The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvE doing PvP - TIPS!

DarthMaulUK

Yes, hypergates is in my opinion one of the most tactical warzones. Need a good overview about your team / classes, enemy team and balance. Need to decide the right for the right situation. Need to know when it is better to try stealth-cap and when it is better to stop them from the beginning of a round. And please... don't try to prevent capping in the first round. You can steal your team the chance to do this in later rounds for much more points.

Agree. Timing is key on this map and tactics can and do change, providing that your team are smart enough to see that,

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I will do so, its not my mistake to force me to PvP for a companion.

No it's not and Bioware should really be ashamed. However, the idea of this thread is to help those who are new to PvP to quickly understand the basics of how things play out, giving you all a better chance of avoiding abuse and actually being a contender in warzones.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

waste of a post. completely worthless. no offense to the OP.

We don't WANT to PvP AT ALL. Do you think those of us against forcing those of us that like only PvE to PvP is going to make us CARE about PvP more?

No it's not. It's only going to make (most of) us hate it more.

Sorry but I don't care about your "tips" I just want to get in, get out, and get the required pvp I'm FORCED to do out of the way for my PVE companion(s)....I'll stick to running around or hiding behind things doing nothing thanks anyway.

Want to get mad about it? Get mad at BioWare for FORCING PvE'ers to PvP for a PVE companion.

And I wonder how many of you telling us PvE'ers to stop crying about it would feel if BioWare all of a sudden FORCED you to raid to get PvP gear.

First of all, thank you to the OP for posting this, it will certainly help with the learning curve for those who want to cross over into PvP. (Personally, I won't -- you could hand me a full set of ultra-optimized PvP gear and I still wouldn't.)

Second, the existence of a special PvP attribute (expertise in this case) is a plague on all MMOs that have it. I'm not sure if the intent is to create a second grind, or what, but all it does is create a barrier to keep non-hardcore PvP players from having any chance in a PvP match, and create a hurdle that has to be jumped just to get into PvP.

Third, gating any content behind PvP is a terrible move on Bioware's part, and something like companions that otherwise have never had anything to do with PvP is a particularly terrible move.

Or you could just hide in a corner and suffer through the minimum Warzones needed to get your companion and move on.

That's pretty much what I did. Just bunnyhopped around the WZs like an idiot hoping the match would be over ASAP. It wasn't actually that bad to get to 20/20. An unnecessary and annoying timesink, sure, but not much worse than running mind-numbingly boring dailies or FPs.

It was also fun to spam chat with some "pwn speak". I hope I didn't seriously annoy anyone too much but serious PvPers would play ranked and not unranked anyway, right?

Oh well.... *shrug*... just glad it's over now...

Edited by Moriendor

Hmmm..

1. can you really do this?

2. you have to be in group to join WZ right?

3. they can kick you if they don't like you right?

4. do you stay in wz if you are kicked by team-mates?

Assuming you can get over those potential hurdles:

1. how long is a wz if no one takes the objectives?

2. do you log-in to a wz in a safe area, and how long can you stay in safe area?

3. if killed how long can you stay "dead", and if you over stay that welcoming status, are you returned to safe zone or kicked from wz?

1. yes

2. no, queue pops and you are grouped but you can queue solo

3. yes but won't go through if you start a combat

4. if you are kicked you are teleported back outside, but the kick vote is not public (like in a fp) and it stops if you initiate a fight.

1. huttball 12 minutes, civil war up to 15' with only naturals capped and grey mid, novare coast can be infinite, hypergates can go up to 20' the longest i saw but it was ranked with no pylons capped multiple times, voidstar is going up to 15 no doors capped, two 7 minutes rounds.

2. yes and up to 60 seconds deserter debuff ticking, stopped by exiting safe area and triggered by respawning there or staying dead

3. you can die, wait 59 seconds, respawn, wait 59 seconds, hitting respawn or going out safe zone stops debuff but timed ''doors'' at respawn can have you kicked, if you miss a window to get out.

it's better if people try to have fun out of the experience but you can really troll heavily if you have the mentality. personally i've seen people idleing or hiding but are still far less than bad players trying at least to contribute. i discourage the trolling so i'd prefere to have people smashing buttons really. and this thread has good tips to be decent.

This post reads to me as being very helpful for a lot of people that are new to warzones and may be joining because of the MI or Pierce companion quests, or just new to the game in general and trying out all of the game mods, and I think the OP did a very good job of it.

The only problem is that a lot of people are saying, quite vehenently, how all they are going to do is go into a match and stand there. Look, I get that not everyone likes PvP. I myself only go through phases before I get fed up and can't stand it either. But I just don't see why people can't try. It is really saddening to see people say that they aren't going to help at all and that they are content to just sit around and do nothing and reduce their teams chances of success. I know the go to answer to that is that they won't be much help even if they do flail around and try to do something. But it's basically the same as showing up to a busy day at work and skipping around. Or doing a school project in a group and not contributing at all.

I just don't understand how the idea of letting ones self be a uses less dead weight to a team trying to achieve something is processed is someone's head. It just goes against any sort of moral sensibility.

/dismounts soapbox

This post reads to me as being very helpful for a lot of people that are new to warzones and may be joining because of the MI or Pierce companion quests, or just new to the game in general and trying out all of the game mods, and I think the OP did a very good job of it.

The only problem is that a lot of people are saying, quite vehenently, how all they are going to do is go into a match and stand there. Look, I get that not everyone likes PvP. I myself only go through phases before I get fed up and can't stand it either. But I just don't see why people can't try. It is really saddening to see people say that they aren't going to help at all and that they are content to just sit around and do nothing and reduce their teams chances of success. I know the go to answer to that is that they won't be much help even if they do flail around and try to do something. But it's basically the same as showing up to a busy day at work and skipping around. Or doing a school project in a group and not contributing at all.

I just don't understand how the idea of letting ones self be a uses less dead weight to a team trying to achieve something is processed is someone's head. It just goes against any sort of moral sensibility.

/dismounts soapbox

That's one of the reasons I won't use the "go in and stand there" method. Being useless and actively detrimental to others enjoyment is not my idea of a good time -- and I play games to have a good time.

Indeed, a very good post. Very informative and an excellent read to boot.

That said, while I do PvP quite often in WoW, Wildstar, and even the occasional DCUO (which I sadly don't play as much as I used to), I've never particularly cared for PvP in SWTOR. It's a shame BioWare is forcing me into 10-20 matches just for a companion, but I'm just going to take my lumps until the companion requirement is met. Then, as usual, I won't be queuing anymore. I have zero plans to gear out or worry about winning. My participation length is finite.

Sorry to this game's real PvP'ers, but I'm a warm body at best until this companion is unlocked. I'm simply not taking the time to grind and unlock gear that I will never use beyond those 10-20 matches.

Edited by Jumajin

I think for hypergates it is important to say, that kills are more important than orbs.

If people leave mid for taking orbs out, the mates would die mid because they are less than enemy team and that would mabye give the enemy team more points than the orb gives the own team.

Best time for taking orbs and bring them back is when mid is nearly clear (then take all orbs and leave mid with your mates also if you don't have an orb) or if your team pushes enemy team out of mid.

And: Never stay mid alone. If you see, you will be the last one mid, try to get out of mid instead dying and spending points.

surly doing both is more ideal.

i did hypergate yesterday and most of my team were attacking i simply collected the orbs and the team kept the enemy so busy that i was never attacked.

As someone who is vehemently opposed to ever doing PvP because I've always despised the terrible underbelly of really awful (i.e. despicable and mean) PvP players I've almost exclusively always been exposed to, I have to say I really appreciate this post. It leads me to believe that there actually are PvP players out there who aren't complete jerks. That said, I actually suffered through getting valor 40 out of the way years ago and didn't have to worry about this for the certain companion who requires PvP, though when I didn't realize it right away I was pretty peeved when I saw it.

I salute you for not simply making this a rage post about how angry you are that us non-PvPers are invading your PvP space. I've spent a long time away from the game because I simply ran out of enjoyable things to do, and if there are more tolerant, helpful people such as yourself out there playing PvP I might actually consider getting into it.

There are plenty of PvP players who, like the OP, don't get extremely rude when they play. There are, of course, those that do. Do like I do when I PVP or PVE and ignore the idiots. I'm very casual in this game and do both PVP and PVE. I haven't played in almost a year when I came back to check out the changes. I have done some PVP, enough to get to Valor 84 but all in unranked matches. I don't particularly like the Arenas since a single idiot can make those pretty awful.

P.S. Now I will admit that when I PvP in WoW and kill a horde on my gnome I'm tempted to tea-bag them, but in this game I just target them and dance, so no, I'm not an angel but it is all in good fun ;-)

surly doing both is more ideal.

i did hypergate yesterday and most of my team were attacking i simply collected the orbs and the team kept the enemy so busy that i was never attacked.

This really is dependant on how the score is set. I had a blazing argument with someone during a game because we needed to prevent the other teams cap to give us either a lead or a win. He was chanting on about getting orbs.

Now - when you look at a very close game, or a game where your enemy are just simply out DPSing you at middle, it makes zero sense to fight there and risk giving them more kills and more points + the orbs. If you leave middle and prevent their cap, or, capture and HOLD both pylons, you will gain huge amounts of points and heavily reduce your enemies totals.

So many players (mostly pvpers!) can't grasp this simple concept on Hypergate. If you can get the orbs - fine but if you are getting wiped, there isn't any point and the only thing to do is either stealth cap or prevent their cap. Its that simple.

This really is dependant on how the score is set. I had a blazing argument with someone during a game because we needed to prevent the other teams cap to give us either a lead or a win. He was chanting on about getting orbs.

Now - when you look at a very close game, or a game where your enemy are just simply out DPSing you at middle, it makes zero sense to fight there and risk giving them more kills and more points + the orbs. If you leave middle and prevent their cap, or, capture and HOLD both pylons, you will gain huge amounts of points and heavily reduce your enemies totals.

So many players (mostly pvpers!) can't grasp this simple concept on Hypergate. If you can get the orbs - fine but if you are getting wiped, there isn't any point and the only thing to do is either stealth cap or prevent their cap. Its that simple.

This is a good point and for the PVE'ers that hate PvP you should be aware that it is more often bad PvP'ers who only care about kills that ruin the goal based matches rather than PVE'ers, at least in my opinion.

As someone who is vehemently opposed to ever doing PvP because I've always despised the terrible underbelly of really awful (i.e. despicable and mean) PvP players I've almost exclusively always been exposed to, I have to say I really appreciate this post. It leads me to believe that there actually are PvP players out there who aren't complete jerks. That said, I actually suffered through getting valor 40 out of the way years ago and didn't have to worry about this for the certain companion who requires PvP, though when I didn't realize it right away I was pretty peeved when I saw it.

I salute you for not simply making this a rage post about how angry you are that us non-PvPers are invading your PvP space. I've spent a long time away from the game because I simply ran out of enjoyable things to do, and if there are more tolerant, helpful people such as yourself out there playing PvP I might actually consider getting into it.

It's not that PvPers hate Non-PvPers, its that we hate the them people that actually do what the one poster suggested, go there and just sit/afk. I'm sure raiders would be all kind of pissed to if some one went there and afk to a win/lose and still reaped the rewards.

waste of a post. completely worthless. no offense to the OP.

We don't WANT to PvP AT ALL. Do you think those of us against forcing those of us that like only PvE to PvP is going to make us CARE about PvP more?

No it's not. It's only going to make (most of) us hate it more.

Sorry but I don't care about your "tips" I just want to get in, get out, and get the required pvp I'm FORCED to do out of the way for my PVE companion(s)....I'll stick to running around or hiding behind things doing nothing thanks anyway.

Want to get mad about it? Get mad at BioWare for FORCING PvE'ers to PvP for a PVE companion.

And I wonder how many of you telling us PvE'ers to stop crying about it would feel if BioWare all of a sudden FORCED you to raid to get PvP gear.

that depends.....can I AFK in said raid to get said gear?

The best thing for a PvEer to do for these companions is to ignore them completely so Bioware in their infinite wisdom gets the message.

Yes, I used to PvP all the time on a shadow no less. I don't know who on the staff decided this was a good idea, but he was totally wrong. PvP without the correct gear is ridiculous. If they were going to do this, they should have given everyone expertise gear, then maybe...just maybe, they'd have a tiny bit of a chance.

OP, nice try, but if we haven't PvP'd enough to get our expertise up, why would we bother. I don't know about the rest, but dying every five seconds because we don't have the correct gear isn't my idea of fun.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

hum a good point the enemy team did try to take both pylons half way through the match (actually got both but still lost) guess i was on the team which was out dpsing them.

Aslo i should say i do love this guide, ive pvped in the past but not a lot specifically not on my guardian tank (i mostly did it on my operative and smuggler) so i was always unsure how a tank could do well in pvp.

The best thing for a PvEer to do for these companions is to ignore them completely so Bioware in their infinite wisdom gets the message.

Yes, I used to PvP all the time on a shadow no less. I don't know who on the staff decided this was a good idea, but he was totally wrong. PvP without the correct gear is ridiculous. If they were going to do this, they should have given everyone expertise gear, then maybe...just maybe, they'd have a tiny bit of a chance.

OP, nice try, but if we haven't PvP'd enough to get our expertise up, why would we bother. I don't know about the rest, but dying every five seconds because we don't have the correct gear isn't my idea of fun.

Better advice is for PVEers is to leave M14X and pierce for last, the amount of toekns you get from the heroics and star fortresses mean you can get blue and purple pve gear but use the common toekns to buy pvp you get a lot as ive hit max 3 times now.

Edited by Kaisernick

Because, no player should feel left out. And whilst I am not a fan of the gear grind(which is now reduced by a huge margin) as its just so outdated, if you play smart, you can be a contender.

Damage is huge now so even those in full pvp are getting hit hard as you don't need to balance combat for 'story'. It also gives PvE'rs an insight to just how badly thought out combat is right now.

8 Medals is the magic number in warzones for full coms and XP(if you are in low/mid brackets). If you are a tank, you can easily throw a guard on someone and rack up the damage points and earn medals that way. Yes you will die lots but you will play your part too instead of hiding in a corner and vote kicked out if seen.

Edited by DarthMaulUK