scammer got me

jstankaroslo

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Pretty much. They could fix their crappy interface and save a lot of people a great deal of grief.

Well, except for the douches posting that stuff and getting rich from it. I'm sure those would be greatly disappointed by such a change. :p

My personal view, as a long time GTN seller, buyer and indeed flipper, is that these type of things are done on purpose, in order to deceive someone else into purchasing their goods, therefore, prices actually being irrelevant, it is a scam.

That said, how many warning boxes do people actually need? Are 2 not enough? Would, 3, 4 or 5 be enough?

Caveat emptor.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

My personal view, as a long time GTN seller, buyer and indeed flipper, is that these type of things are done on purpose, in order to deceive someone else into purchasing their goods, therefore, prices actually being irrelevant, it is a scam.

That said, how many warning boxes do people actually need? Are 2 not enough? Would, 3, 4 or 5 be enough?

Caveat emptor.

another warning box is not the way. Removing the decimals off the GTN is. And this should be a relatively simple fix.

Would make scammers' and credit sellers' lives much harder

Caveat emptor.

I'm sorry, but all I have seen so far in 18 pages, is someone who lost their in game money because they failed to pay any attention to what they were buying. That's not scandalous - that's pure stupidity and rushing to failure. Contained within these 18 pages of disgust is cleverly (not) disguised re-direction of fault back at the person selling item(s). What did you honestly expect from a currency system set in this game?

As far as the GTN goes, yeah, I agree it is a clunky interface, but still able to be used appropriately. Sorting in columns is still able to be done, and the FIRST thing I ever do when I want to price things on GTN, is sort lowest to highest amounts. This used to be by default oh so long ago, and then it changed literally overnight for no good reason that I can think of.

Warning labels are put on things because people do stupid things. You can only warn and do so much.

Stop being stupid. Stop rushing to failure.

The end.

so i jsut transferred from jung ma to the ebon hawk, but on jung ma there was a dude who listed a bunch of stuff for insanely hi prices...but he wasnt a ***hat he was a saint see his character name was sort'otherway. it is people like him that really help me see past the general garbage that passes for humanity now a days.

i suggest that , those people who are up in arms about these scammers, create a separate account or toon and do the same thing! that way we police our own people and prevent silly things like this from happening.

Use unit prices, always use unit prices. Also use the sort feature, sort a few times to make sure you have the cheapest on top. This isn't a scam, as all information was available to you at the time of purchase, you just weren't paying attention.

Use unit prices, always use unit prices. Also use the sort feature, sort a few times to make sure you have the cheapest on top. This isn't a scam, as all information was available to you at the time of purchase, you just weren't paying attention.

Hiding information is not required to make it a scam. And the words matter less than the intent of the seller.

A legit transaction happens when a willing buyer and a willing seller do a deal and each get what they expected.

In this case, the buyer does not get what they expect, regardless of what was presented in the listing.

A good example are the "empty box" listings on eBay. People will list an empty PS4 box for $150, hoping that people will miss that it does in fact say it is an empty box. Same thing as the GTN nonsense, except that you're not stuck, PayPal WILL help you out, you do have right of recourse and the seller isn't allowed to do such nonsense.

Still not a scam.

Every tool needed is there,they were not used or ignored.

Being tired,high,drunk,distracted is no excuse.

It's 100% buyer error.

If you can't tell the difference between

and

Don't blame the seller,blame your math teacher for not doing their job.

last year i bought a nice Chrysler 300 touring for about 14k. it had about 52k miles on it adn was a 2008 model. nice car. took it for a test drive and put ti through a run. car ran great, drove smooth over bumps, everything checked out and my mechanic felt it was in pretty good condition considering its age. I had bee driving a Chevy Cavalier since 1998 and on the way home from work i had to push it a bit in order not to be run under the wheels of a semi. well, she had enough that day adn the engine crashed out. brought it to the mechanic and there was nothing to do. sad day.

so I get back to the dealership, check the reports on the car (regular maint, single owner, lowe millage, no accidents,etc), and began the process. this is the part i suck at, honestly, and while i accepted a higher interest rate than i should have (put close to 4K down), i still felt confident that we both made out well with the sale.

one week later i am sitting the cab of a tow truck as we bring the car back to the dealer. transmission blew. one week later i get it back. two weeks after that we find that the alternator was scrap. a few months later we had some other piece (dont remember anymore..it was minor, but something my mechanic said should hae last a while. something with teh steering wheel. Summar arrives and i notice the car isnt cooling very well anymore. after a week, its hotter in my car than outside. bring it by and find out that the AC is broke.

it was bout this time that my mechanics partner strolls in and pokes around. he asks if he could keep it for a day to look things over because he felt it was odd that so many pieces were broke (something with my back drivers side tire was creaking) on a car that appeared to be in great shape (based off of the service records).

longer story short: it appears that who ever bought the car from the original owner decided to swap out good condition parts for less than ideal parts. they would make a nice profit on the good parts and would be able to dump out crap parts in a car they were fleet selling to a seller/dealership. they went and found two additional parts and just replaced them without charging me. i dont take my cars anywhere else so it will work out. However, i and still working the amount it will take me to replace the AC unit...1100+. ironic part: the AC in my Cav went out in 2006 and was more expensive to replace than the car. AND, it was determined that the garage i used while my reg mechanic was out of the country, did the work in replacing one of my oil lines, but didnt seal it properly. by the time the cav blew...it was out of oil. i should have waited.

in the end I am not sure who actually got scammed, but i am leaning towards myself. at any time before the car changed hands (Three times, really) this could have happened. owner-buyer. buyer-dealership. dealership-me. as far as i know, the original owner worked it out before selling. dont know. I just know that I most likely bought the only car on that lot with a broken AC which now has me driving a car since 2006 without an ac...in the south. granted, i grew up with cars NOT having AC by default, so, meh.

TL;DR im not saying it is aliens, but, its aliens.

EDIT: for the discussion about the GTN: there are degrees of Culpability on both sides of the transaction. however only one of them intentionally set the transaction up with intent. the other simply didnt catch that intent before it was complete. one was malicious and the other lacks perception.

Edited by Qouivandes

I am prepared. Just we'll see who possess decent ethics here on who doesn't, won't we? :)

I even stopped to watch this price for a bit, it looked legitimate to me. Somehow it wasn't.

Again: nothing big happened. I just wish I could stop seeing a sleazy, greedy little **** of a griefer every time I think "Star Wars fan", or "video games enthusiast". :(

The seller, unless they made a mistake, is a rat turd. But those of us who weren't the seller aren't unethical for pointing out that it's not a scam and it's all on you. Scam isn't your word to bend, it already exists. I got "scammed" once, and it was my fault for it happening by not paying close enough attention.

Suck it up buttercup, you're not a victim enshrouded in the the holy light of justice. Just someone who should've checked again before clicking buy.

Edited by Joesixxpack

And this isn't common knowledge.

Well, the neat thing about that is it goes for you too. You also aren't a mind reader and you're totally right that I can only speak for myself, and it's my opinion based off of logic and years of using the GTN that these people are scamming. :) Pretty obvious if you aren't just trying to be edgy, play dumb, and/or justify scamming people.

It is OBVIOUS. There isn't much room for "well gee, maybe someone priced this for some totally legitimate reason" when the prices of highest and lowest are odd numbers and exactly matched (3,500.45 lowest and 3,500,450 highest). Come on, don't insult your own intelligence by believing that.

How in the world can someone mistake 3,500,450 for 3,500.45?(btw, the only time the decimal shows up is when it's on the Unit Price side, so even if someone could make that mistake, the full price would be vastly different)

Still waiting for you to tell us how a scammer got you, e.g., how someone made you pay more credits without your knowledge until after the sale went through (assuming you're not making the whole thing up for some bizarre reason).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yass! Yes. Turn this into Matlock episode plz. :D

TL;DR im not saying it is aliens, but, its aliens.

EDIT: for the discussion about the GTN: there are degrees of Culpability on both sides of the transaction. however only one of them intentionally set the transaction up with intent. the other simply didnt catch that intent before it was complete. one was malicious and the other lacks perception.

^ Holy crap that sucks, sorry to hear about the car issues... Glad to hear the dealer at least tried to help, most aren't perfect, but many are better than their reputation (well earned years ago) would suggest.

Your edit that I quoted is quite true relating to this GTN situation... the seller is malicious, it is "Res ipsa loquitur", or "the thing speaks for itself"

---

Anyone who says otherwise has basically said "don't bother me with the facts, my mind is already made up". But if this were real money, in a real court case, the seller would lose very quickly and all the defenders of the seller here would all be wrong.

But if this were real money, in a real court case, the seller would lose very quickly and all the defenders of the seller here would all be wrong.

Having spent more of my life in crim and civil courts than I could possibly remember: lel.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Having spent more of my life in crim and civil courts than I could possibly remember: lel.

Yeah, he's completely wrong about this. There's no deception here.

The price was listed, he clicked to buy it, a second window asked him 'again' if he was sure that he wanted to buy the overpriced crap and he clicked yes.

If a case like that went to court, the judge would rip him a new one and throw it out as frivolous.

The price was listed, he clicked to buy it, a second window asked him 'again' if he was sure that he wanted to buy the overpriced crap and he clicked yes.

If a case like that went to court, the judge would rip him a new one and throw it out as frivolous.

Because "I wasn't paying attention" is not a good legal argument for bringing a case of buyer remorse to court.

^ Like I said, you don't want to be bothered by the facts, you've got your mind made up.

But you are wrong, you're ignoring the deception, and that's fine, you are free to do that.

^ Like I said, you don't want to be bothered by the facts, you've got your mind made up.

But you are wrong, you're ignoring the deception, and that's fine, you are free to do that.

There's no deception. Words have meaning. The price was listed there, plain as day and the buyer didn't pay attention to what it said.

Try going to a judge with a civil case and claiming that the seller tacked on a couple of extra zeros that you didn't see until after you'd paid him. See how far that gets you.

The situation is not as cut and dry as you want to make it.

Prove that the person had intended to scam them out of money.

In court you have to prove the intention of the person setting the price was to scam someone and sometimes that is not as easy as you want to make it sound.

The other side can also show that if the price is in writing for all to see and the person brought said item, the person purchasing the item knew what the price was.

A price that is set in writing does not meet that burden of proof needed in a court of law. If you have proof that the price was changed prior to the person coming in to purchase something or in the case of an hurricane, tornado and likes and the price was changed because of that, then yes a person could be convicted in Court.

The situation is not as cut and dry as you want to make it.

Prove that the person had intended to scam them out of money.

In court you have to prove the intention of the person setting the price was to scam someone and sometimes that is not as easy as you want to make it sound.

The other side can also show that if the price is in writing for all to see and the person brought said item, the person purchasing the item knew what the price was.

A price that is set in writing does not meet that burden of proof needed in a court of law. If you have proof that the price was changed prior to the person coming in to purchase something or in the case of an hurricane, tornado and likes and the price was changed because of that, then yes a person could be convicted in Court.

Yes, 'gouging' is a thing. You can't do that. It's not applicable here, though.

This is very much a case of having a price put in writing 'and' the cashier double-checking with the buyer to see if they really want to buy that overpriced bit of crap, and the buyer reaffirming their desire to spend way too much.

This is just a case of the buyer not paying attention. The seller plainly has intentions on taking advantage of inattentive buyers, but at the end of the day, all I can say is......caveat emptor.

what deception? maybe the poster had a stuck key and it added too many zeros, and instead of cancelling it just decided to let it expire naturally. Until someone bought it.

you claim those of us "defending" it lack critical thinking. I think you have that backwards. Those of us who didn't push the buy it button on an obviously overprice item have the skills to actually use the GTN. Those that purchase items like this and claim it was anyone's fault but their own are the ones lacking the necessary skills.

ignorance is not an excuse. the only fault lies with the person not paying attention. This is different in real life where people say one thing, and then do something else. you don't actually get the Nigerian princes money, instead they steal yours...thats a scam; buying and item and paying 1000x more than someone else isn't a scam, its stupidity.

listing an item for X and charging 10X is a scam, since you are not charging what was advertised. Listing an item for 10X and charging 10X isn't again you are stupid for over paying and not paying attention to the prices.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.