Mandatory Level Sync, dumbest idea ever...No POINT in having a level based system.

Suromir

Population's declining dude, for many reasons 'including' lv sync, I don't know the population count, but I'm sure it's not 'many thousands'. There's been quite a few 'quitting the game' 'dropping subscription' threads that's been posted over the past 8 months, not to mention quiet players that either walked away or stopped subbing.

*not trolling, just saying*

I watched another game force changes on players a few years ago. The result was atleast 30% of the population left the game, and it took YEARS for that game to recover, even after reversing some of the changes.

There have always been those "I quit" threads since I started playing in 2013. There are no more now than there have ever been, as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm not the only one as I've seen numerous threads just like this and subscribed to a lot of them so the idea of you projecting your views onto myself in favor of making a point really don't fly with me.

There are atleast a thousand people on here who still hate level sync and think it should be optional, im one of em. It defeats the whole purpose of an MMO or any RPG for that matter, and that is gear. If you are bolstered, or synced down, your gear is basically worthless, same with flashpoints, if they adapt every op and flashpoint and balance it so its challenging for the new higher gear, then what was the point in getting the gear? Just leave it the same, dont add any new levels or new ops or FPs, and just add cut scenes and dialog and cartel packs, because thats basically what bioware has done to the game. Its all about cut scenes, dialog choices that STILL dont matter, yes KOTFE choices do not matter, i havent seen one that does in all my play throughs, it changes very tiny things, nothing huge. The choices in KOTOR 1 and 2 had more effect on the world.

So if you like the game the way it is, keep shelling out 1000s of dollars for cartel packs and they will just keep making them, if you dont, do not buy a cartel pack at all, if everyone boycotted the cartel market, they would be forced to change what they are doing in a month flat or SWTOR would close down due to lack of funds

There are atleast a thousand people on here who still hate level sync and think it should be optional, im one of em. It defeats the whole purpose 6of an MMO or any RPG for that matter, and that is gear. If you are bolstered, or synced down, your gear is basically worthless, same with flashpoints, if they adapt every op and flashpoint and balance it so its challenging for the new higher gear, then what was the point in getting the gear? Just leave it the same, dont add any new levels or new ops or FPs, and just add cut scenes and dialog and cartel packs, because thats basically what bioware has done to the game. Its all about cut scenes, dialog choices that STILL dont matter, yes KOTFE choices do not matter, i havent seen one that does in all my play throughs, it changes very tiny things, nothing huge. The choices in KOTOR 1 and 2 had more effect on the world.

So if you like the game the way it is, keep shelling out 1000s of dollars for cartel packs and they will just keep making them, if you dont, do not buy a cartel pack at all, if everyone boycotted the cartel market, they would be forced to change what they are doing in a month flat or SWTOR would close down due to lack of funds

Where are you getting these numbers?

That's the thing though, we rarely see posts from new players announcing their arrival. Most of them fall into that "quiet players" category who simply join up and start playing. It's a given that gaming forums engender more negative posts than positive. Happy players tend to play rather than post. Plus, the psychology is such that we feel more motivated to grouse than to compliment.

I never dropped sub, but I sure as heck stopped playing SWTOR before the release of KOTFE solely because they announced the "Level Shifter Thingy" was coming. I abhorred the idea. I denounced the game, the developers, and the developers' barbers. I worked to persuade other players to protest with me.

A few months after KOTFE released, I ended my boycott and tried it. I love the "Level Shifter Thingy" ... it's one of my favorite features in SWTOR and I wish the other MMO I play would introduce it.

Yea, I get that.

Lv sync is a decent system and I have nothing against it nor anyone who supports it, but I do have a major problem with forcing players, be they like it or not, to play synced 24/7. From the beginning there should have been at least one non sync instance per server, this for me, is about the choice that BW/EA decided not to include.

I didn't stop subbing immediately when 4.0 dropped, but after seeing there would be no toggle for sync, I downgraded to preferred, and have stayed that way, minus this month for the reward. I've already experienced lv sync in guild wars 2 and left that game because I wanted nothing more to do with that system, so I already knew what to expect when sync was forced into this game.

There's one other reason that sync isn't nearly as painful in this game as GW2, companions.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

• 4 weeks later...
I agree, I was downright pissed when the level sync came into play. The only good thing I see coming from it is to stop higher levels being *****s to the lower levels and stops the higher levels from challenging the lower levels to duels because the lower levels can't win at all. But all in all, I personally believe they should just remove the damn level sync and never bring it back again

Yes lvl sync was a stupid idea, but it did bring a few benefits for me as a solo player when it comes to achievments. I was now able to kill off Base defences with the OP companions! Also since they introduced PVP/PVE instances you could kill the defences without being flagged for PVP :)

Anyway, i still would like lvl sync to be removed and Flashpoints to be set to their original lvls.

There is nothing in this game that should not be done with at least some work, kill achievements, heroics material farming etc is better now. This game is easy enough without needing a further 'god' mode.

If level sync was optional in my opinion you should be rewarded for nothing, so no kills counting towards achievements, no rewards from heroics and world bosses.

There is nothing in this game that should not be done with at least some work, kill achievements, heroics material farming etc is better now. This game is easy enough without needing a further 'god' mode.

If level sync was optional in my opinion you should be rewarded for nothing, so no kills counting towards achievements, no rewards from heroics and world bosses.

As someone who was very leery of Level Sync, after using it now since 4.0, I have to say I think it was BRILLIANT!

I love it! It allows me to group with anyone, help anyone, do anything on any character for XP...the only thing I wish were slightly different is the aggro range, but even that is something I've become accustomed to. It has greatly increased my group activities because I can bring a level 29 along with 65's on Heroics.

I'm very impressed with how well it has been working out. This was a great addition imo.

As someone who was very leery of Level Sync, after using it now since 4.0, I have to say I think it was BRILLIANT!

I love it! It allows me to group with anyone, help anyone, do anything on any character for XP...the only thing I wish were slightly different is the aggro range, but even that is something I've become accustomed to. It has greatly increased my group activities because I can bring a level 29 along with 65's on Heroics.

I'm very impressed with how well it has been working out. This was a great addition imo.

I have to agree with this assessment, my skills in this game is pretty average so my old way of playing this game used to be that I had to overlevel by at least 4 levels over the content and make sure that both mine and my companions gear was updated every 10 levels, when I heard of level sync I was exceptionally wary of the change as it meant I could no longer play the same way as I did before, however it was a change I quickly learned to enjoy as I am a pure story player so I could care less if I hit level 65 on Alderran as it simply means I have 1 less thing to think about, since you keep your abilities trash mobs are killed without any resemblance to a rotation, silver mobs are like half a rotation and gold mobs I do a whole rotation but never really finish it before they die, my companion keeps me up for any shortfalls and mistakes in my rotation and so far I have not come across content that I cannot solo apart from stuff that was never intended to be solo'd.

Going back to do some heroic's on DK barely even slow me down and often I don't even need heal stance on my companions for lower content something that really used to hamper me even when I was overlevelled.

I'm still not a huge fan, but it hasn't been the disastrophe that previews made it look like, and I don't see it going away pretty much ever. At least it lets my high-level characters still find things to do without touching KotFE.

I'm still not a huge fan, but it hasn't been the disastrophe that previews made it look like, and I don't see it going away pretty much ever. At least it lets my high-level characters still find things to do without touching KotFE.

If it were removed now.... I believe there would be a complete and literal meltdown in most of the player base.

And contrary to the "4.0 killed grouping" mantra.... this actually encourages small group play across all levels.... which is socially excellent for friends and guilds wanting to run random characters together to do things.

Edited by Andryah

If it were removed now.... I believe there would be a complete and literal meltdown in most of the player base.

And contrary to the "4.0 killed grouping" mantra.... this actually encourages small group play across all levels.... which is socially excellent for friends and guilds wanting to run random characters together to do things.

Could not agree more. World Bosses, Heroics, defeating commanders are all things my guild does regularly and with level sync anyone can participate with any character they want.

It is stupid, and not just because you are forced down to levels consistent with the planet you are on supposedly but also because one keeps getting xp even when they really shouldn't be. I mean c'mon now a level 31 marauder closing in on 32 on dromund kaas without having even done chapters two or three? Really shows lack of critical thinking not weighing the pros and cons of a decision first before shoving this out there.

Thanks for rez'ing a dead thread.

Sorry for not reading this entire thread. I rarely come to these forums any more.

But I do like the level sync.

I always thought that it was odd that in MMO's once a character gets around 10 levels beyond an areas (planet in SWTORs case), then that player becomes God-Like in that area. Able to pretty much one shot anything and almost everything.

Which in my mind kind of diminishes the Lore in that area when the biggest baddest threat can be one shotted.

I find it especially so in the SWTOR setting since nobody in Lore was ever invincible or God-Like. Sure they were powerful but not immortal.

Jango Fett wouldnt be able to land on Hutta and casually conquer the entire planet with a single hold out blaster.

Level sync helps make the game more realistic in my opinion, plus it allows people of all levels to play together, plus the loot and rewards from even the lowest planet (area) are level appropriate for the players actual level all the while still not crippling the players.

I like it. I think it makes the game more enjoyable and has a lot of benefits.

Just my 2 creds

Idk, I love lvl sync. Two years ago (sort of) I played all the class story and sometimes I tempted to do the daily FP which rewarded me with comm AND exp. This made my toon over leveled and the quests turned grey. The enemies are dead with simple swing of my weapon, it's become boooooring and unsatisfying. It contributed to me finally left for whole 2 years.

Now, I love it. How many FPs I do, I will still be able to see the planetary and class quests to be relevant, even when I've reached lv 65, I still enjoy doing class quest and planetary quests. So, good job Bioware, thank you.

So you say it isnt about challenge. Its not about making it more difficult.

But yet, you are complaining because you cant kill everything as fast as you could if you didnt get leveled down.

That would mean that things take longer to kill. Which in turn means its more difficult then it was before.

I happen to like level sync simply because characters level so quickly that you out leveled most of the story

before you ever got to it. Now it will always be the right level. It also allows you to quest with friends or family

that have just started no matter what level you are.

I have been here since day one. The only things that were ever difficult to kill was the elites. The buff to the companions, not level sync, made it so you can kill the elites.

Edited by kasanth

I have to agree with this assessment, my skills in this game is pretty average so my old way of playing this game used to be that I had to overlevel by at least 4 levels over the content and make sure that both mine and my companions gear was updated every 10 levels, when I heard of level sync I was exceptionally wary of the change as it meant I could no longer play the same way as I did before, however it was a change I quickly learned to enjoy as I am a pure story player so I could care less if I hit level 65 on Alderran as it simply means I have 1 less thing to think about, since you keep your abilities trash mobs are killed without any resemblance to a rotation, silver mobs are like half a rotation and gold mobs I do a whole rotation but never really finish it before they die, my companion keeps me up for any shortfalls and mistakes in my rotation and so far I have not come across content that I cannot solo apart from stuff that was never intended to be solo'd.

Going back to do some heroic's on DK barely even slow me down and often I don't even need heal stance on my companions for lower content something that really used to hamper me even when I was overlevelled.

If TUX, Jedi_Riches, and I all more or less agree something's good, and all Max can say is meh; BW might actually have had a decent idea...

Level Sync has its faults (Sith story ends are a little easier than they really ought to be, and there's a couple of other story fights that should be a TAD more challenging), but when used for the designed purpose, it does well enough.

If TUX, Jedi_Riches, and I all more or less agree something's good, and all Max can say is meh; BW might actually have had a decent idea...

Level Sync has its faults (Sith story ends are a little easier than they really ought to be, and there's a couple of other story fights that should be a TAD more challenging), but when used for the designed purpose, it does well enough.

Yeah I can be a bit picky when it comes to some things can't I :)

But I definitely agree with some of the chapter bosses as it does make the final bosses for the Sith stories slightly disappointing. Either find a way to revert the instance the bosses are in back to level 50 or significantly buff the final bosses as even I find them a joke.

O.o This thread is still going??? I guess it is kinda good to see you're stance go from the worst decision ever made to "it's not a disastrophe at least".

You still dead set on not playing KoTFE at all?

Yeah I can be a bit picky when it comes to some things can't I :)

But I definitely agree with some of the chapter bosses as it does make the final bosses for the Sith stories slightly disappointing. Either find a way to revert the instance the bosses are in back to level 50 or significantly buff the final bosses as even I find them a joke.

I can think of at least one way to do it (they've done something similar in-game already), but it would be way more trouble than it's worth.

Everyone should read the blog series that Raph Koster did on the development of SWG. There are decisions that a team sometimes makes that have long term negative effects on the game and the player base. Imposing a change like level sync on the entire community with no way to opt out is a terrible decision.

Is it a good option for folks of different level to play together? Sure. Is it good for someone while they are leveling? Sure. HOWEVER, it completely cheapens the experience for the veteran players who have spent years developing and gearing their characters. It really takes the wind out of your sails when you take your level 65 bad *** to a planet and see that you're downgraded to level 12 :/

How does it make sense that a level 50 inquisitor which is supposed to be one of the most powerful sith in the empire is one shotted by a level 60 republic trooper (of the NPC variety) on Yavin? Makes sense of course.

How does it make sense that the jedi knight that killed the

the emperor's voice

or the Barsen'thor can be thrown the length of a football field by a knight of Zakuul? The point, none of this makes sense. It's as simple as that.

The point, none of this makes sense. It's as simple as that.

I can't help myself...

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense!