Dear TaitWatson: The Companion Romance System NEEDS to be fixed.

Swedguy

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The confusion arises because the options are, while staring at Theron:

1. I need to talk to one of you.

2. [Flirt] I need to talk to one of you.

It isn't stated who you flirt with, and in every other wheel where it doesn't say, you flirt with the person visible on the GDMH(1) screen. There's a wheel on Rishi where you can flirt with either Theron or Lana:

1. [Flirt] Theron, sexytalk

2. [Flirt] Lana, sexytalk

3. Something bland.

So here it's clear who get which flirt. In the Chapter IX cantina case, it isn't clear. Perhaps this would have been more clear:

1. [Talk to one of them.]

2. [Flirt] [Flirt with one of them.]

Now it is unambiguously clear that the flirt happens with whomever you choose.

(1) Initialism for "deity-cursed matrilocally incestuous", only more crudely expressed.

My apologies. I thought that I saw somewhere that it was presented this way:

After watching a video of the cantina scene on YouTube, I realize that I was wrong. I still don't understand though why I have only gotten the first choice from above (Talk to one of them) on every character despite the fact that I have flirted with Lana at every single opportunity. I thought maybe it was because I made a decision that Lana didn't like. However, my friend always got the romance option regardless of the choices that he made in the story.

So what do I do now?

My apologies. I thought that I saw somewhere that it was presented this way:

After watching a video of the cantina scene on YouTube, I realize that I was wrong. I still don't understand though why I have only gotten the first choice from above (Talk to one of them) on every character despite the fact that I have flirted with Lana at every single opportunity. I thought maybe it was because I made a decision that Lana didn't like. However, my friend always got the romance option regardless of the choices that he made in the story.

So what do I do now?

You may have misread one of my suggestions for how it should be, because this isn't the first time I've suggested making the text reflect the actions, as you typed above.

As for what you do now, unfortunately all you can do is hope they'll give us a break on this one, and that they'll perhaps even admit that they were wrong to structure it the way they did.

I strongly advise you not to hold your breath while waiting for them to do either of those things, though...

Yeah, I'm glad to know when I meet Temple again, she'll remember we got married <3

Yeah? Well my main's a little concerned that Aric Jorgan will remember that she married him. You know, seeing as how she had it off with Theron in SoR (I have both letters to prove it!) AND locked in the Lana romance thing in KotFE.

We believe that this issue is also affecting pre-KOTFE content as well; please let us know once the fix is live if you notice any issues.

So.. we are getting another untested fix, and high chance that something else will stop working. Bugoware naver changes..

I have to agree with this a bit. According to Tait, they believe it. But they don't know it.

So the question, of course, to Tait to ask of the development team is this: Did you guys maybe try testing it out? Who knows, maybe your belief will turn into knowledge in that case. How do you apply a fix for something you only believe may be an issue?

Our response, as players, should be: rather than waiting for all of us to tell you if the thing you believe (not know) is maybe fixed after a release, how about y'all test it before release and minimize even more problems?

I think we can all mostly agree that had this been done in the first place, much of this wouldn't be an issue right now. So learning from that mistake might be a good path to take here. Particularly because, if history is any guide, the fixes will introduce more problems down the road, which simply means more problems on top of the existing problems. That is the primary driver of the current technical debt with this game.

Yeah? Well my main's a little concerned that Aric Jorgan will remember that she married him. You know, seeing as how she had it off with Theron in SoR (I have both letters to prove it!) AND locked in the Lana romance thing in KotFE.

Clap, clap, clap! You just made my day! My female gunslinger married Corso but she has cheated on him left and right. Flirted with both Theron and Lana in SoR but chose Theron in the end. Now in KotFE, she only has eyes for Lana. (Unfortunately, for reasons that I cannot figure out, the romance option did not trigger at the end of Chapter 9 even though I flirted with Lana at every chance possible.)

OK - so you were married to a prior companion, locked away in carbonite for 5 years (their subjective time line). The old spouse is gone/lost to you and you start flirting with Lana and maybe even kiss her (start the romance). Then later your old companion spouse turns up. Legally you're still married (separation by carbonite does not annul the marriage although it's possible that the companion spouse has "moved" on to someone else). So, are we going to be given the option to break it off with Lana or does the start of a romance (is it just a "fling/affair") mean you have (or will) file for divorce of the old spouse and marry Lana at some point?

I think if we have started the romance with Lana (or Theron) and you do get reunited with your spouse companion that you should be given a dialog option to either continue with Lana (and spurn the old spouse companion) or to break it off and return back to your old spouse companion - with maybe an option to admit to an affair or not - e.g., LS points for admitting it, DS points for hiding it).

Clap, clap, clap! You just made my day! My female gunslinger married Corso but she has cheated on him left and right. Flirted with both Theron and Lana in SoR but chose Theron in the end. Now in KotFE, she only has eyes for Lana. (Unfortunately, for reasons that I cannot figure out, the romance option did not trigger at the end of Chapter 9 even though I flirted with Lana at every chance possible.)

Conversely, I hope my Smuggler who is currently with Theron has a chance to once again choose Corso.

Unless Theron stops shopping at the Big & Tall store because his boots and shoulder pads look ridiculously large.

(Unfortunately, for reasons that I cannot figure out, the romance option did not trigger at the end of Chapter 9 even though I flirted with Lana at every chance possible.)

Really, Bioware claim that romance is not bugged... hmm! I really hope not as I was just about to finish Rishi and SOR + and Kotfe with Lana as my sole romance.

What did you do re using Valkorians power? as I have heard comments about it locks Lana out if you use Valky's power (not sure if its too much because I know my knight used the power once when he thought she might die).

Really, Bioware claim that romance is not bugged... hmm! I really hope not as I was just about to finish Rishi and SOR + and Kotfe with Lana as my sole romance.

What did you do re using Valkorians power? as I have heard comments about it locks Lana out if you use Valky's power (not sure if its too much because I know my knight used the power once when he thought she might die).

Once seems to be OK. Nobody's quite clear where the boundary lies, nor if there is some other criterion lurking around that we haven't mapped out yet.

Hi i left game in 3.0 i was married with jaessa, now in 4.0 i'm back in the game , but jaessa dont act like romanced and married but just as the apprentice....

I liked that romance... if it is bugged(it is because i can give her courtin items) and i begin KOFTE , will be it bugged forever?

Hi i left game in 3.0 i was married with jaessa, now in 4.0 i'm back in the game , but jaessa dont act like romanced and married but just as the apprentice....

I liked that romance... if it is bugged(it is because i can give her courtin items) and i begin KOFTE , will be it bugged forever?

I would suggest at least waiting until after the 4.0.4 patch goes live tomorrow. There are supposed to be some romance bug fixes in there.

If I recall correctly, two out of four characters used Valkorian's power - once to save a character and another time to help me in a fight against an enemy (no spoilers here). My friend used Valkorian's power every time and still got the romance option. I'm truly stumped. I don't usually romance companions - with the exception of three. I was really looking forward to romancing Lana. Heck, Theron would be good but not my first choice. Definitely not interested in Koth.

So basically, its not bugged, your old romances don't matter, even if you romanced Lana previously, if you should happen to use Valkorions power to save her, you still can't romance her. What complete and utter ********. It would've been nice to know this before trudging through KOTFE. That's some of the dumbest writing I've heard of in a game.

So basically, its not bugged, your old romances don't matter, even if you romanced Lana previously, if you should happen to use Valkorions power to save her, you still can't romance her. What complete and utter ********. It would've been nice to know this before trudging through KOTFE. That's some of the dumbest writing I've heard of in a game.

Correction: That actually makes sense. She hates Valkorian/Vitiate. He's a manipulative monster. Using his power to save her would be a dumb move and she'd dislike you for giving in to a monster. He's very manipulative and you gave in to his tempting you to use his power. Why in the world would you think that would make her like you?

Addendum: And as it was stated, romancing one in Forged Alliances helps, but isn't required. That is a good thing because none of my characters romanced anyone during Forged Alliances. The real problem is the "you must chose every 'flirt' option". It didn't work that way before KotFE.

Query: What do you do if you chose not to romance anyone until KotFE, but only decide (rp that the character decides) to romance someone only half way?

Example: An Imperial Agent's extreme loyalty to the Empire, brainwashed or not, keeps them from romancing anyone. After unfrozen from carbonite, they find out that after five years their strict loyalty to the Empire isn't as important as it once was, and they decide to pursue a relationship.

Statement: If that singular method in the first nine chapters is the only chance, then that's just not cool.

Faith: I do, however, have confidence that BioWare will either readjust it, and/or give more opportunities.

Highlight: No. This isn't true. My F!Trooper main romanced Aric Jorgan during Chapters One to Three (two years ago IRL! :eek:), then Theron Shan during SoR (all the way, thanks). That meant she got two love letters in Chapter II. She used V's power to save Lana in front of the Gravestone (but didn't use it otherwise), and flirted exclusively with Lana once real-life stuff intruded and disrupted my plans to have her rekindle the Theron romance. She looked at Lana by the pool in the swamp, and I couldn't do it. So she flirted and flirted and flirted, and I picked "2. [Flirt] I need to talk to one of you." instead of "1. I need to talk to one of you.", and she has a "you started a romantic relationship with Lana" in her 'N' panel.

I think it's tied to how many times you use it, and possibly the question of whether you are honest about V being in your head. And maybe if you annoy her by saving the reactor, you can't do it.

But "use V's power to save Lana" does not suffice all by itself to nix the relationship.

My romances "seem" intact, but I'm really feeling for, and nervous for, those of you who's romances went sideways.

...oh. Wait. Locked in a romance with Theron on my Smuggler, and he doesn't seem to care. I won't be crushed if this turns to naught.

From the threads on the forum, and the various issues reported with various companions, the solution doesn't seem as clear-cut as Tait seems to think.

I am also in agreement that the criteria to flirt with Lana/Theron/Koth in the Cantina seems weird. I don't think I spent much time at all trying to Flirt with any of them on any of my characters (6 of 8 now in KOTFE) and yet the option to flirt with all of them was there (except my Inquisitor did not make friends with Koth, because she did nothing about the reactor).

It also seems that the Talk to/Flirt with Option was sufficiently ambiguous that "the reasonable person" could have picked the wrong option.

So... anyways. I'm worried the problem is bigger than they're acknowledging, and I'd agree that the "romance lock in" was inadequate for that particular scene.

...I'm also romancing Senya with one of my companions... well, in as much as I've had a SINGLE flirt opportunity, and she doesn't seem to care for Courting gifts.

Edited by LordFell

...I'm also romancing Senya with one of my companions... well, in as much as I've had a SINGLE flirt opportunity, and she doesn't seem to care for Courting gifts.

Very few companions get influence points from courting gifts, and with one exception (Niko) they are all companions who would get Affection from them without a romance before 4.0 came out.

I suppose that's a reason to get M1-4X - he's one of them.

If I recall correctly, two out of four characters used Valkorian's power - once to save a character and another time to help me in a fight against an enemy (no spoilers here). My friend used Valkorian's power every time and still got the romance option. I'm truly stumped. I don't usually romance companions - with the exception of three. I was really looking forward to romancing Lana. Heck, Theron would be good but not my first choice. Definitely not interested in Koth.

Hm! I know for a fact that my Guardian used Valky's power once to "save" someone and got the romance lana option, so OK next point is was you open with Lana regarding Valky in your head maybe if you lie to her about that it stops the romance?

Sorry to keep asking questions, but since I am looking at a specific romance I am trying to troubleshoot it myself.

I think it's tied to how many times you use it, and possibly the question of whether you are honest about V being in your head. And maybe if you annoy her by saving the reactor, you can't do it.

But "use V's power to save Lana" does not suffice all by itself to nix the relationship.

As I asked above that's what I am thinking too :)

Hm! I know for a fact that my Guardian used Valky's power once to "save" someone and got the romance lana option, so OK next point is was you open with Lana regarding Valky in your head maybe if you lie to her about that it stops the romance?

Sorry to keep asking questions, but since I am looking at a specific romance I am trying to troubleshoot it myself.

As I asked above that's what I am thinking too :)

I don't mind answering your questions. Trust me, I asked my friend the same kind of questions. He has a Dark V Smuggler that used Valky's power every time but still locked in a romance with Lana. This really did not make any sense to me because it sounds like all you have to do is flirt with Lana, regardless of your other choices in the story. Where is the "choices matters" in that? Wouldn't she be scared that I would be like Valky too?

I don't mind answering your questions. Trust me, I asked my friend the same kind of questions.

Ok great, so did you hide the fact that valky was in your head from Lana? I know there is a choice to lie to her about it or come clean straight away?

This really did not make any sense to me because it sounds like all you have to do is flirt with Lana, regardless of your other choices in the story. Where is the "choices matters" in that? Wouldn't she be scared that I would be like Valky too?

This is what Basically what Bioware are indicating but there must be a bit more to it, maybe if you are open about Valkorian she realises you are mostly yourself and she just warns you to be careful? where if you out right lie to her she will think you are more like Valkorian.

Edited by Jedi_riches