PvE doing PvP - TIPS!

DarthMaulUK

It's not that PvPers hate Non-PvPers, its that we hate the them people that actually do what the one poster suggested, go there and just sit/afk. I'm sure raiders would be all kind of pissed to if some one went there and afk to a win/lose and still reaped the rewards.

Except they would never design a reward like that for raids, that would be stupid.

Yet they did it for PVP ... seems the designers of said rewards have a lot to answer for more than bad PVP players or PVE in PVP etc.

Goals should be set around active participation, not just showing up.

Oh and if you're reading Bioware - remove tiered stat gear from PVP, it's not needed and is what makes PVP so unapproachable for the majority of players in this game. Same stats for all based on class/level - let skill be the only deciding factor instead of grinding.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and if you're reading Bioware - remove tiered stat gear from PVP, it's not needed and is what makes PVP so unapproachable for the majority of players in this game. Same stats for all based on class/level - let skill be the only deciding factor instead of grinding.

So I would assume you would be fine with that for PvE as well?

So I would assume you would be fine with that for PvE as well?

It's pretty much already this for PVE if you haven't been following along. I don't know why they bother with gear anymore since the only gear you actually have to earn or grind for is for HM OPs. Everything else is either gifted to you on a silver platter or boslter/level sync.

Okay, two chars of mine have done the 9 chapters of KotFE; a Carnage Marauder, and a Combat Sentinel. Quite naturally, BOTH are Level 65. Both have the instant-60 legacy 188s, btw.

The mara will just sweet-talk Pierce back, but the sent will not be able to do so with M1-4X; therefore, it is incumbent upon me to undertake WZs to gain 40 valour and/or reach the limit of required WZs, 10 wins or 20 other.

At this juncture, let it be known that I don't do much by way of endgame PvE stuff (Ops, HM FPs), let alone top-bracket PvP, or ranked PvP. Which, I suppose, is just as well.

In fact, the only time I ever PvPed was with two of my starting characters two years ago, assassin and operative, one sniper who grinded 900 comms for a PvE MH I had no other means of getting, another sniper and sorc who didn't do any more than 1 or two matches each. Basically, my whole PvP philosophy has been: Screw the objectives, even if you get close to them you'll be ganked into oblivion EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. And, if there is an exception, that's just the calm before the storm. Defeat players, especially those stragglers you can catch alone. Running with a pack of other players can help this.

Now, having said all that; I want to thank the OP for providing information to help try and make the experience as painless as possible for PvE and PvP players alike, even though I couldn't decipher half the information.

I've been studying the utilities, and with my VERY LIMITED knowledge of PvP I have reached this conclusion for my AC:

Skillful: Adamant, Debilitation, Reining Reach

Masterful: Defensive Roll, Incisor

Heroic: Contemplation, Fleetfooted

http://dulfy.net/2014/12/20/swtor-3-0-combat-sentinel-guide-by-vukk/ This guide helped, and looking at the utility tooltips I can imagine how they might apply in PvP, though I'd say that article is out-of-date, so if any of you have any suggestions for better utilities, even if they're different for the maps, I'd love to hear them.

Now, gear. The OP mentioned 208 greens, from where do we get them? Also, what about green 190s that another poster mentioned? Would the level 60 190 green mods from that level 60 mods vendor be sufficient to get an EXP bolster boost?

Basically, to be able to compete, and get my 2018 EXP, what should I have, or not have, for every single gear slot?

The OP uses the word "cap" a lot, I presume that's capture?

Auto-run in WZs, good or bad?

I would think that Calling is only necessary in and around the objectives concerned, though I could be wrong.

Because of the profusely diarrhoetic streams of torrential abuse in the chat, I'm very tempted to just turn off the chat-box and ignore it; good idea, or not? If there's not one helpful person there, I can't see any viable alternative to leaving it turned off. Why? Because, I'm one of the few people who actually reads the chat on a PvE or PvP setting.

Ultimately, whatever my feelings are about PvP; for this character, I just want to go through that rigmarole once, so I can get M1-4X, for this Rep non-Trooper; so I want to do well without getting burnt out, and do the best I can for myself and the team. I've never played any MP game to ruin anyone else's experience, and despite my feelings about PvP and the vast majority of PvPers (some of you are okay, this is true, but not that many, I don't think), I want to just do the best I possibly can. The nice PvPers just want to have positive fun, and, I feel, are trying to do the best they can in a dysfunctional environment.

I don't like that any companion is gated by PvP, but since that requirement for those comps hasn't a cat in hell's chance of every changing, I just want to be able to make the most of the time I'm doing PvP.

Edited by sentientomega

The best suggestion for PvEers "forced" to PvP to get Pierce or 4X or for whatever other reason is: turn off chat, run around aimlessly and get killed. The "pro" PvPer who killed you will get his jollies and you will get your match credit. Win-win, right there. The OP's advice is only for PvEers who actually care about learning to PvP better, and that's the underwhelming minority of PvEers.

If you fill your slots with PvE gear for example using 208 greens

Where do these "green 208s" come from?

Essentially, it won't give away to a pro pvp'er that you are a PvE'r and avoid getting target ganked, which isn't fun for anyone.

You clearly do not understand the mentality of the average PvPer.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Where do these "green 208s" come from?

I had asked that question myself, perhaps they meant common crystal-purchased 208 purple Outlander gear.

Please explain.

Edited by sentientomega

I had asked that question myself, perhaps they meant common crystal-purchased 208 purple Outlander gear.

Please explain.

208 is the actual max rating for 65 PvP armour. I *think* Operations gear is higher than this, so if this is the case 208 or under is your target. Pre 4.0, when PvE'rs use Operations gear, it gives them a huge Endurance boost, or they just stack it thinking they will last longer - probably 0.1 second longer.

Crystals remain the same as they haven't changed over time. You can use level 50s or the CM level 10s with Expertise (once you have all your expertise armour only). Don't mix and match Expertise with standard, it just confuses bolster.

We are still waiting to see what the best combination is right now for armour and Weapons in terms of mods and ratings to reach 2018 expertise but right now, the best anyone has done is 1936

two things. 1 - give PvE'rs more credit than they deserve. I base all my judgements from experience.

2nd - Watch some streamers. Pre 4.0 some streamers would instantly see a PvE geared player for the reasons I outlined and just focus target them ALL match. Sometimes they will mark them just to keep ganking them over and over and on games like Voidstar and Hypergate, those kills add up.

208 is the actual max rating for 65 PvP armour. I *think* Operations gear is higher than this, so if this is the case 208 or under is your target. Pre 4.0, when PvE'rs use Operations gear, it gives them a huge Endurance boost, or they just stack it thinking they will last longer - probably 0.1 second longer.

Crystals remain the same as they haven't changed over time. You can use level 50s or the CM level 10s with Expertise (once you have all your expertise armour only). Don't mix and match Expertise with standard, it just confuses bolster.

We are still waiting to see what the best combination is right now for armour and Weapons in terms of mods and ratings to reach 2018 expertise but right now, the best anyone has done is 1936

Ah, I had a feeling it was; also had a feeling that PvE mods with EXP crystals might create some kind of bug, also noticed that my bolstered 1867 EXP (Legacy blue 188s from fresh 60) isn't doing a whole lot for me.

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/20/swtor-gearing-and-operation-loot-table-in-4-0/

This reveals that 224 is the highest PvE endgame gear rating, so, Outlander gear would be the best beta for PvP bolstering, perhaps?

Ah, I had a feeling it was; also had a feeling that PvE mods with EXP crystals might create some kind of bug, also noticed that my bolstered 1867 EXP (Legacy blue 188s from fresh 60) isn't doing a whole lot for me.

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/20/swtor-gearing-and-operation-loot-table-in-4-0/

This reveals that 224 is the highest PvE endgame gear rating, so, Outlander gear would be the best beta for PvP bolstering, perhaps?

Yes. Outlander would be best or something close to it. The trick is not to go over 208 rating with armour/mods etc. Once you do that, expertise will reduce further. But with PvP armour pretty cheap, those warzone coms are better spent buying the basic PvP armour from the vendor and any access coms can be used to purchase more of those crystals.

So if 224 is the highest rating for end game, it would be an extremely bad idea to use that in warzones.

Bumping this as I see a great initiative here - even though my toolbox is full of tip the best one for now is; I would strongly advise against standing in a corner unless anyone is looking to make a perceived bad experience worse.

If you are new to PvP I recommend you to visit this thread for the more levelheaded input from the PvP community, then after that explore the PvP forums for useful further information.

Cheers mateys cya all in the Wz' ;)

Edited by t-darko

Hmmm...nope.

Gonna sit in the corner and do the barest minimum to keep from getting kicked. I have no interest in PVP outside of sitting through the 20 losses needed to get Pierce.

Probably the same for me too, I can't even get myself in a mood to log in to my guardian (the only one who has done KoTFE so far knowing I will be going into PvP for Forex.

But kudos to the OP for trying to help those PvE players who want to get into PvP but did not know where to start. I am sure some people will find this helpful but some people will just stand around and do the bare minimum.

As a PvE player, theres not a chance in hell you will be running PvP gear. Many decide to use Operations gear, which is a huge mistake. 208 rating is the cap for PvP and the 2018 expertise a player needs.

If you fill your slots with PvE gear for example using 208 greens (not sure about blues yet) to get 2018 expertise Although it doesn't have expertise as a stat, it will bolster you to 2018 expertise. You WILL just about be competitive. Essentially, it won't give away to a pro pvp'er that you are a PvE'r and avoid getting target ganked, which isn't fun for anyone.

Sure you can use your warzone coms to purchase gear but that will take a little time to get the basic pvp armour.

So are you saying if someone exceeds 208 gear by equipping 216 or 220 Ops gear that they will not receive the PVP bolster?

Edited by RagnarAugustus

2nd - Watch some streamers. Pre 4.0 some streamers would instantly see a PvE geared player for the reasons I outlined and just focus target them ALL match. Sometimes they will mark them just to keep ganking them over and over and on games like Voidstar and Hypergate, those kills add up.

Thanks for supporting my point. Most PvPers (not all, I assume not you) are about kills, not about a competitive match. Wiping the floor with a poorly geared PvEer is music to the ears of the average PvPer.

Then why the reference to "208 blues?" The only 208 blues I know of are the crafted "solid piece" 208s, which take 6 Exotic Isotope Stabilizers to make, and which have one purpose as far as I can tell: to be RE'd to be able to make a 216 MH.

Please explain.

Edited by branmakmuffin

LOL this forum needs a "like" feature.

I don't WZ, so I honestly don't know, but judging by the (justified IMO) complaining I've seen from PvPers, either there's not a kick function, or PvPers are masochists

There is a kick function for pvp but people never use it cause it still requires the majority vote, plus you just have to deal with that annoying or bad person for about 10mins now (Since pub just kicks the living **** out of imps these days)

Thanks for supporting my point. Most PvPers (not all, I assume not you) are about kills, not about a competitive match. Wiping the floor with a poorly geared PvEer is music to the ears of the average PvPer.

Then why the reference to "208 blues?" The only 208 blues I know of are the crafted "solid piece" 208s, which take 6 Exotic Isotope Stabilizers to make, and which have one purpose as far as I can tell: to be RE'd to be able to make a 216 MH.

Please explain.

If a PvPer is only interested in how much damage he does or how many kills he gets, then they are commonly refered to as a "Bad" or a "*******". They are not focusing on objectives such as caping a door, guarding a pylon, etc, and if given the choice between a clear voidstar door plant or chasing someone down to finish them off, they would do the later to boost their death kill, which true pvpers don't care about anyway.

Hmmm...nope.

Gonna sit in the corner and do the barest minimum to keep from getting kicked. I have no interest in PVP outside of sitting through the 20 losses needed to get Pierce.

Cheers mate,

Your description of prefered contribution style sounds very much like node guarding, so; If you're playing Repside, run to the nearest green or yellow marked spot; if you're doing it on Imp side---> Red or Purple.

There, already you have pleased the the rest of the group as they are free to chase precious stats and medals!!!

For Reg-star fandom and future invite in PvP premades( Groups in fours of like minded souls, and you are correct in assuming that it is like entering a FP with four chosen friends) you just need to follow a bare minimum of OPs advise on node guarding!!

Huttball you ask!!? Well, just don't loiter in the endzone right at the spawn area . . . and by that move you actually would appear to be a seasoned veteran!!!

You see in PvP everyone and anyone can contribute, neat huh!?;)

Edited by t-darko

As someone who is vehemently opposed to ever doing PvP because I've always despised the terrible underbelly of really awful (i.e. despicable and mean) PvP players I've almost exclusively always been exposed to, I have to say I really appreciate this post. It leads me to believe that there actually are PvP players out there who aren't complete jerks. That said, I actually suffered through getting valor 40 out of the way years ago and didn't have to worry about this for the certain companion who requires PvP, though when I didn't realize it right away I was pretty peeved when I saw it.

I think PVP players are jerks when someone in a warzone doesnt show a minimum of common sense. I have seen many times people ignoring others in the chat, doing whatever they feel like to, because you know, "I am a newbie and I don't know how to play pvp". But please!! PAy attention!! Most people would gently answer if you have any questions, problems...

But if you say to someone "Please, call as soon as you see someone approaching, even you get attacked by a stealther, call..." and he keeps ignoring you... PVPers don't like newbies/players with 0 interest.

If people show interest but not skill, it is ok, we were all there once :)

But please, show some interest...

Filling all your slots will help you reach 2018 expertise but I am yet to see a player (without old lvl 60 pvp gear) with 2018 - most I have seen is 1936. I think this is bug but someone can clarify. Bolster always has been broken and never worked properly.

Currently filling all slots with non-PVP gear will not grant 2018 at any level. The most you can hit is 1936. Here's why.

Crystals. You put a 41 Expertise Crystal in your main hand and another in your offhand. 2x41=82. 2018-82=1936.

However, if you try to mix-match by placing 41 Expertise crystals in PVE gear, it'll throw off your bolster even more and you'll still be lower than 2018. You really only want to place Expertise crystals in strict pvp gear that already has expertise.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but until it's fixed (if ever), the most expertise you can obtain without pvp gear is 1936.