August Livestream Wrap-up

EricMusco

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the companion gear changes mean companions equipped with nightmare gear will still only be just as powerful as the companions of a fresh 65? Will there be no further ways to improve companion performance at end game? How powerful are the companions going to be? As powerful as they would be for a fresh 65 or intended to be as strong as if they're geared in ops gear? Even though gearing companions is a pain (especially during leveling), it's also really cool to get a HK with a 204 MH and watch it go nuts during dailies (not to mention it adds extra replayability to ops by putting drops to further use). Not to mention using overgeared companions to fill in for dced group members in HM FPs. Maybe not having to do an entire set of gear, but 1 or 2 pieces like the weapon and having a companion stat floor for each level would be a good compromise.

When companions share roles, do they get unique or different abilities or will they get the same (but renamed) abilities like they do now? I saw Lana use Force Barrier in the demo (which isn't available to any of the healers now) - will the companions have more differentiated abilities based on their story and be less cookie cutter?

Also, what criteria(s) are used to decide which characters get to be companions?

Edited by FireFoxed

So what I got out of the Livestream. We are going to have story with consequence that has NO consequence on your game play if you are a current player because if the story says "no they are no longer your companion" you can still play with them if they are your favorite. bad immersion. Also all companions can be all things... dps, tank or heals. So again bad for immersion... BUT this is all about the story, story is about immersion. If you can not be immersed in the story the story is BAD.

Thank you for confirming it is about attracting a lot of new players first and for most though.

Now that gear for companions is for aesthetics only, is it possible that we can get the old green starter gear back for them somehow? I know I have a few companions that came with gear that really fit their character, but because it was green it has since been vendored. Some of these it's especially hard to find appropriate gear for. For example, Lord Scourge. It's really not possible to recreate his original look because any gear that looks like that is restricted to the Imp side.

I have spent a very long time to REALLY deck out companion A. I mean companion A has a full set of Elite or Ultimate com gear. Now companion A's power and effectiveness will be based on my level / stats. Does this leave them less powerful than they were?

This is how I am seeing this going down and this makes me sad. The fact that we can not group makes this more upsetting to me because I want to be over powered to get through story related big fights.

Can you elaborate on how effective they will be now with this new change?

Also I have cartel weapons on some companions. Will we have the option to have the weapons be custom as well?

Edited by Eru-Iluvatar
Adding info

Obviously Kira will not have a dialogue and reaction to character Kira appearing in say, Chapter 7. Assuming your resummoned-Kira is even allowed inside the instance, she will just stand there mute while the REAL story canon Kira will be doing the talking.

I'm not asking about what happens if you try to bring resummoned!companion to a story area they are involved in.

Eric's post states:

When Fallen Empire launches, all of your existing Companions remain accessible to you outside of the story Chapters. In the KotFE story there is a specific cast of characters that is a part of that ongoing storyline.

I'm asking what "remaining accessible to you outside of the story chapters" actually means in practical terms. Do they react to choices you make in areas they are allowed in? Do they have location-based commentary like on Makeb or Rishi/Yavin? Or are they mute and gameplay-only? Does any later appearance in the story affect what content we get with them?

Or, to use Kira as an example.. My knight summons Kira outside of the story parts she is involved in. What am I getting non-gameplaywise?

Edited by Lesaberisa

If we have a new compadre of Companions, how will that affect the layout of your personal Starship (ie if you don't have x companion from your story, will he/she be gone from their location and replaced by the new comp?) and will there be new conversations with the new companions so you can learn more about them as you did with your classic ones?

Now that gear for companions is for aesthetics only, is it possible that we can get the old green starter gear back for them somehow? I know I have a few companions that came with gear that really fit their character, but because it was green it has since been vendored. Some of these it's especially hard to find appropriate gear for. For example, Lord Scourge. It's really not possible to recreate his original look because any gear that looks like that is restricted to the Imp side.

I assume there is a NO GEAR appearance that defaults to their starting appearances (i.e. Kira in the cutscene from the stream).

So what I got out of the Livestream. We are going to have story with consequence that has NO consequence on your game play if you are a current player because if the story says "no they are no longer your companion" you can still play with them if they are your favorite. bad immersion. Also all companions can be all things... dps, tank or heals. So again bad for immersion... BUT this is all about the story, story is about immersion. If you can not be immersed in the story the story is BAD.

Thank you for confirming it is about attracting a lot of new players first and for most though.

They aren't forcing you to play with Khem as a healer, or to bring out Kira when story-wise you're still supposed to be trying to find out what happened to her.

The guy with Eric even said that he strongly suggests that, for the best experience, people should play through with the scripted companions as they are prompted through the narrative.

It's just that the game isn't mechanically forcing you to do so - so if "xXL33TJED1Xx420" happens to care more about having Vette at his side in a slave-girl outfit than he cares about whether or not it makes sense for the story, he'll have that option for his own gaming experience. Since it seems like it's all personal phases, that choice shouldn't affect your play-through or your immersion experience at all.

I know I'll be playing through with the scripted companions - precisely for the sake of "immersion" - and the game is giving me that option.

Edited by DarthDymond

Or, to use Kira as an example.. My knight summons Kira outside of the story parts she is involved in. What am I getting storywise?

Nothing, I would assume, as she is not, actually part of the story. You get a DPS companion with Kira's skin.

EDIT - Or a tank, or a healer companion with Kira's skin.

Edited by Stryges

will companions attack when you attack or will they still only attack when you are being attacked?

Also this, will companion AI be improved or will some of them still take so long to even notice that combat has started you have already killed most of the mobs by the time they attack.

I agree to be honest. If some companions do not actually rejoin our team within the STORY, then the gameplay option is just bizarre. They should've just blocked those who don't trully return to our squad.

I agree to be honest. If some companions do not actually rejoin our team within the STORY, then the gameplay option is just bizarre. They should've just blocked those who don't trully return to our squad.

And take the heat from a wave of angry fanboys, demanding that their favourite companion be returned to them at once? Yeah, sure.

Thanks for the live stream despite the minor hiccup! I am looking forward to playing the finished product.

A few questions:

1. Will there be interaction in game with other characters in my legacy? I have characters in my legacy that are married to one another, it would make sense for their spouse to make an appearance.

2. Are there any plans for a new player species?

3. Can we customize our star ships like we do our Galactic Strongholds? And to the same effect can we choose which star ship we would like to use?

4. Is it possible to add advanced controls for the interface design? It would be helpful to be able to lock interface elements to a grid while arranging.

Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.