The most succesful MMORPGs did not cater to casuals in their hayday.

WarTornPanda

The most succesfull MMORPGs had their haydays years ago. Times change.

Yes they did and the sub cycles went from 9 months to 45 days. Games design is all about ease and cost effectiveness. for those that thought TOR cost 300 million to produce are compltely wrong it cost about 80 milion. it was about 10 million more then a standard AAA mmo. EA made their profit on box sales about 140 million LA and BW get 66% of the sub revenue between the 2 of them EA could care less about longevity . server maitenance and content devolpment will suck up their 33% sub revenue . TOR went to theme park and too instanced it wont hold subs past 45 days.

If I sort them by most successful...

WoW

EQ

Eve

Then sort again by those that catered most to their casual player base...

WoW

EQ

Eve

A pattern emerges!

WoW started losing subscriptions after BC.

When did the game become less difficult? After BC.

A pattern emerges!

If I sort them by most successful...

WoW

EQ

Eve

Then sort again by those that catered most to their casual player base...

WoW

EQ

Eve

A pattern emerges!

Hmm, logic I see here. Watch out, this is anathema to some of these posters on here.

Edited by Darkeus

WoW and Eve both saw massive increases in accounts when they started catering to casual players.

WoW made leveling faster (their first really important change to attract casual players)

Eve made the 24hr skill training que

From these points on the companies continually introduced things for players of both subsets to extreme success.

Oh and several games in recent history started catering to casual players too and saw a massive increase in numbers.

And hers the main reason:

The casual gamer is the majority customer.

So what if hardcore players see all the best content... you pay the same $15 i pay if i never see end game content.

Back during WoW and EvE's haydays, this was not true... now it is. So, just be nice and crap and both the hardcore and casual players can get what the want.

Yes they did and the sub cycles went from 9 months to 45 days. Games design is all about ease and cost effectiveness. for those that thought TOR cost 300 million to produce are compltely wrong it cost about 80 milion. it was about 10 million more then a standard AAA mmo. EA made their profit on box sales about 140 million LA and BW get 66% of the sub revenue between the 2 of them EA could care less about longevity . server maitenance and content devolpment will suck up their 33% sub revenue . TOR went to theme park and too instanced it wont hold subs past 45 days.

Love the posters with all the answers and a Magic 8-ball to boot. /thread

LOL

/thread

WoW started losing subscriptions after BC.

When did the game become less difficult? After BC.

A pattern emerges!

LOL

not /thread.

Am I the only one that remembers Blizzard trying to make their game more difficult in Cataclysm as a reaction to a dwindling number of subscribers?

Edited by WarTornPanda

ummm wow most definitely catered to casual players back in the, EQ players used to ALWAYS call WoW players carebears and such.

it's pretty clear OP has no damn clue what he's talking about

Totally clueless. Nevermind the fact that only something like 2-3% of players ever saw AQ40. Must be catering to casuals...

LOL

not /thread.

Am I the only one that remembers Blizzard trying to make their game more difficult in Cataclysm as a reaction to a dwindling number of subscribers?

Keep in mind that what I am about so say is only my opinion. Purely subjective and not entirely factual.

You can't argue Cata is making it harder in the slightest after patch 4.1.

The difficulty was amped up slightly, then dropped to support a more casual learning curve.

WoW will never see another Ulduar again, which was arguably their best raid (Blizz has stated the cost for making such a zone as their reason), and with the raid finder out and about, they've brought raids down to a level where anyone can run them.

I don't think it's any more difficult than WotLK in the slightest. If anything, it's gotten worse.

WoW

Eve

EQ

Discuss.

WOW was called MMORPG on training wheels by the established MMO Community so claiming it didnt cater to casuals is beyond messed up! All it did was pander to gimme gimme gimme mind sets of the WORST casyual players (there is good ones out there that dont demand everything now).

Eve is not successfull, its operational at most.

EQ you have a point and I fully agree MMORPGs need to stop handing everything away with no effort or thought.

But your dead wrong on WOW and EVE.

LOL

not /thread.

WotLK was the peak. Well actually Cata release was the top for wow. BC lost a bunch and they regrew in wrath and starting dipping down after making the game harder. Was dumb people just left because they couldn't figure out how to cc XX mob ><

Blizzard actually Marketed to the more casual player than EQ! not ******** u EQ players made fun of how casual and easy vanilla WoW was but they grew in vanilla from Casuals. Blizzard has always catered alot of the game to people with less time but give hard content for endgame guilds.

Spine of Deathwing was downed last week after 300+ attempts by the top guild just like LK! the games still hard in raiding on Heroic. PvP is EH but it's always been EH. Its better than it has been(vanilla=raid is top pvp, BC= Mana burn war+Druid/RMP, Wotlk=1sec gcd bursts)

U seem to think WoW was ever catered to the "hardcore" in all honesty they TRIED to make the endgame harder in Cata and LOST subs dude. Wotlk was the highest Subs outside of an Xpac release