NO ONE will care about the voice acting in one more month.

Gunfox

You heard it here first :)

I've started to skip every conversation at lvl 22 and pick my answers at random now, only paying attention to good / light side points.

Everything you say will be pointless after the conversation ends. Everything! I have yet to see a consequence that adds more than more voiceover and in the rarest cases killing one insignificant dude. The stories of the sidequests have the quality of a c-movie at best.

And this is where the major part of the budget went? Sorry, but this makes me laugh.

Will the decisions change your quests? Nope.

Will the decisions change the world or parts of the map? Nope.

Will the decisions change following decisions? Nope.

All they do is adding more pointless, boring textlines.

Will parts of your gear change based on a soulless number counting how "good" or "evil" your decisions were? Well yes, I have to give that point to Bioware.

I'm finished with this boring, pointless abomination called a story.

I really hope the gameplay gets better, but honestly I don't have much hope.

This is an MMO, let us write our OWN stories! Not follow a pointless path some underpaid or just plain bad writer sucked out of his fingers.

If I want a story, I'll go watch a movie or read a book. Gameplay is what counts in a game.

Edited by Gunfox

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started to skip every conversation at lvl 22 and pick my answers at random now, only paying attention to good / light side points.

Everything you say will be pointless after the conversation ends. Everything! I have yet to see a consequence that adds more than more voiceover and in the rarest cases killing one insignificant dude. The stories of the sidequests have the quality of a c-movie at best.

And this is where the major part of the budget went? Sorry, but this makes me laugh.

Will parts of your gear change based on a soulless number of how good or evil your decisions were? Well yes, I have to give that point to Bioware.

This is an MMO, let us write or OWN stories! Not follow a pointless path some underpaid or just plain bad writer sucked out of his fingers.

If I want a story, I'll go watch a movie or read a book. Gameplay is what counts in a game.

Go make your own MMO. Good luck.

Will parts of your gear change based on a soulless number of how good or evil your decisions were? Well yes, I have to give that point to Bioware.

This is an MMO, let us write or OWN stories! Not follow a pointless path some underpaid or just plain bad writer sucked out of his fingers.

No sympathy for you. If you weren't living under a rock for the past 5 years then maybe you would've realized this game revolves around choices and dialogue. I think the story is quite good, and I'm sorry you cant manage to pay attention to it. If it bothers you so much you can continue playing your conversation version of Russian roulette.

Except it was advertised as one of the big, new main things. That, to me, makes it a core element and not fluff.

I am LOVING it personally. My Consular and Smuggler, even though i play both as good, are so different that its refreshing to play them both. Can't really say that for any other MMO I've played.

Although i do think if i hear my smuggler say "Im sorry/...tough break" or its varieations one more time i may strangle something :p

Also, coice does matter. Ive noticed that some of my actions do have consequences / rewards. and that choing A led to either a c or d option, while b led to options e or f.

Edited by Clova

It's a nice gimmick, but sadly it's just that, a gimmick. Voice acting is certainly not the future of MMOs, that's for sure. MMOs are about replay value, you need to be able to play for months on end, so any voice acting gets dreadfully stale. It's also why a story-driven MMO is nothing but a pipe dream. A story-driven MMO is akin to reading the same book over and over and over. Eventually it just gets to the point where it doesn't matter.

I still have fun with it, and it was a nice change of pace. But it's very obvious TOR will be the only one to do it on such a scale.

Edit: Although I have to agree with the lack of choices. You really can just skip dialog and choose at random and your story will play out the same as everyone else. This part really dissapointed me. I was hoping that my choices would actually shape my story in some manner, but nope. Regardless of what you say or do, the story remains the same.

Edited by ColonelColt

No sympathy for you. If you weren't living under a rock for the past 5 years then maybe you would've realized this game revolves around choices and dialogue. I think the story is quite good, and I'm sorry you cant manage to pay attention to it. If it bothers you so much you can continue playing your conversation version of Russian roulette.

To be fair, the game revolves around dialog. Your choices mean very little.

actually, on some of the flashpoints the quests can change based on your answers.

Same for quests. But I mean, at the end of your class story it is the same outcome, light or dark regardless. At least that is what I have heard. If someone can clarify that being light vs dark endgame actually makes a difference please tell me.

To be fair, the game revolves around dialog. Your choices mean very little.

That's true I guess. What I was trying to say, was that having the possibility of being able to chose if you're going to kill this guy or save him is quite exciting. It may not change the entire environment, but its still a nice touch. I just don't see why people buy this game and react in horror when they realize features known from the beginning would be in the game.

I take you it don't play any other Bioware titles?

Actually, I did, and I liked most of them (Kotor and ME1). But what we have here is just an overkill of pointless and plain bad storytelling without ever giving REAL consequences.

The old BW titles did this very well. Also, the old titles were like 50 hours long. What we have here is an extreme overdose. It will not work.

Will parts of your gear change based on a soulless number counting how "good" or "evil" your decisions were? Well yes, I have to give that point to Bioware.

This is an MMO, let us write our OWN stories! Not follow a pointless path some underpaid or just plain bad writer sucked out of his fingers.

time for you to hop somewhere else to make your own game.

so, dont play this game anymore.

K. thnx. bai !

He has a point, in that one of the real draws of this game was the ability to truly decide your character's "fate". The reality is that far too many of these decision trees are illusory - they resolve down to the same one or two endpoints, with "tacked-on" voice acting to smooth over the consolidation of branches in the decision tree for a story arc.

We don't have "choice", just the illusion of it, except for a few rare places where your decision may affect the ability to accept a mission or two within a flashpoint. The only real decision you get is whether you want to add light or dark points to your Alignment stat. The voice acting is indeed grand, but it's a rigidly pathed experience that, once you've experienced it, you'll probably never pay attention to it again.

A case in point, for me, was the remarkably parallel mission paths followed by my trooper and smuggler characters as they made their way to Carrick Station via the "tutorial." After walking my trooper through Ord Mantell, I could practically walk my smuggler through his ostensibly "individual" story line blindfolded.

I appreciate what BioWare's trying to do, but right now, sitting in a half-finished MMO, it smacks of gimmickry. Knowing full well that BioWare blew a huge chunk of change for that gimmickry instead of providing a stable UI or basic MMO features is a bit odd.

That's true I guess. What I was trying to say, was that having the possibility of being able to chose if you're going to kill this guy or save him is quite exciting. It may not change the entire environment, but its still a nice touch. I just don't see why people buy this game and react in horror when they realize features known from the beginning would be in the game.

The only way I manage to retain any sort of joy from those choices is through my RP nature. I pretend my actions have consequences. Once you realize the harsh truth of things, it doesn't matter in the slightest. Since whether you kill him or let him live, after that quest is over it'll never come up again.

Actually, I did, and I liked most of them (Kotor and ME1). But what we have here is just an overkill of pointless and plain bad storytelling without ever giving REAL consequences.

The old BW titles did this very well. Also, the old titles were like 50 hours long. What we have here is an extreme overdose. It will not work.

The game was advertised as such. It's your expectations that were wrong.

Edited by Jaick

That made me laugh.

I didn't read you post but going off the title, I don't care about them now, spam space bar and read the last thing they said and make the choice. I am rolling light side so for me it's basically like this:

choice 1 - 'that's terrible' / 'are you ok'

choice 2 - 'tell me more'

choice 3 - 'let me help'

idk maybe I'm getting too old for games, I read books or watch movies for stories, I want to have physical control and fun in games, not stand there and listen to Earl..

Edited by DigitalDigital

Speak for yourself. I'll take the voice acting over quest text bs any time, any day.