So, I always wondering about the exclusion of Vaylin.

Sardorim

Why wasn't Vaylin in the trailer? She's apparently much more powerful in the force than her entire family but her daddy, for obvious reasons though she may have more nature attunement and power all on her own, and is an important story character but she didn't appear in any of the lead up to the games promotion. Heck, I didn't even know she existed until I started KoTFE's story.

Obviously "Mommy-dearest" was kept off the promotions for story reasons but no such reason exists as to why Vaylin wasn't shown anywhere considering her important role in the game.

Which hopefully is more than being crazy and having her chest exposed for... Reasons, I guess.:rak_02:

Probably because she was still powerless during that time I believe. I get the feeling her force powers were locked and she got no combat training during that time. Explains also certain fight in the game. I wonder if she is fully self learned or did someone actually train her?

You may call her crazy, but to me, she's the most developed of the bad guys other than Valkorion. I have a hard time liking or even warming up to Arcann because everything he does feels like a clicheed villainous default M.O.

The two things he's actually done - CHAPTER 1 SPOILERS HERE - was the same thing, twice, out of what, ambition? It feels like we have no idea about Arcann's thoughts or motivation other than "I did it for the sithy lulz". His dialogue feels stilted and predictable, like aimlessly pieced together out of a collection of generic bad guy tropes.

Vaylin, you can talk about her short temper, her need for appreciation, her intolerance towards failure, a twisted sense of humor... with her I already know why she acts the way she does and what to expect from her in general. I know jack about Arcann, other than that he's doing something he needs resources for and that he hates my guts.

Edited by kamennebbie

Two reasons off the top of my head.

1) Vaylin is/was Valkorian's favorite. So sending her into danger, especially to a place crawling with people who would call a nuking down on themselves to get rid of a big enough threat... Yeah, a bit too much risk.

2) Vaylin might go on a killing spree. And the ritual for feeding off that much death was not ready (or perhaps Vaylin might be able to gain power that way, too). So, simple jealousy on Valkorian's part.

I believe it was for pure storytelling reasons. 2 twins, 1 human, 1 machine. 1 good, 1 evil. While idea isn't new, it was used to the full potential in trailer. Some random sister doesn't mix in.

I don't think the other was good. At least not after what Senya said.

On another note, where is Vaylin's second lightsaber?

I don't think the other was good. At least not after what Senya said.

On another note, where is Vaylin's second lightsaber?

She hasn't had to use it, yet.

Alternatively, she hasn't undertaken the quest/journey to the tomb of Thexan to acquire it, as it is needed to strike down her evil brother Arcann.

It states in the dialogue of the story at some point/s that she was pretty much overlooked and unrecognized. I tend to think they were afraid of her power and opted to try and contain it rather than embrace and encourage it based on Senya's story where she gives that bit of history where even as a child vaylin could overpower her so she convinced valk to block her powers.

I may well get an infraction or a ban for this.

http://www.nymgamer.com/?p=12067

There's no names. Maybe it's not EA/BW. Some of the points mentioned do hit uncomfortably close to home, though.

But If it is, I might be seriously reconsidering my sub anyway.

My only take on this is that the way it is coming across is eerily similar to the Rollingstone piece on the fraternity rape party that was later shown to be a 101 course in how not to run an investigative journalism case - only one side taken into account and all details taken as gospel by the author.

Now this is not to say that what was written was not true or should be ignored - far from it. But due to the allegations, any conclusion needs to have more info and another side of the story revealed first.

Why wasn't Vaylin in the trailer? She's apparently much more powerful in the force than her entire family but her daddy, for obvious reasons though she may have more nature attunement and power all on her own, and is an important story character but she didn't appear in any of the lead up to the games promotion. Heck, I didn't even know she existed until I started KoTFE's story.

Obviously "Mommy-dearest" was kept off the promotions for story reasons but no such reason exists as to why Vaylin wasn't shown anywhere considering her important role in the game.

Which hopefully is more than being crazy and having her chest exposed for... Reasons, I guess.:rak_02:

Bad writing.

Makes no Sense for Valkorion to not to use her most powerful warrior to achieve his goals. As the all mighty emperor he should have trained her and get her to unlock her powers even further. after all is not like with his power he had anything to fear from her. The 2 brothers just seem useless in comparison. That is just bad writing.

I may well get an infraction or a ban for this.

http://www.nymgamer.com/?p=12067

There's no names. Maybe it's not EA/BW. Some of the points mentioned do hit uncomfortably close to home, though.

But If it is, I might be seriously reconsidering my sub anyway.

This sounds suspiciously like self-victimizing to me. There are very real issues in the gaming industry pertaining to sexism, but I'm somewhat skeptical about this one. Everything made for men and stretched to women... right, tell that to any male Togruta player.

Maybe its just every time I hear "we have more evidence that we aren't going to talk about because reasons" I get rather suspicious.

Of course, we'll never know the whole story here unless the woman decides to launch a public lawsuit. Not likely.

Two reasons off the top of my head.

1) Vaylin is/was Valkorian's favorite. So sending her into danger, especially to a place crawling with people who would call a nuking down on themselves to get rid of a big enough threat... Yeah, a bit too much risk.

2) Vaylin might go on a killing spree. And the ritual for feeding off that much death was not ready (or perhaps Vaylin might be able to gain power that way, too). So, simple jealousy on Valkorian's part.

Valkorian says Vaylin was his favorite but that back story we get from what's her face, the mom, says Valkorian kept to himself and never paid attention to his kids. "Locked" her powers away, although I wish we got some more information on what exactly the background of Vaylin is outside of her being "troubled as a youth".

So many questions and next to no answers. And that isn't exactly a good thing. She has massive power, clearly. Valkorian locked her powers away, then I guess after she hit a certain age he "unlocked" them and he trained her? The answer may be simple but the fact is we don't know anything about anything with this family. And for 9 chapters and to have no answers, seems lazy to me. The whole story so far seems like it was forced onto the game, it just doesn't fit for whatever reason. To be honest I was hoping Valkorian wasn't Vitiate, it felt lazy and forced. In my opinion anyway.

God I hope not. She already has too much screen time for being nothing more than a screechy Mary Sue mustache twirler.

Couldn't have phrased it any better. That's exactly, how I feel about Vaylin. That voice..urgh, it makes me shudder and not in a good way.

You may call her crazy, but to me, she's the most developed of the bad guys other than Valkorion. I have a hard time liking or even warming up to Arcann because everything he does feels like a clicheed villainous default M.O.

The two things he's actually done - CHAPTER 1 SPOILERS HERE - was the same thing, twice, out of what, ambition? It feels like we have no idea about Arcann's thoughts or motivation other than "I did it for the sithy lulz". His dialogue feels stilted and predictable, like aimlessly pieced together out of a collection of generic bad guy tropes.

Vaylin, you can talk about her short temper, her need for appreciation, her intolerance towards failure, a twisted sense of humor... with her I already know why she acts the way she does and what to expect from her in general. I know jack about Arcann, other than that he's doing something he needs resources for and that he hates my guts.

Vaylin may come off as kinda crazy and spur-of-the-moment, but I get the feeling she's much more ambitious than her seemingly random personality lets on. I suspect she's playing a long game of some sort, probably something other than usurping Arcann: I feel as though she doesn't give two damns about being empress.

It's been kind of obvious that she will be taking over sooner or later.

And remember, this is only Season 1.

Kinda what I said before, I don't think Vaylin wants to usurp Arcann. If she wanted to, she would've done it by now, since it's been said more than once that she's more powerful than him. I think she's after something else.

Valkorian says Vaylin was his favorite but that back story we get from what's her face, the mom, says Valkorian kept to himself and never paid attention to his kids. "Locked" her powers away, although I wish we got some more information on what exactly the background of Vaylin is outside of her being "troubled as a youth".

So many questions and next to no answers. And that isn't exactly a good thing. She has massive power, clearly. Valkorian locked her powers away, then I guess after she hit a certain age he "unlocked" them and he trained her? The answer may be simple but the fact is we don't know anything about anything with this family. And for 9 chapters and to have no answers, seems lazy to me. The whole story so far seems like it was forced onto the game, it just doesn't fit for whatever reason. To be honest I was hoping Valkorian wasn't Vitiate, it felt lazy and forced. In my opinion anyway.

This definitely isn't the end of her story. I have a feeling that Valkorian locked her powers away for so long and only recently trained her because he knows how powerful she is, powerful enough to kill even him. If she had been taught earlier on, she may have learned the secret of stealing Life Force as he does, only difference is he's had 1000 years to perfect that kind of power. Someone as young as Vaylin wouldn't have any control over it and would probably wipe out the entire galaxy. So the answer to why Valkorian kept her locked away for so long is simple: He was scared. Scared of her power and what she could become.

I feel like people are vastly overestimating Vaylin here.

She lost her duel with Senya, after all. And she doesn't seem like she is more powerful than Arcann yet if she feels the need to scheme to take him down. And her power has clearly been unbound from what it was before given that her personality is exactly how Senya described before she had her mind caged.

Edited by OldVengeance

Senya says that Vaylin is stronger than her.

Vaylin just hasn't reached her full potential yet as her powers were locked away for so long... And she's missing a lightsaber. Perhaps she's a natural with 2 lightsabers while not as skilled with only one?

Arcann and Thexan were 'representations', parallels of one another. One was strong, one was weak, etc etc. I think that Bioware kept Vaylin hidden away because what did she really add to the trailer? In-game she's nothing more than a crazy juggernaut character with very few lines that make me go, "Wow, now THIS is a villain.", and instead they keep hyping up her power in the force to compensate for her lack of strategy and intelligence. People say Arcann is a generic villain but how generic is killing your own men for things they probably couldn't avoid to begin with? Vaylin's more cliche than Arcann imo.

Another theory is that Vaylin couldn't be trusted to maintain a fighting force. She controls the Zakuul Knight's, but it's less strategy and more 'Rawr go after them!' and the exposure to war, while her power is suppressed, could either render her killed or breaking free from her bonds due to the stress of it all. Vaylin is abnormally aggressive for her age, displays no tact in many of her decisions, yet remains Valkorian's favorite somehow. Strange.