PvE doing PvP - TIPS!

DarthMaulUK

I would be OK with this, but also Remove the PvP stuff for planet completion on PvE and RP servers too. I don't want forced PvP EVER. I have a TON of planets sub 100% because I don't want to spend months looking for players to attempt to kill. REALLY BW? I choose a PvE server for a reason.

I've been barking up that tree for years, and the only thing it ever seems to accomplish is pissing off PvPers who chose to play on PvE servers. The very fact that there is a forced flag system on PvE servers shows how much EAware has always and continues to cater strongly to PvPers.

I'm not going to be a nazi and say that all PvP should be eliminated from PvE servers (though I certainly wouldn't complain) but at the very least PvP should be a completely optional activity (and no you can't tell me it is optional when it prevents completion of content that is otherwise almost completely PvE, such as planet Achievements).

A lot of this started grinding my gears when Gree first hit. People on *PvE* servers who did not opt to flag themselves were getting force-flagged because they used AoE abilities on top of invisible flagged players. Completely ridiculous and I've seen very little on EAware's part to correct a lot of that. Sure some people were slapped on the wrist, but they kept the stupid auto-flagging system in place.

Sorry for yammering on but clearly this is a hot-button topic for me that irritates me to no end. I realize that friendly "hostility" is part of PvP immersion, but the crappy system and mixing of content that they continue to do relentlessly creates actual hostility between the two play styles and it shouldn't have to be that way.

Edited by DimmuJanKaarl

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you a tip. You want 4X but don't like PvP? Run around in circles hitting and shooting things at random while reading or watching TV. Don't pay any attention to what is going on, or rules or stuff. Just get it over with. Then ignore PvP.

I don't usually endgame pvp but I do get talked into it sometims, and more often lowbie pvp. Here's my tip: Warzone medpacs and Warzone adrenals are your friends. There are no pve medpacs that come close to the warzone ones.

And that is a great post, OP. I really appreciate it. Usually when I do pvp, I go with someone and they coach. It helps. Since I usually play heals, most people dont' mind I'm there.

Great thread and great post.

@ OP, well done and thanks for posting this.

I PvE some, but PvP a lot and there is zero excuse for PvE players to run around without capped or close to capped expertise without grinding PvP gear.

Situational Awareness and Communication is all that's needed. And really that's no different to getting through an Operation. PvEers generally do their homework before entering a HM instance, why is entering a PvP match so different?

And, playing both, PvE players are no less elitist and can be real jerks when someone without experience enters their SM Operation or HM flashpoint. So have a good look in the mirror before casting that first stone.

Excellent post OP! Easily one of the most helpful PvP threads I have seen. This should be made a sticky for those that want to get the companions and actually be useful to the team. Those who sit afk in a corner to get your matches done I will actively drag (if possible) the opposition team over to you so you can get involved in the fun (though sadly it's not EVE-level fun)!

Last time I dabbled with PvP in SWTOR was back around launch, where I managed to get lucky a few times on pre-50 PvP and make a couple of kills before dying. I never understood what I was going on, and got /whispers from 'leet PvPers' telling me I suck then going quiet when I asked for advice on how to improve. Funnily enough, the first match I jump into in this KOTFE-era and exactly the same happens... So, well done OP for making something that's relatively easy for us noob-PvEers having to jump into max-level PvP without having set foot in, say, Voidstar or Pylons before then.

Tim

Oh and both companions, Pierce and the droid, continue to gain 500 influence per match played.

Don't need to have them out while doing whatever waiting for a pop, it happens automatically. So just maybe out of the 18-20 companions you can have their is one for PvPers in mind ....

I know, heresy. Nobody is forcing you to do anything ...

Edited by Aricin
more info

Oh and both companions, Pierce and the droid, continue to gain 500 influence per match played.

Don't need to have them out while doing whatever waiting for a pop, it happens automatically. So just maybe out of the 18-20 companions you can have their is one for PvPers in mind ....

I know, heresy. Nobody is forcing you to do anything ...

Well, since they both utterly hate the opposite faction, and are therefore faction-specific, these two companions would be the ones to do OWPvP with.

So in a weird kind of way, it makes perfect sense; a pity they couldn't put their attitudes aside, just once, so they could both focus on the larger threat.

Excellent post OP! Easily one of the most helpful PvP threads I have seen. This should be made a sticky for those that want to get the companions and actually be useful to the team. Those who sit afk in a corner to get your matches done I will actively drag (if possible) the opposition team over to you so you can get involved in the fun (though sadly it's not EVE-level fun)!

Last time I dabbled with PvP in SWTOR was back around launch, where I managed to get lucky a few times on pre-50 PvP and make a couple of kills before dying. I never understood what I was going on, and got /whispers from 'leet PvPers' telling me I suck then going quiet when I asked for advice on how to improve. Funnily enough, the first match I jump into in this KOTFE-era and exactly the same happens... So, well done OP for making something that's relatively easy for us noob-PvEers having to jump into max-level PvP without having set foot in, say, Voidstar or Pylons before then.

Tim

EVE-level?

Edited by sentientomega

A lot of this started grinding my gears when Gree first hit. People on *PvE* servers who did not opt to flag themselves were getting force-flagged because they used AoE abilities on top of invisible flagged players. Completely ridiculous and I've seen very little on EAware's part to correct a lot of that. Sure some people were slapped on the wrist, but they kept the stupid auto-flagging system in place.

Yeah, they kept the stupid auto-flagging system in place. Except they didn't. This has been fixed for well over a year, almost 2. The only way to get automatically flagged is if you go into another faction's base or if you revive someone who is pvp flagged. Do you honestly believe that you should be able to do either of these things just willy nilly with zero consequences?

Edited by runescapeisgood

Tim

First of all, thank you to the OP for posting this, it will certainly help with the learning curve for those who want to cross over into PvP. (Personally, I won't -- you could hand me a full set of ultra-optimized PvP gear and I still wouldn't.)

Second, the existence of a special PvP attribute (expertise in this case) is a plague on all MMOs that have it. I'm not sure if the intent is to create a second grind, or what, but all it does is create a barrier to keep non-hardcore PvP players from having any chance in a PvP match, and create a hurdle that has to be jumped just to get into PvP.

Third, gating any content behind PvP is a terrible move on Bioware's part, and something like companions that otherwise have never had anything to do with PvP is a particularly terrible move.

I wouldn't normally be caught dead saying this but: Max just nailed it. I agree mostly with everything he just said. (Minus not PvPing; I would be bored without PvP.)

However I don't remember this much outcry from PvPer's when HK-51 was barred behind two separate flash-points, one of them being the foundry. Why should I have to PvE for a companion but you can't PvP for one? Double standards much. I mean some of these post in this thread attempting to help PvE'ers are downright childish tantrums. I'm not going to call anyone out on them but you can find them easily.

...and people say that we PvPers are toxic.

I would also like to add a few tips:

1. Is to take it easy, don't be afraid to ignore toxic players, most of us PvPers actually ignore them as well. If they are guarding a node just keep an eye on their health bar instead of the chat. If their health drops, respond to protect the node.

2. Don't concern yourself with kill count/numbers only bads do this. Focus on objectives and winning. The only one you need to be concerned with partially keeping alive in is Hypergate as OP has stated. If you die to much you are actually awarding points to the enemy team. It's best to play cautiously, stick with the group and peel for the healers. Guard the Pylon.

3. Last but not least, it doesn't all have to be done in one day. If you get frustrated, take a break. Perhaps do one or two a day, then go about doing your PvE stuff.

4. Good luck.

Overall I think their needs to be two ways of getting all the companions, and I mean all of them. Should be a PvP route, and a PvE route. That way everyone's happy. (You know they won't be but hey, one can wish).

Edited by Tharenisis

Welp, I'm going to have to get around to doing my 20 Warzones sooner or later. Perhaps next week.

Back when I used to play WoW I was quite formidable in PvP (at least, until they introduced expertise). I know *how* to do it, (it *is* just common sense and teamwork) I just don't really want to do it all that often, and I certainly don't want to create a new set of gear just for it..

I'll join in and play properly, not because I want to, but because I feel kinda bad for the PvP players who suffer for my 0 expertise *** being there.

I really can't wrap my mind around why anyone would choose to stand around idle rather than doing something. It isn't like getting killed in PvP is some horrible thing. Doing something towards the objectives is more entertaining than watching Netflix in the other monitor.

there is zero excuse for PvE players to run around without capped or close to capped expertise without grinding PvP gear.

Having done nearly two dozen warzones myself, at this point I still have only half a set of entry-level PVP gear (with bonuses from the weeklies and dailies). I'm not sure where you would expect someone to have high expertise before they enter PVP.

PvEers generally do their homework before entering a HM instance, why is entering a PvP match so different?

Because warzones are marketed as "introductory" content (there is even a mission available for brand new players that is almost identical to what I as a level 65 player am doing). This would be like expecting someone to read a guide before doing Black Talon Story Mode, not HM content.

And, playing both, PvE players are no less elitist and can be real jerks when someone without experience enters their SM Operation or HM flashpoint. So have a good look in the mirror before casting that first stone.

As somebody who is staff on a PvE guild (this isn't the reason, but it gives the level of experience I'm speaking from) this infuriates me. While I expect people to have done either Story Mode for the Op if we're doing Hard Mode, there is no reason to be a douchebag at someone who is doing something for the first time. Being an ****** about this is about as tolerable as a business advertising an entry-level position and only hiring people with 5 years' experience.

As for M1-4X/Pierce, I think they should have two more conversation options that tie into the 4 matches/2 wins daily, and the 15 matches/8 wins weekly, barring ineligibility. Picking that option would tell you, not to complete 20 WZs, but to complete and turn in the Weekly, or the Daily, depending on what you picked.

So, you could either do just the 20 matches, or the Weekly, or the Daily. PvE people who really just want to go in and out could pick the Daily convo option, everyone else could pick the 20 or the Weekly.

As for M1-4X/Pierce, I think they should have two more conversation options that tie into the 4 matches/2 wins daily, and the 15 matches/8 wins weekly, barring ineligibility. Picking that option would tell you, not to complete 20 WZs, but to complete and turn in the Weekly, or the Daily, depending on what you picked.

So, you could either do just the 20 matches, or the Weekly, or the Daily. PvE people who really just want to go in and out could pick the Daily convo option, everyone else could pick the 20 or the Weekly.

The best option is just not to have such a stupid option. However, Bioware ARE stupid, therefore forcing PvE'rs to PvP just to boost the tiny numbers who now PvP in their game due to stupid design decisions made over the previous 2 years.

Then, Bioware will look at their flawed metrics and gloat '80% of the server population take part in PvP and of that 80%, 60% are PvE'rs.'

The only way to improve PvP is to fix the actual problems, but in order to do that, you need a developer who know what they are doing, instead of forcing the PvEr to do something they have zero interest in.

Lord_Iurus] Having done nearly two dozen warzones myself, at this point I still have only half a set of entry-level PVP gear (with bonuses from the weeklies and dailies). I'm not sure where you would expect someone to have high expertise before they enter PVP.

Hi,

You can have 1938 (or there abouts) expertise via bolster without PvP gear by slotting 190 rated gear. Which you get in the Revan expansion.

Edited by Aricin
putting quote in

The best option is just not to have such a stupid option. However, Bioware ARE stupid, therefore forcing PvE'rs to PvP just to boost the tiny numbers who now PvP in their game due to stupid design decisions made over the previous 2 years.

Then, Bioware will look at their flawed metrics and gloat '80% of the server population take part in PvP and of that 80%, 60% are PvE'rs.'

The only way to improve PvP is to fix the actual problems, but in order to do that, you need a developer who know what they are doing, instead of forcing the PvEr to do something they have zero interest in.

This is true, though I have to say, that a level 1 MM sniper I made yesterday and have been doing WZs with has reached Valour 30 and level 41, today.

Hopefully, I can hit 40 by the end of the week, and thus be ready to pick that option for the companion mission in question.

I'd laugh if they suddenly changed the PvP requirement before then though...

Although, I have to say, a lot of your points in your posts have been very good and helpful, especially as regards Calling, OP.

Edited by sentientomega

• 11 months later...