Treek/HK-51 Nerfed

Holocron

I don't mind all companions being mechanically identical. Its good for the game if nobody is forced into using a companion they don't like for mechanical purposes.

I would, however, prefer if the unique animations like Treek's Ewok weapons, Holiday, Blizz's rocket launcher, etc. were kept.

Edited by Millardkillmoore

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The next time bounty week comes along, you bring an under level 50 dps toon with plain vanilla dps companion to solo Kingpins. I will give you 1 million credits if you successfully solo it without dying. If you die, you pay me 1 million credits. No heroic moment allowed.

Then you need to learn to play. I've solo'd all of the kingpins with vanilla companions for pretty much as long as that event has existed, and i pretty much always use DPS companions, regardless of whatever roll I'm playing, and I consider myself a player of average skill. With decent(not great) gear on myself and my companions.

If you can't solo those without Treek, then that's on you.

Edited by Uncle_Robo

Good, they were essentially pay to win.

You've made a claim, now defend your position.

HK, in terms of pure numbers was worse than any of the vanilla DPS companions in DPS spec.

Treek, when first introduced, was OP, but she was nerfed to bring her in line. Overall, her tanking is not any better than any other companions (all of which are terrible), and neither is her healing. Her only real advantage is that she can do both.

HK was introduced at a time when the game was sub only, and is a quest reward, not a single cartel coin is required to obtain him (though Free/Preferred will need to obtain the Section X authorization.)

Treek can be obtained through normal gameplay, without spending a single cartel coin, if you have the appropriate legacy level.

Please explain how either of these companions are pay to win.

Treek can be obtained through normal gameplay, without spending a single cartel coin, if you have the appropriate legacy level.

Technically treek can be obtained through normal gameplay but the unlock price is more than the credit limit of a F2P / Preferred. Likewise HK-51 will also require the player to buy an unlock either through cartel coins or something that will most likely cost more than credit limit (since these unlocks generally dont go cheap for reasons)

Basically for non subs theres a big wall that kinda hampers F2P / Prefs from getting either.

edit: just being devils advocate here btw.

Edited by Faardor

You've made a claim, now defend your position.

Irony given the OP and basically everyone here is saying they were better than the other companions and won't be after these changes.

The whole basis of the complaint is that they are being nerfed down to be like the others. #facepalm

Edited by Deyjarl

Technically treek can be obtained through normal gameplay but the unlock price is more than the credit limit of a F2P / Preferred. Likewise HK-51 will also require the player to buy an unlock either through cartel coins or something that will most likely cost more than credit limit (since these unlocks generally dont go cheap for reasons)

Basically for non subs theres a big wall that kinda hampers F2P / Prefs from getting either.

edit: just being devils advocate here btw.

It's fine, the freeloaders aren't contributing to the server rent so their wants & qualms don't really matter. It's why bioware blocked them from in-game customer support.

It's fine, the freeloaders aren't contributing to the server rent so their wants & qualms don't really matter. It's why bioware blocked them from in-game customer support.

the cartel market (which preferreds might have used) is a large portion of the games income however.

Not all f2p players are freeloaders. Some preferred players I know spend more on cartel items than most subs I know.

the cartel market (which preferreds might have used) is a large portion of the games income however.

Heh heh heh, 5 & 10 dollars worth of cartel coins barely gets you a set of adaptable armor and if you can afford to splurge 20+, you can afford a sub. If they aren't rolling in a sub + cartel shinies, there's no viable reason to group them in with the majority of consumers in the cm. If anything, I'd say they were buying whatever they can through the gtn, rather than the market itself. It's the subs and their hypercrate addictions that keep the cm afloat. :o

Edited by Aeristash

Not all f2p players are freeloaders. Some preferred players I know spend more on cartel items than most subs I know.

if f2p actually paid the minimum for cartel coins, they'd be preferred. The fact that they aren't shows how much lint they've contributed to the cause. :rolleyes:

Edited by Aeristash

As long as Treek can still heal while in tank stance and the other comps can't, she will still be the best one.

All npcs will be sharing the same abilities basically.

Unless I read that long

Edited by Talosred

I don't agree that Treek is the best Healer companion. There have been things I have tried to solo using her and Quinn, and I was able to do it with Quinn, and he had slightly worse gear as well.

Nothing can beat a well equipped sith warrior with Quinn has a healer/ Sith Jugg plus him your basically nearly immortal

So as most know Treek is hands down the best Healer/Tank companion in game, and even better than some players. Also HK-51 is the best companion DPS in the game.

Now with the coming kotfe companion changes, and being able to switch all companions to each role, does this mean that Treek/HK just got a inadvertent huge nerf? Since they have essentially standardized all companion dps/healing across the board based on stance, what is going to make those two companions stand out anymore? What would be the incentive to even get them if this is true, other than purely visual?

We don't know that all companions are being standardized across the board. Yes, any companion can fill any role, but that doesn't mean they will all be equally good at those roles. I don't expect Gualt to heal as well as Mako or Mako to tank as well as Skadge or Blizz. Different companions will likely still have certain roles they are better at.

Now granted, for many players Treek may stop being the best healer, but that's not because other companions will be able to heal, it's because it's harder to gain affection with Treek since she never gets affection gains through quest conversations. In 4.0, affection is going to become influence. Unlike affection though, influence will have an impact on combat effectiveness. So if you have Treek's affection at around 4k-6k, and Mako's at around 10k, Mako may, indeed, out perform Treek.

Outliers and Anecdote.

BioWare/EA themselves indicated Subscribers are 80%+ of all Cartel Coin Purchases. So yes, some subs buy less than some preferreds but Subs overall pay far more than preferred.

Preferred and f2p are, as a group, freeloaders. Despite your individual example/anecdote.

Now granted, for many players Treek may stop being the best healer, but that's not because other companions will be able to heal, it's because it's harder to gain affection with Treek since she never gets affection gains through quest conversations. In 4.0, affection is going to become influence. Unlike affection though, influence will have an impact on combat effectiveness. So if you have Treek's affection at around 4k-6k, and Mako's at around 10k, Mako may, indeed, out perform Treek.

Both Treek and HK-51 can get some gains through conversations, but the gain is limited to level 50+ I believe. Just now, Treek picked up points on Oricon, while HK-51 has gained some through the first rakghoul flashpoint.

I think the people thinking all the comps will have uniqueness to their version of the trinity are the ones who are speculating wildly.

Quite simply: Every change made to the game for 4.0 makes it 'dumber'/'easier'. Companions in all other stated ways they are being changed are being made less 'difficult'. They require no equipment, they are scaled automatically to whatever you are scaled to, etc.

So do you think they would actually spend all the time and effort necessary to take the 5 companions per class for a total of 40 companions, and create a unique skill set for all of them in Tank Stance, then another unique skill set in heal stance and yet another unique skillset for DPS stance? We're talking 3-5 skills per each 'stance' likely and three stances per comp + new comps + Akk dogs and etc etc.. so just using the 5 comps per class times 15 skills for three stances = 75 new skills, * 8 for your 8 classes for 600 skills.....then there is your ship droids, for another 15, then HK and Treek for another 30, so 645-650 skills or so just for existing companions, then You add all the KotFE comps.... yeah, I see this as very unlikely that it is anything but the same set of skills with slight different (though likely recycled too in many instances) animations.

Everything they are doing is being done to make things 'simple' If they created unique sets for each companion, there would be a chance for the companions to parse out with one better than the others.... so be prepared for carbon copies beause it really no longer means anything at all which companion are using, its nothing but a paper doll for you to oooh and aaahhh at and diversity is out the door.

Both Treek and HK-51 can get some gains through conversations, but the gain is limited to level 50+ I believe. Just now, Treek picked up points on Oricon, while HK-51 has gained some through the first rakghoul flashpoint.

I got points with HK on Oricon too. Imperial char, DS choices.