The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware?? Why didn't you listen in the beta??

MajikMyst

It has been said time and time again.. DO NOT FORCE PVP ON PLAYERS THAT DO NOT WANT TO PVP!!

First off, I'm in the same boat you are MajikMyst.

Unfortunately for us, game companies try to "encourage" people to PvP or group up for a while now. Sadly, this is nothing new in the industry. Pure RP-er are out for those companions I assume.

So far, I've put any PvP goals / rewards in the "nope" category. Personally, since I want the companions, I might actually go PvP for the first ever in SWTOR, but certainly not the "right" way. TIP =

As per

at the 2:55 mark, killers hate explorers.

Whether it's true or not, I'm going to "explore" the PvP maps... look at the skyboxes, etc... and not actually PvP. Killers will get their points off me. I'm moving, so I won't be logged out. And, sooner or later, I'll pass the votekicks (if there is such a thing in PvP) just by luck if enough people in that group do the "explore" thing.

Pass on this idea on if you like it and want to "pass the time" in PvP matches. A dev will have to personally send me a message before I stop... and maybe not even then.

If the PvP mechanics block that (that's how little I care about PvP, no clue how it works, nor will I after X matches), I guess we do without those companions, MajikMyst...

Yup, you are exactly why people don't like to PvP. You do realize that, right? You and others like you.

As much as I agree with you, AlaricSevGirl, careful. People like that are quick to laugh at our tears but are strangely quick on the report button. I have the permabans to prove it in other games. I suggest you don't engage...

Edited by DalrisThane

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me about it, i am unable to pvp due to a lovely heart condition (cant handle to much stress) so peirce is not going to be gotten by me untill i figure a way to do 20 WZ

That's easy, DGAF about the outcome. Just zone in and complete (up to) 20 WZs. Turn off your chat window. Do what you can but don't stress over it. Who cares if your pixels aren't very good at hurting other pixels.

The sooner you do it, the better though.

Tell me about it, i am unable to pvp due to a lovely heart condition (cant handle to much stress) so peirce is not going to be gotten by me untill i figure a way to do 20 WZ

I ain't going to lie, this made me laugh, the amount of care bear in MMO players today is REAL.....

Its a bloodly warzone just que up and troll if you want, fight, die, fight, who cares, its meaningless.

Back in the day when real MMOS had people crying because they were ganked and looted and they wanted safezones I said this will have no end....

So they cried and got their safezones, they cried and open world pvp was nerfed, looting removed, then they cried about gear decay and thus gear decay from pvp death was taken away, and now this......

Good grief...

Edited by DirtyDiggler

Back in the day when real MMOS had people crying because they were ganked and looted and they wanted safezones I said this will have no end....

So they cried and got their safezones, they cried and open world pvp was nerfed, looting removed, then they cried about gear decay and thus gear decay from pvp death was taken away, and now this......

Surprising as it may be, not everyone wants to live in the wild west. Some people actually like having laws that promise them a degree of safety. There are games that still provide a very hazardous and even lawless world (EVE Online comes to mind). This game, on the other hand, has been very PvE-friendly from the beginning so it seems strange for a lone PvP objective to pop up all of a sudden in the middle of PvE quests. Especially given that pure PvP players do not even benefit from the reward.

I literally haven't PvP'd in a few years, but I got lucky with grinding up to 70 valor back in the day. But yes, being forced to win 20 WZs, is a load of ********. If BW ever looked at community feedback, they'd see that forced PvP, or anything really, is not a fan favorite.

And to those who are a little dim, this game is a PvE-focused game - SWTOR only had PvP servers to cater to your minority...and look what has happened, they are mostly dead due to very low interest in the first place, and then how vile your sub-community has been.

I literally haven't PvP'd in a few years, but I got lucky with grinding up to 70 valor back in the day. But yes, being forced to win 20 WZs, is a load of ********. If BW ever looked at community feedback, they'd see that forced PvP, or anything really, is not a fan favorite.

And to those who are a little dim, this game is a PvE-focused game - SWTOR only had PvP servers to cater to your minority...and look what has happened, they are mostly dead due to very low interest in the first place, and then how vile your sub-community has been.

Except they haven't left the game at all, they just went to your server and are salty for not having open world with viable PvP pops anymore.

Most of the people left on PvP server are actually the nice PvPers.

i will do the Warzones but just stand there and do nothing.

Thats my plan except with a bit more flavor. Been in SWTOR a long time now and on my main account I'm valor rank 3 and thats only because some dummies who tried to PVP us when killing commanders and I healed and got credit.

So now, I will enter warzones and I feel BW has just given me permissions to piss people off and heal in the corner, running around in circles and being a general nuisance.

A quick question for a PvP perspective, if there is a sudden influx of PvE players none of which would be in PvP gear with little interest (kind of running around not really taking things seriously), would this actually spoil the fun from a PvP'ers perspective or would they find it more fun as more lambs to the slaughter?

A quick question for a PvP perspective, if there is a sudden influx of PvE players none of which would be in PvP gear with little interest (kind of running around not really taking things seriously), would this actually spoil the fun from a PvP'ers perspective or would they find it more fun as more lambs to the slaughter?

Most new players would have gear that bolstered up properly. 190 rating or lower looks like it'll get max bolster. If they're rolling around in Ops gear, they really aren't new and Ops gear is what gets killed with bolster.

I don't understand people sometimes. I get that there are areas of the game you'll gravitate to more often than not. I get that there are areas of the game you will love, and others you won't like. But, really, how do you know what you like and what you don't like if you don't even try? Does it stink that a companion is tied to pvp when a player has never identified themselves as a pvp player? Sure. Does it mean that same player might not end up liking pvp after completing their 20 matches? It may, but it also may mean that the player may discover another section of the game they may enjoy thus expanding their horizons for enjoyment.

I never liked conquest. But, now I'm "forced" into conquesting because I craft. I'm giving it a chance. And you know what? While it is a bear, it opens up the entire game to me to experience. I may not like some things as much as others, but now I can experience them for myself.

Back on topic...it's 20 matches. So what. Do your 20 and see if you enjoy things. Main point is give things a chance. I hated tomatoes for the longest time. I tried one another way last month and I enjoyed it. Preferences change if you're open minded. If you're closed minded about everything you'll miss a lot more than just this game. #life lessons

Rakghoul event lol. Who came up with this? Someone who thinks there isn't enough griefing in EVE online?

Thats my plan except with a bit more flavor. Been in SWTOR a long time now and on my main account I'm valor rank 3 and thats only because some dummies who tried to PVP us when killing commanders and I healed and got credit.

So now, I will enter warzones and I feel BW has just given me permissions to piss people off and heal in the corner, running around in circles and being a general nuisance.

It's already amusing to see PvP tears in the fleet over WZ losses. It will be pure gold when half the people "playing" just go hide.

Edited by HarleysRule

you do not need to win. . .

. . .just queue and go stand in a corner somewhere. . .not hard.

And this is why it's a bad idea. Because you'll have a bunch of people standing in a corner somewhere not giving a ****, while people who care about pvp are getting trounced. I don't think that's how BW intended it, but I also don't think they thought this through.

Edited by Idoya

Rakghoul event lol. Who came up with this? Someone who thinks there isn't enough griefing in EVE online?

It's already amusing to see PvP tears in the fleet over WZ losses. It will be pure gold when half the people "playing" just go hide.

Some points in this thread have been made really well. This is one I hadn't thought of. Do PVPers want this? So it's not about challenge? You just want kill totals?

So do PVPers hate level sync or not? THINK ABOUT IT.

Scenario: So I'm a pvp'er (not really) and I love level sync because I like the challenge and don't want to one shot everything. Too easy. But I love PVEers in my Warzones so I can kill them easily while they're standing around. WHAT?

This to me is why level sync and forced PVP make no sense.

PVEers DON'T WANT TO PVP. A GOOD PVPer DOESN'T WANT US IN THEIR PVP! Don't force us together!

Finally, Most PVEers WON'T PVP PERIOD! Just like in ESO. Many of us wanted to see the Imperial city but didn't want to PVP. Guess where they went? To games like SWTOR. So if you force this... guess where we'll be in 3 months? Not here.... :confused:

Edited by Zerileth

I don't understand people sometimes. I get that there are areas of the game you'll gravitate to more often than not. I get that there are areas of the game you will love, and others you won't like. But, really, how do you know what you like and what you don't like if you don't even try? Does it stink that a companion is tied to pvp when a player has never identified themselves as a pvp player? Sure. Does it mean that same player might not end up liking pvp after completing their 20 matches? It may, but it also may mean that the player may discover another section of the game they may enjoy thus expanding their horizons for enjoyment.

I never liked conquest. But, now I'm "forced" into conquesting because I craft. I'm giving it a chance. And you know what? While it is a bear, it opens up the entire game to me to experience. I may not like some things as much as others, but now I can experience them for myself.

Back on topic...it's 20 matches. So what. Do your 20 and see if you enjoy things. Main point is give things a chance. I hated tomatoes for the longest time. I tried one another way last month and I enjoyed it. Preferences change if you're open minded. If you're closed minded about everything you'll miss a lot more than just this game. #life lessons

You assume that people refusing to PvP never tried it. Sure, for some people that's true, but most people have tried it...if not here, then in other games. Some people just don't like the e-peen fappers and smack talk, just like some people think raiders are elitist snobs. I think the PvP in this game is pointless and terrible. I like PvP in games designed for PvP, and not just an add on to try to please everyone. In fact, I just reopened my DAoC account after many years away for the PvP itch after getting bored with EVE.

I probably won't be one of those people that does a WZ and just hides or stands there, because I generally try not to intentionally piss people off, but once again, BW doesn't think things through. If they put a valor requirement on the companions unlock instead of just WZs completed, that will just mean people join more WZs for however long it takes to leech valor with no intention of fighting, and irritating people that actually want to win WZs.

Edited by HarleysRule

I fully support forced PvP.

I think everyone should have to complete the following weeklies or be locked on their ship unable to leave till they complete them all.

-WZ Weekly

-Ranked WZ Weekly

-Tact Weekly

-HM FP Weekly

-1 OP

-GSF Weekly

If BW forced everyone to complete all these weeklies the game would be so alive. Queue for WZ and FP would be popping all the time.

But, really, how do you know what you like and what you don't like if you don't even try?

When I was younger, I used to play board games with my family. If I lost, more often than not I would throw a tantrum. Eventually I just didn't want to play anymore out of fear of losing. Since then, every few years I've tried again to see if I could handle it better, but every time the result has been the same: losing feels really, really bad. Growing up has given me the ability to better contain and direct my anger, but hasn't made me any less of a sore loser.

I have even played some PvP in other games before SW:TOR. While I have to admit that the adrenaline rush from playing against unpredictable opponents can be exhilarating, usually I would still end up being upset about losing at the end of the session, and the feeling would linger for an hour or two before dissipating. The excitement simply isn't worth the bad mood that follows, so I've come to avoid any and all activities that involve other humans as opponents.

If BW forced everyone to complete all these weeklies the game would be so alive. Queue for WZ and FP would be popping all the time.

Maybe the part of the game you like, and if by "alive" you mean there would be lots of targets who don't fight back.

Have you considered switching to another, more PvP-focused game?

Maybe the part of the game you like, and if by "alive" you mean there would be lots of targets who don't fight back.

Have you considered switching to another, more PvP-focused game?

I don't believe in forcing player to do something they want to whether its PvP, PvE or Sync. My post was mocking everyone that said forcing level sync on everyone is a good thing.

Not that I dont think that forcing someone to do war zones is a good method of getting a PVE companion back, but using the ticker excuse is poor... just go in and don't care. Who cares if you kill anything or do any objective, you dont need to be a rock star.

I don't believe in forcing player to do something they want to whether its PvP, PvE or Sync. My post was mocking everyone that said forcing level sync on everyone is a good thing.

All right, I guess I should have seen it was sarcasm from the over-the-top suggestion. Gotta get that sarcasm detector checked.

It has been said time and time again.. DO NOT FORCE PVP ON PLAYERS THAT DO NOT WANT TO PVP!!

Having said that.. In order to do the quest for M1-4X in 4.0, why must I do 20 warzones?? Is there something strange about the concept of PVE?? Do you not see the server populations right now?? All the PVE ones are heavy and sometimes have a queue, all the PVP ones are lightly populated. Notice a pattern there?? People do not like to be forced to play PVP..

In short:

They have been promising better than cross server queue for pvp for more than 2 years, as wz populations have steadily dropped. So this is it. Compelling ppl to play. Next expansion expect a shock collar in the mail before you can log in, that way they can really compel you to play the parts of the game they want to boost.

To highlight how ridiculous forced PVP is...

What if for unlocking Kira, Bioware forced you to RP?

You would have to walk into a cantina, and 20 emoting strangers would take a snippet of your convo and send it to a ranking system. Just to unlock a companion.

If that sounds like a terrible idea to you, imagine what forced PVP sounds like to your average RPer.

Actually, that sounds kinda awesome.

All activities should have exclusive rewards. You should have these OPTIONAL companions that you get through crafting, PvE, PvP, RP, whatever. M14X and Pierce are diehards for their respective factions. They don't want to work for someone who only fights the grunts.