Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please make level scaling optional in KotFE

wepeel

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the OP. I enjoy going back to some content and stomping the crap out of it just for shats and giggles. It gets harder and harder on planets to get groups for heroics etc so there have been many many times when I've had to finish them after over-leveling. As a completionist, I like getting all the material done. I hate not being able to finish something simply because I can't find a group for it at the times I'm playing.

Making level scaling optional, like a toggle, would be a perfect solution. Once the expac hits and 12x level perks go poof, it's going to be even harder to find groups for lower level material for those of us who enjoy going through the entire experience. Being able to still complete heroics, FP's etc despite that, is important.

I don't spend a lot of time in the places my character fought and struggled as a raw beginner, but when I do go back there, I expect to tear the place apart like a grizzly bear in a snack shop.

Don't you find it just a bit odd that you are tearing through Dark Temple with ease, even though it seems that even what are probably powerful Sith in the base camp are scared of the ghosts in there?

Don't you find it just a bit odd that you are tearing through Dark Temple with ease, even though it seems that even what are probably powerful Sith in the base camp are scared of the ghosts in there?

They're scared of getting possessed. Not being killed. Plus there is a very very powerful ghost in there storywise. Except the most powerful aren't the ones doing the possessing. Also when people are possessed by Sith Spirits the host matters. The stronger the host the more power the spirit can draw on. Most of the possessed are non-force sensitives and weak apprentices. Not to mention most of the Sith in the base camp are only average Sith to begin with (something by then as an inquisitor/warrior you're already capable of defeating.) so this isn't that surprising.

Remember the Sith that claims to be a Sith lord when he's actually a possessed foreman? If you challenge his claim he shows you "His true power!" He shocks you. A simple shock that you shake off. That's not a lot of power. Then you realize many of the other possessed are taking orders from him because he's apparently stronger than most of them. Yeah..

Edited by Rhyltran

Remember the Sith that claims to be a Sith lord when he's actually a possessed foreman? If you challenge his claim he shows you "His true power!" He shocks you. A simple shock that you shake off. That's not a lot of power.

Because he's trying to convince you to do is his bidding, not kill you.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I don't spend a lot of time in the places my character fought and struggled as a raw beginner, but when I do go back there, I expect to tear the place apart like a grizzly bear in a snack shop.

I would pay good money to see a video of that! :)

The first rule of bears in snack shops is that we don't get in the way of the bear in the snack shop!

Doesn't change the fact that a high-level Dark Council Member/Empire's Wrath should not have equal trouble defeating dead Sith Lords possessing slaves and lowly soldiers and weel-equiped Republic Troops/Jedi Masters in combat. Or as mentionned above, failed acolytes on Korriban and Revanites soldiers.

While levels in game are not always logical, level scaling makes even less sense because you remain average to weak all your life.

That was him showing his power. It was meant to be impressive. Your character is even kind of like "Yeah, whatever. I'll get to the bottom of this." Thing is he's in the body of a foreman. Is the sith impressive? The fact that he can even give a shock in the body of a non force sensitive sure but a Sith spirit in the body of a non force sensitive isn't going to be an impressive Sith Spirit. You see many spirits in game that talk about wanting "A powerful body." this is important.

DIscussion is too long to read as a whole, so don't know if anyone said this, but I never saw a dev post that mentionned scaling down the level from planetary stuff. Heroics and planets will not level sync you, only FPs and operations

Leaked images is where people are getting this from.

Edited by Rhyltran

Leaked images is where people are getting this from.

Oh I see thanks, well I took for granted that they wouldn't change planets when they said something like: "You will still be able to experience planetary stories like pre 4.0" (free quote, that wasn't the actual words but content was something like it).

It would be some really relevant info to share a bit in advance if they do so, else I hope those images are lies/trolls/bolster testings... Guess I should get back to farming kills before 4.0 then, if I want cheevos...

Edited by Eloi_BG

Oh I see thanks, well I took for granted that they wouldn't change planets when they said something like: "You will still be able to experience planetary stories like pre 4.0" (free quote, that wasn't the actual words but content was something like it).

It would be some really relevant info to share a bit in advance if they do so, else I hope those images are lies/trolls/bolster testings... Guess I should get back to farming kills before 4.0 then, if I want cheevos...

I agree. I hope they're fake too. I haven't seen them myself but apparently many people here have. I'll still play if it comes in but I know a few people who won't. Do I think it'll kill the game? No but these are the kind of things the devs NEED to be telling us before the patch hits.

If they are fake would it be so much trouble for Eric Musco to come in here and tell us "Yeah you're worrying for nothing. This isn't happening." and if it is happening can we get a confirmation? I mean, it's a pretty big change.

Edited by Rhyltran

The leaked images come from reliable sources...

That being said, Bioware can still change it before launch, so nothing is set in stone today.

That being said...

IF YOU WANT ACHIEVEMENTS, now is the time... It might become very painful in a month...

I agree. I hope they're fake too. I haven't seen them myself but apparently many people here have. I'll still play if it comes in but I know a few people who won't. Do I think it'll kill the game? No but these are the kind of things the devs NEED to be telling us before the patch hits.

If they are fake would it be so much trouble for Eric Musco to come in here and tell us "Yeah you're worrying for nothing. This isn't happening." and if it is happening can we get a confirmation? I mean, it's a pretty big change.

I don't think they are fake, but that doesn't mean it will happen. The change to AOE in PvP didn't happen from the PTS (where someone was capping a door and you couldn't AOE the whole area to stop them, you had to target them specifically).

Yes, it would be nice if Eric could give us an "up or down" on this one, it is a huge change to the game and effects a lot of stuff for a lot of people.

Even if the answer is, "we haven't decided yet, still considering it", that would be fine as well. The silence is the issue IMHO...

This change in flashpoints; no problem. This change on planets: oh hell no.

I wouldn't quit perse, but I'd sub only once in a while to unlock the new chapters and such to play those. The rest of the game would be dead to me. Not playing dailies like that! Never. Ever.

Ever.

Edited by Tahra

This change in flashpoints; no problem. This change on planets: oh hell no.

I wouldn't quit perse, but I'd sub for a month, play up to chapter 9, wait until a few months later, resub for 1 month, play new content etc. Nothing else would be worth the hassle (again imo). I certainly wouldn't do dailies if I had to do them at the difficulty that they were originally made for. Hell no. Never. Ever.

Ever.

All they have to do is make it optional. I'd actually love that and I'd use that for friends that don't want me just plowing through stuff.

1) No it wasn't difficult to kill them but here's the thing. Now we'll be forced to fight them. Overleveled, if we choose to fight at all, we drop one aoe and they all die. If not we can just run through them anyway. This makes it easier to do achievements or get to certain spots.

2) We do have all our abilities but again where's my "One hit kill all vastly inferior enemies" skill? I won't have any. Here's the thing. Those complaining DON'T WANT TO FIGHT THEM. We already past the planet. We don't want to do it again.

This whole argument isn't that it's difficult to kill trash. It's that we'll have to kill trash. It's also the ludicrous of the whole "I'm a member of the dark council but an initiate (lol) can put up a fight.

You don't have to fight them, at least not most of them. Because even at level they can easily be avoided if you know the knicks and cranny's of getting around. I ran through all the planets AT level and was able to avoid most of the mobs that I didn't want to fight. Also There is this thing called a speeder that can zoom you past most mobs without having to fight them. Far as I can tell you can still hop on that and run past them. So again where's the problem.

And if you have to fight someone, well you just kill them in 2 or 3 hits instead of one [because you still will have better abilities that are past the level.. It's not a bid deal as you all are making it out to be.

Also the whole I am a dark council vs an initiate is ludicrous argument, if I recall your path to your dark council membership involving killing a member Darth when you were mearly an apprentice coming just off of Korriban. RP answer: the initiate is strong in the force

except while overleveled, i can just skip those adds outright. when at level - I cannot, i HAVE to slog through them. regadless of how fast they die, its STILL a slog.

and no, its not great that I cannot solo world bosses anymore. very few people group for them/bother to kill them even now, when they are much easier to down. what makes you think people will want to group for them when they are harder to kill? rewards? they would have to be some amazing rewards, preferably of the "everyone gets one" variety to convince people to bother.

FROM THE OTHER PERSON:

I'll add to what the others said above me by saying that when I don't have to be in game spamming LFG for WB on pretty much any planet and Global Chat for the two hours I am playing and still have to log out with getting nary a response, then maybe not being able to solo WBs would be a good thing. As it is, at this elder stage of the game, WBs are no longer content for a lot of people, so in order to get the achievements, one has to plan on soloing them. Heck, I don't even have enough Guild Members and Allies on at the same time any more to get everyone together to help.

Forced scaling, especially in the open world is a bad, bad idea

The reason no one gathers for world bosses is because they CAN be solo'd. There's no point in forming groups if they can be brought down by yourself. So removing the solo aspect will actually encourage people to group together to down bosses. So I don't see it working out the way you guys believe it will be. I think more groups will form to kill world bosses because of this change. Which is still a great change imo.

All they have to do is make it optional. I'd actually love that and I'd use that for friends that don't want me just plowing through stuff.

If it was optional, then NO ONE would do the scaling. It would defeat the whole purpose of adding it in. Let's just be honest, players will look for the easiest route, plain and simple. Sometimes barriers need to be put in for our own good.

You don't have to fight them, at least not most of them. Because even at level they can easily be avoided if you know the knicks and cranny's of getting around. I ran through all the planets AT level and was able to avoid most of the mobs that I didn't want to fight. Also There is this thing called a speeder that can zoom you past most mobs without having to fight them. Far as I can tell you can still hop on that and run past them. So again where's the problem.

And if you have to fight someone, well you just kill them in 2 or 3 hits instead of one [because you still will have better abilities that are past the level.. It's not a bid deal as you all are making it out to be.

Also the whole I am a dark council vs an initiate is ludicrous argument, if I recall your path to your dark council membership involving killing a member Darth when you were mearly an apprentice coming just off of Korriban. RP answer: the initiate is strong in the force

The reason no one gathers for world bosses is because they CAN be solo'd. There's no point in forming groups if they can be brought down by yourself. So removing the solo aspect will actually encourage people to group together to down bosses. So I don't see it working out the way you guys believe it will be. I think more groups will form to kill world bosses because of this change. Which is still a great change imo.

You didn't kill a council member just getting off korriban. The chapters take place in a 3 year interval. Your character also survives through a lot. An initiate on korriban has not been through the things you have. Also you won't three shot them. If it's like any kind of scaling even if you have more abilities (it just means more options) your ranks in those skills etc is scaled. Stats are scaled. There's a maximum. Would they be easy? Yes but they'd put up some fight. Get hit too many times on a speeder and it crashes. You'll be forced to fight. We don't want to skip "some" of them. We want to skip all of them and not using work around. We earned that right.

Note our characters are also a "once in a generation" sith. If every other random initiate is "That strong." nope. Doesn't make sense.

Edited by Rhyltran

If it was optional, then NO ONE would do the scaling. It would defeat the whole purpose of adding it in. Let's just be honest, players will look for the easiest route, plain and simple. Sometimes barriers need to be put in for our own good.

Absolutely incorrect. I, for one, am looking forward to the FP/Ops scaling as I love to re-run the older FPs like Esseles and Hammer because I enjoy them. The scaling will allow me to enjoy them and now have my higher level characters face a new level of challenge while doing them.

However, there are times where I most certainly want to be overleveled so I can faceroll them - for a myriad of reasons including farming for a particular item, affection gain, or for just something to do quick and easy for 20-30 minutes.

I want the option. I don't want only one way to be forced upon me. I've already only have the faceroll part once my characters level up. While I do want that new challenge, I also do not want the faceroll taken away from me.

Same thing goes for the planetary scaling. I do not want it forced. Most certainly there will be times that I will wish to have my character scaled to the planetary level, and will make use of that quite often. However, once again, I also want that faceroll option so I can use it when I need to.

Scaling turned me off from Oblivion and Guild Wars 2. Forced scaling in SWTOR will most certainly do the same thing.

This is incorrect. I have friends who play that are lower level than me. My fiancee plays and she has many lower level characters. Instead of playing everytime she's on you know what would be amazing? Picking a setting that suddenly allows me to be a lower level for said planet. This way I don't trivialize her content. Suddenly we're playing side by side having a blast. Do you really think if it was optional no one would do it? You really think I'm some one of a kind individual that will make use of it? Truth is no one will make use of it all the time but that's fine.

Even with it if you think the average player is going to suddenly group with you then you're mistaken. People don't do world bosses right now even though they're trivial. You think when there's a challenge to it suddenly everyone will think "You know what? Let's do world bosses!" They won't. You think suddenly people will group for quests? No, they won't.

When I'm leveling a new character if you're not someone I know I'm not going to accept your invite. When level scaling becomes a thing? I'm not going to accept your invite then either. Players like me are the norm. Level scaling or not we're not going to group with you. The leveling will still be fast enough as is that taking the time to group up just isn't worth it.

What will happen is those of us at the max level? We're going to sub. Do the chapters. Finish. Unsub and wait for new chapters.

Edited by Rhyltran

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.