From the heart: Thank you, BioWare, for 4.0

heavenquake

There's a lot of negativity on these forums and in the community in general, and I've had my share of disappointment in the game at various stages. The game opening was flawed, the F2P was, and is, crudely and annoyingly implemented, and the game feels.. glitchy, at times. I definitely disagree with a lot of decisions that went into, and go into going forward, development of The Old Republic.

All that being said, I really feel like this needs saying: The 4.0 update is the best thing to happen to SWTOR n it's entire run. I am loving it. The grind is gone, and the game suddenly doesn't feel like a chore. No more spending six hours doing meaningless sidequests you've done ten times before, remembeirng to get all your PvP and spacebattle dailies just to not waste the exp, so that maybe you can get a levelup today and be able to continue your classquest. Now you can actually just enjoy yourself, and allow the story to unfold. It is amazing to see the game be what it could be, instead of being held back by MMO-tropes that served no purpose. That the quests nowl level with you, that your level and exp gain is adjusted for the planet/flashpoint you're doing -- it's marvelous. It removes most what has kept me from playing in the past.

So thank you, BioWare, from the heart. I know I'm not alone in thinking this.

Edited by heavenquake

Flex roles for companions, level sync, tactical flashpoints, endless cosmetic options, streamlined crafting and leveling, instant travel to heroics, level appropriate rewards, it's awesome. I really love it.

Now I have one friend who always wants a challenge and the game is too easy for him. But my mom plays with me too and she likes easy mode. Being able to adjust the difficulty for bigger payoffs would be nice. For my hard mode friend we put our companions away but it just slows the game down. I also get scolded in general chat for asking if anyone wants to do heroics with me, but that's all just a matter of fine tuning.

Overall I LOVE LOVE LOVE the overall direction. I've been subbed since release and SWTOR keeps climbing the charts of my all-time favorite games. It keeps getting better and better.

Indeed, I also want to thank the whole team. Good job Bioware. I haven't played the story yet, but the 4.0 turned out to be a great update with a few bugs here and there. It's not a disaster like SoR happened to be with its gamebreaking bug. Good job.

I hope you will create great stories in the future updates. Also, don't forget about new pvp maps :cool:

I'll join in on the love fest. I've been playing on and off (mostly off) since launch and my highest level character is 50 (confirmed noob). I'm loving leveling characters right now. Love that i can make any companion a healer so can use the ones i want all the time (FU Quinn!). I love that i can just put whatever i want on my companions for looks and not worry about stats. I love that the companion conversations no longer require giving them a bunch of gifts to progress. It feels so much more natural now.

I've seen videos of KOTFE story and i'm blown away. Thank you Bioware.

Now just let us have black eyebrows and give some love to the PVP community and everything would be perfect.

+1

4.0 rocks. Sure there are bugs, and not all of the changes will be loved by all. But there was a LOT of work and heart put into this expansion, and it is simply the most excellent MMO I've ever played (starting with WoW beta).

Jules

I agree completely. I'm really enjoying myself and I think Bioware made some really sound decesions with both microprogression and lateral progression.

There are probably a few things that could be tweaked, but overall, its a phenominal expansion. I like all of the QoL chnages, as well as the added versatility to companions.

I simply could not stop playing the story. My only regret there is that there is not more.

I lke that there is eposidic story telling with increments of convenient end-game play between.

I don't have early access so I cannot comment on KOTFE, but, yeah, 4.0 is outstanding.

The only thing I don't like is the removal of all the oranges, which could be fixed by a more robust appearance tab/wardrobe.

And, I'm definitely in the companions are too powerful camp, but I think that'll be straitened out eventually.

I had mixed feelings about 4.0 with each announcement. Honestly, after a few days I still have mixed feelings.

I'm subbed, but I wanted to hold off till this weekend to continue to KotFE story. So I spent the last few days with my level 60 doing Nar Shadda dailies and otherwise working points towards Conquests (which I'd never done before...basically solo guildless player). I even spent some time doing Starfighter, since as a solo player that seems to be the straightforward way to accumulate points. Also, was buying time till this weekend.

Well, odd thing, last night after wrapping the last Nar Shadda heroic I hit level cap?!?! I hadn't been paying too much attention to my experience gain. That was way too fast. Really, just doing several evenings of play on dailies, a few flashpoints and starfighter and I'm level cap?? So, one thing I'm not happy about is the leveling pace.

Also, I was expecting the Nar Shadda Heroics to be more challenging with the level sync...and as you can expect my level 60 sync'd down to 26 was overpowered. I have mixed feelings about level sync still as well. Before 4.0 I was concerned that it wasn't optional. I had been running Tatooine dailies and really didn't want to be agro for everything on the planet while running those. On the other hand, I could imagine that it would be cool to return to the enjoyment of enough challenge to stay engaged with my character. Feeling like you work a little for progression on quests has definite appeal.

Cartel Market changes sounded good. Its possible they are good. However, the scant 2 items in a pack has actually had the affect of highlighting to me exactly how expensive those packs are. Before, even though a pack might give me a bit of 'trash', that kind of felt like a little more value. The 'trash' inclusion also matched the fact that each pack was a dice role...so you had consolation prizes, sort of. Now, I roll the dice, only get 2 items, and if they aren't something I would want...well, I only have 2 subpar items. So only cc spending I'll be doing now will definitely be my subscription cc. So I guess thats good for me, but not good for Cartel Market and EA/Bioware.

The one thing I am pleased about is the companion gear changes. I had been running for a while stuck on a single companion because of the pain it required to try to gear up another to match my level. In the last few days, each day I've run with a different companion. However, we're so overpowered vs the content I've been playing that I've had no need to swap roles or companions. The companion is purely aesthetic. That I'm not fan of. I don't think the companions should swap roles. Its contrary to the idea of making all companions easy to use. People will just use a single companion and swap the role vs pull out another companion to fit that role. How does a role swapping companion make sense story/character-wise? But oh well, I'll just treat like they have specific roles and swap in/out as needed and keep the role play for my companion going.

I'm still holding judgement on crafting. I wasn't a fan of the crafting before. Had very little value. A shame given the focus on integrating companions into it. First impressions aren't good with the retraining need and the extra layer to making the new crafting components. But will take a while to see whether the craft becomes something thats really valuable to the player, especially to see if post 4.0 a real market for selling crafts appears.

So, that kind of leaves the new KotFE content. I'll start playing through that this weekend. I have good expectations for it. We'll see.

Overall though, I'm not discouraged away from the game at least. I'll be playing for a bit longer. We'll see if it has some staying power.

I'm still confused and somewhat overwhelmed by all the boxes, gifts, recruitments and what not that I got flooded with after chapter 9, but on the whole - I'm loving the new version of the game. The story took a nice twist, the casual player's experience has vastly improved, I could go on. Of course, there are problematic areas here and there, but nothing a couple of patches can't eventually fix. The only thing I wish for at this point, is a fireplace decoration for my stronghold, so I can put Marr's lightsaber on the mantelpiece to look at it and remember him fondly, lol. Good job, BioWare.

Thanks for the story and the great cutscenes. Excellent job! Very happy about that. That's what many wanted to see.

I am not happy with a couple of other additions (better: cuts) that were made. But this is for other threads.

Here, again, kudos for the new story and the chapters.

Where to start: The presentation, the pacing, the emotional hooks and the new direction leads me to believe that you folks're finally on your way to changing what an MMORPG really can be. Thank you, it was an absolute pleasure running through the new content and am in anticipation of what you have coming next. :D

I'd like to drop in and thank the team too.

I know the changes in 4.0 have had some mixed reactions, but overall I love it. I've always been more of a solo player and I chose this game because of the story focused content. I understand the expansion may not have focused on some of the MMO aspect to things, but it doesn't effect me that much.

Firstly, the story was awesome! There were some moments that I genuinely was not expecting. I love the updated cinematography, fresh new planets. I especially like the update to the heroic moment, I find myself using it more often. The quick travel to all the heroic places and contacts cuts down travel time. I'm loving all the new gear that we can get. There were those moments that made me laugh out loud, which was a nice change of pace. That moment on Odessen: "It needs a lot of work!"... nearly brought a tear to my eye!

Sure, there are still a few minor bugs here and there, but they're not game breaking. My starship is a little dead and I'd love to be able to place my own personal customised squad there.

It's kind of sad and telling how many people don't miss (and sometimes didn't even know about) some of the aspects I appreciated that are now either gone or changed beyond recognition. *shrug* I know, it's me, not you. I live in the past, I also drive stick shift and despise automatic.

For me, however, the worst thing about 4.0 and KotFE is the abysmal pre-release communication, including so blatantly broken promises that the loss of trust can't be made up with a shiny story. That alone means the best they get from me is reluctant acceptance, but certainly no love. (Bought the amazon bundle, so they have my money already, that has to be enough.)

Overall I am loving the changes, however there does need to be a few things to be sorted, the companions need to be marked down about 25% in damage and healing. Expertise needs to be looked at in scaling, e.g. it's very powerful right now.

the companion bugs need to be fixed and they need to release at least 1 flashpoint and 1 war zone before Christmas, otherwise this game will not be worth playing in the new year.

My major disappointments which is why I've only given the expansion a 6.5 / 10 are:

no voice acting in the alliance missions.

lack of new content

taking too many cosmetic items away and not replacing them properly

the fact that the story is exactly the same copy and paste job whether youre a jedi master or a smuggler, I mean seriously, whoever wrote the dialogue should be fired.

+1

But there was a LOT of work and heart put into this expansion, and it is simply the most excellent MMO I've ever played (starting with WoW beta).

Agreed. I am especially loving all the new Ops and Warzones as well as the hours upon hours of new story content!