Dear TaitWatson: The Companion Romance System NEEDS to be fixed.

Swedguy

I think most of us understand that the issue with the romance options in KoTFE Chapter 9 is not a bug in the sense that it is working the way that it was designed. What we are trying to tell you is that it is poorly designed and resulting in outcomes different from what you intended. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't intend to trick players out of having romances that they wanted.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the problem with romancing Lana.

In Chapter 9 you are talking to both Lana and Theron. A conversation option comes up with "I would like to talk to one of you (flirt)" and Theron is on the screen. Most people thought this meant you were going to flirt with Theron if you took the flirt option so many people didn't flirt. Because of this, we are now locked out of the Lana romance. Is anything being done to fix this?

Unfortunately when it comes to flirts you've heard the old saying about assuming.

What is the "particular option"? And how do we know whether we have successfully chosen it?

The companion romance system is frustratingly opaque at the present time. Bioware, please consider adding some romance indicators to the user interface.

Agreement: This would be very helpful.

Annoyed Contemplation: I have now most likely missed the chance to romance one of them with one of my characters because of there being no indicator.

Statement: I, and I'm sure many others, don't want to choose every single flirt option just to be sure.

Opinion: It's not a good design choice to force that. It may not have been intended, but that's exactly what has happened.

We have seen quite a few reports about the Romance system being broken, and I wanted to clarify a few things. A number of the issues being reported are not, in fact, bugged.

The big one is Iresso. While Iresso is not alone in not acknowledging your romance, he has become the name surrounding the whole situation. In this case, there is a bug – the romance variables for some of the pre-KOTFE companions are being improperly assessed, leading to the appearance that they aren’t romanced even if they are. This fix is scheduled for 4.1 but is not finalized yet...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you Tait for the long awaited and much appreciated response!

I for one am very happy to hear that this is actively being worked on and even scheduled for 4.1. It makes such a difference just to know that you guys are aware of the issue and working on it. The fact you've got a scheduled fix date is even better. It's also a relief to hear that the problem is improper assessment of the romance variables — so the variables haven't been lost or reset, they're still there just not being read properly.

What people are saying about increasing the transparency of the romance system and variables is a very good idea for several reasons imo.

When this fix is released I should finally be able to take my characters through kotfe. Thank you! :D

Edited by Culoph

Hey everyone,

I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know!

Best,

Tait

I have run five different characters through the entire KotFE story. With the exception of one character that didn't want to romance anyone, I flirted with Lana every chance that I had. One character actually got a kiss with Lana. But at the end, in the cantina, I never got the flirt choice with Lana, Koth and Theron. I only had the option to speak to one of them but without a flirt option To me it was perfectly clear that Lana was the one that I should pick to speak to privately if I wanted to start a romance so that was not the issue.

I refuse to run any other character through the story because I truly believe that it is a bug for me. I created a new character with my Level 60 coin in the hope that the romance option will be available, just in case chances with my other characters are lost. I truly hope that something can be done. It has been very frustrating. My four characters that consistently flirted with Lana were the only ones that I wanted to have romance her.

Here is the problem with romancing Lana.

In Chapter 9 you are talking to both Lana and Theron. A conversation option comes up with "I would like to talk to one of you (flirt)" and Theron is on the screen. Most people thought this meant you were going to flirt with Theron if you took the flirt option so many people didn't flirt. Because of this, we are now locked out of the Lana romance. Is anything being done to fix this?

That make me so sad if this is true, I didn't even known I had messed up Lana romance with my Jedi. :( We shouldn't have to pick every flirt option, as shown above mistake can be made. On my trooper he did some flirt but not all but his female crew member declared her feeling, then he said we should just stay friends/teammates. That shut it down. We should continue to get a few options to continue romance if we've at least pick a few flirt choice and ending romances should be very clear to the player. My sister also didn't choose that choice with Koth because she thought it was for Theron, why wouldn't they say flirt with actual name when there is three possible romance options in the same conversation. That was very unclear and were both very upset if we can't continue our romance. They need to make us able to continue these romance even if we skip one flirt options. The only other way romance should end is if companion rejects you because major choices you made in the story that they can't accepted. I hope this is wrong because man that is a huge let down.

I too am worried about if the old companion will be able to romance or if they have been complete locked out. I'm also very upset that one poorly written choice has complete locked me out of my romance. This need to be changed and fixed because it's not our fault they didn't make it clear who the flirt was intend toward. Particular since now we have mixed gender relationships which is why everyone thought it was toward Theron. This type of poor design make me very worried that I could loses other romance options simple because I choose the wrong option. I miss the old romance you could skip a flirt and even flirt with more then one character. Sure you would get called out eventual but you could have fun with it for a while without killing your romance chance. It needs to be clear who were talking to, when we are starting a romance, and when we are ending it. Not to mention just forcing us to choose every flirt option is s poor design in my opinion. Please fix this in later chapter, as I want to romance Lana on my character. Thankful it was my free 60 and I haven't taken my favorite character through due to fear like this. :mad::mad: Edited by SithEmpress

Hey everyone,

We believe that this issue is also affecting pre-KOTFE content as well; please let us know once the fix is live if you notice any issues.

Tait

So.. we are getting another untested fix, and high chance that something else will stop working. Bugoware naver changes..

The letter in and of itself is no big deal (IMO), but I am wondering: if / when the romanced companion returns to the game in person, will this 'not retroactive' issue have irrevocably impacted how they react to our characters?

I'm fine without a letter, but will romanced companions react properly when reintroduced to the players?

This 1,000x

So I am hoping that someone will correct me if I am wrong (preferably a yellow post),

1) All romances in the game will be "fixed" in 4.1 if they were previously broken but you have not yet started Kotfe? please confirm, they are not irrevocably broken if you had level a romance past a certain point i.e. marriage conversation cutscene?

2) Those who had started Kotfe with a bugged romance, wont get the letter they should have gotten during chapter 2 but going forward this romance will still be recognised.

This is how I am understanding the Dev's post anyway and it seems I can officially play again all my characters again whenever 4.1 hits (assuming the fix makes it) but at least I can move forward with my female sorc since apparently there is no bug with Lana (as long as I choose all the flirt options anyway).

Edited by Jedi_riches

The option is the [FLIRT] choice during the cantina conversation. You can flirt with one of the romance companions or simply talk to one of them. Choosing the flirt option leads to a choice where you can lock in the romance (there is no confusion at this point if you have done so; there's an acknowledgement on the Companions & Contacts tab under the chosen romance afterwards). From what Tait has said, if you miss this opportunity, you don't have a second chance.

I truly do not understand what all the confusion is in regards to whom you flirt with in the cantina scene. You are clearly given an option to choose between one out of three people so what difference does it make who the last person speaking is? If the flirt option were meant for Theron and only Theron then you wouldn't get the option with Koth and Lana. Instead, it says that "I want to speak to one of you". If Treek was the last person to speak do you think the flirt option would be with her? I don't think so.

Regardless of the reason - either it wasn't clear or the flirt option never popped up - I would like to see all of us get a second chance to resolve it. Put in an additional cut scene where we have the opportunity again to start a romance.

Edited by PrincessShAmy

I truly do not understand what all the confusion is in regards to whom you flirt with in the cantina scene. You are clearly given an option to choose between one out of three people so what difference does it make who the last person speaking is? If the flirt option were meant for Theron and only Theron then you wouldn't get the option with Koth and Lana. Instead, it says that "I want to speak to one of you". If Treek was the last person to speak do you think the flirt option would be with her? I don't think so.

Regardless of the reason - either it wasn't clear or the flirt option never popped up - I would like to see all of us get a second chance to resolve it. Put in an additional cut scene where we have the opportunity again to start a romance.

The confusion arises because the options are, while staring at Theron:

1. I need to talk to one of you.

2. [Flirt] I need to talk to one of you.

It isn't stated who you flirt with, and in every other wheel where it doesn't say, you flirt with the person visible on the GDMH(1) screen. There's a wheel on Rishi where you can flirt with either Theron or Lana:

1. [Flirt] Theron, sexytalk

2. [Flirt] Lana, sexytalk

3. Something bland.

So here it's clear who get which flirt. In the Chapter IX cantina case, it isn't clear. Perhaps this would have been more clear:

1. [Talk to one of them.]

2. [Flirt] [Flirt with one of them.]

Now it is unambiguously clear that the flirt happens with whomever you choose.

(1) Initialism for "deity-cursed matrilocally incestuous", only more crudely expressed.

Worth noting is that you can also get locked out of romancing the most boring option out of the 3, Koth, by being a darkside douchebag.

If you blow up the reactor and refuse to help the settlers and maybe something else darkside (I was on a darkside run), you can go "I'd like to talk to one of you in private." flirt and he'll be all "Not me, I know that much. I only put up with so much blablabla emo blablabla."

Hey everyone,

We have seen quite a few reports about the Romance system being broken, and I wanted to clarify a few things. A number of the issues being reported are not, in fact, bugged.

The big one is Iresso. While Iresso is not alone in not acknowledging your romance, he has become the name surrounding the whole situation. In this case, there is a bug – the romance variables for some of the pre-KOTFE companions are being improperly assessed, leading to the appearance that they aren’t romanced even if they are. This fix is scheduled for 4.1 but is not finalized yet. What should have occurred is that when you completed Chapter I of Fallen Empire, you would receive a mail from your romance. We believe that this issue is also affecting pre-KOTFE content as well; please let us know once the fix is live if you notice any issues. It is worth pointing out that this change is not retroactive: if you have already started Fallen Empire, you will not receive the letter.

I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know!

As for Courting gifts, we are aware that they are only able to be consumed by Nico Okarr. At first we thought he was just greedy, but we found out it’s because of the change from Affection to Influence, and the Courting Gifts not making the appropriate swap. This is also scheduled for Game Update 4.1.

Best,

Tait

Tait

Could you after 4.1 post those letters for all the companions so the people that missed them could read what they said? Some of them are really good and sucks for people to miss out on them.

What should have occurred is that when you completed Chapter I of Fallen Empire, you would receive a mail from your romance. We believe that this issue is also affecting pre-KOTFE content as well; please let us know once the fix is live if you notice any issues. It is worth pointing out that this change is not retroactive: if you have already started Fallen Empire, you will not receive the letter.

This message alone makes me NOT want to play KOTFE !

I really fear now that EVERYTHING I had been working on interms of romances since 2013 will be ... void

at that point. 2 years for nothing.

( And no, I haven't even begun KOTFE right now - because of oither reasons, though ... )

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I reached out to Tait and Charles Bboyd on Twitter. Charles responded saying our companions will acknowledge past romances in future content! :D

Thanks, Swedguy. So that means even if we didn't get the mail, the romance *isn't* broken? Or there will be acknowledgement on past romances in general?

Thanks, Swedguy. So that means even if we didn't get the mail, the romance *isn't* broken? Or there will be acknowledgement on past romances in general?

There will be acknowledgement on past romances except for the letter.

Me: When the bug is fixed, will affected characters have their companions ackowledge the past romance later in kotfe?

Charles: New content featuring romanced companions should include those companions acknowledging their romances.

Edited by Swedguy