*Spoiler* Rey's Force abilities

Supreme_Heretic

My personal take, feel free to correct if you think I'm wrong.

Rey is probably Luke's daughter, hidden away after he left, by party's unknown right now.

Final scene shows Luke standing over what appears to be a grave stone. Best guess, Kylo Ren killed Luke's wife, which is what caused him to snap and disappear.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feeling is that she i s Luke's daughter; although, I certainly wouldn't be shocked if she were Han & Leia's.

Did anyone notice in an early scene where Rey is eating in her "home" that there is a rag doll that looks suspiciously like a rebel pilot uniform?

Another thought I had was whether or not Han was playing the role of Obi-Wan to Rey. My thinking is that she is Luke's daughter, but Leia dropped her off on Jakku after Ben killed the other Jedi students & Luke went into hiding. And then Han & Chewie stayed close to Jakku to watch over her ... i don't know just a thought. About the only weak spot I found in the movie was how coincidental it is that Han & Chewie capture the Falcon.

My personal take, feel free to correct if you think I'm wrong.

Rey is probably Luke's daughter, hidden away after he left, by party's unknown right now.

Final scene shows Luke standing over what appears to be a grave stone. Best guess, Kylo Ren killed Luke's wife, which is what caused him to snap and disappear.

This is along the lines of what I'm thinking, though I didn't recall seeing a tombstone. But I will be seeing the movie again this week so I'll look out for it :)

About the only weak spot I found in the movie was how coincidental it is that Han & Chewie capture the Falcon.

Well Han did say that everybody has been looking for the Falcon, and in fact it's not too much of a stretch at all that they were in that system because they had tracked it there. They even went through who the previous thieves were in the time since it was stolen from him.

I'm thinking Rey is one of the kids of Owen Lars's and Shmi Skywalker's kids. They never mentioned if they had kids before Anakin went ham on the Tusken Raiders.

I don't think Luke should have a kid.

Off topic: best movie ever for me.

I'm thinking Rey is one of the kids of Owen Lars's and Shmi Skywalker's kids. They never mentioned if they had kids before Anakin went ham on the Tusken Raiders.

I don't think Luke should have a kid.

Off topic: best movie ever for me.

While I disagree on the idea of Luke not having a kid, they did make her a great pilot, mechainc and awesome with the force...sounds like a Skywalker!

she is basically Luke Skywalker and Han Solo merged into one young tough galaxy saving female protagonist per the norm these days

We had Luke being known as a great pilot and he did go about fixing the droids, even if his mechanical abilities where never touched on.

Heroes of stories are often larger than life, not to mention they don't tend to be lacking in intelligence, so I don't see it as much of a stretch that she's awesome. Heroes tend to be awesome.

Everyone I watched TFA with were surprised how fast Rey was able to grasp her powers and use them without any training. Luke didn't try force persuasion after seeing it worked on a stormtrooper in Mos Eisley

Luke destroyed the Death Star with a force instinct torpedo shot but he couldn't force lift a Lightsaber to him until Empire Strikes Back. Rey out-lifted a lightsaber beating Kylo Ren for it.

I suppose she learned a lot from resisting and reverse reading Kylo Ren's mind when he tried to probe her. Only explanation how she was tipped off on so many force powers so quickly. Kylo Ren was trained by Luke originally.

Edited by Falensawino

Everyone I watched TFA with were surprised how fast Rey was able to grasp her powers and use them without any training. Luke didn't try force persuasion after seeing it worked on a stormtrooper in Mos Eisley

Luke destroyed the Death Star with a force instinct torpedo shot but he couldn't force lift a Lightsaber to him until Empire Strikes Back. Rey out-lifted a lightsaber beating Kylo Ren for it.

I suppose she learned a lot from resisting and reverse reading Kylo Ren's mind when he tried to probe her. Only explanation how she was tipped off on so many force powers so quickly. Kylo Ren was trained by Luke originally.

Fal, I like this theory. There was a lot gleaned from their mind connection, I'm sure. I still maintain she has natural Battle Meditation skill like Bastila, and I'm still holding out for double sabery goodness once she builds her own weapon. I can hope! Lol

I would be surprised if she doesn't end up with a double Saber seeing as how she is already gifted and comfortable with a staff. Also Darth maul was such a fan favorite because of looks but mostly because of the double Saber fighting style. Giving Rey a double Saber would make a lot of fans happy and it would be a way to pay some homage to the prequels. It would remind fans about the good part of the prequels, ie light saber fights, and not all the bad stuff, ie everything else, which would be good for Disney since they own the prequels now too and are gonna have to box them back up at some point with the episode 1-9 DVD blue ray collections Edited by magnashear

I'm sure she'll get a double saber.

I doubt she'll be good for the rest of the series. The novelization already hinted at the dark side reaching for her, and someone/thing in her ear whispering to finish Ben off. Next movie probably a turning point. She's tough but Snoke clearly felt she was breakable.

She's def Luke's daughter. When Ben probed her mind he mentions a world with blue waters and a lone island.He had no frame of reference and figured it was something she longed for - well lo and behold, that's exactly the planet type and location where she finds Luke.

Plus all her interactions parallel luke. She refers to the Falcon as garbage, Han offers her a job, she's told her family isn't coming back but maybe she can find what's left 'out there' Every time someone asks about her the scene changes, like they know but aren't telling her, And also Anakin's saber answers to her rather than Ben. (per novelization, it wasn't that she was 'stronger' it chose her instead)

I doubt Ben will remain evil past the next movie as well. mostly because i sincerely doubt they will have Han Solo's only son remain a pure antagonist, and also because his character information mentions that his duality is central to his character. It'd be a good way to turn expectations on their head for sure, although it may not be accomplished in a 2 hour runtime.

Edited by maxetius

I'm sure she'll get a double saber.

I doubt she'll be good for the rest of the series. The novelization already hinted at the dark side reaching for her, and someone/thing in her ear whispering to finish Ben off. Next movie probably a turning point. She's tough but Snoke clearly felt she was breakable.

She's def Luke's daughter. When Ben probed her mind he mentions a world with blue waters and a lone island.He had no frame of reference and figured it was something she longed for - well lo and behold, that's exactly the planet type and location where she finds Luke.

Plus all her interactions parallel luke. She refers to the Falcon as garbage, Han offers her a job, she's told her family isn't coming back but maybe she can find what's left 'out there' Every time someone asks about her the scene changes, like they know but aren't telling her, And also Anakin's saber answers to her rather than Ben. (per novelization, it wasn't that she was 'stronger' it chose her instead)

I doubt Ben will remain evil past the next movie as well. mostly because i sincerely doubt they will have Han Solo's only son remain a pure antagonist, and also because his character information mentions that his duality is central to his character. It'd be a good way to turn expectations on their head for sure, although it may not be accomplished in a 2 hour runtime.

Oooo...I like the idea of seeing Rey and Ben teaming up against Snoke in a prequel level saber fight! Or Rey and Ben against another Snoke apprentice who won't be known until next movie perhaps!

I am 100% sure Rey is a Skywalker, which no idea. I hope she's Lukes Daughter, which give me hope for Mara Jade.

That said, why has no one been talking about the possibility that Finn is force sensitive as well.

Apparently in The Disney infinities 3.0 game they have Kylo Ren speak the line "face me, cousin!" to Rey, so it's pretty confirmed that she's Lukes kid.

I hope Finn isn't force sensitive. He pretty much got his *** handed to him in every situation where he touched that Lightsaber

Even better thing to discuss, would be discussing HOW she got any powers to begin with? Ok I will bite on the whole "she is force sensitive" explanation.

Obviously was Luke, but he only started to show some real actual powers, after being guided by Obi-Wan and Yoda. They didint just appear out of nowhere..

He could barely force pull his own lightsaber at the beginning of ESB, but somehow Rey can force pull the same saber, away from Kylo who we already knew could force pull a human across the damn room in under one second??

And dont give me the" he was emotionally and physically wounded", cause that is just nonsense. And why wasen't his blaster wound closed by the intense heat from the blaster shot closed anyway?

So much crap in this movie, and Reys powers is just one of them..

Even better thing to discuss, would be discussing HOW she got any powers to begin with? Ok I will bite on the whole "she is force sensitive" explanation.

Obviously was Luke, but he only started to show some real actual powers, after being guided by Obi-Wan and Yoda. They didint just appear out of nowhere..

He could barely force pull his own lightsaber at the beginning of ESB, but somehow Rey can force pull the same saber, away from Kylo who we already knew could force pull a human across the damn room in under one second??

And dont give me the" he was emotionally and physically wounded", cause that is just nonsense. And why wasen't his blaster wound closed by the intense heat from the blaster shot closed anyway?

So much crap in this movie, and Reys powers is just one of them..

rather then dismiss it as crap, why not just wait for episode 8 to come out. it's possiable Rey is the most powerful force user ever. she might even dwarf her grandfathers power

Edit: BTW can we get a fourm moderater to change this topic's title to hide the spoiler?

Edited by BrianDavion

rather then dismiss it as crap, why not just wait for episode 8 to come out. it's possiable Rey is the most powerful force user ever. she might even dwarf her grandfathers power

Edit: BTW can we get a fourm moderater to change this topic's title to hide the spoiler?

Heya Brian. I believe the answer is rather simple why she found using force abilities so easily. She was being trained as a Jedi. I believe she is Luke's daughter. This was evident when she picked up Luke's lightsaber after it called out to her.

How then is it she doesn't know she has powers until it happens? We only need to look to KOTFE for that. Val locked up his daughter's ability and mind. Is this not possibly what was done to Rey before she was abandoned/hidden on Jakku? She only relived her past after handling Luke's lightsaber. That was a very powerful moment in this movie.

When she was able use her abilities as the manifested came about because Ben tried to use his abilities on her. She then turned the tables on him as though she became fully aware of her force sensitivity. The first lesson all Jedi are taught is about meditation and calming ones self. We see she did this when she force persuaded the Stormtrooper and again after Ben said he would train her in the force.

In my opinion the simplest conclusion as to how she can use the force is she was trained at a very early age to understand it and how to make it benefit herself. This is what they are referring to as 'The Force Awakens.' Snork mentions this to Ben...he felt it too. Just my opinion on this. I think it fits perfectly in the scope of things.

And dont give me the" he was emotionally and physically wounded", cause that is just nonsense.

Well, that is the reason the narrative of the movie gave. It if doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you.

Some people don't buy the idea that a bunch of teddybears could wipe out an army of trained soldiers; some people don't buy that a nine-year-old kid could blow up a battlecruiser; some people don't buy that having the high ground would mean squat in a Jedi duel. Others are fine with all those things.

Suspension of disbelief breaks for different people at different points - even in Star Wars.

I think her powers are fine, and I buy into them wholeheartedly. My beliefs, and my hope, is that she's going to be one of the strongest heroines because she can do what those in the past are unable to do, and thats to be completely "centered" and allow the Force to move through her w/out trying to influence the Force on her own to her own needs.

It would be nice if we can get a heroine that can stand on her own and be just as powerful if not more so than the evil she's going to face. Thats always been my issue w/comics, and other theme style stories. The bad person is always 2, 3, 4x as powerful as their counter part good person. So the good person requires 5 allies to defeat one person. Its no wonder the evil/bad people take bad when bad is sooo powerful !!

Rey's powers= Rey opening herself up to the force and let the force flow and guide her, her abilities are not unbelievable. The Force is not magic. The Force is an entity and it awakened in Rey and it became her ally and guided her. "do or do not. there is no try" and rey did