Why couldn't Bounty Hunters use Rifles?

EwromFlyingrider

If Bounty Hunters are the mirror class of Troopers why couldn't they get rifles instead of pistols. Yeah it's cool to go all Jango Fett on someone but I would like to use rifles instead, or even sniper rifles. Instead agents get them. I always felt all classes minus force users could have a back up weapon proficiency. Or a choice between which weapon we could use. That's just my opinion I guess.

Because each side has one class that uses pistols and one that uses rifles already. Besides which, the mercenary uses two pistols, how would you handle that, have them use two rifles? Have them use a rifle in one hand and a pistol in the other? Either of these two solutions would require new animations.

• 3 weeks later...

In that case, Mercs would just use one rifle. It doesn't make sense that the only two ACs that use blaster rifles are melee classes. I personally think that Operatives should be Pistol/Vibroknife, Vanguards should use some sort of carbine, Mercs and Gunslingers should use a blaster rifle, and that most scoundrel abilities that use the pistol should be replaced with Scattergun abilities (similar to bludgeon replacing blast whip).

That would result in longer range classes using rifles, sniper rifles, and assault cannons, the melee-short range ones using pistols, scatterguns, and carbines, which I would liken to submachine guns as a closer quarters weapon.

Yeah well.

Troopers manage to have rifle and cannon but in every cutscene they recycle the bounty hunter animations so all trooper and all bountry hunters are using a pistol.

Even when duelling someone in a cutscene (as is very prominent in the new story) with a cannon as a commando you have the cannon on your back and "duel" with this tiny pistol.

True. Don't Agents do the same thing? Pistols in cutscenes even though you can't wield a pistol as an agent?

Also, a note--one of their promotional concept art pieces for the bounty hunter is actually wielding a blaster rifle. It's under the wallpapers section, which is now hosted on Facebook.

True. Don't Agents do the same thing? Pistols in cutscenes even though you can't wield a pistol as an agent?

Also, a note--one of their promotional concept art pieces for the bounty hunter is actually wielding a blaster rifle. It's under the wallpapers section, which is now hosted on Facebook.

on the plus side with the right pistol and armor models, you look quite cowboy as a scoundrel/gunslinger in cutscenes

I hate that as a trooper I use a rifle (or in my case cannon since I am a commando) but always use that stupid pistol in cut scenes.

All because the rifle and cannon use different stances so apparently making the changes for cut scenes would have cost too much money to let each trooper type use their signature weapons.

BH/Troopers are only mirror in class but lore wise a Tropper and IA are more mirrored both serve their faction as part of its military while the BH/Smuggler work for them selves.

Which is why I wanted as the first new classes an Imperial trooper (true trooper mirror), Imperial pirate (true smuggler mirror), SIS agent (true Imperial agent mirror), and a Republic-aligned mercenary (true BH mirror).

Of course new classes are a pipe-dream, but it was my hope a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. :t_cool:

Yeah well.

Troopers manage to have rifle and cannon but in every cutscene they recycle the bounty hunter animations so all trooper and all bountry hunters are using a pistol.

Even when duelling someone in a cutscene (as is very prominent in the new story) with a cannon as a commando you have the cannon on your back and "duel" with this tiny pistol.

That's annoying, but so is my Mercenary only having a main hand gun in all cutscenes. WTH? I understand not wanting to animate USING the offhand gun, but would it really kill you to leave it on my hip?

It's hilarious that the Trooper has the Assault Cannon, but the secret to his success is the World-Destroying Death Star of Pistols at his hip, which he uses to kill any character in the universe in one-shot, even ones with Plot-armor, like

the Emperor himself.

Edited by DeltaGun

Everything so normalized across the board now with companions all being the same, alliance companions REALLY identical, lvl sync ect. There is no reason not to allow cross training of like items.

I agree completely, and I would be willing to pay for it, but how would you handle, say a mercenary? Currently they dual wield... would you also allow them to use generators?

EDIT: Also, they'd have to reanimate some abilities. For example, power shot needs an animation for a rifle. As would priming shot, serrated shot, mag shot, etc. These are all art assets that cost time and money to develop. Considering their QA process and how long priming shot animation was broken for female snipers, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by xyrmagus

• 3 weeks later...
I have this discussion weekly with my friend. Should have given the rifle to the Powertech, kept the dual wielding pistols to mercs, add the one pistol to the agent, and keep the sniper for the sniper. Would be so much more fitting.

Hunters don't use heavy weapons because they need to be free to use their gadgets which are attached to their wrists. You're actually equipped with many weapons. You have your pistol, your flamethrower, your rail gun (rail shot), etc, etc. The vision of the bounty hunter is as a jack of all trades. You're not a specialized, traditional solider like the trooper.

Your forgetting the base damage of the weapons themselves. Assault cannons and sniper rifles are the most powerful weapons while lightsabers and pistols are the weakest. It's why the mirrors dual wield. To offset the base damage of those weapons. When you apply your stats to the base weapon damage, you damage is increased exponentially.

If Bounty Hunters are the mirror class of Troopers why couldn't they get rifles instead of pistols. Yeah it's cool to go all Jango Fett on someone but I would like to use rifles instead, or even sniper rifles. Instead agents get them. I always felt all classes minus force users could have a back up weapon proficiency. Or a choice between which weapon we could use. That's just my opinion I guess.

I made a thread earlier about this. I do agree that Bounty Hunter's should be able to use rifles. I don't think every bounty hunter in history just used a dinky pistol. plus it feels less Bad***** imo

i see a rifle as a problem for BH its to big and not suited for that class lore wise

a BH need to be fast and very mobiel

also they use a jet pack and rockets in there arms and rifle will only slow that down

with a pistol they can use both arms for there pistol to shoot and use there orther arm to fire rockets

also a pistol is much lighter to carrie around so they can use there jet pack beter

• 2 months later...

You all make good points about BH being able to use different weapons. In the Clone Wars series, we even see several Hunters using a wide variety based on their preference (Sniper Rifle, Bowcaster, Blasters, etc).

The thing with SWTOR is that because of how BW designed the story, the BH character is officially a Mandalorian modeled after the whole Jango Fett/Pre Vizla style, and the most sensible weapon is the Blaster Pistol, for reasons that were stated above. These reasons of course being the mobility, the gadgets, arm weaponry, jetpack. The intent is for your armor to be an enhancement suit with many ways to deal with your opponent while you shoot them with your handgun.

I personally think it would be cool to roll with a Bowcaster on my Merc just like Embo, but I don't mind the pistols, and I understand why they did it. Would be cool for more customization options though.

Edited by Dezmoneka