Worst thing about new expansion... the facial expressions

GRIDBUG

Every time my human female Jedi Outlander makes a "mad" face she looks like a Disney cartoon character on crack. So much about KOTFE is absolutely epic (rhythm, pacing, story, characters) and it all comes to a screeching halt when one of those wonky facial animations appears. YMMV of course, but I tend to notice these sorts of things. A lot. That said, I have to compliment BW on giving us a legit Mass Effect Star Wars story. Can't wait to continue the saga!

:D

Edited by GRIDBUG

I actually think that the facial expressions are the best part of the new expansion.

Maybe it depends on the char's look in general. My female trooper with all her scars and implants looks just fantastic when she makes faces. I mean that in all honesty. I have never felt that attached to her before.

My Twi'lek Sorc might look a bit ridiculous though (more than usually). ;)

I love the more expressive faces, however, I would like to quietly explain one thing to the animation department, for use in future chapters. Eyeballs belong *inside* eye sockets, and when the eyelid covers more of the eye than usual- e.g. because the eye's part closed, the eye should not stick through the closed lid. Not sure if that's a specific problem with the female body type 2, human head 2 that I've been using, or whether it affects all, but it does look somewhat peculiar at times.

• 1 year later...
I admit this is a necro, but rather than starting a new topic I searched for earlier posts and this was most on point. I wanted to ask - did something change with facial expressions either this expansion or last? I've noticed that with 5.0 at least it seems that all my companions now have strange forehead wrinkling and mouth contortions in convos. For me, at least on a very good rig, it's extremely off-putting and ugly now. Is this new?

Knights of the Furrowed Brows

And the eye popping outside of the face thing is still a glaring problem (no pun intended). For a game that puts so many resources into cutscenes, you'd think the animations would be even more varied, less buggy, and less outright broken (like when you're SUPER angry at something, the face looks like it's literally melting).

I'm not trying to say your guys' criticisms aren't warranted, but I have to say this should be the very least of our worries with this "expansion"...

Very understandable...but again, considering the amount of resources that DO go into the game now are mainly going to cutscenes and linear story-modes, you'd think some of that money would have gone to upgrading the face models to not melt sometimes or eyes wouldn't pop out, or everyone wouldn't be so upset/angry-looking even when the emotions of the situation don't even come close to calling for it.

I admit this is a necro, but rather than starting a new topic I searched for earlier posts and this was most on point. I wanted to ask - did something change with facial expressions either this expansion or last? I've noticed that with 5.0 at least it seems that all my companions now have strange forehead wrinkling and mouth contortions in convos. For me, at least on a very good rig, it's extremely off-putting and ugly now. Is this new?

Yes, the facial animations have been updated with 5.0. It's not just in the new expansion, either - it's in the base game and all previous expansions, too. It's a bit more realistic now, with wrinkles in the forehead when they frown or their eyebrows rise, or wrinkles near the mouth and nose when they draw their mouth up in disgust or horror or whatnot.

It IS a bit weird in pre-KOTFE/KOTET cutscenes, because of the generic smile/frown/furrowed brow expressions there, but in later expansions the expressions tend to even out and look much more natural.

Personally, I love it. I've always liked how one of my characters - a male twi'lek - looks when his expression changes, and now with the new animations... wow. You do not want to be in the same room as him when he gets mad about something, because he can pull off one heck of a death glare. I was half-convinced Valkorion would start vaporizing on the spot, the way my guy looked at him with such hatred. (And, ironically, said character is a Jedi knight. He missed the memo about being emotionless, it seems.)

I'm not trying to say your guys' criticisms aren't warranted, but I have to say this should be the very least of our worries with this "expansion"...

I'm not in the "I demand this gets fixed right now" crowd. I'm curious more than anything why this got attention and dev resources in the first place if it's indeed new. Because it looks really bad and I don't recall this being an issue anyone was worried about prior to 5.0.

I'm leveling in the base game and haven't yet made it to KOTET or even KOFTE (leveling multiple alts and stalling for fixes to GC first and I'm slow anyway :o). But in the base game it makes especially the females look ugly and it's often - not just limited to anger and such. Again, not asking for this to go to front of priority queue.

It IS a bit weird in pre-KOTFE/KOTET cutscenes, because of the generic smile/frown/furrowed brow expressions there, but in later expansions the expressions tend to even out and look much more natural.

Ahh, that makes sense. Haven't gotten there just yet. But gosh it's bad in the vanilla game.

I noticed this in 5.0 too. I think it looks terrible! I don't doubt that the extra facial wrinkling can look good, under the right conditions and with certain character looks, but dear stars it looks awful (and a tad ridiculous) to me. My characters have perfectly smooth, flawless, youthful looking complexions . . . until they frown. Or smile. Or even talk! Then, they magically have the wrinkles of a 40 year old, but only in certain places. And did I mention how off this looks on the likes of Mako and Nadia?

Maybe these expression "enhancements" look great in KotET, but I've been through most of KotFE and a bunch of other story content post-5.0, and have found them to be nothing but an aesthetic blight upon my cutscenes.

Mind you, it isn't that faces wrinkling like that when they show expressions is bad or unnatural looking in and of itself, but on faces that are otherwise flawless, youthful, and smooth? It is simply too much, IMHO.

Needless to say, my enjoyment of taking screenshots has decreased considerably. >.< Good think my main is a Miraluka that always wears a hood . . . and now the hood is good for more than just hiding ugly hair! :p

Very understandable...but again, considering the amount of resources that DO go into the game now are mainly going to cutscenes and linear story-modes, you'd think some of that money would have gone to upgrading the face models to not melt sometimes or eyes wouldn't pop out, or everyone wouldn't be so upset/angry-looking even when the emotions of the situation don't even come close to calling for it.

I'm not in the "I demand this gets fixed right now" crowd. I'm curious more than anything why this got attention and dev resources in the first place if it's indeed new. Because it looks really bad and I don't recall this being an issue anyone was worried about prior to 5.0.

I'm leveling in the base game and haven't yet made it to KOTET or even KOFTE (leveling multiple alts and stalling for fixes to GC first and I'm slow anyway :o). But in the base game it makes especially the females look ugly and it's often - not just limited to anger and such. Again, not asking for this to go to front of priority queue.

It most likely wasn't as hard or resource intensive to do as you think. Most likely they just adjusted the value ranges in the animations to allow them to be more expressive.

Note this Fallout 4 mod...

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2224/?

It's doing the exact same thing the SWTOR update did, and was released like a week and half after Fallout 4 came out.

I don't think it's addition to the game was as resource intensive as you guys are making it out to be. Chances are that it's the animation values created for the new Eternal Throne models applied atop the vanilla game models and that's it.

Every time my human female Jedi Outlander makes a "mad" face she looks like a Disney cartoon character on crack. So much about KOTFE is absolutely epic (rhythm, pacing, story, characters) and it all comes to a screeching halt when one of those wonky facial animations appears. YMMV of course, but I tend to notice these sorts of things. A lot. That said, I have to compliment BW on giving us a legit Mass Effect Star Wars story. Can't wait to continue the saga!

:D

A bit of overacting is required since the characters have a pretty doll-like face due to the way the engine works. I agree that it can look a little hilarious whenever the character looks "grim" and squints there eyes, but all in all it's a vast improvement. The characters' faces virtually always express something whereas previously they could barely get their lips to move. The characters seem a lot more alive than they ever did before.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

A bit of overacting is required since the characters have a pretty doll-like face due to the way the engine works. I agree that it can look a little hilarious whenever the character looks "grim" and squints there eyes, but all in all it's a vast improvement. The characters' faces virtually always express something whereas previously they could barely get their lips to move. The characters seem a lot more alive than they ever did before.

This.

Previously they had almost no expression at all. It is a huge improvement.

Not to invalidate the OP's opinion, but I LOVE the new facial expressions. They add flavor to the same expressions we have been seeing for years and I think they portray more emotion.

I boosted a character just to see what it is like since all of my other characters are 53 or lower. I have not been able to stop playing for two days. I finished chapter 4 last night. I am wondering if this pace will continue until level cap. I have (and no complaints here) not been to a fleet, starship or stronghold yet. I have not seen a mailbox (and have 21 pieces waiting for me). I also cannot access items from my collections (like my STAP mount).

Again, these are not complaints, but it almost feels like I am playing a different game. I have never played Mass Effect (as mentioned by the OP), but I might now try it if this is what it is like.