Battlefront Starfighter Gameplay Thumps SWTOR's GSF

DewyMossEmpire

That's not really a surprise. Starfighter is meant to be a side portion of this game, not a focus. That's why there's only like 3 maps in rotation for it. Besides, Battlefront II had space combat down much better than this game a little over a decade ago. Nothing beats the Rogue Squadron series anyway.

I realize General Chat has a long tradition in everybody just shouting how they feel, rather than explaining whats&whys behind any given opinion at all. As such this post is in wrong section but here is an actual comparison from somebody who has actually done loads of both:

Pros vs. GSF

-Matches are fast and constant. No waiting for queues. If I want to fly, I can do so instantly.

-Visuals and sound can't be beat.

-No Evasion!

-No entrenched fortifications to slow a match down.

-Bots mean even non-aces can score some kills and help the team .... or at least feel like they are doing so.

-Doing well in Fighter Squadron can quickly earn you rank/credits to buy ground game stuff!

Cons vs. GSF

-No distinct classes (though choosing to fly your faction's weaker ship in order to "blend in" with bots is interesting)

-No [Ops] or [Gsf] channel to get praised/cursed. Though if I got enough pilots I could get a TeamSpeak going.

-No customization. At least not yet.

-Not as much mechanical depth as GSF (though more than I expected).

-Only 1 combined objective/TDM gametype (though 5 maps as of December--same as GSF)

I have not played Battlefront enough to really form much of an opinion of it.

Based on what I've heard:

TLDR:

Casual, simple and itnense funtimes&awesome graphics: Battlefront

More flight mechanics, tactics, depth and sophistication: GSF

It remains ironic how Star Citizen has gotten 200 million crowd funding by selling a daydream that isn't too far removed from actual experience of playing SW:TOR as a GSF pilot. It is easily the best, most unique part of the game. It'd deserve so much more attention and love from players and devs alike.

Edited by Stradlin

Did I start playing this game for Starfighter combat? No

Neither did I.You can rest assured I'd be long gone without it, heh,

Obviously it is pretty subjective how much one likes or hates it and so on.

What is much more undeniable is the fact that playing SW:TOR as a GSF pilot is a completely unique experience. As it stands, you don't get it from anywhere else. Like, imagine World of Tanks where the waiting lobby is an MMO set in World War II. That's how TOR appears to GSF pilot!

Wether or not I consider SW:TOR a great game kinda changes with the weather. What is undeniable is that it is utterly magnificent, 200 million dollar waiting lobby. World of Tanks and most other similar games have a lame chat window as lobby. GSF has an MMO as lobby. Is cool!

Edited by Stradlin

That's not really a surprise. Starfighter is meant to be a side portion of this game, not a focus. That's why there's only like 3 maps in rotation for it. Besides, Battlefront II had space combat down much better than this game a little over a decade ago. Nothing beats the Rogue Squadron series anyway.

X Wing.

TIE Fighter.

Nuff said.

GSF is, in my opinion, one of the most completely forgettable elements of this game. While a solid proof of concept, it does nothing as well as the good combat flight sims do and offers, at best, a niche distraction for those that either have no clue what a good combat flight sim can be or are very easily enamored by the fact that this iffy flash game wannabe exists within SWTOR.

Much like the rest of this game, if it didn't have Star Wars' name associated with it, just about nobody would be fooled into believing that it were genuinely good at all.

As a demonstration of the SWTOR team's commitment to delivering additions to the game that combine ideas many asked for until they become something virtually nobody was asking for, it is an unparalleled success.

Edited by Uruare

X Wing.

TIE Fighter.

Nuff said.

Got some extremely fond memories of these as well. Tie Fighter was a..er, childhood gaming defining game for me.

I have no trouble viewing GSF as it's spiritual successor of sorts. It is pretty surprising how sophisticated the flight engine of GSF ended up being, how well things underneath it's hood work. Most people shouting off rooftops about how bad the engine is are people who never bothered to learn the ropes and begin blaming the game for them being bad at it. It is absolutely a pretty cruel and unfair place for fresh pilots. But boy does it ever reward those who get past first bends of the learning curve.

People who " hate the engine" and have all these suggestions bout how to make it suck less are usually people who have flown..what, 5, 10 games etc. Meanwhile, people who measure their matches in three or four digits actually have hard time coming up with any major improvements they'd want to the very core of GSF's engine. It is very good for what it is.

If more fresh pilots would spend little time watching and absorbing things like stuffs this video shows, GSF would be that much less painful to start/try.

GSF isn't Falcon 4.0 in space or anything, but there absolutely is bit of a learning curve. That alone is enough to make it a really odd and unlikely fish in game that is largely filled with battles you actually can't lose.

It is a huge shame GSF doesn't come with any PvE content. Besides this, only things it really lacks is a half decent in-game Tutorial. Luckily GSF community has pretty much redeemed this; amount of helpful guides, video tutorials and such available is staggering.

Only thing where GSF utterly failed is monetizing itself; there isn't any incentive to spend any cartel coins s for it. You lack means to really admire your ship(s) TOR-side for example, so what does it matter if they come with flashy new color patterns and so on. Game could have used an actual in-game hangar where you can see, climb your ships etc. The couple of Cartel ships available are ugly and strangely chosen.

Edited by Stradlin

It remains ironic how Star Citizen has gotten 200 million crowd funding by selling a daydream that isn't too far removed from actual experience of playing SW:TOR as a GSF pilot.

I don't understand how this comparison could even be conceived. Just about the only thing the two have in common is they both feature space ships.