioware like money. EA like money. They only care about anyone having a good gaming experience because that makes them money. It's not a charity.

- GSF is not getting support. It's a reasonable inference that it's not making them money (or not very much).

- A common complaint is no sharing across legacy. This is a regular barrier to play. You make a 'GSF character'. You play GSF on that character. There are exceptions, but that's the norm. This means that when playing on the many alts people have, they don't want to go back to the pain and grind of the dreadfully built starter ships, so they aren't queuing for GSF while going about general every day ground missions.

- One of the biggest things that's hurting GSF is the pain of entry. New players get hammered because there's a regular population of vets and the new ships are ****. People don't re-queue. The matchmaker can't do it's job properly. There's a downward spiral in population.

- This adds to GSFs financial failure.

Synthesis:

- Make the hangar tied to faction. People can queue into any rep toon and have access to all they have earned on repside on GSF and the same for Imp.

- Once one toon gets a foothold, people will fly on all toons more.

- The effective population will increase because people will be queuing while on any toon.

- The matchmaker will be able to make more balanced matches

- The games will be more noob-friendly

- The main objection to GSF will be mitigated.

- The population will increase, as it provides massive XP for any levelling toon and a tidy profit for any maxed toon.

- The market for accouterments, decorations and the like will increase, CC profits go up.

- Incentive for Bioware and EA to generate new content increases, maintaining current user base and drawing in more.

- GSF has new life. New players hit much less of a brick wall, vets have more matches against vets, Bioware and EA make more money.

Failure option:

- Make legacy hanger and GSF continues to be a failed investment.

Very easy, low to no risk fix. Essentially at this point it seems they have nothing to lose by making the hangar shared across all toons of each faction.

I have play GSF here and there not as much as FP's and WZ's but I do enjoy it once in awhile. More importantly I agree with you that the biggest hindrance to me playing on alts is the grind of starting over with each toon and only getting the crappy starter ships.

I got my 20 points in GSF zones in. I have 3 ships, one of which (Blackbolt) has recommended components unlocked and first skill unlocked on each major component (plus a couple on the 2 weapons). I sort of got the basic idea of moving around and shooting things. Looking at the discussions in this forum, it’s just a snowflake on the tip of the iceberg.

Community is quiet.

In my view, some investment will be beneficial on the convenience and Tutorial side.

GSF Daily does fit well with the current vison of the “Pick One Main” game. I do not think there is enough ‘love’ in the piggy to push GSF past its niche status. It does not present fantasy space combat appealingly enough to be a major draw.

Long Version:

I like building up a ship, because, well, I have a hard time leaving off what I have started, and, sure, my Blackbolt is pathetic, but it is my Blackbolt. It's the only thing that I sort of get.

Information overload is real. I’ve read two guides (Dulfy and Stasy’s), a beginner’s tips, and watched a vid, and asked for more tips. I still needed additional tips and reminders from the good folks to get even the basics.

Tutorial is weak, because it does not allow to try different types of the ships and it does not have tips relevant to the GSF (having a “How to Walk in SWTOR” pop-up took the cake). If BioWARE to expend any efforts on GSF, that’s the place to start, allowing every user to take any ship into Tutorial for a test drive, putting an enemy ship there, so you could see how the interface works and how 4 classes of ships are different.

Picking up Daily and Weekly – we should be able to pick it in the Hangar. Going to the Fleet to get a 2-zone daily every day is an unnecessary hassle and a deterrent to get the daily going. This in addition will free up the PvP terminal.

Requisition grind does not bother me; in fact I like it, because tinkering with the ship is the only thing I can do as well as any other guy at this point. Just like in ground PvP, for someone like me, sufficient gear will come faster than sufficient skill. I can however see how annoying it will be to start an alt from scratch. GSF does force a GSF-main mentality very fast. I think the system is more punitive for an accomplished player rather than a new one.

I agree that it is easy to feel like a waste of space and a free kill for the old boys. I have never believed that either a newb or a noob needs the developer kindly placing straw for him/her to fall on. GSF rewards are not win-based, and those willing& able have the tools to succeed. However, after playing 20 points, I did not notice any improvement on my part. I don't know how long it takes to start contributing.

Ground PvP is prettier. You see everyone up-close and personal, you see the movement of real ‘toons’. GSF has squares, circles, and targets.

Ground PvP beats GSF hands down in the emotional impact department. One Operative’s giggle gets more rise out of me than my whole GSF run. But you do need a break from Operative-rage. If anyone is tempted to reply with the: ‘nerf Operatives’, remember that the world is simply a better place if you just don’t.

GSF community is quiet. I have not seen the wholesale upbraiding of the team or white say abuse of the other team/particular players that is common in ground PvP on the Harbinger.

I disliked how much endless ‘doing nothing’ locomotion there is in GSF. I can’t emphasize enough how much I dislike that aspect of it. Being one-shotted would not be as onerous if you could get back faster.

I like the aiming portion of the mini-game, except by some reason even when I aim, and the target is red as supposed to be, and shoot it does not really do anything.

I can’t judge the balance between the upgraded ships. I have no clue about tactics. I am too noob to know how other players kill me.

Edited by DomiSotto

Community is quiet.

In my view, some investment will be beneficial on the convenience and Tutorial side.

GSF Daily does fit well with the current vison of the “Pick One Main” game. I do not think there is enough ‘love’ in the piggy to push GSF past its niche status. It does not present fantasy space combat appealingly enough to be a major draw.

Information overload is real. I’ve read two guides (Dulfy and Stasy’s), a beginner’s tips, and watched a vid, and asked for more tips. I still needed additional tips and reminders from the good folks to get even the basics.

Tutorial is weak, because it does not allow to try different types of the ships and it does not have tips relevant to the GSF (having a “How to Walk in SWTOR” pop-up took the cake). If BioWARE to expend any efforts on GSF, that’s the place to start, allowing every user to take any ship into Tutorial for a test drive, putting an enemy ship there, so you could see how the interface works and how 4 classes of ships are different.

I agree that it is easy to feel like a waste of space and a free kill for the old boys.

However, after playing 20 points, I did not notice any improvement on my part. I don't know how long it takes to start contributing.

Ground PvP is prettier. You see everyone up-close and personal, you see the movement of real ‘toons’. GSF has squares, circles, and targets.

Ground PvP beats GSF hands down in the emotional impact department. One Operative’s giggle gets more rise out of me than my whole GSF run. But you do need a break from Operative-rage. If anyone is tempted to reply with the: ‘nerf Operatives’, remember that the world is simply a better place if you just don’t.

GSF community is quiet. I have not seen the wholesale upbraiding of the team or white say abuse of the other team/particular players that is common in ground PvP on the Harbinger.

I disliked how much endless ‘doing nothing’ locomotion there is in GSF. I can’t emphasize enough how much I dislike that aspect of it. Being one-shotted would not be as onerous if you could get back faster.

I like the aiming portion of the mini-game, except by some reason even when I aim, and the target is red as supposed to be, and shoot it does not really do anything.

I can’t judge the balance between the upgraded ships. I have no clue about tactics. I am too noob to know how other players kill me.

Yeah, the community is quiet. They've "talked themselves hoarse" asking for improvements to GSF for quite some time.

The tutorial is definitely weak and could use a major overhaul.

It's easy to feel overwhelmed from all of the information, but eventually it'll all start to sort itself out.

I don't understand what you mean by "endless 'doing nothing' locomotion." But if you mean not doing anything, or sitting idle. Whether it's dogfighting with an enemy, taking out gunships, sniping with a gunship or guarding a sat, everyone should be doing something.

Nerf Operatives! j/k ;)

As far as the verbal abuses in GSF, I've only seen it on a few occasions. I guess it's because people's hands are too busy to type. But it's probably because a lot of GSF'ers have respect for each other and fly both sides. Why smack talk someone who you may be teamed up with the next time you launch?

With aiming, the further your target reticle is from center, the less accurate it is. So if you're shooting at the edge of the larger circle, then you may as well be tossing pebbles in a hurricane. You also need to take into account the type of ship you're shooting at. Basically it's your accuracy vs their evasion. Scouts have the highest evasion, so they can be a real headache in a dogfight. Especially against a good pilot.

Tactics can vary depending on team and enemy team make up, and the type of match.

I got my 20 points in GSF zones in. I have 3 ships, one of which (Blackbolt) has recommended components unlocked and first skill unlocked on each major component (plus a couple on the 2 weapons). I sort of got the basic idea of moving around and shooting things. Looking at the discussions in this forum, it’s just a snowflake on the tip of the iceberg.

Community is quiet.

Long Version:

I like building up a ship, because, well, I have a hard time leaving off what I have started, and, sure, my Blackbolt is pathetic, but it is my Blackbolt. It's the only thing that I sort of get.

Picking up Daily and Weekly – we should be able to pick it in the Hangar. Going to the Fleet to get a 2-zone daily every day is an unnecessary hassle and a deterrent to get the daily going. This in addition will free up the PvP terminal.

Requisition grind does not bother me; in fact I like it, because tinkering with the ship is the only thing I can do as well as any other guy at this point. Just like in ground PvP, for someone like me, sufficient gear will come faster than sufficient skill. I can however see how annoying it will be to start an alt from scratch. GSF does force a GSF-main mentality very fast. I think the system is more punitive for an accomplished player rather than a new one.

I agree that it is easy to feel like a waste of space and a free kill for the old boys. I have never believed that either a newb or a noob needs the developer kindly placing straw for him/her to fall on. GSF rewards are not win-based, and those willing& able have the tools to succeed. However, after playing 20 points, I did not notice any improvement on my part. I don't know how long it takes to start contributing.

Something for everyone trying to get into Space PvP to remember and know, as the poster above me said. Accuracy vs Evasion works just like Accuracy vs Defense. Also dont forget to turn detailed Tool tips on, so you can see weapon accuracy and damage range scaling, as well as tracking penalties, for more detailed info.

For most the number of games it takes to "start to really compete" is probably above 100 unfortunately. It is rough, most of the "best pilots" have well over 2,000 games under their belts.

It looks as if you're done with GSF... Oh well. I appreciate the fact that you actually gave it a try. If you ever feel the urge to fly again, try asking for a group on the forums. I'm sure most of us would be happy to fly with you.

I don't understand what you mean by "endless 'doing nothing' locomotion." But if you mean not doing anything, or sitting idle. Whether it's dogfighting with an enemy, taking out gunships, sniping with a gunship or guarding a sat, everyone should be doing something.

Out of the context I believe that she means the fly-in from the respawn point into the place where the action takes place. During that flying period, you are damned to do nothing, so to say.

In contrast in ground PvP you are almost directly hopping into the action from the repawn point - and are probably even able to repair your mistake from a few seconds ago. You can't do hat in GSF, because of the long "fly-in" phase.

With aiming, the further your target reticle is from center, the less accurate it is. So if you're shooting at the edge of the larger circle, then you may as well be tossing pebbles in a hurricane. You also need to take into account the type of ship you're shooting at. Basically it's your accuracy vs their evasion. Scouts have the highest evasion, so they can be a real headache in a dogfight. Especially against a good pilot.

To say this is frustrating for a Newbie, to shoot, while the target display is red, and literally doing nothing, is imho an bold understatement.

My personal breaking point - me breaking from GSF - came - among a few other breaking points - when I got frepeatedly one-shotted by scouts despite shooting against other ships and literally doing no damage, or other players doing killstealing.

To say this is frustrating for any Newbbie is an bold understatement.

There you have it, I said toi myself : The Aces do know every trick to get me ASAP; meanwhile I can do literally nothing against them. Or, even worse, if I get someone down to only a tiny fraction of their "health", someone of the Dark Triad is coming in, killstealing.

It feels just utterly frustrating to not be able to do anything. Everything felt so pointless after a while that I quit. Since then, GSF is to me merely an aces' game with the better ones farming the Newbies. But that problem is there in ground PvP as well.

and that's why I always wanted brackets in GSF - a thing the GSF community has always been against (or at least not at all supported). I think I know now why.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Alrick is correct, moving towards the battle takes a long time in GSF. Also, when you got hit and ran away, there is nothing that I know you can do, except for one ability that goes on a long cool down. So, what now? There is no self-heal out of combat. I assume the ship repairs itself slowly.

I understand that it is Accuracy vs Evasion and that there are distance penalties. But in the Tutorial, you come upon an object, you press both buttons down, and the object blows up. In the real zone, you fly towards your target, wait till the thinggies both turn red, indicating that you are in range, press the Wingman ability, switch power to weapons, press down the weapon buttons, and nothing seem to happen, as you follow the red circles, shooting it. I tried shooting at the mines and sensors, and even they do not blow up easily. I have no means to test it in the Tutorial to see if it's my aim, my weapon or if loading up the snowballs would have been more effective.

Until your weapon is drained or you get red stuff indicating that someone is targeting you. At which point you are done shooting, get all power to engines, and haul your sweet b out of there, because you know from experience that if they lock they will destroy you in one shot. Because somehow they only need one.

So, you end up doing nothing but circling around the battlefield, loco-motioning within range to only shoot a few times ineffectually, disengage and run, or hiding most of the death match to minimize the number of times you add to the other team's kill count, because you cannot be within 15K meters from a gunship.

Well, I've watched all these videos of the folks doing something there, but the only thing I was contributing to is to the group having eight people. It just doesn't give you the feeling that you are even playing. You are just watching and leaving your team under-numbered.

I actually probably will play more because I like building the ship. But I can only take so many games of doing nothing and knowing I am doing nothing.

Flying in a group won't change anything. My pugs have strong pilots, and they win the games all the time. It's not like someone is going to fly my ship for me, and I don't want that if it were possible (the companions all try to grab the steering wheel already driving me insane). What I want is to have an option of a dummy to sort things out on my own.

Another thing is, you have to wait till a certain time a day to get GSF pops. That's very inconvenient.

Edited by DomiSotto

Defense/shield/absorb does next to nothing in ground PvP. All you have to do is to watch out for some clearly visible DCDs and target the classes that are susceptible to your damage. Since everyone is pretty close, if you are not hurting one target, you can switch to another in one click of a keybind. Edited by DomiSotto

I have nothing to say about evasion I haven't already said in the forums, but as for flying in a group, it doesn't have to be for the wins. A skilled player could give you tips on better flight and tactics. There are many players that can and are willing to do so on harbinger.

Don't give up is what I'm saying :)

You feel it takes a long time to get back into the action. I guess that would be most pronounced when your own team is winning and pushing the enemy back hard towards their spawn. Fastest way back into the action would be while the enemy team is strong enough to sit at your own spawn, but I guess that's not ideal either :p

It's a good idea to upgrade engines and thruster component (if the ship has it), this will help a lot with general mobility. Try equipping the blackbolt/novadive with booster recharge and shield to engine power converter. Once upgraded and with the right crew you can almost boost endlessly with that :)

That said, in pvp you can get shut behind the respawn door for what feels like an eternity too. And the action is not always right outside the spawn.

In ground PvP, thanks to bolster even a player that cannot grasp the most basic of all basic ideas that you need to put the armor on (yes, I've just popped a vein) before venturing into combat generates damage and healing numbers and can hit the opposition even if it is with a wet noodle. In ground PvP, as soon as the said genius had an epiphany and filled his/her armor slots, maybe did a few rounds on a dummy, s/he is guaranteed to see an improvement in performance.

In GSF I see nothing but zeros and single digits against my name, with a damage nowhere near the 10K that is indicated as a benchmark for the beginner player. It was like that on game one, it was like that on game ten, or whatever it was the game # that the good folks carried me through on the Harbinger for my 20 points, despite me unlocking things on my ship.

I am not qq'ing because OMG, I am BAD, I am qq'ing that there is nothing I can do to prep and do better next time. I am qq'ing because I don't feel that I am participating in GSF when I queue for it.

About the only thing that got better is my booster lasts longer if I do not tap it. Awesomesauce.

Edited by DomiSotto

In ground PvP, thanks to bolster even a player that cannot grasp the most basic of all basic ideas that you need to put the armor on (yes, I've just popped a vein) before venturing into combat generates damage and healing numbers and can hit the opposition even if it is with a wet noodle. In ground PvP, as soon as the said genius had an epiphany and filled his/her armor slots, maybe did a few rounds on a dummy, s/he is guaranteed to see an improvement in performance.

In GSF I see nothing but zeros and single digits against my name, with a damage nowhere near the 10K that is indicated as a benchmark for the beginner player. It was like that on game one, it was like that on game ten, or whatever it was the game # that the good folks carried me through on the Harbinger for my 20 points, despite me unlocking things on my ship.

I am not qq'ing because OMG, I am BAD, I am qq'ing that there is nothing I can do to prep and do better next time. I am qq'ing because I don't feel that I am participating in GSF when I queue for it.

About the only thing that got better is my booster lasts longer if I do not tap it. Awesomesauce.

What weapons are you using on the novadive? It can be an extremely frustrating ship to fly under almost any circumstances and can only really be played in a very niche way effectively. It is not a ship that is designed for damage, survivability or big numbers, but more for quick reactions to nodes and threatening gunships, forcing them to move. That you are being killed quickly does not surprise me, as the scout class is very much reliant on the entire team to perform well (unless it is being build for solo-carrying, which often sacrifices the team formation). You should try grouping with some people on this forum in order to work together, as what is most likely happening is you are expecting to make a big difference alone against a team formation, which can very quickly deal with an unprepared scout player.

GSF is very much a team game, and it is difficult for even the best players to take on well-formed teams on their own and make much of a difference in these situations. To imply that your teammates are winning the game for you is not the reality, as the times that you won were most likely a combination of favorable battlefield conditions created due to the superior co-ordination of your team.

I am glad you gave it a shot, and I know it is not for everybody, but the issues that you raise sound all to familiar. I know I would likely fare just the same as you if I were flying a novadive against a double premade on a server like TRE.

Don't give up just yet! Say hello in the /gsf chat channel, or let us know on the forum when you are flying, I know of a lot of us that would jump at the opportunity to help you out and fly with you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.