Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Level synch = death of SWTOR

Tahra

I'm not sure on that. In GW2 they used this system to hide the fact that getting 1-80 doing the quests the first time around wasn't possible. It provided more "content" allowing you to repeat older content. In KOTFE 30 minutes into chapter 1 their exp bar barely moved. In the stream of them showing Chapter 3 they were still level 60. It might take repeating older content to actually hit level 65. Increase the grind to give them time to release ops and more KOTFE content.

Considering how they shortchanged people in SOR, this would not shock me one bit.

At this point though, the argument may stand, why bother having levels at all? Just log in, be level 65 and play thru the story. There is really no point to leveling anymore. If every planet you jump to after you pass it just makes you that level, then just make everyone the same level, let them go everywhere and do everything anyways.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, a reasonable argument. They're making changes to harvesting mats though, too.

True.. so if I've got to get those mats no matter what at least it will be short order. With 500 level gathering it appears we will get MORE mats as opposed to a level 1 gathering. Still, not happy about having to deal with mobs I used to just overload or walk right by w/o incident.

I'm not sure on that. In GW2 they used this system to hide the fact that getting 1-80 doing the quests the first time around wasn't possible. It provided more "content" allowing you to repeat older content. In KOTFE 30 minutes into chapter 1 their exp bar barely moved. In the stream of them showing Chapter 3 they were still level 60. It might take repeating older content to actually hit level 65. Increase the grind to give them time to release ops and more KOTFE content.

If this is the case, my characters will not be getting to 65 because I will NOT be doing anything else besides the new chapters. The rest of swtor is dead to me.

You being a max level character scaled down to another freesh player the same as your scaled level will already show your progression, you arn't losing abilities or passives or set bonuses. You're just being scaled down to fit in the max level planet zone. You will still be a strong character.

I will be a strong character yes,but I will not be the character that has progressed through 60 levels and gained power along the way.

But you love the idea, so well, no need to further this discussion. Immersion probably doesn't play a role for you.

I'm sure you felt quite manly about your skillz after smashing those gold mobs with your level 41 maxed-gear character...

Level 32. The max planet level of Tatooine is 32. I didn't feel manly at all, I felt accomplished for doing it and I moved onto Alderaan. Treek does wonders.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

True.

If i go to level 20 planet and i become level 20, what's the point of levels then ? get rid of levels ?

It is very stupid to go to a planet and be level 20, what about open world pvp ? and other things ?

If downscaling goes live, i will never visit and low level planets that's for sure.

LOL how they started the transmission: guys we don't know why is lagging but we will investigate ....LOL!

FAIL

Edited by psikofunkster

Considering how they shortchanged people in SOR, this would not shock me one bit.

At this point though, the argument may stand, why bother having levels at all? Just log in, be level 65 and play thru the story. There is really no point to leveling anymore. If every planet you jump to after you pass it just makes you that level, then just make everyone the same level, let them go everywhere and do everything anyways.

Nonono, that's not their new way of doing things. They will force you into content they want you to do and you will do it their way! What you're describing has way too much freedom in it. Bioware hates freedom. it's un-american. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tahra

I will be a strong character yes,but I will not be the character that has progressed through 60 levels and gained power along the way.

But you love the idea, so well, no need to further this discussion. Immersion probably doesn't play a role for you.

If a member of the Dark Council or the Empire's Wrath goes for a stroll in the woods outside Kaas City, anything dumb enough to attack them SHOULD end up as a puff of greasy black smoke and a nasty stain on the rocks...

Going back to one of the starter planets SHOULD be like an armed and armored grizzly gear getting loose in the chinchilla pen at the petting zoo.

If that's not what Bioware was going for, then they shouldn't have made a level-based game to begin with.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Not subscribing again for awhile after my current sub is up. There's no point or reward in levelling now.

This also FORCES group content for heroics, will be hard to even solo them a little bit now. Usually you could if you're like 2-3 levels higher (on a heroic 2) but not anymore... Guess I'll just skip them

If you knew what damn means, wouldn't ask such a dumb question. Don't try using my lines, they'll only bite you back. :)

damn

dam/Submit

verb

(in Christian belief) be condemned by God to suffer eternal punishment in hell.

"be forever damned with Lucifer"

condemn, especially by the public expression of disapproval.

"intellectuals whom he damns as rigid doctrinaire idealists"

synonyms: condemn, censure, criticize, attack, denounce, revile; More

exclamationinformal

expressing anger, surprise, or frustration.

"Damn! I completely forgot!"

synonyms: darn, damn it, dammit, drat, shoot, blast, doggone (it), goddammit, hell, rats

"Damn! I forgot the keys"

adjectiveinformal

used for emphasis, especially to express anger or frustration.

"turn that damn thing off!"

Quick google search, provided that source. What's your point? You still spelled it wrong, thus proving you have a low IQ.

Yes you will be, you will have all those abilities and passives that you gained from leveling up on top of set bonuses and companions you didn't have at the time.

Also immersion plays a huge role for me since I am an avid RPer when it comes to creating outfits for my rp characters.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

I just want to know, how this *censored* level synch benefits players who are already at lvl-cap? They do not need any extra xp from quests and kills.

So, please, explain how this is supposed to be appealing for players who reached lvl-cap and give exactly zero fricks about xp and need no time-waster fights on the run for some lore item they forgot to grab during leveling?

Not subscribing again for awhile after my current sub is up. There's no point or reward in levelling now.

This also FORCES group content for heroics, will be hard to even solo them a little bit now. Usually you could if you're like 2-3 levels higher (on a heroic 2) but not anymore... Guess I'll just skip them

From what I saw heroic 4s are cut back. (stream showed a heroic 4 turned into 2.) Second off, Who says you can't still be two or 3 levels higher Still? If all works right, they should be green to you that is it. meaning it will still be easy.

damn

dam/Submit

verb

(in Christian belief) be condemned by God to suffer eternal punishment in hell.

"be forever damned with Lucifer"

condemn, especially by the public expression of disapproval.

"intellectuals whom he damns as rigid doctrinaire idealists"

synonyms: condemn, censure, criticize, attack, denounce, revile; More

exclamationinformal

expressing anger, surprise, or frustration.

"Damn! I completely forgot!"

synonyms: darn, damn it, dammit, drat, shoot, blast, doggone (it), goddammit, hell, rats

"Damn! I forgot the keys"

adjectiveinformal

used for emphasis, especially to express anger or frustration.

"turn that damn thing off!"

Quick google search, provided that source. What's your point? You still spelled it wrong, thus proving you have a low IQ.

Yes you will be, you will have all those abilities and passives that you gained from leveling up on top of set bonuses and companions you didn't have at the time.

Also immersion plays a huge role for me since I am an avid RPer when it comes to creating outfits for my rp characters.

I will say from the immersion level that even with those passives/abilities it's still immersion breaking. An acolyte should die in one shot to a council member. Do I need to provide a list of Sith lords and situations where entire GROUPS were one shotted by powerful Sith? I usually don't bring this up because Game Mechanics > Immersion in most cases but don't try to claim it's immersive for them to even put up somewhat of a fight. Lol. Did you see what Nox did to Thanaton?

What about Harkun to the acolyte girl? What about Zash to Faun?

Edited by Rhyltran

And its forced. Not optional.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

You lost entrance to my wallet Bioware and I hope this goes for many others. Really don't get why its not optional and why they thought it was a good idea to force this on everyone. Yes it's nice for those that want it, BUT I DON'T WANT IT!

Agreed. I like the the concept of the system, and the possibilities it opens up - both for open world and for the Flashpoints/Ops. However, having it forced it not something that appeals to me. I will be cancelling both subscriptions shortly and enjoying the content as is until 10/27.

And no. No one is getting my stuff. I am deleting it all.

If you quit over this, You are just looking for a reason to quit. You lose very little and gain a lot with this system. You are still strong enough to not die.

I doubt any one will quit over this, and if they do. It is because they are just looking for reasons to quit. Not because of syncing itself.

Wrong my friend. I put a lot of time an effort into this game and it was one of the top 5 games I have ever played. I was looking for more reasons to play it, and it looked like KotFE was bringing them. FORCED Level syncing killed all that in one shot. I am cancelling my subs and quitting the game exactly because of FORCED level syncing, and the accelerated leveling pace. I think the system is a great idea - as long as its optional. As long as it is NOT optional, I will not be playing the game.

Edited by TravelersWay

From what I saw heroic 4s are cut back. (stream showed a heroic 4 turned into 2.) Second off, Who says you can't still be two or 3 levels higher Still? If all works right, they should be green to you that is it. meaning it will still be easy.

I'm pretty sure it scales you to every thing right? Like 36 area makes you 36.

Either way it's a stupid change and pretty annoying if you have to go back to planets to do little things like bounty contracts

I will say from the immersion level that even with those passives/abilities it's still immersion breaking. An acolyte should die in one shot to a council member. Do I need to provide a list of Sith lords and situations where entire GROUPS were one shotted by powerful Sith? I usually don't bring this up because Game Mechanics > Immersion in most cases but don't try to claim it's immersive for them to even put up somewhat of a fight. Lol. Did you see what Nox did to Thanaton?

Going by that logic, Dooku should have one shot Anakin.

damn

No, because like someone else said, a Dark Council member shouldn't have to worry about anything walking around Dromund Kaas attacking them. One hit and that's it. A mini version of that is immersion killing.

It's diminishing whatever you accomplished through the story, if you don't see that, you're not getting immersion.

So why are rakghouls on Yavin harder to kill than rakghouls on Taris? How is this not immersion breaking in itself???

Going by that logic, Dooku should have one shot Anakin.

Why? Anakin was one of the strongest Jedi in the entire order.

So why are rakghouls on Yavin harder to kill than rakghouls on Taris? How is this not immersion breaking in itself???

They're not Rakghouls. They're a different species. Plus they're saturated in the dark side energy of Yavin IV. Which is one of the most powerful Dark Side nexuses in the galaxy.

Edited by Rhyltran

I'm pretty sure it scales you to every thing right? Like 36 area makes you 36.

Either way it's a stupid change and pretty annoying if you have to go back to planets to do little things like bounty contracts

Not sure, I think what will happen is that the planet will have a max level. So a 26 max level planet you can go up to 28-29 for that planet. He was able to solo stuff just fine being scaled back some so it is a we shall see thing.

When you get lvl synched what happens? Your stats get reduced to the highest lvl that still gains experience(aka 6 lvls above content). You retain your abilities. You retain your utilities. You retain your higher ranks of abilities. In other words your character has gained power, but not in an unrealistic way.

Dueled a guildie tonight. His lvl 30 Sentinel, fully geared to lvl, vs my lvl 60 Guardian standing in his underwear. Not only could he not hit me with his duel lightsabers, I one shot killed him with my bare hands. That to me is immersion breaking.

Can you tell me why Sith Lords and Imperial commandos on Balmorra or Corellia should be less threatening to me than those on Ziost, I mean as far as immersion? Why is it that my lvl 60 Guardian can swat away blaster bolts on Corellia with impunity, but on Ziost they hit him? Both are fired by Imperial commandos.

Lvl synch in the way they are talking seems to be far more immersive. With all your abilities and such you are clearly going to be massively OP if you are top lvl doing anything on the lowbie worlds, you just won't be an immortal god.

That was story telling, this is generic questing. The story telling aspect is you are the only one powerful enough to deal with said enemies. It doesn't matter if you can one shot something or not, from a story perspective you are a powerful individual by the time your class story ends.