Addons and Mods

samht

Mods to help with the UI, or to change the appearance of it I don't mind. What I would hate to see, though it will probably show up eventually, are the mods you 'have to have' to play the game. Being forced to use a mod to be able to participate in all aspects of the game is not something I want to see. I also would like to avoid seeing DPS/HPS meters and Gear ranking addons. Other than that, I'm not against them, I would just prefer to be able to continue to contribute to my guild in end game without having to change my play style because the 'meters' say I'm not doing it right.

This is my opinion only.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a no addons kinda person :D Some are useful but say yes to one and you have to accept all. I hope UI improvements will be done by BW.

Learning mechanics and adjusting playstyles imo rather than expecting or needing something to do it for you. One button mashing gaming bores the hell out of me at least.

Let's see .

- No fly text

- No quest markers

- No casting bar

- No target system

-No way to resize chat bar

-No option to put a second bar under your main action bar

The list can go on a lot of these things used to be 'so called add ons' in some games.

Yet here you are enjoying them letting these add ons do your job.

The only difference is they are build in so that's why you aren't whining about them

But If the casting bar would not be in game and I would ask for an add on you would probably be against it as well.

Same goes for fly text, used to be an add on in some games.

The game lacks a lot of features, I rather have add ons that fix them than waiting for Bioware.

We're talking about a company that could not design a proper UI after six years.

They had tons of good examples how to do it and FFXIV how not to do it.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Not any time soon.

And probably not at all.

I used to think the same but there is a lot of "Curse Gaming" involved with SWTOR lately (see Darth Hater)and that smells addons coming. I also heard, but don't take it as granted, that they have already signed a deal with curse to develop addons but that's all I know so far...

Mods to help with the UI, or to change the appearance of it I don't mind. What I would hate to see, though it will probably show up eventually, are the mods you 'have to have' to play the game. Being forced to use a mod to be able to participate in all aspects of the game is not something I want to see. I also would like to avoid seeing DPS/HPS meters and Gear ranking addons. Other than that, I'm not against them, I would just prefer to be able to continue to contribute to my guild in end game without having to change my play style because the 'meters' say I'm not doing it right.

This is my opinion only.

But you aren't doing it right. Maximum DPS is a quantitative value. Why would you want to hide that from yourself? Some guilds don't care if you don't bring everything to the table. But I'd prefer Bioware have the option to make tightly tuned encounters. In order for that to happen we need meters.

The simple fact about the dps meter argument is this:

If you do not know you are doing maximum damage, that others are doing maximum damage or even effective dmg, and healing; then you do not know what is going on.

You could have an ops group of 16 ppl and 2 of them be literally afk other than hitting a key or two so they look busy and you will never know.

Never.

Not to mention how will you find out what rotation works best for your build, and playstyle. People say it affects your playstyle, but in reality it helps you find your playstyle. You can play a warlock or mage 2 or 3 different ways and some people may say you are doing it wrong, but with a dps meter you can prove to them that your way is right.

So when someone tells me that an kinetic sage is the only build I should use for dps, and I want to play balance what do I say? What do I say when they prevent me from joining their groups because they don't agree with me based on nothing other opinion? I can't say look at these actual numbers....

because those numbers don't exist.

If they do not allow combat log meters they are gimping this game in a deal-breaker way.

Does anyone know if when or at all Swtor will allow user mods and add-ons. I really think that the game wil benefit from user add-ons and mods. Healing will be easier; DPS meters are useful in raids and hardmode flash points.

You need an addon to heal? can't you see the groups health bar on the left of the UI?

You need a meter to tell you how much damage you're doing? can't you feel it from the flow of the fight?

You are a lazy gamer looking to ruin the experience for others who want a challenge, i suggest leaving the hard flashpoints and raids to the players, you obviously haven't got the skills required if you need aids.

But if you still want to take part in these so called hard game modes i'll give you a pro tip, practice makes perfect :csw_falcon: it's that simple.

You need an addon to heal? can't you see the groups health bar on the left of the UI?

You need a meter to tell you how much damage you're doing? can't you feel it from the flow of the fight?

You are a lazy gamer looking to ruin the experience for others who want a challenge, i suggest leaving the hard flashpoints and raids to the players, you obviously haven't got the skills required if you need aids.

But if you still want to take part in these so called hard game modes i'll give you a pro tip, practice makes perfect :csw_falcon: it's that simple.

You're full of yourself but we both know you can't tell in a 16 man raid how people are performing unless you're a communistic raider.

You're full of yourself but we both know you can't tell in a 16 man raid how people are performing unless you're a communistic raider.

Hardly, just don't see the point in riding a bike with stabilizers when you shouldn't need them anymore, takes the fun out of it.

there will be NO frikkin user made addons.. BW has already made a statement about this..

They will themselves put in certain things that they think will benefit the game and at the same time not dumb the game down to kindergarden level like your precious WoW did (hate WoW with a passion)

the problem with addons is not everyone uses them or even wants to use them because they are from 3rd party sites... and doing so over someone who doesn't use them is an unfair advantage. I rather see Bioware make their own changes to the game itself and allow for more customization without resulting in people trying to find 3rd party mods

there will be NO frikkin user made addons.. BW has already made a statement about this..

They will themselves put in certain things that they think will benefit the game and at the same time not dumb the game down to kindergarden level like your precious WoW did (hate WoW with a passion)

were have they said this ? i cant see it link plz

were have they said this ? i cant see it link plz

Ill look it up and post it here. a friend linked it for me on skype.

It was a interview with Stephen Reid. and he said main reason there will be NO player made addons is because not everyone will or can use addons and the game will not be fair to them.

So by having them implemented into the game everyone have the samme opportunity.

With that said.. BW will add some stuff themselves

It was a interview with Stephen Reid. and he said main reason there will be NO player made addons is because not everyone will or can use addons and the game will not be fair to them.

So by having them implemented into the game everyone have the samme opportunity.

Please do search before making false statements, they sayd no Addon support on game release, and in latest redid with Main Game Developer he stated that they will add this function in near future.

at the VERY LEAST they should allow a worldoflogs type of add-on that will track stats off-site. I could not imagine any meter-haters to be up in arms about that...a good compromise?

World of Logs doesn't even need an AddOn to work :) WoW has built-in functionality to dump the combat log to a text file after a buffer has been filled - The WoL client then periodically reads from said text file to generate its parses.

Presumably BioWare will include the same functionality once we actually have a combat log, so a SWTOR equivalent of WoL would be up and running very shortly afterwards, modding API or not :D

Edit: Typos

Edited by ajjw

Oh man.... please no MODS!.... well UI mods would be fine...but nothing else. Make people play the game on the same level. Please. And please keep macros out too.... don't make me search the web for macro's and mods just so I can compete. I am enjoying the game now, and don't need any mod/macros to screw with it.

If BW provided at least half decent UI customization the need for user mods would be removed. I have no clue how any modern MMO could be go live without at least having moveable windows, quick bar customization and chat controls. It is clear this is BW's first MMO and they need to provided some basic UI customization soon.

As for the whole mod debate. WoW might have taken it to far but current BW is at the completely other end of the scale. I thought Aion was too restrictive and even they have better UI support than BW...

No. That's not what they are saying. There will be addons, just not on launch.

Oh man.... please no MODS!.... well UI mods would be fine...but nothing else. Make people play the game on the same level. Please. And please keep macros out too.... don't make me search the web for macro's and mods just so I can compete. I am enjoying the game now, and don't need any mod/macros to screw with it.

In order to 'make people play the game on the same level', you'd have to standardize all hardware, ban third party software like Vent/Mumble, and find a way to ensure everyone's latency/fps fell within acceptable norms.

Essentially, if I can't have Bagnon/Bartender/Grid/Clique, you can't have Vent/Naga/etc.

A dps.meter doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage. If you read and understand my post 3 pages ago you would understand that it makes the game more fair. People already have opinions about dps specs and who does better healing, and its all based on opinion and bias and not fact. Without a combat log parse or meter thereis no way to fairly judge performance.

I found addons to be a nightmare in WoW. It took way to much time to research, manage and update them all. And then you'd get, "You can't raid unless you have X, Y and Z mods.

If something is needed it should be incorporated into the games UI. I agree somethings are missing, but they should be added as options to the games UI by BioWare.

About closing the "This game needs macros and addons badly" thread and referring to this thread instead:

I have no problem with that per se (I don't even agree with the OP), but if it's such an issue for you that the players are starting more than one thread about the same subject, then maybe you should rather get the forum search function going again so that we can actually find these existing threads instead?

I mean, how long are you going to maintain that the search function has been disabled "temporarilly for back-end maintenance"? It's been what - two weeks now?